Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay talked to Manning before hiring Ballard

18 minutes ago, Gramz said:

My son seems to think he's holding out until the Saints team is for sale. :dunno:  He seems to think that's where Peyton will end up. 

Thoughts?

PM isn't rich enough to buy a team.   I assume he would be a small percentage owner and the front-man of a group or partnership.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

PM isn't rich enough to buy a team.   I assume he would be a small percentage owner and the front-man of a group or partnership.

I think he meant part owner.. possibly the Manning family. :dunno:

Yes Hiring PM would have been a huge mistake. Reports say it would have been Manning as President and Chucky as coach.  Both would probably have shared the GM role.  I appreciate the success Manning brought but getting the band back together would probably not have worked out in our favor.  I’m watching the Tennessee Vols do this same approach with Phillip Fulmer as Athletic Director and I think it is a huge mistake. It will take 5 years of being average before people realize these individuals had their time but their ways have run their course. I wish Manning the best but in no way do I think he is qualified to run a team. I think he knows this too and why he hasn’t taken a job.  Their is a huge difference between being a player and evaluating personnel that benefits a team long term. 

If Irsay wants Manning to be a part of the Colts management team I think he is going to have to give Peyton a stake in ownership. I think Peyton will definitely be a team owner one day. I think he is like Michael Jordan and just being a GM or team president won't be enough. I would love to see Peyton as part of the Colts again but I don't know if the Irsay family would be willing to give up a percentage of the team.

I'm thinking that Peyton might want to wait for his kids to grow up before he starts a new job like that. 

I have no idea how old Peyton's kids are but I think we're gonna have to wait for them to grow up before Manning is going to be very interested in a front office job.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm thinking that Peyton might want to wait for his kids to grow up before he starts a new job like that. 

I have no idea how old Peyton's kids are but I think we're gonna have to wait for them to grow up before Manning is going to be very interested in a front office job.  

I believe they are turning 8 this year.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep, this is the type of thing I love to hear from the decisionmakers on this team. 

It would have been difficult in 2017, I think. Manning would have been viewed as Ballard's superior. 

At this point, Ballard is established as one of the best GMs in the league. Anyone who joins the front office will be seen as part of the program, not the person running the program. We have the coach, so the major infrastructure and decisions are already made. 

And that being said, as much as I think it would be awesome for Manning to join the team, I'm not sure what role there is for him. Ballard has the football operation on lock. Maybe if Dodds or Hogan gets a GM role somewhere else, Manning would slide in as a deputy, but that's generally a role for someone being groomed to be the GM, and I don't see Ballard going anywhere any time soon. So we'd train the greatest Colt of all time to be a GM for another team? I don't know...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

It would have been difficult in 2017, I think. Manning would have been viewed as Ballard's superior. 

At this point, Ballard is established as one of the best GMs in the league. Anyone who joins the front office will be seen as part of the program, not the person running the program. We have the coach, so the major infrastructure and decisions are already made. 

And that being said, as much as I think it would be awesome for Manning to join the team, I'm not sure what role there is for him. Ballard has the football operation on lock. Maybe if Dodds or Hogan gets a GM role somewhere else, Manning would slide in as a deputy, but that's generally a role for someone being groomed to be the GM, and I don't see Ballard going anywhere any time soon. So we'd train the greatest Colt of all time to be a GM for another team? I don't know...

I think Irsay would have to make a position for Peyton such as vice president or something of that nature?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Irsay would have to make a position for Peyton such as vice president or something of that nature?

Yeah, I'm sure he could make a position for him. Polian was vice-chairman or something like that. My question is, what would Peyton actually do? What would he bring to the table? Where does he fit in the football operation?

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I'm sure he could make a position for him. Polian was vice-chairman or something like that. My question is, what would Peyton actually do? What would he bring to the table? Where does he fit in the football operation?

That may be the same question Peyton would ask himself?

I can see Manning owning the team soon if Irsay wants to step down. I know his daughter Carlie could take over as well. Her and Manning may join forces. Ballard will forever be the GM now until he leaves IMO.

I remember that there were a few in here that were saying Irsay and Manning did not get along after Manning was let go. That was pure silliness. Use to drive me crazy because that is far from the truth. Manning loves Indy I can assure everyone of that, if he didn't he wouldn't of came back for his statue presentation or be talking to Irsay at all. Common sense. Manning is my favorite player of all-time but I even agreed Irsay made the right decision. We had to give Luck the reigns and just rebuild at that point. If Luck wasn't there, then that decision would've been dumb but he was there haha . 

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can see Manning owning the team soon if Irsay wants to step down. I know his daughter Carlie could take over as well. Her and Manning may join forces. Ballard will forever be the GM now until he leaves IMO.

