Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does this draft open the doors for FA Suh or Liuget to be signed by Colts?

JPFolks

I was just think that this draft SEEMS to leave the door wide open to us signing a high impact, short term FA at DT.  Corey Liuget or Ndom Suh? Of course it also leaves room for Ajayi or Ware at RB as well.  

There's no question we're going to have some massive battles at LB, CB & S.  There seems to be less competition at DT/NT.  Why not bring one of these two DTs in for a short term look? I don't think we can be done at one of our biggest positions of need.  I never imagined signing a player like Suh, but maybe all these Captains and Leaders we are drafting are ALSO building a team that could absorb antics from a guy like Suh? 

Thoughts? And what other FA's might we now bring in?  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I can see a situation where we might pursue Suh maybe

Are there any other FA's you could see us signing to help at DT? 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We sure have the money to spend. Would love to sign Suh

Well, they aren't going to spend money just to spend money.   But we certainly could use more help at DT!

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am surprised we didn’t draft any trench guys. I could see us getting someone in FA. Suh would sign a one year with no problems.

You don't think he is looking for a 2yr deal at least? I realize it is a buyers market of course.  Let's say we could get an expensive deal for 1yr or a more favorable deal for 2yr.. which would you prefer? 

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i think it would depend on who we get as Un Drafted because for all we know CB could sign a good number of DT's

But are there UDFA's out there better than Suh? Don't you think we (or someone) would have drafted them? 

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, they aren't going to spend money just to spend money.   But we certainly could use more help at DT!

You want pressure from the IDL. Suh brings that and some. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I see the need, but I dont see the fit.  My guess is neither fit the locker room CB is building ... just a hunch and could easily be wrong.

Well, I think his intent was to build such a solid team that we could bring in a top talent at a spot of need and it would be able to tolerate any issues that player might bring with them.   

Suh and/or Liuget could likely be had, after this VERY DT heavy draft, for a fraction of what they might have been worth most years.  No one has commented on Liuget yet.  He was suspended 4 games last year and also tore a muscle and missed much of the season.  But he's a penetrator on D just like Suh...  it really seems like either could be a big piece of our rotation at DT and make us super nasty in the middle.   

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I see the need, but I dont see the fit.  My guess is neither fit the locker room CB is building ... just a hunch and could easily be wrong.

Let's look at the players on the D'Line that are actually on the team:

DE's- Houston and Sheard

NT- Hunt

UT - Autry

The rest- Grover, Ridgeway, Ward, Turay, and Lewis.

This doesn't count anyone drafted to this point.  I don't see where Suh or Corey fit in?  I am all for competition but throwing money away isn't the correct way to do it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

Let's look at the players on the D'Line that are actually on the team:

DE's- Houston and Sheard

NT- Hunt

UT - Autry

The rest- Grover, Ridgeway, Ward, Turay, and Lewis.

This doesn't count anyone drafted to this point.  I don't see where Suh or Corey fit in?  I am all for competition but throwing money away isn't the correct way to do it?

I don't think we're bringing any FA pass rushers in, but one more solid DT I think would be important to the rotation and top end strength.  I guess I am not very high on Grover and Hunt/Ridgeway aren't enough for me.  

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What are Suh’s issue. I only know about the helmet stomping.

Well, when I hear Suh, the last thing I think about is "team player" and that's the biggest knock in our current team philosophy.  

Just now, JPFolks said:

I don't think we're bringing any FA pass rushers in, but one more solid DT I think would be important to the rotation and top end strength.  I guess I am not very high on Grover and Hunt/Ridgeway aren't enough for me.  

I thought Hunt did pretty well last year, but was playing more than his condition allowed .. in other words needs a solid speller at times.  Not the end all but good enough to keep blockers off our LB's and create some push toward the QB.  Next year will be the year we make big strides on the DL

2 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

And part of that "rest" group .... we have not seen the full potential of Turay or Lewis, could be very high level players for all we know.  Time will tell, but I cant see Sue here - ever 

No, I did not mean to write Sue, lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

And part of that "rest" group .... we have not seen the full potential of Turay or Lewis, could be very high level players for all we know.  Time will tell, but I cant see Sue here - ever 

Perhaps you were not among them, but most fans though we'd draft a DT.  You're saying we never needed anyone else and are 100% locked in with what we already have? 

