Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
csmopar

The moment Jacoby found out

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Again,  if the team got out in front of the leaked news,   I don't think any booing occurs.    Fans finding out on Twitter mid game was a PR disaster.   I'm not sure who is to blame,   but it's not the fans

 

I posted that in response to the OP. According to this quote, Brissett has had conversations with Luck about this. It seems he was aware of it. But conspiracy theories continue... 

 

As for the booing, I believe some folks would boo no matter what. I heard that some Colts fans set Luck jerseys on fire. What kind of craziness is that! You spend all that money on a jersey and you set it on fire? Give it to charity if you don't want to wear it. I'll give some the benefit of the doubt and assume they were drunk. 

 

The whole thing is sad.

(Note: I am aware that all fan bases have fans that would do this, not just Colts fans.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

You know what?     You're probably right.

 

But after the hometown fans booed Luck off the field,  I think Indy just shot itself in the foot trying to be a good destination for future free agents.     Good luck trying to get guys to come here in the future. 

 

Ballard came THIS CLOSE to scolding the fan base in his big presser yesterday,  and then stopped himself right in the middle.

 

It was such a terrible thing for the fans to have done.    Bad look for the franchise and the city.

 

Boo Andrew Luck who has given all he could give.     Mob rule gone mad.     You and others here may like it,   but I don't think it was helpful to the franchise.

 

While I would not have booed, there is nothing illegal about it, they were not throwing bottles, and if someone wants to pay to watch preseason football football they can boo the referees, the QB, the coach,kicker, receivers, defense, o-line, running-back, family, other crowd members, owner, anyone you want to. I also think luck's teammates have every right to defend Luck and call out the boo-birds, so I don't feel anyone is wrong in the situation. If booing was that bad on a long term health of the franchise, the Philadelphia Eagles would have been out of business a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, horseshoepower said:

While I would not have booed, there is nothing illegal about it, they were not throwing bottles, and if someone wants to pay to watch preseason football football they can boo the referees, the QB, the coach,kicker, receivers, defense, o-line, running-back, family, other crowd members, owner, anyone you want to. I also think luck's teammates have every right to defend Luck and call out the boo-birds, so I don't feel anyone is wrong in the situation. If booing was that bad on a long term health of the franchise, the Philadelphia Eagles would have been out of business a long time ago.

 

"It is not.....       Illegal?"

 

Nice straw man!       Who was talking about that?      That would be.....    no one.

 

No one was questioning whether anyone had the right.    Of course they do.

 

We were questioning whether it was.......     smart?      And now,  most seem to think,  well, maybe not so much.     It may have felt good in the moment,   but long-term,  was it a good idea?   Not really.    Not a good look.    Not for the franchise.    Not for the fans.    Not for the community.   Just not a good look for anyone.    Of course it was legal.   Just not very smart.

 

Really....   that's all....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Hey NCF,

 

I know you're a huge Andrew Luck fan, as am I. If you want to (and only if you want to) can you provide your thoughts on Andrew's retirement?

 

The reasoning, the timeline, how it was fumbled. Would like to get your thoughts, but only if you're up to it.

 

Flash,  thanks for asking.

 

Yes, I think I'll make a post in the next day or two.    I was trying to do more homework before posting anything like this.    Luck's presser wasn't very helpful.   He spent 15 minutes thanking everyone he's ever met,  and the next 10 minutes answering questions that you couldn't hear what they were?     And I think a number of questions weren't even asked.   Very disappointing.

 

I don't think the Ballard, Irsay, Reich presser was very helpful either.     Oh well...

 

I'll have something up pretty soon....    and again,  I appreciate you asking...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 1:13 AM, NewColtsFan said:

 dis

You're 100 percent right.    And then some.    Not only are you not the only one,  I'm confident when I say that those against Luck doing what he did far outnumber those who support him.

 

In one decision, Luck destroyed all the good will he had earned for the last 7 years.    As I just said to another poster,  booing Luck off the field is not a good look to the rest of the NFL.    I don't think the fan base did the franchise any favors.    A terrible weekend for the Colts just got worse by how the fans reacted....

 

Oh well...

