Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell already Impressing

50 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I love the rock and Campbell battles so far. Once Luck starts actually throwing to Campbell we will really see what they are both made of. 

Snips and snails and puppy dog tails.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This could be another great draft class IMO. Sounds like good news early, exactly what we wanted to hear from the rookies. Especially excited about Rock and Campbell. 

Rock, Campbell and okereke

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is from yesterday. I know it’s early but I think Franklin and Adams are going to be gone.

Still need ST players, so maybe they're not gone. They could be moved down to 3rd string

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Somebody suggested that Cain might turn out to be better than DEVIN FUNCHESS. Have you ever heard such crazy hype? Better than FUNCHESS???  Better than the Devin Funchess? That is insane, impossible, and an insult to the possibility that Funchess could be pretty good, probably not great, but pretty good playing with Andrew Luck. I believe this poster was also implying, if you can believe it, that Cain could be better than Rogers, Fountain, Pascal, and even Marcus Freakin Johnson. If you're going to say that, it is the SAME thing as calling Cain a first ballot Hall of Famer. 

Not even close. Did you watch Funchess play last year? I did, he wasn't that good. So it's not hard to believe that Cain can compete that level of play. Marcus Johnson had 6 receptions for 100 yards over 5 games before he was injured. So just as much hype there. Fountain...come on. Dropped his only target that was uncontested. 

So Ya, its not hard to think Cain could take the 4th spot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Not even close. Did you watch Funchess play last year? I did, he wasn't that good. So it's not hard to believe that Cain can compete that level of play. Marcus Johnson had 6 receptions for 100 yards over 5 games before he was injured. So just as much hype there. Fountain...come on. Dropped his only target that was uncontested. 

I can see great things from Cain if he is back at 100%

Just my view from TigerTown   

Cain is one reason Inman has not been resigned

3 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I don’t give a rip about how funchess played last year. He has a better QB and coaches that will use him the right way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

They aren’t the same player. Cain hasn’t played come one nfl snap. DF has been to a SB.

Faulty logic

I guess that means Matt Cassel is a better QB than Andrew because he has been to SBs

I said DF should have a good season but JMO from TigerTown Cain Could have a Monster year too

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Everyone is going to be shocked when Cain starts out on the PUP list.

I loved Campbell coming out.  My brother in law is a Titans fan and I raved bout him.  Don't b surprised if he gets a ton of reps.  Just him being on the field with Hilton will dictate coverages

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I'll say no way Adams gets cut, maybe Franklin. Leonard, Okereke, Adams start, Banogu, Walker, Franklin, Moore, SpWeed, and Thomas battle for backup position.

Someone is going to have A pro bowl year if walker is battling for a spot. I doubt that is happening. I do think he will use Banogu and Okereke in some special schemes he designs up.

19 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I'll say no way Adams gets cut, maybe Franklin. Leonard, Okereke, Adams start, Banogu, Walker, Franklin, Moore, Speed, and Thomas battle for backup position.

I think a lot of fans are going to be surprised how good Banogu turns out to be in our defense.  I think by year end he will be more feared than Justin Houston by opposing offenses.  Ballard and Eberflus have big plans for that guy. 

On topic:  Glad to hear the positive buzz around Parris.  He is having a strong camp thus far.  I’m also encouraged to hear that Rock Ya-Sin was covering him a few times and was hanging stride for stride with him.  Good signs.  

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 6:19 PM, dodsworth said:

I was mainly targeting the speed guys but Doyle is definitely 

a weapon.

I think Doyle is second to Hilton as the most important guy to have healthy all season.  He's just too versatile and productive to be without to get the most out of our offense I think.  

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I think a lot of fans are going to be surprised how good Banogu turns out to be in our defense.  I think by year end he will be more feared than Justin Houston by opposing offenses.  Ballard and Eberflus have big plans for that guy. 

