Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does this draft open the doors for FA Suh or Liuget to be signed by Colts?

JPFolks

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

So why did everyone on the planet in media and even this Colts.com staff including most people here on this board think we were taking a DT as a position of need? Especially the Clemson kids? 

Because there were some really realy really good ones in the draft? We wanted big time inside PR or in my case a GREAT run stuffer like Lawrence. But Ballard has an opinion too. Get used to it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

His intent IS to build a solid lock room that could tolerate certain levels/types of players.
 Any? Haha! Why grossly overstate his logic?
 They would not make us Nasty. Suh is still solid if he wants.
 We will see if CB was honest when he said he likes our guys.
I do expect him to add a solid person before training camp in case of injury. Fortunately he has some time/camps to look at the players he does have. Grover and Jihad Ward will be given a shot IMO, Ridgeway better make a real jump to make the team.

Honest? Seriously? How would he be "dis-honest" if he added another DT? It wouldn't mean he was unhappy with the players he had now.. I think we still need to add another TO the list of who we have now.  Not just replacing one.  Perhaps we do nothing.  The coaching staff has talked about having plenty of depths on O-Line and D-Line so it seems like there is room for another DT.  Maybe not.  We'll see.  But if he adds one, it doesn't make him dishonest.  Plus, he said he ALWAYS wants competition, so logically he wouldn't stand pat on OL/DL position groups.  That would be the opposite of competition.  More folks will be coming to compete.  The question I asked was who might they consider and from where?  

6 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Thanks for confirming, I thought you seemed confused and contradictory in your response, this confirms you agree.  

Look Zero,

Exactly why I stopped getting on the forum.  You put out a question that I assume you wanted feedback on and then criticize, not intelligently, but criticize responses.  Find something else to do.

Done with you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Look Zero,

Exactly why I stopped getting on the forum.  You put out a question that I assume you wanted feedback on and then criticize, not intelligently, but criticize responses.  Find something else to do.

Done with you

Then why keep responding? 

Look, you made a response full of contradictions and you weren't offering opinions, but rather disagreements combined with contradictions.  It's a message board.  You were never forced to be here, nor were you forced to post, nor were you forced to keep quoting me and responding.  I am happy to be here, so why find something else to do? Sounds like you need to find something else, or at least learn self control when hitting the "quote" button and then typing away.  

Have a nice day! 

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I was just think that this draft SEEMS to leave the door wide open to us signing a high impact, short term FA at DT.  Corey Liuget or Ndom Suh? Of course it also leaves room for Ajayi or Ware at RB as well.  

There's no question we're going to have some massive battles at LB, CB & S.  There seems to be less competition at DT/NT.  Why not bring one of these two DTs in for a short term look? I don't think we can be done at one of our biggest positions of need.  I never imagined signing a player like Suh, but maybe all these Captains and Leaders we are drafting are ALSO building a team that could absorb antics from a guy like Suh? 

Thoughts? And what other FA's might we now bring in?  

We need to bring somebody in to bolster our interior defensive line.  We didn’t draft anyone of note that will help us much there.  I’m game for Suh  or somebody similar at this point.  Also hoping we circle back on Jay Ajayi since a 7th round RB is unlikely to be the compliment back for Mack that we need.  Not impossible but very unlikely.  

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Because there were some really realy really good ones in the draft? We wanted big time inside PR or in my case a GREAT run stuffer like Lawrence. But Ballard has an opinion too. Get used to it.

And a process

@JPFolks  I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe Ballard thinks our opponents are going to be playing from behind so much that most of the time our traditional DTs won't even be on the field.

Maybe we're going to see a lot more nickel sets where guys like Houston, Sheard, and Lewis kick inside and guys like Turay, Banogu, Green, etc. rush from the edge.

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I was just think that this draft SEEMS to leave the door wide open to us signing a high impact, short term FA at DT.  Corey Liuget or Ndom Suh? Of course it also leaves room for Ajayi or Ware at RB as well.  

There's no question we're going to have some massive battles at LB, CB & S.  There seems to be less competition at DT/NT.  Why not bring one of these two DTs in for a short term look? I don't think we can be done at one of our biggest positions of need.  I never imagined signing a player like Suh, but maybe all these Captains and Leaders we are drafting are ALSO building a team that could absorb antics from a guy like Suh? 

I guess it’s a slight possibility, but I think Ballard is more than happy with our current defensive line. 

• Like 1

Odd on - Ndamukong Suh team in Week 1 of 2019 regular season

Seattle Seahawks 3/1
Los Angeles Chargers 4/1 - they are probably out of it since they took Tillery R1
San Francisco 49ers 7/1
Indianapolis Colts 8/1
New England Patriots 8/1 - took a DT R5
New York Jets 8/1 - Took Williams R1
Oakland Raiders 10/1
Atlanta Falcons 15/1
Buffalo Bills 15/1 - Took Oliver R1
New Orleans Saints 18/1
No team 5/1 

35 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Odd on - Ndamukong Suh team in Week 1 of 2019 regular season

Seattle Seahawks 3/1
Los Angeles Chargers 4/1 - they are probably out of it since they took Tillery R1
San Francisco 49ers 7/1
Indianapolis Colts 8/1
New England Patriots 8/1 - took a DT R5
New York Jets 8/1 - Took Williams R1
Oakland Raiders 10/1
Atlanta Falcons 15/1
Buffalo Bills 15/1 - Took Oliver R1
New Orleans Saints 18/1
No team 5/1 

Colts odds should improve after this weekend.  Unless Ballard really isn't as concerned about  our interior defensive line as some of us are.  

