Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Khalen Saunders

Is it me or does this guy just scream Ballard pick.  Small school guy, Senior Bowl standout, high character guy.  I can see Ballard picking him before the "experts" have him slotted.  If Ballard "reaches" for him, which pick do you think he might use?  Also, there is this:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

Is it me or does this guy just scream Ballard pick.  Small school guy, Senior Bowl standout, high character guy.  I can see Ballard picking him before the "experts" have him slotted.  If Ballard "reaches" for him, which pick do you think he might use?  Also, there is this:

Yep, he's the type of player we might be surprised by getting picked by Ballard "too high" according to most analysts. For example I wouldn't be shocked if we pick him with one of the second round picks. I personally have him as a late second rounder. One of my favorite small school prospects. 

22 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Looks like he sucked in college. Would be disappointed anything before the 5th round.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3121634/khalen-saunders

Just for the record those are not his real stats. I think ESPN has boxscores only from 1 of their games so those are his stats from that one game. Here's his stats for his career and for this last season:

https://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=17009

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just for the record those are not his real stats. I think ESPN has boxscores only from 1 of their games so those are his stats from that one game. Here's his stats for his career and for this last season:

https://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=17009

I stand corrected, would have no problem saying I'm a dumb MAROON when I am, just like last year when I thought that we drafted a 27 year old basketball player in Darius Leonard.

Saunders is a big man for someone who is only 6 foot. He is very hard to move. If he played in the SEC or big ten, he'd be a late first round pick early second. I have him in my mock as a late 2nd round pick

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That's usually a big jump from a small school to the nfl especially on a early round pick.....ala Bashaam.

Ala Basham?!?   He went to a Div-1 school.

How about some guy named Darius Leonard?   He went to lower Div South Carolina State?    How’d he work out?

• Like 1

It can happen.  Offensive lineman Ali Marpet was drafted in the 2nd. rd.  2015 pick 61 by the Bucs out of Div. III  Hobart in Geneva NY.  He started right away and has played all three interior positions.  He signed a 55M contract extension.  Saunders could be another small school gem. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ala Basham?!?   He went to a Div-1 school.

How about some guy named Darius Leonard?   He went to lower Div South Carolina State?    How’d he work out?

Ohio university is D1? Are u sure? Nevermind you are right! My bad

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Ohio university is D1? Are u sure? Nevermind you are right! My bad

Honestly,  I wasn't 100 percent sure when I wrote that.   But I was mostly confident.   I don't recall any talk of Basham coming from a level of football that low.    And the level that Leonard played in was written about extensively,  so I thought there was a difference.

Glad it worked out for all....

Sorry that Basham didn't work out.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:42 AM, CR91 said:

Saunders is a big man for someone who is only 6 foot. He is very hard to move. If he played in the SEC or big ten, he'd be a late first round pick early second. I have him in my mock as a late 2nd round pick

He’s a guy I have an eye on too and after his Sr Bowl my guess is he’s on Ballard’s radar

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 1:43 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly,  I wasn't 100 percent sure when I wrote that.   But I was mostly confident.   I don't recall any talk of Basham coming from a level of football that low.    And the level that Leonard played in was written about extensively,  so I thought there was a difference.

Glad it worked out for all....

Sorry that Basham didn't work out.

The problem with basham is he played at a lower level school and performed like he belonged at a low level school. If I where to take a small school prospect they really have to jump out and have good stats because if you cant produce highly against low level competition how are you going to do it at a high level?

18 minutes ago, twfish said:

The problem with basham is he played at a lower level school and performed like he belonged at a low level school. If I where to take a small school prospect they really have to jump out and have good stats because if you cant produce highly against low level competition how are you going to do it at a high level?

We didn’t reach for Basham.   He was drafted right where most everyone projected him to go...    in the mid-80’s.  

Sometimes high picks just don't work out.   It happens. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We didn’t reach for Basham.   He was drafted right where most everyone projected him to go...    in the mid-80’s.  

Sometimes high picks just don't work out.   It happens. 

I didn't imply we reached for him. He had all of the athleticism for the position. I personally am not high on drafting any player based off attributes instead of production. I.E T.J green.

5 minutes ago, twfish said:

I didn't imply we reached for him. He had all of the athleticism for the position. I personally am not high on drafting any player based off attributes instead of production. I.E T.J green.

He had good production in college. Never a double digit sack guy but always between 7-9. He just didn't work out. Cant hit on every pick.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Production vs. Projection is a never ending raging debate in the scouting community.  

Some people want to see it on film. 

Others are are willing to project what a player may become with better coaching,  better strength and conditioning,  more maturity physically and mentally as they get older.

Honestly, I seriously doubt this debate will ever be settled even among industry professionals.

I’m not trying to influence you one way or another.   You seem to be a production guy.   So noted.   

• 2 weeks later...