Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

As I've said several times, with the signings of Funchess and Houston as well as re-signing Glowinski, Vinatieri, Rhodes, Desir, Hunt and Geathers all starting spots are filled.

So if Ballard and Co. Stick to the BPA philosophy then the drafting of a RB or a TE wouldn't be out of the question if the talent is there.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Colts really don't believe they have a reliable #2 RB.   Seeming more apparent.

Im not 100% certain Mack can be relied upon to carry the ball 20x a game for an entire season and stay healthy. 

Bringing in J. Ajayi for a visit, I’m can only assume that the Colts are looking for a reliable #2, in the event Mack were to go down.  When the Colts ground game was working in 2018, the offense was very, very good. 

Jacobs could bring serious value in the 2nd, possibily like J. Mixon to the Bengals.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I can see Reich being really into Jacobs, especially with his comments about wanting an elite run game. I used to be against the idea but now it's whatever, it could prove useful to have a guy who could help carry the load with Mack, or step up if Mack got hurt.

In Rd #1 I disagree, but the Saints and Bengals got pretty value in the 2nd drafting Kamara and Mixon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

In Rd #1 I disagree, but the Saints and Bengals got pretty value in the 2nd drafting Kamara and Mixon.

Yeah, I'm more just at the shoulder shrug stage. Wouldn't hate it and I can see the reasoning.

Like you, I'd rather lean another way at #26, particularly defense.

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I can see Reich being really into Jacobs, especially with his comments about wanting an elite run game. I used to be against the idea but now it's whatever, it could prove useful to have a guy who could help carry the load with Mack, or step up if Mack got hurt.

I can too.  And he's a good receiver and can pass protect.  There is a good chance he could be BPA at 26 if he gets there.   

Sorry, taking a RB in the 1st round, BPA or not, is silly. 

One of the most devalued positions out there. I always question Bama RBs as well as they are running behind typically one of the best OLs in CFB.

The O and D have much greater needs, and plenty of good RBs available post 1st round. give me Benny Snell in the 4th or 5th, who killed SEC Ds running behind a mediocre OL. Big body power back with high motor. Had more yards than Jacobs as well. Would be a perfect compliment to Mack. 

• Like 4

Hes not a first rounder for me. Hes not an absolute game wrecker like elliot or Barkley or as elite coming out of college like mccaffery. To take a top pick on a position that has less and less relevancy too winning a game and using it on a guy who wasnt really truly starting on his college team. I'll take Snell or Montgomery before him. We can sit here and talk BPA all day long but there is so much talent in this draft that he wont be BPA at 26 especially when there is a run on QBs like there is every year and if by some miracle he is BPA at 26 then trade back..

What if Ballard broke the mold and went against his normal drafting techniques this year while everyone is EXPECTING him draft defensive line and went WR/TE/RB (in any combination) with the first 3 picks ala Polian....?

Talk about going against the grain.....WOW

..........and then I woke up in a bathtub missing a kidney. Musta been some good stuff!??! Ha!

24 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Only first round worthy backs the last few years have been Barkley and Zeke Josh and Miles are no where near as polished as those 2 backs were.

The Patriots drafted Sony Michel last year with the 31st pick of the 1st rd.  He's not a Barkley or Zeke either but he was just what the Patriots needed in their run game.  I can see Josh doing the same thing for the Colts.  I don't remember Michel being a top 10 overall ranked talent as Jacobs is now.  Is he top 10 or top 20?  Who knows but it looks like the experts think he is worthy of a 1st. rd. selection.  

44 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Patriots drafted Sony Michel last year with the 31st pick of the 1st rd.  He's not a Barkley or Zeke either but he was just what the Patriots needed in their run game.  I can see Josh doing the same thing for the Colts.  I don't remember Michel being a top 10 overall ranked talent as Jacobs is now.  Is he top 10 or top 20?  Who knows but it looks like the experts think he is worthy of a 1st. rd. selection.  

Sony at least had 3 good season of around 1000 yards. IIRC, Jacobs best year was last year, and only had like 600 yards. And was the 3rd best back on Bama's roster (total yards). Not saying he's bad, or won't be good, but at least Sony had a lot of proven performance. I wouldn't have taken Sony at 31 honestly, but not shocked someone did. 

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah Hines is more of a receiver. Wilkins played well but not sure he would be able to replace Mack if he got injured. I don’t know where this guy is going to go in the draft but I don’t see Ballard using a first round pick. I take it he will go in the second or third round.

Wilkins started the first Texans game last year didn't really do all that much so I agree we need a more reliable number 2.

7 hours ago, MPStack said:

Actually.....   while Mixon went in the 2nd round,  Kamara actually went in the 3rd round.

