Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The moment Jacoby found out

csmopar

Yeah, like others have said, he had apparently already told Brissett the day before.

However, could it possibly be Luck telling Brissett that the news leaked early? Almost looks like he's saying "what?" with a surprised reaction. 

Of course, it could be nothing at all. Just them talking. Who knows.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Luck said he told JB on Friday.

Luck has zero credibility right now.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The article even says it’s not clear what was said and there are other sources saying he was to Friday so I don’t think this is the moment he found out but more likely a webpage trying to get a story out there.

Definitely possible but for sure had Jacoby shocked to some degree

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Luck has zero credibility right now WITH YOU. 

There,  I corrected it for you.

Hey,  you're entitled to your opinion,  just wanted to be clear....

Perhaps, but i guarantee you, I’m not the only one

that said, I wish him the best in his retirement 

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Luck has zero credibility right now WITH YOU. 

Luck has zero credibility right now WITH A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF COLTS FANS

• Like 3

3 hours ago, esmort said:

Luck has zero credibility right now WITH A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF COLTS FANS

You know what?     You're probably right.

But after the hometown fans booed Luck off the field,  I think Indy just shot itself in the foot trying to be a good destination for future free agents.     Good luck trying to get guys to come here in the future. 

Ballard came THIS CLOSE to scolding the fan base in his big presser yesterday,  and then stopped himself right in the middle.

It was such a terrible thing for the fans to have done.    Bad look for the franchise and the city.

Boo Andrew Luck who has given all he could give.     Mob rule gone mad.     You and others here may like it,   but I don't think it was helpful to the franchise.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps, but i guarantee you, I’m not the only one

that said, I wish him the best in his retirement 

You're 100 percent right.    And then some.    Not only are you not the only one,  I'm confident when I say that those against Luck doing what he did far outnumber those who support him.

In one decision, Luck destroyed all the good will he had earned for the last 7 years.    As I just said to another poster,  booing Luck off the field is not a good look to the rest of the NFL.    I don't think the fan base did the franchise any favors.    A terrible weekend for the Colts just got worse by how the fans reacted....

Oh well...

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But after the hometown fans booed Luck off the field,  I think Indy just shot itself in the foot trying to be a good destination for future free agents.     Good luck trying to get guys to come here in the future. 

Ballard came THIS CLOSE to scolding the fan base in his big presser yesterday,  and then stopped himself right in the middle.

It such a terrible thing for the fans to haave done.    Bad look for the franchise and the city.

Boo Andrew Luck who has given all he could give.     Mob rule gone mad.     You and others here may like it,   but I don't think it was helpful to the franchise.

Given the circumstances stances of how this played out I think any fanbase would have booed last night.  I listened to national radio today expecting the fans to take a beating and was surprised to see most hosts got it.  It was raw emotion in the heat of the moment.  

Also I wouldn’t worry too much about future free agents.  You pay the money they will come.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If he stays healthy this year...and doesn't completely suck...Brissett will be the starter all season. That means he will have started 33 of the 39 games he has been active for...so far in his four-year career. For a guy who was drafted in the 3rd round to NE...with Tom Brady and Jimmy G already in front of him...and then traded to IND...who had a franchise QB entering his prime...that is pretty incredible. 

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If he stays healthy this year...and doesn't completely suck...Brissett will be the starter all season. That means he will have started 33 of the 39 games he has been active for...so far in his four-year career. For a guy who was drafted in the 3rd round to NE...with Tom Brady and Jimmy G already in front of him...and then traded to IND...who had a franchise QB entering his prime...that is pretty incredible. 

I am pretty sure he was active for all 16 games plus two playoff games last year.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am pretty sure he was active for all 16 games plus two playoff games last year.

Yeah...I shouldn't have said active. I meant games he has appeared in.

But if you just look at active games...he will have played in more than half...which is still pretty incredible for a guy drafted into the situation he was. 

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It such a terrible thing for the fans to haave done.    Bad look for the franchise and the city.