I agree. It will take awhile. But I think they will use him in special schemes. I can see him on the field with Walker and Leonard. He has a high football IQ when you hear him talk. Put that with his athletic traits he could be special.  I don’t see him taking walkers spot but used differently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Probably Kelly, Chryst, and Cody Keith for part of the time

Really wish they had a chance to catch some of Luck's tosses. 

I get we need to grade out QBs, just hate that WRs who are trying to make the team might have to rely on mediocre QB play.

12 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Really wish they had a chance to catch some of Luck's tosses. 

I get we need to grade out QBs, just hate that WRs who are trying to make the team might have to rely on mediocre QB play.

I have a feeling some of the drills will be handled by JUGS machines

12 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Sorry, you're not going to convince me that was sarcasm. 

Correct. I exaggerated the excitement people have for Cain to make a small dent in the over the top claims people are making about a seriously injured rookie being a stud. No more no less. Tongue in cheek, not sarcasm. Although their might be a fine line between them. Some would say flippant. Who cares really....

15 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Faulty logic

I guess that means Matt Cassel is a better QB than Andrew because he has been to SBs

I said DF should have a good season but JMO from TigerTown Cain Could have a Monster year too

Faulty logic:

Did Cassel play in the SB.

21 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Exactly what I was trying to say, if  he returns to form.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t give a rip about how funchess played last year. He has a better QB and coaches that will use him the right way.

So you're faith in Funchess' success is as grounded in speculation as mine is.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:09 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Everyone said the best rookie wide receiver will be the one that’s goes to the best QB.

Something else to keep in mind. Everyone talks about him having to learn the nfl route tree.  What analysts don’t stop to realize is  maybe some of these kids work on that stuff in their own free time. Just because OSU didnt use him right doesn’t mean he didn’t work on that stuff in his free time.

Agreed.... a lot of WR's who come from Urban Meyer systems are very hard to predict in the NFL.  Parris Campbell was more productive his last two years at OSU than Michael Thomas (New Orleans Saints).  Thomas is now a first-team All-Pro.

Reich and others have all said Campbell's route running at the combine was very good.  David Carr said on NFL Network after round two that when he was at the combine, Parris Campbell stood out as one of the best route runners there and called him the steal of the draft.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:11 PM, Devildog said:

You can add Doyle to the list.

As much as I hope Doyle comes back 100% healthy, I have my doubts for now.  Hip injuries are no joke, especially when you're as big as Doyle and are required to do his job on a daily basis.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, ProblChld32 said:

If he does it will be due to injury’s, I don’t expect him to come in and learn the defense as fast as the vets. I’m sure he will make an impact situationally but I don’t see him starting at all this season unless there is an injury to Geathers. 

I think we'll see Willis and Geathers on the field together quite a bit.  Willis is a bit better of a pass defender than Geathers (IMO).... I really expect Geathers to be used fairly often as a hybrid LB/dime package guy with Willis playing along side Hooker behind Geathers.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:48 AM, Stephen said:

Met some guy on Twitter  that compared Dorsett to Campbell, but the only similarity  I see is speed. Campbell is more elusive than dorsett

I don't even think it's close other than they both ran sub 4.4 forties.  Campbell is bigger, faster, more athletic, better run after catch, and seems more motivated than Dorsett.  As the StampedeBlue article that was shared about the two (which was posted earlier in this thread) points out, we also have a more offensive-minded head coach who seems to be more creative on offense.  I think we're going to be much more presently surprised with Campbell than we were with Dorsett (who was really more of a disappointment).

On 5/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

I think there is a lot more to Inman being a free agent.  Inman has said publicly on numerous occassions that he wanted to be back in Indy (e.g., https://www.colts.com/news/dontrelle-inman-provided-colts-a-spark-hopes-to-be-back-in-2019).

I appreciate what Inman did for us last year and thought he had a pretty good year and helped us out when we had some injury issues and lack of depth at WR last year.  He also had some familiarity with our OC Sirriani.  