22 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I dont have any names. But theres going to be people getting released after the draft to make room for the rookies. Ballard may even find an undrafted guy.

Just now, JPFolks said:

I completely understand your point and respect it.  I guess my quandary is, would it be wiser to roll with NT's in Hunt and Grover and UT's in Autry and Ward/Lewis?  They are known quantities as opposed to a Suh or Corey.  I like the idea of developing one's own players first, but would have no issue if either was brought in.  I just try and look at the financial side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, when I hear Suh, the last thing I think about is "team player" and that's the biggest knock in our current team philosophy.  

Suh hasnt had any issues in quite some time. Money and age is the only issue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, I think his intent was to build such a solid team that we could bring in a top talent at a spot of need and it would be able to tolerate any issues that player might bring with them.   

Suh and/or Liuget could likely be had, after this VERY DT heavy draft, for a fraction of what they might have been worth most years.  No one has commented on Liuget yet.  He was suspended 4 games last year and also tore a muscle and missed much of the season.  But he's a penetrator on D just like Suh...  it really seems like either could be a big piece of our rotation at DT and make us super nasty in the middle.   

Yeah, I hear ya, but the character of either are just so misaligned with what the Colts are doing.  And to add to that, you know the old saying .... One bad apple.... - right?  Not saying the locker room couldnt overcome it with a wealth of character, but it is a problem that doesnt need tested.

1 minute ago, Coltsfan66 said:

I completely understand your point and respect it.  I guess my quandary is, would it be wiser to roll with NT's in Hunt and Grover and UT's in Autry and Ward/Lewis?  They are known quantities as opposed to a Suh or Corey.  I like the idea of developing one's own players first, but would have no issue if either was brought in.  I just try and look at the financial side.

I get your point.. but I don't yet see the "difference maker" among those guys.  Hunt is either AWESOME or invisible.  Same can be said about Ridgeway who flashes, but hasn't shown he's a front line big moment guy.  Would you really not enjoy knowing you had Suh in there amongst the others when we needed him?  I may be wrong, but I think it is worth asking that question.  Many here wanted a first round DT.  Suh is like having a short term top end drafted DT without the commitment.  

10 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I thought Hunt did pretty well last year, but was playing more than his condition allowed .. in other words needs a solid speller at times.  Not the end all but good enough to keep blockers off our LB's and create some push toward the QB.  Next year will be the year we make big strides on the DL

No, I did not mean to write Sue, lol

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Perhaps you were not among them, but most fans though we'd draft a DT.  You're saying we never needed anyone else and are 100% locked in with what we already have? 

Huh?  Where did I say never?

No not at all.  How did the Chiefs beat us?  Which is a team at the level we need to be and were obviously not last year.

A combination of no pressure, not being able to cover, and not enough talented receivers - right?.  Offensively no one could get open.

So they addressed, hopefully, some of the cover issues this year and perhaps even mildly the lack of rushing issue..... and maybe added a bit of offensive talent to address some of those needs.  

I don't get your point.

Mine is those two you listed don't fit our locker room.  And maybe the org. sees more than we do with what we have ..... FOR NOW - not forever.  I think it is pretty clear they are always going to try to create competition.  But it is my feeling it won't be Suh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I get your point.. but I don't yet see the "difference maker" among those guys.  Hunt is either AWESOME or invisible.  Same can be said about Ridgeway who flashes, but hasn't shown he's a front line big moment guy.  Would you really not enjoy knowing you had Suh in there amongst the others when we needed him?  I may be wrong, but I think it is worth asking that question.  Many here wanted a first round DT.  Suh is like having a short term top end drafted DT without the commitment.  

When they moved Hunt to NT and rotated him with Grover, they went on their run to the playoffs.  Autry went off as the UT and Lewis was drafted to play in this spot.  Ward showed out at this spot as well, prior to his injury.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring in a Suh or Corey, but I feel like letting guys like Grover and Lewis/Autry develop behind Hunt and Autry is the more prudent choice?  It is just my opinion and I appreciate the banter man!

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

Huh?  Where did I say never?

No not at all.  How did the Chiefs beat us?  Which is a team at the level we need to be and were obviously not last year.