It's not nearly as bad, or as big of deal as you are making it out to be. Even in the stories I have seen and read today it's not getting that much attention.  The Colts not going after the money they could get back is what's getting the press. 

The booing won't have any effect on FAs; If anything, the absence of an elite QB will be a bigger issue when it comes to attracting FAs.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're 100 percent right.    And then some.    Not only are you not the only one,  I'm confident when I say that those against Luck doing what he did far outnumber those who support him.

In one decision, Luck destroyed all the good will he had earned for the last 7 years.    As I just said to another poster,  booing Luck off the field is not a good look to the rest of the NFL.    I don't think the fan base did the franchise any favors.    A terrible weekend for the Colts just got worse by how the fans reacted....

Oh well...

NCF, try not to let last night’s booing sully your view of the fan base. While I wouldn’t have been among them, the hundred or so odd fans that booed did so out of a few different factors; confusion, heartbreak, disappointment, and sheer mob mentality. I think the online reaction today across the NFL and Colts fan base has been far more reflective of the general mood than last night. Players, fans, and talking heads have come out in droves to support his decision. 

I don’t know if you plan to stick around now that he’s gone. I’ve actually asked you in the past and you did say that you don’t foresee leaving entirely after spending so much time here, I hope you stay true to that. The place won’t be the same without you, just don’t let a few reactionary fans make you think that they are in a majority, or that this destroys any good will that Andrew has built in his 7 NFL years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Colts fans who booed and were mad temporarily lost their minds. Understandable.  I was mad as well at first.  I hope I would have had the self discipline not to boo him if I was there. 

But make no mistake, if you still feel he is worth booing after time has passed, you'd better do a self check, because imo, you got things out of whack. 

• Like 3

I just hope this doesn’t define Luck the rest of his life. I hope people remember  how awful a beating he took in the early years, how he was the good soldier, and come to the conclusion that no NFL QB could have survived that without major complications. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It was such a terrible thing for the fans to have done.    Bad look for the franchise and the city.

It's a bad look for the team.   They should have had a press conference before the info could get leaked.   Fans finding out from schefter on Twitter is what got the boo birds going.   I guarentee if Andrew were able to explain the situation the fans would have reacted differently.    

• Like 5

I'm sure there isn't a Colts fan out there, that didn't believe in the hype that we are a legitimate SB contender this year with Luck. And when it came out that Luck tweaked his calf, and were told it's not a problem, but that he won't be participating in OTA''s,  but will be ready for training camp, we believed the hype. And when we saw him participate in some drills during the beginning of camp, but the organization said they will use caution on him, because his calf was still giving him some soreness, and that they are looking for him to start week 1, we believe the hype. And when we saw him warming up, and doing foot and throwing drill before the 2nd preseason, and after Luck and the organization went on tv, and said Luck was excited for this upcoming season, and that he is doing everything he can, to be ready for week 1, and we believed the hype. And as the 3rd preseason game started, and Colts fans that are either at the game, or watching it on tv, that are watching Luck on the sideline laughing and joking with other players and coaches, and the fan knows in 2 weeks the season starts, and that this year will be something magical to watch and experience, are then suddenly blindsided by a tweet during the game. And then suddenly, somewhere in the average Colts fans human body, they were screaming, What? Why? This can't be!!! This is a rumor!!! wth!!! No!!! Not true!!! The internet started going crazy, tweets and alerts were ringing on all fans phones, and by 1 quarter later, and the end of the game, the rumor of your mega star players retirement, was true. Suddenly, the human bodies emotions take over, and anger is the first thing that is released. So yes, I understand why die hard (possibly been drinking the whole gsme) fans emotions took over their voice, and the few boos started to come out. Would have I booed? No!!! Would have I been dumbfounded and angry? You better believe it. 

So for the sports world to come out and say that Colts fans and the city of Indianapolis should be ashamed of themselves for a few fans that booed Luck, weren't there, or aren't Colts fans, and don't understand the love and passion we have for this organization. 

