Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 NFL Draft Class

The 2020 class looks really strong at the WR and RB positions. I wonder if the Colts would address those positions, as long as everything seems to be clicking on the other fronts? Jeudy, Etienne, Swift, Shenault, Dobbins, Akers, Lamb, Higgins, Taylor all have a chance to go in the 1st, and many have them mocked there (I know mocks at this point are essentially toilet paper). Will be interesting to see how things shake out, it's being touted one of the best for offensive skill players in a long time, could rival the 11 and 14 classes. 

At this point it doesn't seem like the Colts have much need of offensive skill players.  Maybe an RB would make some sense (because I believe Mack could be improved upon) or just to add depth.  

Another option with both Ebron and Doyle's contract's running out might be TE.  Not sure how strong the draft is there, but it might make some sense to draft a TE.

But of course we will see how things play out this season.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

At this point it doesn't seem like the Colts have much need of offensive skill players.  Maybe an RB would make some sense (because I believe Mack could be improved upon) or just to add depth.  

Another option with both Ebron and Doyle's contract's running out might be TE.  Not sure how strong the draft is there, but it might make some sense to draft a TE.

A lot could change by the end of the year.

Contracts that are up at the end of the season.

Ware - RB

Williams - RB (he'll be lucky to make the PS squad this year IMO)

Funchess - WR

Rogers - WR

Fountain - WR

Johnson - WR

Pascal - WR

Ebron - TE

Doyle - TE

Cox - TE

Holmes - TE

Travis - TE

WR - TY was hobbled last year and aging, Cain is basically a rookie coming back from a major injury, and Campbell is a rookie. That's really all that's locked up aside from a few UDFA's that will be lucky to make the PS. I love the potential, but that's all it is right now aside from TY.

TE - Our 3 top TEs expire. I'd guess they'll resign Ebron and Cox, but wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a TE in rounds 2-4. Doyle is an aging wildcard IMO.

RB - I think we're solid with Mack (every down / lead), Hines (APB), and Wilkins (Mack BU), but I could see us going for short yardage guy in the draft if Ware doesn't work out.

Not saying we will or won't need O skill players in the draft, but there's a ton of contracts expiring, and sheet happens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

A lot could change by the end of the year.

Contracts that are up at the end of the season.

Ware - RB

Williams - RB (he'll be lucky to make the PS squad this year IMO)

Funchess - WR

Rogers - WR

Fountain - WR

Johnson - WR

Pascal - WR

Ebron - TE

Doyle - TE

Cox - TE

Holmes - TE

Travis - TE

WR - TY was hobbled last year and aging, Cain is basically a rookie coming back from a major injury, and Campbell is a rookie. That's really all that's locked up aside from a few UDFA's that will be lucky to make the PS. I love the potential, but that's all it is right now aside from TY.

TE - Our 3 top TEs expire. I'd guess they'll resign Ebron and Cox, but wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a TE in rounds 2-4. Doyle is an aging wildcard IMO.

RB - I think we're solid with Mack (every down / lead), Hines (APB), and Wilkins (Mack BU), but I could see us going for short yardage guy in the draft if Ware doesn't work out.

Not saying we will or won't need O skill players in the draft, but there's a ton of contracts expiring, and sheet happens.

Some of those contracts are likely Exclusive Rights Free Agents or Restricted Free Agents though. 

10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Some of those contracts are likely Exclusive Rights Free Agents or Restricted Free Agents though. 

some, but the big ones aren't.

any of them can be re-signed, but point is there are a lot of open ended areas after the season when it comes to O skill. 

Actually, I think skill positions are a need; RB, WR, and TE, but I don't think we need first round value there.  I have high hopes for Parris Campbell at this point.  

I still think we'll need first round DT talent more than any skilled position.  Or possibly a LT.

In 2020 I can see us having needs along the DL  and at the OT position on the OL.

