Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Riding the Brissett Train

Scott Pennock

I think the bottom line here is Ballard sees alot in Kelly....So he made a mistake...we all do...it just that it seen more when you are in the media....I think if we go with Brisset were are looking at another rebuilding year.... I believe we have a better chance of winn5with Kelly, the kid has a arm....

4 minutes ago, MAv said:

I think the bottom line here is Ballard sees alot in Kelly....So he made a mistake...we all do...it just that it seen more when you are in the media....I think if we go with Brisset were are looking at another rebuilding year.... I believe we have a better chance of winn5with Kelly, the kid has a arm....

Brissett  has an arm  to

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MAv said:

Brissett is the starter.   Unless he is completley terrible,  he is the starter.   The end

• Like 1

Going with Brissett does not equal a rebuilding year. Honestly I think with what we have on the plate now he should show to be just as good or better a QB than Dak Prescott and that's good enough to get you in the playoffs.  I'm confident he's at least that good of a QB.  Especially if Reich gets what he wants out of the running game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Going with Brissett does not equal a rebuilding year. Honestly I think with what we have on the plate now he should show to be just as good or better a QB than Dak Prescott and that's good enough to get you in the playoffs.  I'm confident he's at least that good of a QB.  Especially if Reich gets what he wants out of the running game. 

Yea dak is terrible 

23 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here to balance what seems to be the way over hyping this team from some on here.

Before the Luck saga a few were saying we were due for a down year.  The preseason showed we cannot run the ball even with 90% of our starting o-line. Look I really like Jacoby. He is the perfect backup in this league.  He is the ultimate pro. If the preseason imo is any indication how this season goes its going to start exactly like last year where we put ourselves in a big hole early. The problem is we dont have a top 10 QB anymore who can pull miracles out his butt while putting the team on his back at all costs.. Jacoby deserves better and quite frankly he knows this is Lucks team and its going to be super rocky early on getting everyone on the same page.   This is less about Kelly than it is JB.  

Now lets flip my argument and put a new twist on it.  Irsay coming out after the initial reports saying he wouldn't rule out Luck coming back makes me think Luck might be struggling with something else right now that has less to do with injuries. I can

see the Ballards logic to keep JB around if there is even a small chance that happens.

The problem with that scenario is Indy pretty much burned that bridge when they booed

Luck off the turf.  Who knows but its interesting to think about. Either way I will be rooting for the Colts regardless who the QB is.  

Was listening to the stampede blue podcast. They did a updated prediction. They still go 12-4.  JB is in the perfect situation. From what I understand he has already been one of the leaders in the locker room. He is the one that called the player only meeting after going 1-5. Mahomes is great but he was one play away from the SB because he already had a great team around him. This is not a rebuilding year with JB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What makes me nervous is the national media is saying this doesn’t effect the team much. So trying to get the team to take on the under dog role will be hard.

Power rankings dropped us between  21-25 range

I know JB didn’t play in  a SB. But he was there for the SB and has seen how things are done. He has learned from Brady and Luck. He says he is always watching film and prepares as if he was going to start each week. Not trying to change anyone’s opinions but let’s sit back and relax. This could be a fun a magical year. So many stories of this team makes it to the playoffs. 2017 was basically his rookie year.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I know JB didn’t play in  a SB. But he was there for the SB and has seen how things are done. He has learned from Brady and Luck. He says he is always watching film and prepares as if he was going to start each week. Not trying to change anyone’s opinions but let’s sit back and relax. This could be a fun a magical year. So many stories of this team makes it to the playoffs. 2017 was basically his rookie year.

We'll know after the first five games 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MAv said:

confused gary coleman GIF

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I sure think it would fun to see a baker verses JB in the playoffs.  JB personality is so different then lucks.

I hope to see JB play well early on, building confidence each week to the point where he is talking % and fired up in games like Mayfield or Brady. Andrew just didn't bring the visible energy to games very often. Not that it makes a difference, I just want to see that kind of hype in this team all around and JB can lead it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I hope to see JB play well early on, building confidence each week to the point where he is talking % and fired up in games like Mayfield or Brady. Andrew just didn't bring the visible energy to games very often. Not that it makes a difference, I just want to see that kind of hype in this team all around and JB can lead it. 

If we do win games with him I think we will see it from JB. It really could make this team fun to watch.  Even better then last year.

21 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Disagree... if you would have said this last year and followed up with "told you so" you would have been dead wrong on what was to come the 13 weeks to follow. 

I won’t be surprised if it takes the team a couple games to get adjusted with JB. Hopefully the defense steps up to help us through that transition.

Run game likely will prove ineffective in a "Brisset, show me" approach by Colts opponents. And really, outside of Mack, who is a real plus at rb for the Colts. That hurts Brisset too. I think Brisset will prove to be an Andy Dalton. Kelly will ultimately get his chance. The final chapter of the 2019 story will be the Colts heavily watching qb tapes for next year's draft.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

Run game likely will prove ineffective in a "Brisset, show me" approach by Colts opponents. And really, outside of Mack, who is a real plus at rb for the Colts. That hurts Brisset too. I think Brisset will prove to be an Andy Dalton. Kelly will ultimately get his chance. The final chapter of the 2019 story will be the Colts heavily watching qb tapes for next year's draft.

Brissett should have no issue though getting it down field. If he does I agree it will hurt the run game.

4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I don't really understand the rush to proverbially fall into bed with Chad Kelly.  Kelly hasn't done what he did against first string opponents.  Brissett has several orders of magnitude more experience than Kelly is ever likely to have.

