Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle Makes Russell Wilson NFL's Highest Paid Player

Mel Kiper's Hair

He's a very good QB, but he wouldn't be in the top 10 if you counted them down. The price just keeps going up and up for a QB until a QB will take so much of the cap space that teams are going to fight to stay at 8-8. Next up is Dak, which would be surprising if he gets close since he hit the wall last year..

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

mike tyson lol GIFSo much for Luck's contract that some were critical of a few years ago.

Sad thing is that by the end of Russell's extension it will probably look like a bargain as someone will probably hit close to 45M per year.  

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

He's a very good QB, but he wouldn't be in the top 10 if you counted them down. 

I disagree.   I think he is a top 5 QB in the NFL.  It's just that he plays in Seattle and we don't see much of him.   He did bring a pretty poor team to the playoffs last season.  

image.png.53417338272d6df48d02241797cbf9e2.png

Not included is the rushing yards per season.  average 500 yards per season.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

mike tyson lol GIFSo much for Luck's contract that some were critical of a few years ago.

I guess you should laugh now because in a couple years the Colts are going to have to break the bank to re sign Luck.

Is he worth the amount of money, probably not but that's true of all athletes. But that's how the economy works. He's at the least a top 10 QB, doesn't make too many mistakes and sometimes he goes nuts and completely takes over the game. 

Not to mention he's been to two Superbowls winning one. So, I mean it's not too surprising, especially after the whole Kirk Cousins thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColtJax said:

He's a very good QB, but he wouldn't be in the top 10 if you counted them down

RW is a top five QB right now. He's criminally overrated in Seattle, but criminally underrated virtually everywhere else. He'd be in the HOF conversation if he retired right now. He's a great QB.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who was critical of Luck’s contract?

Im sure there were some, but no one with half a brain who understands how the system works....

Anyone come to mind?   

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im sure there were some, but no one with half a brain who understands how the system works....

Anyone come to mind?   

Plenty of people who don't know how the system works. I think our guy threeflight, for example, was up in arms because Luck didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Never mind the fact that the market was completely reset the next year by Matthew Stafford, of all people...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Plenty of people who don't know how the system works. I think our guy threeflight, for example, was up in arms because Luck didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Never mind the fact that the market was completely reset the next year by Matthew Stafford, of all people...

Goodness gracious...   I thought we’d be talking about media types like Skip Bayless!?    

But even Colts fans too?   I’d forgotten there were some like that...   though frankly nothing our friend TF posts should ever surprise any of us...   

Thanks for the 411.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ColtJax said:

He's a very good QB, but he wouldn't be in the top 10 if you counted them down. The price just keeps going up and up for a QB until a QB will take so much of the cap space that teams are going to fight to stay at 8-8. Next up is Dak, which would be surprising if he gets close since he hit the wall last year..

Wilson is absolutely top 10.  He consistently throws for 3500 yards and has 30+ TDs in 3 of the last 4 years.  He's also a good runner with the ball, so that's another weapon he has.

Living in Portland I do get to see quite a bit of Russell Wilson and I think Superman is spot on: overrated in Seattle but underrated by the rest of the country.

The guy does know how to win.  He isn't perfect but I would take him over lots of other starting QBs in the NFL.

And if he is your QB and you are looking at options finding someone better isn't very likely.  So you pay him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Wilson is absolutely top 10.  He consistently throws for 3500 yards and has 30+ TDs in 3 of the last 4 years.  He's also a good runner with the ball, so that's another weapon he has.

And the run threat makes his scrambling passes even more effective.  When the defense starts to look at containing his run and come up a little he blows a pass right over them to an open receiver.

He does have a tendency to spin out of pressure, running backwards through the spin and taking his eye off the defense with his back to the LOS while he does this.  It does cause him to take some bad sacks.

But he doesn't usually beat himself.  