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Does New England even have the cap space?  I could see him as a Raider easy though.  

NE is sitting at 12M and Oakland is 31M

Suh made 14.5M last year.

If I had to guess, at 32, he'll get 10 or less. I'd love to sign him to a 2 year deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

NE is sitting at 12M and Oakland is 31M

Suh made 14.5M last year.

If I had to guess, at 32, he'll get 10 or less. I'd love to sign him to a 2 year deal.

IMO...the ability to sign guys like this now is a benefit to being so conservative at the beginning of the free agency period.  We can easily sign this dude over any of these other teams if we really want him.  It's time to fill our remaining holes now that the draft has ended.  

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

IMO...the ability to sign guys like this now is a benefit to being so conservative at the beginning of the free agency period.  We can easily sign this dude over any of these other teams if we really want him.  It's time to fill our remaining holes now that the draft has ended.  

i want to use all the money we can that won't impact next year.

would love to fill some holes or simply upgrade with some senior guys while the younger develop.

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Interesting, on a short term deal..1 yr, why not?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@JPFolks  I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe Ballard thinks our opponents are going to be playing from behind so much that most of the time our traditional DTs won't even be on the field.

Maybe we're going to see a lot more nickel sets where guys like Houston, Sheard, and Lewis kick inside and guys like Turay, Banogu, Green, etc. rush from the edge.

We still have to face power backs from Jacksonville and Tennessee up the middle all day and all night if they are healthy not even considering the rest of our schedule.  That's 4 critical games where DT's and Run stuffing DE's are a must and in general you always need guys to keep the C/G's off our linebackers.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I guess it’s a slight possibility, but I think Ballard is more than happy with our current defensive line. 

Certainly if the draft is any indication.  But not sure where the "competition" is if we don't sign anyone BETTER than the worst guy currently on the lineup.  He says he's ALWAYS wanting competition.  Bring in Suh and I don't think he loses to the others.  Just sayin'

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@JPFolks  Well, Ridgeway just got traded to the Eagles, so you might be on to something.

Yeah, but my idea is CRAZY... and some people (not to be named because it might trigger them) just can't handle the truth.  I feel quite confident that something wicked this way comes.  I just hope it's one that is better than our current worst DT.  It's quite clear they are looking for speed, but we've got some big backs coming at us at some point you have to stop someone on the goal line or 4th and short.  Speed won't do that.  

49 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would bet it's going to be Gerald McCoy.  Bucs need the cap space.  They were trying to trade him but a release looks imminent now.  Don't forget they could always bring Woods back. 

That would definitely be interesting!  It has to be someone... I think "something wicked this way comes" just might come true! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Certainly if the draft is any indication.  But not sure where the "competition" is if we don't sign anyone BETTER than the worst guy currently on the lineup.  He says he's ALWAYS wanting competition.  Bring in Suh and I don't think he loses to the others.  Just sayin'

Ok I get what you are saying.  But I believe the UT position is set far as completion. AND talent   Have said that for weeks.   It is the NT position that needs the completion.  Suh could definitely fill that need.   But I'm 97.3 % sure it wont happen 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Ok I get what you are saying.  But I believe the UT position is set far as completion. AND talent   Have said that for weeks.   It is the NT position that needs the completion.  Suh could definitely fill that need.   But I'm 97.3 % sure it wont happen 

So even with Ridgeway gone, we just let it stand, and don't consider bring one of the monsters in? So on 4th and goal when they line up 3 TE's, 5OLs and a full back in front of the TN and Jax RBs, we stand ready with what we have to defend the goal? Do we bring in Funchess and Ebron on D for some size? (yes, that's sarcasm for those who don't get it, we have a few).  

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

So even with Ridgeway gone, we just let it stand, and don't consider bring one of the monsters in? So on 4th and goal when they line up 3 TE's, 5OLs and a full back in front of the TN and Jax RBs, we stand ready with what we have to defend the goal? Do we bring in Funchess and Ebron on D for some size? (yes, that's sarcasm for those who don't get it, we have a few).  

We were one of the toughest teams to run on last year. So you think we got worse?

6 hours ago, JPFolks said:

No I just don’t think it will be Suh.    It they’ll bring someone in at  NT 

6 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Agree 

We need additional 1 tech for a rotation

Suh doesnt seem to be a CB kinda guy.  Maybe he has grown up a bit ....

He would help....  the locker room thing may be an issue

McCoy would seem to be the 3 tech more than the 1 tech

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think there is near zero chance that Ballard brings in Suh. I don’t think Ballard believes our locker room is ready for a player like Suh. I think down the road he might take a chance on a player with some character concerns, but I don’t believe we are there yet. 

As far as bringing in someone else (without any character concerns) then I think there is a possibility. That said, Ballard said himself that he is happy with the competition we have across the defensive line. So much that he traded away Ridgeway to get more interior offensive line competition.

I think we will add to the offensive and defensive line in just about every draft. 

We are not far from being one of the best teams in the NFL. I don’t think Ballard looks at the short term. He is playing the long game, because he wants the Colts window to be open for a long time.