I remember that there were a few in here that were saying Irsay and Manning did not get along after Manning was let go. That was pure silliness. Use to drive me crazy because that is far from the truth. Manning loves Indy I can assure everyone of that, if he didn't he wouldn't of came back for his statue presentation or be talking to Irsay at all. Common sense. Manning is my favorite player of all-time but I even agreed Irsay made the right decision. We had to give Luck the reigns and just rebuild at that point. If Luck wasn't there, then that decision would've been dumb but he was there haha . 

Why would the Irsay's give up any part of the ownership of the Colts?

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because of the responsibility of owning a team can be overwhelming and time consuming. If Peyton gets bored, who knows? Also because if Peyton became interested in part ownership, the Irsay's may let him in on it considering he is the greatest player ever to play here. Peyton also has a great football mind so if Jim stepped down I am sure he would love to have someone like that. Carlie as of now would run the team as I posted but who knows what the future holds.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because of the responsibility of owning a team can be overwhelming and time consuming. If Peyton gets bored, who knows? Also because if Peyton became interested in part ownership, the Irsay's may let him in on it considering he is the greatest player ever to play here. Peyton also has a great football mind so if Jim stepped down I am sure he would love to have someone like that. Carlie as of now would run the team as I posted but who knows what the future holds.

But when you own the team you pay people to run the team. There are quite a few owners who are not as hands on as others.

The Irsay's own 100% of the Colts and IMO they are not interested in not owning 100%.

I know what Peyton means to the Colts but when you talk about ownership you are getting into something entirely different.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

But when you own the team you pay people to run the team. There are quite a few owners who are not as hands on as others.

The Irsay's own 100% of the Colts and IMO they are not interested in not owning 100%.

I know what Peyton means to the Colts but when you talk about ownership you are getting into something entirely different.

True. My original post was based on Jim stepping down too. Carlie may want 100% of the team and be fine with it. As of now Jim hasn't said anything about being burned out or wanting to step down either.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True. My original post was based on Jim stepping down too. Carlie may want 100% of the team and be fine with it. As of now Jim hasn't said anything about being burned out or wanting to step down either.

I don’t see PM getting any ownership of the colts unless the Irsays sell the team completely.  I get Manning is an all time great and the city loves him. It’s not happening. I would never in a million years sell part of my company to my best employee. I give bonuses, vacation time...etc.  It would be crazy to give up part ownership bc he worked hard while being compensated very well during their tenure. 

However, I would sell all of it. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:20 PM, Gramz said:

My son seems to think he's holding out until the Saints team is for sale. :dunno:  He seems to think that's where Peyton will end up. 

Thoughts?

I think Archie, Peyton, Eli and Cooper have enough money to make it happen if the Saints are sold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t see PM getting any ownership of the colts unless the Irsays sell the team completely.  I get Manning is an all time great and the city loves him. It’s not happening. I would never in a million years sell part of my company to my best employee. I give bonuses, vacation time...etc.  It would be crazy to give up part ownership bc he worked hard while being compensated very well during their tenure. 

However, I would sell all of it. 

I could be wrong but I just don't think Jim would sell the team as long as he is alive but who knows what will happen  when he passes. He has 3 daughters so it's hard to say.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't see the Irsay's going anywhere, either. Jim is still relatively young, even though he has health issues. His daughters are very involved. It doesn't seem like they intend to give up the team.

But, there was a "report" Irsay might have offered Manning a minority stake in the team after he retired. And that makes sense. A lot of sports teams have split ownership like that.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Out of curiosity how much cash do you think they could put together?

With what they are worth and their collateral, I doubt getting it financed would be a problem. An NFL team is a good investment and the returns would pay for itself.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:51 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I could be wrong but I just don't think Jim would sell the team as long as he is alive but who knows what will happen  when he passes. He has 3 daughters so it's hard to say.

I agree. The team is worth so much more for the annual profit than just the value of the team. 

In 2018 the Colts generated $373 million in revenue and spent $306 million in operating costs for an operating profit of $67 million. That's a lot of annual profit to lose once you sell the team.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With what they are worth and their collateral, I doubt getting it financed would be a problem. An NFL team is a good investment and the returns would pay for itself.

That wasn’t the question.

Let’s ask it another way. How much do you think think the Saints would cost to buy?

On 3/27/2019 at 4:09 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Why?

To get Peyton to spend the rest of his career in the Colts family and not end up as a part owner of the Titans or the Saints.    That might hold some value to the Irsay family.

But I’m only talking about 5-10 percent stake that Peyton would likely be offered at a good discount.   That’s often how these celebrity purchases are done. 

The vast majority of the Colts would remain with the Irsay family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why?

To get Peyton to spend the rest of his career in the Colts family and not end up as a part owner of the Titans or the Saints.    That might hold some value to the Irsay family.

But I’m only talking about 5-10 percent stake that Peyton would likely be offered at a good discount.   That’s often how these celebrity purchases are done. 

The vast majority of the Colts would remain with the Irsay family.

Just why would Irsay have a problem with Peyton being part owner with any team? 

You are confusing friendship with business.