Maybe add another WR somewhere, although  think we'll probably hit on Cain,

Campbell and Fountain. Wouldn't hurt to add another one though.  I don't see us

having many needs in the secondary or LB.  If we take something there it'll probably

be a luxury pick.  A player on the board who is just too good to pass up.   We may also need to look at drafting another kicker.  I can also see a scenario where we draft a TE maybe.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

In 2020 I can see us having needs along the DL  and at the OT position on the OL.

Maybe add another WR somewhere, although  think we'll probably hit on Cain,

Campbell and Fountain. Wouldn't hurt to add another one though.  I don't see us

having many needs in the secondary or LB.  If we take something there it'll probably

be a luxury pick.  A player on the board who is just too good to pass up.   We may also need to look at drafting another kicker.  I can also see a scenario where we draft a TE maybe.

Just to confirm, you think all of Campbell, Cain, and Fountain will be hits?  Love the optimism.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, Valpo2004 said:

we dont have a massive need anywhere at the moment.   the D line could be better, but they were still solid last season and we already have some young guys to develop there in lewis and turay 

Depending on how funchess does, we might go wr.  Could let him walk and don't know about Cain or Campbell.  Both basically rookies. Type is getting older, don't know  how much longer he will be good for. I wouldn't be mad if we went wr early. SS and lineman are what we will mist likely go after tho

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Depending on how funchess does, we might go wr.  Could let him walk and don't know about Cain or Campbell.  Both basically rookies. Type is getting older, don't know  how much longer he will be good for. I wouldn't be mad if we went wr early. SS and lineman are what we will mist likely go after tho

It is going to be interesting. WR is a position that could really depend on how yo play this year. We have so many young ones if they play well we might not need one. We could also draft AC eventual replacement.

I think you will see another WR drafted....or a TE. Funchess will likely be gone...Hilton is a year older. Even if Cain and Campbell are both what they hoped for...there is still room to develop another Day Two pick at the position. We will see though.

• Like 1

It is fun to look ahead at 2020 draft but it is far to early to see what our needs are as a lot can happen.

How will Funchess work out? Will he be another free agent WR dud? Will he even get re-signed?

Will Chester even make the team?

Do Cain and Campbell show enough to be the 2 and 3?

What will happen to Doyle and Ebron after this year?

Does AC get a new deal?

Will Marlon stay healthy enough to show he can be relied on moving forward?

I do have concerns of Mack and his health and I also think we could have more talent at his position although I preferably don't want to see a RB in round 1.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:13 AM, Revala said:

It is fun to look ahead at 2020 draft but it is far to early to see what our needs are as a lot can happen.

How will Funchess work out? Will he be another free agent WR dud? Will he even get re-signed?

Will Chester even make the team?

Do Cain and Campbell show enough to be the 2 and 3?

What will happen to Doyle and Ebron after this year?

Does AC get a new deal?

Will Marlon stay healthy enough to show he can be relied on moving forward?

I do have concerns of Mack and his health and I also think we could have more talent at his position although I preferably don't want to see a RB in round 1.

I'd be for it if Etienne or Swift fell to the end of the 1st, those 2 guys are gonna be monsters. Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a Tee Higgins or Ceedee Lamb, a big alpha X receiver. The 20 draft is absolutely stacked at the offensive skill positions. 

On 6/21/2019 at 4:56 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'd be for it if Etienne or Swift fell to the end of the 1st, those 2 guys are gonna be monsters. Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a Tee Higgins or Ceedee Lamb, a big alpha X receiver. The 20 draft is absolutely stacked at the offensive skill positions. 

Haven't done research on the 2020 draft yet, but if it ends up having an elite WR or OT, I wouldn't mind trading up this year. We'll have to see where we finish (hopefully 32 :thmup:), and make a decision from there. Ballard landing the Redskins 2nd rounder may be a brilliant move.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 3:12 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Haven't done research on the 2020 draft yet, but if it ends up having an elite WR or OT, I wouldn't mind trading up this year. We'll have to see where we finish (hopefully 32 :thmup:), and make a decision from there. Ballard landing the Redskins 2nd rounder may be a brilliant move.