However, over the course of his career, Inman has not done a whole lot in terms of production.  He is also on the wrong side of 30 and last year was probably his 2nd best season (with 28 receptions in 9 games).  My thought with Inman is he is probably trying to get paid and is over-valuing himself.  

If TY, Funchess, Campbell all stay healthy, I doubt Inman would really be seeing much on the field.  A fully healthy Cain further limits his chance of getting on the field.... I tend to think Inman is requesting too much for how valuable he actually is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can the season start already please?  Campbell is just flat out professional in his demeanor, and humble in how awestruck he was at Luck and his first day around the facility.  And just impresses the heck out of you just listening to him.

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Agreed.... a lot of WR's who come from Urban Meyer systems are very hard to predict in the NFL.  Parris Campbell was more productive his last two years at OSU than Michael Thomas (New Orleans Saints).  Thomas is now a first-team All-Pro.

Reich and others have all said Campbell's route running at the combine was very good.  David Carr said on NFL Network after round two that when he was at the combine, Parris Campbell stood out as one of the best route runners there and called him the steal of the draft.

As much as I hope Doyle comes back 100% healthy, I have my doubts for now.  Hip injuries are no joke, especially when you're as big as Doyle and are required to do his job on a daily basis.

I think we'll see Willis and Geathers on the field together quite a bit.  Willis is a bit better of a pass defender than Geathers (IMO).... I really expect Geathers to be used fairly often as a hybrid LB/dime package guy with Willis playing along side Hooker behind Geathers.

I don't even think it's close other than they both ran sub 4.4 forties.  Campbell is bigger, faster, more athletic, better run after catch, and seems more motivated than Dorsett.  As the StampedeBlue article that was shared about the two (which was posted earlier in this thread) points out, we also have a more offensive-minded head coach who seems to be more creative on offense.  I think we're going to be much more presently surprised with Campbell than we were with Dorsett (who was really more of a disappointment).

I think there is a lot more to Inman being a free agent.  Inman has said publicly on numerous occassions that he wanted to be back in Indy (e.g., https://www.colts.com/news/dontrelle-inman-provided-colts-a-spark-hopes-to-be-back-in-2019).

I appreciate what Inman did for us last year and thought he had a pretty good year and helped us out when we had some injury issues and lack of depth at WR last year.  He also had some familiarity with our OC Sirriani.  

However, over the course of his career, Inman has not done a whole lot in terms of production.  He is also on the wrong side of 30 and last year was probably his 2nd best season (with 28 receptions in 9 games).  My thought with Inman is he is probably trying to get paid and is over-valuing himself.  

If TY, Funchess, Campbell all stay healthy, I doubt Inman would really be seeing much on the field.  A fully healthy Cain further limits his chance of getting on the field.... I tend to think Inman is requesting too much for how valuable he actually is.

would be great to have Inman back, but he's at the point in his career where he can make the most he's ever made.  Can't blame him for going for it.  Just hope his agent isn't over-pricing.  It's a double-edged sword..... you have the andrew luck factor generating some of that production....so that's hard thing to quantify

On 5/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

On topic:  Glad to hear the positive buzz around Parris.  He is having a strong camp thus far.  I’m also encouraged to hear that Rock Ya-Sin was covering him a few times and was hanging stride for stride with him.  Good signs.  

Idk man I saw like a 20 minute video of Banogu's plays against Texas? Or some college team I forgot. But he looked like butt. No hustle, went in one direction every time even though the play unfolded in another direction, let his blocker basically hold him as long as he wanted. I even saw a few plays where he pretended to extend his arms out for a tackle on a RB but it was flat out obvious he wanted no part of it... I really do not like the Banogu pick. Gonna be another Basham situation. This is just my opinion though. My body is ready for the backlash. 

On 5/4/2019 at 4:31 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Everyone is going to be shocked when Cain starts out on the PUP list.

I wouldn't be surprised.  He should be already dang near good to go.  6-9 months.  How long has it been already?!  He will be ready book it!!