I can only come to the conclusion that people are afraid of what Brissett's going to do, they don't trust him, and so are irrationally clinging to an illusionary alternative.

Because if you realy look at what Kelly is, it's not that easy to tell him apart from 2017 Nathan Peterman or 2011 Curtis Painter.

Kelly isn't just beating the backups hes literally beating the hell out of them with sub par talent around him. he was a better college QB than JB and is by far more athletic and has 10 times better pocket awareness. it's not hard to see why fans like him. he has never been given a chance to show what he can do as a starter on a good team in the NFL.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Kelly isn't just beating the backups hes literally beating the hell out of them with sub par talent around him. he was a better college QB than JB and is by far more athletic and has 10 times better pocket awareness. it's not hard to see why fans like him. he has never been given a chance to show what he can do as a starter on a good team in the NFL.

Neither has JB.

I want to ride this train, I really do... but I have to admit that I am still nervous about Brissett.  I just feel like he wasn’t “all the way” ready to become the starter just yet.  Like a baby who was really good at getting around by crawling and is now expected to become a track star runner all of a sudden.  I feel like there was still some fine tuning that was needed.

But I am hoping that I am GROSSLY underestimating him and that he will amaze us all! Go Brissett!

believe just do it GIF by Victoria's Secret PINK

Chad Kelly is why Ole Miss put up 91 freaking points in 2 games against Saban’s Bama D. 

In 2015, only three teams scored more than 20 points against that D: A&M scored 23. Deshaun Watson’s Tigers scored 40. Chad Kelly’s Rebels scored 48 and won in Tuscaloosa, giving Bama their only loss that year.

In 2016, Kelly put up 421 yards, 43 yards rushing, and 43 points against Bama’s top ranked defense in the country.

Brissett only passed for more than 250 yards 6 times in 26 games in a weak ACC. Only 3 of those were against D-1 opponents. Kelly did that 16 times in just 22 games in the SEC. 15 of which were against D-1 opponents. Kelly went over 300 yards 12 times. Brissett did it just once.

If you think Jacoby Brissett had the moxy, arm talent, and football awareness to put up 826 total yards by himself against Bama’s No.1 ranked defense in 2 games, then I’ve got a bridge to sell you. 

Kelly has the ability to be a star if given the chance. JB is at the very best a solid game manager. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is saying he is luck. But you don’t need a luck to win a SB. Yes it makes it easier but that is a luxury. How in the heck did the eagles win a SB with Nick Foles. That’s right they had a great team around him. Fact is this offense doesn’t have to change with JB.

Let's not fall into the trap of making out that Foles was a random guy who just happened to fall lucky with the team around him. He had already been to a pro-bowl, replaced Michale Vick and had one of the best statistical seasons ever. Yes he'd lost his way - as you'd expect of a back up - but he had more residual talent than most second string guys.  Brissett is very likely never to be as good as Foles was in 2013 let alone 2017.

I don't know how good Brissett could be, nobody does to an extent, but it's all just hope with no substance.

In the cold light of day if a quarterback who we literally swapped for Philip Dorsett comes in and even semi-replaces someone like Luck it will be up there with the most miraculous NFL stories ever.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

And has started 15 games for the colts.

The Kelly stuff is just off the wall to me.

then you can't judge talent any better than Ryan Grigson. he clearly has talent idk if he will be a great starter but his talent alone warrants a shot as a starter.

after what JB has shown the ones automatically thinking hes gonna have 35 TDs and 3500 yards seem off the wall to me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MAv said:

IMHO this grass-is-greener mentality is more likely to burn us than help us

• Like 1

I have found this analysis of Brisett's perfomance on ESPN.com (haven't seen posted here, if still just ignore it):

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-there-much-hope-for-the-colts-with-jacoby-brissett-as-qb/?addata=espn:nfl:teams

NB! This statistic is based on JB's only full year in 2017, when Pagano was the coach. I hope Reich (and Tom House) coached him up in this last offseason.

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I won’t be surprised if it takes the team a couple games to get adjusted with JB. 

Why?   He's been on the team for a couple years.   Luck hasn't been running the offense in training camp.   He should be as ready as he could be.   

I think he'll have an above average season.  8-10 wins 25 TD's, 10 INT's and it will put the Colts into a tough spot in the offseason.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Why?   He's been on the team for a couple years.   Luck hasn't been running the offense in training camp.   He should be as ready as he could be.   

I think he'll have an above average season.  8-10 wins 25 TD's, 10 INT's and it will put the Colts into a tough spot in the offseason.  

You might be right. I just think game situations might be a little.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

You might be right. I just think game situations might be a little.

I really hope Brissett does well.  I just haven't seen it.  Sure the 2017 team was bad and JB was thrown into it, but he still played 16 games and had only 13 TD's.   In his preseason games, he's looked OK, but not great.   Just saying that all I have to go on is that some coaches have said he is a very good QB.     It's enough to give me hope, but not confidence.  

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

And has started 15 games for the colts.

The Kelly stuff is just off the wall to me.

Again, if you think it is off the wall, I can only assume you haven't watched the preseason games or just really aren't paying much attention.

This guy studies NFL QB's film, has no affiliation to the Colts or Ole Miss, and is practically drooling over Kelly's skillset that he has shown in the past few weeks. If you think Brissett can make that throw at 11:20, then this dialogue just needs to stop.