 

The fan reaction was understandable, you have three choices right? Applaud, boo, do nothing.  The booing was in the shock of the moment, the massive and gut wrenching disappointment to losing Super Bowl aspirations, the franchise future, the prodigal son.  Thanks to Twitter dregs like Shefter a proper good bye was stolen by social media and shocked fans in attendance.  I didn't even believe it as I watched the game, thought it was a hoax. The whole fan reaction is well over played...massively over played.  The true test for Indy fans is do they still show up to support this team.  Chances are they will not as Indy is only a good football town if they are winning, now that part will be the real shame.  Good luck to Andrew and let's go Jacoby and Chad!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 12:11 AM, NewColtsFan said:

 

You know what?     You're probably right.

 

But after the hometown fans booed Luck off the field,  I think Indy just shot itself in the foot trying to be a good destination for future free agents.     Good luck trying to get guys to come here in the future. 

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum in a long time.  No free agent in the is going to base, even a part of his decision,  on how fans reacted when they found out, during a game, their franchise QB is retiring.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:11 AM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Ballard came THIS CLOSE to scolding the fan base in his big presser yesterday,  and then stopped himself right in the middle.

 

It was such a terrible thing for the fans to have done.    Bad look for the franchise and the city.

Ok, this is almost as ridiculous as above.  I'm not a fan of the fans booing, but only small minded people would think it is any reflection on the franchise or the city.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:11 AM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Boo Andrew Luck who has given all he could give.     Mob rule gone mad.     You and others here may like it,   but I don't think it was helpful to the franchise.

 

Kind of hard to say Luck gave all he could give, it's not like he suffered a career ending injury, he just didn't feel like fighting any more.  He gave up on himself as a football player and he gave up on the team.   I completely understand his reasoning for it, he has loves and interest outside of football and he could not devote the time to his other interests as he wanted because he had to spend so much time rehabbing etc.  But whether his reasons are sound doesn't matter, he still gave up on himself and on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 1:11 AM, NewColtsFan said:

 

You know what?     You're probably right.

 

But after the hometown fans booed Luck off the field,  I think Indy just shot itself in the foot trying to be a good destination for future free agents.     Good luck trying to get guys to come here in the future. 

 

Ballard came THIS CLOSE to scolding the fan base in his big presser yesterday,  and then stopped himself right in the middle.

 

It was such a terrible thing for the fans to have done.    Bad look for the franchise and the city.

 

Boo Andrew Luck who has given all he could give.     Mob rule gone mad.     You and others here may like it,   but I don't think it was helpful to the franchise.

 

At the end of the day...the booing won't matter.  I don't condone it but I certainly understand it.  It was not towards Luck the man, the player as much as it was about the timing and the way the whole situation was handled by the Colts and even Luck himself.  Anyway, for what it's worth, a lot of the national media has actually been sympathetic of the booing Colts fans.  Stephen A among some others...it is generally understood that the circumstances in that moment in their entirety contributed to that reaction by some.  Fans are entitled to their genuine reaction and can boo if they want to.  As long as they are not physically harming anyone...what's the problem? Can't tell people what or how they should feel in the moment especially when emotions are so raw and franchise altering news of that caliber is broken to a fan base with cameras shoved in their faces recording for posterity their pain and anguish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum in a long time.  No free agent in the is going to base, even a part of his decision,  on how fans reacted when they found out, during a game, their franchise QB is retiring.

Ok, this is almost as ridiculous as above.  I'm not a fan of the fans booing, but only small minded people would think it is any reflection on the franchise or the city.

Kind of hard to say Luck gave all he could give, it's not like he suffered a career ending injury, he just didn't feel like fighting any more.  He gave up on himself as a football player and he gave up on the team.   I completely understand his reasoning for it, he has loves and interest outside of football and he could not devote the time to his other interests as he wanted because he had to spend so much time rehabbing etc.  But whether his reasons are sound doesn't matter, he still gave up on himself and on the team.

 

If you sincerely think THIS, the above,  is the most ridiculous thing you've read in this forum in a long time,   then I think you haven't been reading things here for a very, VERY long time.

 

Did you happen to read the endless thread on Luck's retirement?    The one that's over 1,000 posts long?    And none of that bothered you more?    And my post bothers you to this extent? 

 

That's classic.   Not surprising given our.....   (ahem...)   close and deep friendship here...

 

I always know I'm saying something decent when you launch one of your typical scud missiles at me.    Just so predictable....    But thanks for brightening my day!      