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think he is a top 5 QB in the NFL.  It's just that he plays in Seattle and we don't see much of him.   He did bring a pretty poor team to the playoffs last season.  

image.png.53417338272d6df48d02241797cbf9e2.png

Not included is the rushing yards per season.  average 500 yards per season.  

So what you are saying is RW is play with a crappy team just like AL was when he was drafted?!!   RW got all the hype and people were saying he was better then luck but now since Wilson doesn't have that team he came into the league he's not as good. I'm not saying this is what you said,  I'm saying people other then colts fans thought this and it angered me lol.  Luck is the better WB and now since he has a better team and an online luck is getting more recognition 

25 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

So what you are saying is RW is play with a crappy team just like AL was when he was drafted?!!   RW got all the hype and people were saying he was better then luck but now since Wilson doesn't have that team he came into the league he's not as good. I'm not saying this is what you said,  I'm saying people other then colts fans thought this and it angered me lol.  Luck is the better WB and now since he has a better team and an online luck is getting more recognition 

Wilson certainly improved his team when he got there, just like Luck did with the Colts.   Ultimately I think Luck is the better QB of the 2, but Wilson is a top 5 QB in the NFL right now.   

I don't recall Wilson getting all the hype.   Sure when the Seahawks were Superbowl contenders he did, but that should be expected.   

I also sure that the Seahawks  did not want all of the drama putting it off, and wanted to show Wilson their commitment to him. Before the wrong words were said by someone, and it becomes a distraction this year. Now it's not an issue, and they can move on to other needs. Costly but, smart move.     

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Anyone come to mind?   

There were a few on here that were critical at the time the deal was done and when Luck got injured. more even piled on. Of course people like you and I did not but we know how the system works. See Superman's post above, there were some that complained. I do not like to mention names because it then looks like I am bashing an individual and opens up a can of worms.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Goodness gracious...   I thought we’d be talking about media types like Skip Bayless!?    

But even Colts fans too?   I’d forgotten there were some like that...   though frankly nothing our friend TF posts should ever surprise any of us...   

Thanks for the 411.

The media for the most part thought the deal was good for Indy and team friendly.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:30 AM, ColtJax said:

Disagree.  He is top 5.  Name 10 other qbs that r better

On 4/16/2019 at 2:07 PM, Superman said:

I think our guy threeflight, for example, was up in arms because Luck didn't deserve to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

He literally only shows up when he has something negative to say and then disappears until his next opportunity for criticism.

Drives me nuts...

no way abandon thread GIF

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He literally only shows up when he has something negative to say and then disappears until his next opportunity for criticism.

Drives me nuts...

no way abandon thread GIF

I didn't say that as a shot, hope it didn't come across that way. He was just the poster that came to mind...

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Disagree.  He is top 5.  Name 10 other qbs that r better

Brady

Big Ben

Brees

Luck

Rivers

Ryan

Goff

Mahomes

Aaron Rogers

Stafford

OK, maybe I'd rather have him than Stafford, but the point in that if he can demand 35 million a year it's not going to be long before a 50 million dollar QB is born..

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Brady

Big Ben

Brees

Luck

Rivers

Ryan

Goff

Mahomes

Aaron Rogers

Stafford

OK, maybe I'd rather have him than Stafford, but the point in that if he can demand 35 million a year it's not going to be long before a 50 million dollar QB is born..

SMH

We can argue about some of them, but the ones I crossed out are easily behind RW. Easily.

The Seahawks only have 4 picks in this draft. They pick at 21st.

I look for a trade down for them so they are really in no position to find a QB in this years draft.

They really had no choice but to sign Wilson to the contract he signed.

And yes, Wilson is a top 8 QB in the league IMO.

Teams only need look to how Colts handled Luck, and the Redskins handled Cousins.

If your guy is 'the' guy, then get it done.  If he's not, get his protege on the roster ASAP. Then let the elder QB go in a respectful manner as soon as reasonable. Seahawks got it done.

Redskins/Cousins method appears to work out bad (it seems) for everyone.