I haven't done much 2020 research yet either.  But I've got a feeling that even though RB's Etienne, Taylor, and Dobbins might be available wherever we pick (28th to 32nd?), CB might be thinking that 2020 will be the year we address not only OT depth, but possibly Castonzo's replacement.  Am keeping an eye on Oregon's Calvin "Doc" Throckmorton, who is not only a top lineman this year, but also working on his pre-Med.  And also watching to see if Tennessee's Trey Smith recovers from the blood clot in his lung.

• Like 1

OT; TE; DT; WR; RB. 

I can see 4 of these being the Day one and two picks. All of these positions will need upgrades and depth. Even WR, where there may seem to be an embarrassment of riches at the moment but in actuality many many questions remain. Expect the O to get the most attention next year. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:15 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Had no idea basically all of our TEs are FAs next year. That could be an issue. I think there’s a good TE in 2020 that sites have been saying could be a 1st round pick. Can’t remember his name.

You're thinking of Albert O from Mizzou, but there's several. It isn't as loaded as the 19 class, but there are some okay guys. Brycen Hopkins from Purdue is climbing draft boards, Calcaterra from Oklahoma, Brevin Jordan from Miami (my favorite), he's an Evan Engram type, would be a great playmaker in this offense. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love Tristan Wirfs for OT but I highly doubt he'd be available outside the Top 20, given the NFL history of Iowa OL, where we will most likely be picking. I do like Lucas Niang of TCU for Round 2 or end of Round 1. 

Xavier McKinney, S from Alabama might end up being there, late round 1, and I would not be surprised if Ballard, given Geathers' and Hooker's injury history, pulls the trigger on him. 

Round 2 is where I can see a WR or RB drafted by Ballard. I do like Tylan Wallace for the Colts, from Oklahoma State. As far as TEs, I'd wait till round 3 and get Jacob Breeland of Oregon who is a good athlete but not good blocker, or Matt Bushman of BYU, who is not a household name but he blocks well and has a good catch radius, plus has run a very good route tree, he is just not an good athlete. But then, I also like Rashard Lawrence, DT, LSU for Round 2. I just think that we re-sign some of our TEs so that we can address all of S, OT, DT, WR, TE on Day 1 and Day 2.

I think you almost HAVE to draft an OT in the first 3 rounds to develop

Not a 6th or 7th

We really have no quality depth and have been lucky that we havent had an injury from one of our starters on left or right

Someone is going to get hurt, AC will probably be resigned, but we need someone to groom for the future.

There is also a bit of me that sees Glowinski as the current weak link on this very good O line.

Does Braden Smith become our interior mauler at RG?

Other priories to me, would seem to be:

One tech that can stop run and rush the passer.......  Hunt seems to be slowing down since mid last year

I think we will also see another DE taken in top 3 draft positions

I think we may also add another interior OL in top 5 rounds (3rd-5th)

I think you will see a kicker taken in the top 6 rounds...... sorry AV........ you cant kick forever

After Ballard has taken over, it becomes much harder to find obvious needs for the upcoming drafts.

CBs...... We have plenty of talented young guys to develop

LB....... We have plenty of talented young guys to develop

DE......  We have SOME talent to develop, but Turray is just starting to put it together

DT - Thin

Safety - Good talent

TE...... MAYBE  (Please resign Doyle)

WR...... I think we are set but this year will tell. Funchess will have to show alot the last 3-4 weeks of season to prove he is worth resigning.

QB...... Each week that JB has another good session, the less I worry about it.  He is actually showing some improved touch on the ball.  We have depth with Hoyer. AND...... if needed.... and if someone doenst come raiding,  Kelly brings depth as well

Deano's Priority list: 

1) 1 tech DT

2) OT to develop

3) DE

4) Interior OL

5) Kicker