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

At the end of the day...the booing won't matter.  I don't condone it but I certainly understand it.  It was not towards Luck the man, the player as much as it was about the timing and the way the whole situation was handled by the Colts and even Luck himself.  Anyway, for what it's worth, a lot of the national media has actually been sympathetic of the booing Colts fans.  Stephen A among some others...it is generally understood that the circumstances in that moment in their entirety contributed to that reaction by some.  Fans are entitled to their genuine reaction and can boo if they want to.  As long as they are not physically harming anyone...what's the problem? Can't tell people what or how they should feel in the moment especially when emotions are so raw and franchise altering news of that caliber is broken to a fan base with cameras shoved in their faces recording for posterity their pain and anguish.

 

Screw the national media....     yeah,  I said it.

 

Have you not been seeing the players reactions?      Aaron Rodgers?    Richard Sherman?    Countless others?      None of that registers?     I don't see the Colts getting a pass here.

 

Look,  I'd be happy to be wrong.   I'd always prefer to be wrong if it's better for the Colts.   Always.     But a small market franchise likes ours can't afford to be doing things like that.   We need all the advantages and breaks we can get.   I hope people will come to regret this.

 

Maybe the reaction will be different when Luck goes in to the Ring of Honor......   hopefully.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Screw the national media....     yeah,  I said it.

 

Have you not been seeing the players reactions?      Aaron Rodgers?    Richard Sherman?    Countless others?      None of that registers?     I don't see the Colts getting a pass here.

 

Look,  I'd be happy to be wrong.   I'd always prefer to be wrong if it's better for the Colts.   Always.     But a small market franchise likes ours can't afford to be doing things like that.   We need all the advantages and breaks we can get.   I hope people will come to regret this.

 

Maybe the reaction will be different when Luck goes in to the Ring of Honor......   hopefully.

 

I think you are making too much over it personally.  When Luck is inducted in the ring of honor I am confident that he will be cheered.  Under a totally different set of circumstances where the Colts handled the Luck retirement more competently the booing would have never happened.  It did but it’s not the end of the world and Indianapolis and Colts fans will be fine.  Do you think Colts fans are the only ones who would have booed Saturday night? I guarantee you that most NFL fan bases would have had individuals to do the same if it was their beloved franchise affected.  It’s easy for them to get up on their soap boxes and judge us until they find themselves in a similar situation.  

 

As for the active players...they usually try to say the politically correct thing.  Players will stick together generally.  But who knows what some players really are feeling deep down? If they thought Luck was a quitter do you think they would really risk saying it?  They are focusing on getting ready for their season for their respective teams and don’t need to say anything that would inject themselves into this mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

If you sincerely think THIS, the above,  is the most ridiculous thing you've read in this forum in a long time,   then I think you haven't been reading things here for a very, VERY long time.

Witty.  Did you think of that all by yourself?

On 8/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Did you happen to read the endless thread on Luck's retirement?    The one that's over 1,000 posts long?    And none of that bothered you more?    And my post bothers you to this extent? 

I never said you post bothers me, I just think what you posted is ridiculous.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

That's classic.   Not surprising given our.....   (ahem...)   close and deep friendship here...

 

I really have no idea what this even means or what you're referring to.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I always know I'm saying something decent when you launch one of your typical scud missiles at me.    Just so predictable....    But thanks for brightening my day!      

 

I'm glad I could brighten your day.  A lot of people say that about me.  i'm not sure what scud missile you are referring to though.  I just called out a ridiculous post for being a ridiculous post.  I do the same thing when I see a ridiculous post from anyone.  Contrary to your belief, you're not special... you just made some off the wall observations and comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 8:53 PM, w87r said:

He definitely told him something that had him like wt.f

 

Both Luck and Brissett had said that they had the conversation earlier.  

 

So I'm thinking maybe Luck was telling him that the news got leaked or something?  

 

I just have a hard time believing that Luck would drop it on him on the sidelines.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Witty.  Did you think of that all by yourself?

I never said you post bothers me, I just think what you posted is ridiculous.

I really have no idea what this even means or what you're referring to.

I'm glad I could brighten your day.  A lot of people say that about me.  i'm not sure what scud missile you are referring to though.  I just called out a ridiculous post for being a ridiculous post.  I do the same thing when I see a ridiculous post from anyone.  Contrary to your belief, you're not special... you just made some off the wall observations and comments.

 

No.   You see...   you don't even know what you wrote.    Typical.

 

You didn't just call my post ridiculous.     You called it THE MOST ridiculous post you had seen in a very long time.      See how that's different?     I'm trying to help here...   using small words so you can understand.