You can't tell me that the fans in Denver, once they signed Peyton Manning, and the team they already had, that they didn't think they weren't going to win multiple SB's for the time he was there. But if Peyton, 2 weeks before the season started, came out and suddenly say that he was retiring, because he was mentally exhausted, and the pain in his neck has never gone away, that the fans in that stadium wouldn't have emotionally done they same thing that a few Colts fans did? You don't think that Packer fans would have done the same thing, if Farve or Rogers, 6 years into their career, came out with this surprising statement? Any star player, on any team, no matter what sport, around the world, with this kind or similar situation, would have been given the same treatment.  The human emotion is always the first to take over.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree.  The booing was petulant and childish.  We can and must do better as a fanbase.  It is not Luck's fault that he got hurt again.  We as fans don't have the right to boo a guy who half of his career took the Colts to the playoffs almost despite themselves, despite Grigson, despite Pagano.  I don't know another QB not named Brady, Manning or Montana that could have pulled that off that consistently -- even Manning had a better coach and GM when he did his thing.

Heck, Luck was the reason this team was even relevant for at least 5 of the years he was here.  The difference in 2017 with Brissett under center was massive, and should have been a wake up call about how much we owed to our #12. It's really sad that some people just won't learn the lesson.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It's a bad look for the team.   They should have had a press conference before the info could get leaked.   Fans finding out from schefter on Twitter is what got the boo birds going.   I guarentee if Andrew were able to explain the situation the fans would have reacted differently.    

Spot on.    You are 100% correct.    Good post.    Fair post.

That's all I ever want.     This is it.

• Like 1

Can you imagine if Tom Brady's news of retirement was leaked during a GAME a week before the regular season begins? Anyone who seriously think Gillette Stadium would all rise and sing Brady's name is delusional. No, they would boo him. Let's not fool ourselves. Every fanbase would do this in the heat of the moment.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Spot on.    You are 100% correct.    Good post.    Fair post.

That's all I ever want.     This is it.

I know I felt much differently after hearing him explain his situation.   I was pretty upset before that.    Hard to expect anyone to continue to harm their body and mind .   It's really incredible how any player lasts into their 30s and beyond

• Like 3

Just now, ReMeDy said:

Let me put it this way: Can you imagine if Tom Brady during a GAME was discovered he was retiring? Anyone who seriously think Gillette Stadium would all rise and sing Brady's name is delusional. They would boo him.

His situation is far different.    Tom and Bill have extreme unprecedented success.     Maybe he and Drew Brees could pull that off.  Every other qb would have had a similar reaction. 

Although as I have stated before.  Had the press conference happened before the game I think the over whelming majority would have have him a standing ovation.    I sure hope that isn't the last time he is on the field at Lucas Oil.    The fan base deserves the opportunity to give him a proper send off, and Andrew deserves that as well

Were the fans booing Luck, or were they booing the organization that kept reassuring us that Luck was being held out practices and those meaningless "preseason" games as a precaution, but would be ready for Game 1? Was it out of frustration after spending a good chunk of change on season tickets, only to find that the product on the field was not going to be "as advertised"? It had to feel something like you think you bought a Lexus, but they hand you the keys to a Corolla. 

15 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

NCF, try not to let last night’s booing sully your view of the fan base. While I wouldn’t have been among them, the hundred or so odd fans that booed did so out of a few different factors; confusion, heartbreak, disappointment, and sheer mob mentality. I think the online reaction today across the NFL and Colts fan base has been far more reflective of the general mood than last night. Players, fans, and talking heads have come out in droves to support his decision. 

I don’t know if you plan to stick around now that he’s gone. I’ve actually asked you in the past and you did say that you don’t foresee leaving entirely after spending so much time here, I hope you stay true to that. The place won’t be the same without you, just don’t let a few reactionary fans make you think that they are in a majority, or that this destroys any good will that Andrew has built in his 7 NFL years. 