Great value for the Saints.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twfish said:

Hes not a first rounder for me. Hes not an absolute game wrecker like elliot or Barkley or as elite coming out of college like mccaffery. To take a top pick on a position that has less and less relevancy too winning a game and using it on a guy who wasnt really truly starting on his college team. I'll take Snell or Montgomery before him. We can sit here and talk BPA all day long but there is so much talent in this draft that he wont be BPA at 26 especially when there is a run on QBs like there is every year and if by some miracle he is BPA at 26 then trade back..

If we take a RB in this class Dave Montgomery is the kid I want too. I think he's the most complete back in the draft. He can run it between the T's and is a very good receiver out of the backfield. He reminds me of Kareem Hunt and that's who many compare him to. He would fit Ballard's looker room mold perfectly.  He's a 3 down guy at 5'10 222lbs the ideal size 

• Like 3

The best "value" we can get would be to get a bigger back like FSU's Patrick in the 5th round or 6th round. The guy was a very good back in 2017, last year FSU had a horrible OL and a worst OC. He's a big back that would complement Mack and would only cost a low round draft pick if even that!!

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

They are looking at this guy because they know he aint going in the first round.

I don't know if the Raiders pass on him twice in the twenties.  I am currently compiling a composite big board using all of the big boards I can find and Jacobs worst rating so far is #29 overall.  Now I know that only real teams big board's matter but I think it's a pretty good sign that he ends up going first round. I highly doubt he goes top ten but I'm willing to bet he goes in the 20's.

Just now, Matthew Gilbert said:

I don't know if the Raiders pass on him twice in the twenties.  I am currently compiling a composite big board using all of the big boards I can find and Jacobs worst rating so far is #29 overall.  Now I know that only real teams big board's matter but I think it's a pretty good sign that he ends up going first round. I highly doubt he goes top ten but I'm willing to bet he goes in the 20's.

Dont think so. I can tell by the tape. You take game changers in Rd 1. Hes a good solid back but not somebody youre trying to get a 5th yr option on. Hes a good #2 committe back. The ranking is irrelevant to me. Like you said its where teams have him ranked on their boards in house.

The Colts are not taking a RB in round 1, 2 or 3. Just my opinion, of course. Day 3.....that's where to look. 

Think about these positions of need on the Colts:

DT, DE, OT, WR, TE, S.....and, to a lesser degree,  CB, LB.  Day 1 and 2 will almost certainly address these positions. 

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hes a good #2 committe back. The ranking is irrelevant to me.

If you are viewing him as a "#2 committee back" then I can see how there is no way you could see him going 1st round. I guess we just view the tape differently, where I see a three down back with tremendous upside. 

17 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

If you are viewing him as a "#2 committee back" then I can see how there is no way you could see him going 1st round. I guess we just view the tape differently, where I see a three down back with tremendous upside. 

That's what the Colts are looking for. They aren't looking for a guy to replace Mack. They are looking for a guy who can compliment him.  And I don't think they are looking to spend first round dollars to do that.  If it flames out how will the GM justify the pick?  There's not a whole lot there statistically to justify it.  We're talking about a guy who the high for his career is 640 yards. I think he's got a good skill set but I think they view him as a good compliment to the committee we already have and specifically to Mack.  He's definitely good enough to push Mack for his spot and provide good competition.  I can certainly see his fit on the team. I just don't think his body of work justifies a Round#1 pick.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's what the Colts are looking for. They aren't looking for a guy to replace Mack.

They are looking for a guy who can compliment him.  And I don't think they are looking to spend first round dollars to do that.  We're talking about a guy who the high for his career is 640 yards. I think he's got a good skill set but I think they view him as a good compliment to the committee we already have.  Why?  Because that's what he's been a committe runner.

I'm not really trying to argue that the Colts might draft him in the first round. I think another team will. And when you have guys like Najee Harris, Damien Harris, and Josh Jacobs on your roster, of course you are going to run a committee backfield.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I also think he is a three down back with tremendous upside.  I don't think he will be there at 26 though.  Mack seems to injury prone to me.  Why not bring in a better RB?  Strengthen the group.  He is a highly graded player that just might fall to us.  Evan Silva of BR said teams don't necessarily go by BPA they go by highest graded player.  If the Colts give him a 1st. rd. grade I can definitely see us taking him at 26.  I read where experts think there are only 18 players with 1st. rd. grades.  So it's possible.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'm not really trying to argue that the Colts might draft him in the first round. I think another team will. And when you have guys like Najee Harris, Damien Harris, and Josh Jacobs on your roster, of course you are going to run a committee backfield.

I don't think the Colts feel he's going to go in first round which is why they are showing interest.  Ballard and Reich have given enough info for us to see they are comfortable with Mack as the #1 runner.  Ballard even went so far as to question the need for the committee.  I don't think you do that if you're looking to replace Mack.  And that's what you'd be doing if you took this guy in the first round.   On the contrary I believe the colts don't believe he's going to be taken in the first round and that's the source of their interest.  I believe they are saying "If this guy is still around in rounds 2-whatever" he's a pretty good fit.  I get that you think he will go in the first.  My stance is I don't believe so and I don't think the Colts believe it either.