 

Look.....   you've been exposed.    Your shots at me are personal.   They're not logical or factual.  They're just personal shots because that's what gets you off.    You know,  our deep personal friendship.

 

We might as well both agree that if you're responding to one of my posts,   it's going to be with an insult.     The day you swallow your pride and ego and write something positive to me I'll be checking the weather in Hell to see if it somehow froze over?

 

You're boring and tiring.    You're wasting your time and mine.    I get it,  you don't like me or what I write.    Just to be clear,  I don't lose any sleep over what you think of me.

 

Enjoy your life....    but considering your handle here,  you might want to consider mixing in a little decalf every now and then.     You don't seem to handle regular all that well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 10:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

"It is not.....       Illegal?"

 

Nice straw man!       Who was talking about that?      That would be.....    no one.

 

No one was questioning whether anyone had the right.    Of course they do.

 

We were questioning whether it was.......     smart?      And now,  most seem to think,  well, maybe not so much.     It may have felt good in the moment,   but long-term,  was it a good idea?   Not really.    Not a good look.    Not for the franchise.    Not for the fans.    Not for the community.   Just not a good look for anyone.    Of course it was legal.   Just not very smart.

 

Really....   that's all....

 

If you weren't in the stands at the very moment the fans found our via Twitter the Franchise is retiring,  then you have no idea what they were going through.    If he took a curtain call at the home opener,   the applause would far out weigh the boos.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If you weren't in the stands at the very moment the fans found our via Twitter the Franchise is retiring,  then you have no idea what they were going through.    If he took a curtain call at the home opener,   the applause would far out weigh the boos.  

 

Yes, I have no idea what fans were going through.

 

Here's a question?     When was the last time something like this happened?    When fans booed the hometown hero over something other than....   you know....   a bad interception.

 

This kind of thing just doesn't happen.

 

I agree, if this had been handled better,  the reaction would've been better.    Not sure it would've been all that great....    the home opener 3 weeks after the retirement....    I dont 'know if the applause would've been all that warm.      I noticed here someone posted would Luck eventually be inducted into the Ring of Honor.     I noted a poster, who I thnk is one of the better ones here thought it would be best if Luck and his wife moved out of town.    Away from Indy.

 

I don't pretend to know the Indy fan base all that well....   but judging based on what I read here,  I think the warm farewell might've been.......      a little.....  tepid

 

Just a guess....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Yes, I have no idea what fans were going through.

 

Here's a question?     When was the last time something like this happened?    When fans booed the hometown hero over something other than....   you know....   a bad interception.

 

This kind of thing just doesn't happen.

 

I agree, if this had been handled better,  the reaction would've been better.    Not sure it would've been all that great....    the home opener 3 weeks after the retirement....    I dont 'know if the applause would've been all that warm.      I noticed here someone posted would Luck eventually be inducted into the Ring of Honor.     I noted a poster, who I thnk is one of the better ones here thought it would be best if Luck and his wife moved out of town.    Away from Indy.

 

I don't pretend to know the Indy fan base all that well....   but judging based on what I read here,  I think the warm farewell might've been.......      a little.....  tepid

 

Just a guess....

 

Meh, most of us were ticked about how he handled it. Not only that day, but the entire preseason up to that point. Regardless, that’s over. Luck is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Yes, I have no idea what fans were going through.

 

Here's a question?     When was the last time something like this happened?    When fans booed the hometown hero over something other than....   you know....   a bad interception.

 

This kind of thing just doesn't happen.

 

I agree, if this had been handled better,  the reaction would've been better.    Not sure it would've been all that great....    the home opener 3 weeks after the retirement....    I dont 'know if the applause would've been all that warm.      I noticed here someone posted would Luck eventually be inducted into the Ring of Honor.     I noted a poster, who I thnk is one of the better ones here thought it would be best if Luck and his wife moved out of town.    Away from Indy.

 

I don't pretend to know the Indy fan base all that well....   but judging based on what I read here,  I think the warm farewell might've been.......      a little.....  tepid

 

Just a guess....

 

he would have been booed anywhere by some people under those circumstances.  it would be great if you would stop taking shots at this fan base like you always do

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Yes, I have no idea what fans were going through.

 

Here's a question?     When was the last time something like this happened?    When fans booed the hometown hero over something other than....   you know....   a bad interception.

 

This kind of thing just doesn't happen.