Thanks, Peytonator....     I appreciate the kind words.    

Yes, I do plan to stick around...  perhaps not as much as in the past,  but I like the franchise,  like the city/community and really, really like Chris Ballard.    I'm fascinated by what he will do in the future.    I think it will be interesting and hopefully even a little fun watching the new re-build unfold.    

As for the fan base....   it's not just the fans at the stadium who bothered me....   it's those right here....    I'd guess the fans turned on Luck so fast....   I'd guess the sentiment might run 75/25 against him right now...   maybe more?   80/20?     I hope not.    I'm just going by all the threads the last few days.

And I want to be clear about something.     I am not happy with Luck.   I don't think he could've handled this any worse.    If he had sat down to try to conceive the worst way to handle this he couldn't have done a better job.    Hugely disappointing.    Luck is a guy who is driven to do the right thing,  and yet he still botched this all to heck.    Really stunning.

But there are good people here,  so I'll stick around and enjoy....   hopefully we all get pleasantly surprised.    Hopefully this all turns into Kurt Warner 2.0.     Hey, stranger things have happened.    But this was a whopper!

Thanks, again.....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks, Peytonator....     I appreciate the kind words.    

Yes, I do plan to stick around...  perhaps not as much as in the past,  but I like the franchise,  like the city/community and really, really like Chris Ballard.    I'm fascinated by what he will do in the future.    I think it will be interesting and hopefully even a little fun watching the new re-build unfold.    

As for the fan base....   it's not just the fans at the stadium who bothered me....   it's those right here....    I'd guess the fans turned on Luck so fast....   I'd guess the sentiment might run 75/25 against him right now...   maybe more?   80/20?     I hope not.    I'm just going by all the threads the last few days.

And I want to be clear about something.     I am not happy with Luck.   I don't think he could've handled this any worse.    If he had sat down to try to conceive the worst way to handle this he couldn't have done a better job.    Hugely disappointing.    Luck is a guy who is driven to do the right thing,  and yet he still botched this all to heck.    Really stunning.

But there are good people here,  so I'll stick around and enjoy....   hopefully we all get pleasantly surprised.    Hopefully this all turns into Kurt Warner 2.0.     Hey, stranger things have happened.    But this was a whopper!

Thanks, again.....

Hey NCF,

I know you're a huge Andrew Luck fan, as am I. If you want to (and only if you want to) can you provide your thoughts on Andrew's retirement?

The reasoning, the timeline, how it was fumbled. Would like to get your thoughts, but only if you're up to it.

2 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Were the fans booing Luck, or were they booing the organization that kept reassuring us that Luck was being held out practices and those meaningless "preseason" games as a precaution, but would be ready for Game 1? Was it out of frustration after spending a good chunk of change on season tickets, only to find that the product on the field was not going to be "as advertised"? It had to feel something like you think you bought a Lexus, but they hand you the keys to a Corolla. 

I think it was a bit of both.  The organization was painting a pretty rosy picture that Luck would be ready week 1.  Even Luck himself said he expected to be out there week 1.  Then he goes out there and does drills before that preseason game.  They completely botched this.  

• Like 3

"I had already had conversations with Andrew, so I was at peace with it, but I wish he could have done it his way," Brissett said. "That sucked as a teammate, to see that and feel the reaction he got from the fans for him. That hurt more than anything. It sucked. Especially a guy like that, who has done as much as he has done, and what he's been through, even before I got here."

Link

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

"I had already had conversations with Andrew, so I was at peace with it, but I wish he could have done it his way," Brissett said. "That sucked as a teammate, to see that and feel the reaction he got from the fans for him. That hurt more than anything. It sucked. Especially a guy like that, who has done as much as he has done, and what he's been through, even before I got here."

Link

Again,  if the team got out in front of the leaked news,   I don't think any booing occurs.    Fans finding out on Twitter mid game was a PR disaster.   I'm not sure who is to blame,   but it's not the fans