A combination of no pressure, not being able to cover, and not enough talented receivers - right?.  Offensively no one could get open.

So they addressed, hopefully, some of the cover issues this year and perhaps even mildly the lack of rushing issue..... and maybe added a bit of offensive talent to address some of those needs.  

I don't get your point.

Mine is those two you listed don't fit our locker room.  And maybe the org. sees more than we do with what we have ..... FOR NOW - not forever.  I think it is pretty clear they are always going to try to create competition.  But it is my feeling it won't be Suh.

So then you are saying we DO need another DT threat up the middle?  So where do we get it? If we already HAVE it, then we don't NEED it.  So which is it?  Do we need to add someone, or do we have someone?  If you don't know the answer, then you seem (not putting words in your mouth) but you SEEM to be agreeing with me.  Perhaps this opens the door to bringing in a FA experienced DT that is available.  Right now, the top 2 by far available are Suh and Liuget.  Do you have a third or fourth name for us to consider?  If you don't think we should bring someone else in, then you ARE saying we already have what we need.  Can we afford to wait until the end of training camp to learn we don't have it and then try at the last moment to cram someone in who got cut? I am not clear on what you are suggesting we do?  

I am simply asking the question, does this open the door? and if so, would Suh or Liuget fill that need?  If people wanted us to draft a top DT, then the only reason for that is if we still had a pressing need for that position.  (I think we DO have a pressing need there).   We couldn't get the right guy in the draft, so it seems logical to me to fill it with a FA if they can do the job for a year until we get another shot at drafting a young player to fill the void or sign perhaps a younger FA next year.  But we still have this year to worry about.  I can't see leaving us weak in the middle on the hopes that one of the existing guys steps up.  I think the insurance policy is to sign a FA to fill the hole FOR SURE while continuing to develop the young guys.  Hunt is no spring chicken either.  And he's injury prone.  

So what is your solution? Wait and see, fill the need in FA, fill the need in the 7th round or UDFA? 

42 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

From interviews I have heard from Ballard. He is not in agreement with you.  He seems extremely happy with his front line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

From interviews I have heard from Ballard. He is not in agreement with you.  He seems extremely happy with his front line.

So why did everyone on the planet in media and even this Colts.com staff including most people here on this board think we were taking a DT as a position of need? Especially the Clemson kids? 

23 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

So then you are saying we DO need another DT threat up the middle?  So where do we get it? If we already HAVE it, then we don't NEED it.  So which is it?  Do we need to add someone, or do we have someone?  If you don't know the answer, then you seem (not putting words in your mouth) but you SEEM to be agreeing with me.  Perhaps this opens the door to bringing in a FA experienced DT that is available.  Right now, the top 2 by far available are Suh and Liuget.  Do you have a third or fourth name for us to consider?  If you don't think we should bring someone else in, then you ARE saying we already have what we need.  Can we afford to wait until the end of training camp to learn we don't have it and then try at the last moment to cram someone in who got cut? I am not clear on what you are suggesting we do?  

I am simply asking the question, does this open the door? and if so, would Suh or Liuget fill that need?  If people wanted us to draft a top DT, then the only reason for that is if we still had a pressing need for that position.  (I think we DO have a pressing need there).   We couldn't get the right guy in the draft, so it seems logical to me to fill it with a FA if they can do the job for a year until we get another shot at drafting a young player to fill the void or sign perhaps a younger FA next year.  But we still have this year to worry about.  I can't see leaving us weak in the middle on the hopes that one of the existing guys steps up.  I think the insurance policy is to sign a FA to fill the hole FOR SURE while continuing to develop the young guys.  Hunt is no spring chicken either.  And he's injury prone.  

So what is your solution? Wait and see, fill the need in FA, fill the need in the 7th round or UDFA? 

:scratch:  :facepalm:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

His intent IS to build a solid lock room that could tolerate certain levels/types of players.
 Any? Haha! Why grossly overstate his logic?
 They would not make us Nasty. Suh is still solid if he wants.
 We will see if CB was honest when he said he likes our guys.
I do expect him to add a solid person before training camp in case of injury. Fortunately he has some time/camps to look at the players he does have. Grover and Jihad Ward will be given a shot IMO, Ridgeway better make a real jump to make the team.

• Like 2