 

I agree, if this had been handled better,  the reaction would've been better.    Not sure it would've been all that great....    the home opener 3 weeks after the retirement....    I dont 'know if the applause would've been all that warm.      I noticed here someone posted would Luck eventually be inducted into the Ring of Honor.     I noted a poster, who I thnk is one of the better ones here thought it would be best if Luck and his wife moved out of town.    Away from Indy.

 

I don't pretend to know the Indy fan base all that well....   but judging based on what I read here,  I think the warm farewell might've been.......      a little.....  tepid

 

Just a guess....

 

You're right,   you don't know the community and the local fan base well.    I'm not sure who posted Andrew should move out of town.   But to think that is even close to what Hoosiers are about is ignorant. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 1:11 AM, NewColtsFan said:

 

You know what?     You're probably right.

 

But after the hometown fans booed Luck off the field,  I think Indy just shot itself in the foot trying to be a good destination for future free agents.     Good luck trying to get guys to come here in the future. 

 

Ballard came THIS CLOSE to scolding the fan base in his big presser yesterday,  and then stopped himself right in the middle.

 

It was such a terrible thing for the fans to have done.    Bad look for the franchise and the city.

 

Boo Andrew Luck who has given all he could give.     Mob rule gone mad.     You and others here may like it,   but I don't think it was helpful to the franchise.

 

I was there, heard a lot of boos, nooos, and plenty of curse words. I said a couple myself. It was complete shock in that place. Not sure how many Colts fans there are in the world, but to critisize all Colts fans based on the reaction of a very small and drunk amount of fans at a preseason game on a Saturday night isnt right either. Media blew it imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You're right,   you don't know the community and the local fan base well.    I'm not sure who posted Andrew should move out of town.   But to think that is even close to what Hoosiers are about is ignorant. 

 

 

 

I'm not painting the state or the city with a broad brush....    I like the city.    I like the state.    I like the Colts community.

 

But take a look at a new thread where the Mayor of Indy wants to celebrate Andrew Luck.   A grand total of 13 responses so far.    And,  my read is that most of them aren't interested at all.

 

So your view that if the disaster didn't unfold as it did,  and if it had been done correctly a day or so later the fans response might've been totally different....     well, I'm not so sure that's true.... at least based on what I'm seeing on this website...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he would have been booed anywhere by some people under those circumstances.  it would be great if you would stop taking shots at this fan base like you always do

 

You have no way to prove that.     That's just your opinion.     You seem to think your opinion is the same thing as a fact.   It's not.   Lots of people here suffer from that.   Their opinion equals fact.

 

And the fact is....    I like this fan base.    I like the city and the state and the community.

 

I only take shots at bad fans who ruin things for good fans.    You feeling a little guilty?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also agree that, given the exact same circumstances, there would’ve been boo birds in almost every team’s city.  I think it was inevitable and to be expected that there would be some people booing the retirement decision.  I also think that anybody that thinks that suspicion to not be true is completely fooling themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth I read today that was the moment Jacoby found out the story had gotten out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boo birds happen everywhere. And the circumstances, and especially the timing of it all were pretty unique. Things would have been much worse in several cities.. Folks need to move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Boo birds happen everywhere. And the circumstances, and especially the timing of it all were pretty unique. Things would have been much worse in several cities.. Folks need to move on.

Agreed.  The media has.  Based on how sports fans react to things they don’t like I think it’s a reasonable assumption to make that other fanbases would have booed in this situation too.  However, it’s over.  I think most people outside of Indianapolis have moved on from this and we should too.  We can’t change what happened.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed.  The media has.  Based on how sports fans react to things they don’t like I think it’s a reasonable assumption to make that other fanbases would have booed in this situation too.  However, it’s over.  I think most people outside of Indianapolis have moved on from this and we should too.  We can’t change what happened.  

 

The media has only moved on because they stopped getting clicks. They kept it going for as long as they could. 

 

It gives me a good chuckle at some defending the media on this. I don't blame them, but it's funny to see some waiving the journalistic banner... This wasn't about journalism. It was about clicks and who could report it first. And then it became about stoking the boo story so long as it got clicks. 

 

I do blame the leaker on the Colts staff, but ask yourself this... Do you think the leaker just woke up and decided to seek out AS. Chances are that AS has been working that guy for some time, and perhaps has even been paying for info. But hey, all in the name of "journalism" right... This wasn't Watergate or exposing evil. This is pure $$ and clicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...