Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

18 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

What if Ballard broke the mold and went against his normal drafting techniques this year while everyone is EXPECTING him draft defensive line and went WR/TE/RB (in any combination) with the first 3 picks ala Polian....?

Talk about going against the grain.....WOW

..........and then I woke up in a bathtub missing a kidney. Musta been some good stuff!??! Ha!

Well....that could give us a offense to matchup against High Powered offenses like KC.

Against a KC defense, which was considered a weak unit, our O struggled and was overwhelmed. I don't think we got a first down Untill close to the 2 minute warning in the first half.

Offensive playmakers is a need. I think DF can help, but he only has a 1 year contract and I think the O needs more.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Sorry, taking a RB in the 1st round, BPA or not, is silly. 

One of the most devalued positions out there. I always question Bama RBs as well as they are running behind typically one of the best OLs in CFB.

The O and D have much greater needs, and plenty of good RBs available post 1st round. give me Benny Snell in the 4th or 5th, who killed SEC Ds running behind a mediocre OL. Big body power back with high motor. Had more yards than Jacobs as well. Would be a perfect compliment to Mack. 

This x1000. Snell did way more than Jacobs did, with way less around him....against essentially the same defensive level talent. Plus, Jacobs is going in Round 1, the hype is there, and the Raiders have 19 picks in the 1st round, the dude is gone way before Ballard would grab him. I don't see any scenario where our 1st rounder went to an RB. Now, TE? That's possible.  It's an extension of the offensive line, and also adds a much needed receiving option. With our current TEs contracts nearing expiration, it makes a lot of sense. Should either of the Iowa guys fall to 26, I could see them pulling the trigger. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well....that could give us a offense to matchup against High Powered offenses like KC.

Against a KC defense, which was considered a weak unit, our O struggled and was overwhelmed. I don't think we got a first down Untill close to the 2 minute warning in the first half.

Offensive playmakers is a need. I think DF can help, but he only has a 1 year contract and I think the O needs more.

KC is gonna have to score 40+ to stay in games this year, they completely dissolved a defense that was already bottom of the barrel. The only thing that D had going for it was a pass rush, and they essentially sold everyone but Chris Jones. Will be interesting to see how well he does without upper level talent around him. 

Do not draft Alabama running backs high....They all come into the league and are not as good as they seem at Bama. Running behind a O-line that is larger that the other colleges they play against increases the Bama backs value. They get in the league and just become complimentary guys

18 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

This x1000. Snell did way more than Jacobs did, with way less around him....against essentially the same defensive level talent. Plus, Jacobs is going in Round 1, the hype is there, and the Raiders have 19 picks in the 1st round, the dude is gone way before Ballard would grab him. I don't see any scenario where our 1st rounder went to an RB. Now, TE? That's possible.  It's an extension of the offensive line, and also adds a much needed receiving option. With our current TEs contracts nearing expiration, it makes a lot of sense. Should either of the Iowa guys fall to 26, I could see them pulling the trigger. 

for the life of me, can't understand the Jacobs love. not all that speedy, not all that explosive, not really asked to block, production wasn't near the level of others, and had the benefit of a great OL. i'm sure he'll be decent, but he also has the potential to be a big time bust. 

not a fan of TE early either. another devalued position. given all the data out there, the best place is 2nd or 3rd round. i'd take Wilson in the third all day over one of the Iowa guys in the 1st. heck there's some really interesting guys that will be available in the 4th or later as well.

chances are, we'll re sign one of the TEs, and I'd guess Ebron given age and injury advantage over Doyle. And we have Funch who is basically Ebron-lite. Overall, i'd wait till next year for TE unless someone they really like is available 3rd round or later.

27 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

KC is gonna have to score 40+ to stay in games this year, they completely dissolved a defense that was already bottom of the barrel. The only thing that D had going for it was a pass rush, and they essentially sold everyone but Chris Jones. Will be interesting to see how well he does without upper level talent around him. 

But there will be other teams, other defenses we will face EVEN IF KC's defense takes a step back. 

40 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

for the life of me, can't understand the Jacobs love. not all that speedy, not all that explosive, not really asked to block, production wasn't near the level of others, and had the benefit of a great OL. i'm sure he'll be decent, but he also has the potential to be a big time bust. 

not a fan of TE early either. another devalued position. given all the data out there, the best place is 2nd or 3rd round. i'd take Wilson in the third all day over one of the Iowa guys in the 1st. heck there's some really interesting guys that will be available in the 4th or later as well.

chances are, we'll re sign one of the TEs, and I'd guess Ebron given age and injury advantage over Doyle. And we have Funch who is basically Ebron-lite. Overall, i'd wait till next year for TE unless someone they really like is available 3rd round or later.

TE definitely isn't what I'd do, but I could certainly see it being BPA if either Hockenson or Fant is there at 26, especially Hockenson. I'm an advocate for a pick along the defensive line, but understand taking the best player at another position, rather than the 8th best player on the D line. 

21 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

TE definitely isn't what I'd do, but I could certainly see it being BPA if either Hockenson or Fant is there at 26, especially Hockenson. I'm an advocate for a pick along the defensive line, but understand taking the best player at another position, rather than the 8th best player on the D line. 

This year, I'm all about doing things that will help most in point differential, and help sooner than later. That said, I think a true speed/stretch WR and an iDL are the two areas that would help change point differential. Give me those 2 positions in the first three picks and I'll be very happy.

We were 8th last year (+89), and there was pretty big drop off after 4th. KC will take a big step back (they ranked second with +144) after losing a lot on D, and one of the top 3 WRs.

51 minutes ago, krunk said:

Any opinions on LJ Scott?

I like Scott in the later rounds as a thunder to Mack's lightning. He didn't play behind the best OL's at MSU. He can catch the ball when called upon. I think he's one of those guys who can be better pro then a college player 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

I like Scott in the later rounds as a thunder to Mack's lightning. He didn't play behind the best OL's at MSU. He can catch the ball when called upon. I think he's one of those guys who can be better pro then a college player 

I watched a few clips. Had not paid much attention before. I like his size. LJ is a big back who moves like a scat back. Hes got good vision, good feet and he runs with patience. And like you said hes a good receiver. I think he could stand to be more physical. Sometimes i think hes trying to be too pretty out there

15 hours ago, krunk said:

I watched a few clips. Had not paid much attention before. I like his size. LJ is a big back who moves like a scat back. Hes got good vision, good feet and he runs with patience. And like you said hes a good receiver. I think he could stand to be more physical. Sometimes i think hes trying to be too pretty out there

He could be a nice compliment to Mack. He could also help take the pressure off Wilkins while allowing Hines to focus on his role if Mack can't go.

There are going to be guys like this with 3 down ability available that may be better in a rotation into day 3 in this draft. I'm not sure what we are looking for but I think it's become obvious we want to add something to the RB room.  

I'd love Montgomery to fall to a spot Ballard would pull the trigger. I like Scott Snell and Dexter Williams as big backs playing the thunder role. Pollard is interesting and the kid from Oklahoma Anderson. He was thought to be at the top of this class before the injuries. He might be worth the gamble depending on medicals.