Sign in to follow this  
Nesjan3

The curious case of NFL refs

So its gotten so bad that it has made it difficult to watch at times. I won't stop watching the Colts, but a lot of things that have happened in the last 10 or so years have really made me take the conspiracy theories into consideration.

Im not going to go so far to say the conspiracies are true, but there has been a lot of moments where you just watch and can't help but think either the refs are really bad at their jobs, or its a set up.

Now Sean Payton has come out at the league meetings and questioned the reffing from top to bottom. Saying that his kids high school refs could do a better job than the playoff "All star crews." He goes on to say the whole thing is flawed and needs some serious revision.

Do you think the NFL will address the refs anytime soon? Is it a conspiracy and the NFL is just going to keep force feeding us what they want with the refs assistance? Is the NFL in trouble? What are your thoughts

53 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Now Sean Payton has come out at the league meetings and questioned the reffing from top to bottom. Saying that his kids high school refs could do a better job than the playoff "All star crews." He goes on to say the whole thing is flawed and needs some serious revision.

I don't particularly care for Sean Payton, but

3f2.jpeg

Refs are human and they miss calls.  When they do it on national television it gets blown out of proportion.  

Honestly given all the factors I think the officiating in most NFL games is pretty good.  

I honestly think the problem is with the fans. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Refs are human and they miss calls.  When they do it on national television it gets blown out of proportion.  

Honestly given all the factors I think the officiating in most NFL games is pretty good.  

I honestly think the problem is with the fans. 

I do agree with this.

A lot of fans whine when a bad or no call against their team is called but totally overlook calls when it benefits their team.

Complaining about the refs is pure fandom.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I do agree with this.

A lot of fans whine when a bad or no call against their team is called but totally overlook calls when it benefits their team.

Complaining about the refs is pure fandom.

Perfect post! We all notice the plays that went against our team, but have blunders on for the ones our team got away with as well..  although that uncalled PI was beyond bad so I understand Peyton anger over it still.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JimJaime said:

Perfect post! We all notice the plays that went against our team, but have blunders on for the ones our team got away with as well..  although that uncalled PI was beyond bad so I understand Peyton anger over it still.

There are some obvious bad calls that I think most football fans can look at and realize that was a bad call.  Some of them in the past have been due to the rules being poorly written.  Honestly the competition committee's poor writing to the rules has caused far more problems in the past than the refs.  

However the PI wasn't one of them.  That was a simple bad no call by the officials.  

That said I think those are the exception to the rule.  If calls that bad were every day things, we wouldn't be talking about it.  

The nfl just admitted the pats should of been called for a penalty giving the rams the ball at the one yard line.

They also expanded challenges to PI on both defense and offense. 

Props to Sean Payton...    He got a 1-year experimental rule passed.    Pass Interference is now reviewable.    Both the onces called,  AND the ones not called.    Either way,  offensive or defensive.

They'll evaluate in a year after they see how it works.

The props are in order....   according to Pat Kirwan,  this was going to get voted down easily.   Then Payton campaigned and got all 32 head coaches to vote for it.    They took that to the competition committee and it suddenly passed.

The right move for a year.    Hopefully it works and it will become the new normal in the years to come.

People: oh my god these refs are horrible they are rigging the games, missing obvious calls, I can’t watch this!

Same People: Don’t change the officiating process in any way! It’s fine as it is, they’re humans they make mistakes, games are long enough already, too many challenges, too many commercials...

NFL fans are going to turn into NASCAR fans if they keep this up. 

51 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

People: oh my god these refs are horrible they are rigging the games, missing obvious calls, I can’t watch this!

I think the refs are horrible and they make a lot of calls to make sure games stay competitive.

51 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Same People: Don’t change the officiating process in any way! It’s fine as it is, they’re humans they make mistakes, games are long enough already, too many challenges, too many commercials...

I don't feel this way at all.  I think they should change the officiating process and I think refs should be held more accountable.  Players get fined for blatant rules violations and it becomes public knowledge, I think refs should get fined as well for blatant missed or wrong calls.  And that information should be public knowledge as well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think the refs are horrible and they make a lot of calls to make sure games stay competitive.

I don't feel this way at all.  I think they should change the officiating process and I think refs should be held more accountable.  Players get fined for blatant rules violations and it becomes public knowledge, I think refs should get fined as well for blatant missed or wrong calls.  And that information should be public knowledge as well.

Its not everyone for sure, but I have seen more than enough who say those things congruently. 

This new gambling age we’ve entered has changed the game. The kinds of penalties that are the reason we need these safety nets are absolutely the kind that alter the game. Transparency is going to become increasingly more necessary as time goes on. Millions of dollars are now changing hands based on the calls being missed and made incorrectly on the field.

I’ve said for years there needs to be a grading system for officials, and they need to have their weekly grades made public, and if their average grade is below a certain amount at the end of the season they are out. You’ve got a maximum of 16 games a week, so have a team of 2 re-watch and assess games each week and grade officials. 

Of course the Refs Union will never allow this to happen, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t by any means. The union is only interested in protecting the jobs of the officials, not the quality of job they are doing or it’s effect on the integrity of the game. 

The more workable fix is the sky judge. There aren’t that many plays per game that are called so badly they need to be corrected. People seem to equate this idea with a guy stopping the game after every single play and re-watching it. 

No. Don’t be foolish. This official would be heard from less than a half a dozen times a game if even half that. 

Get it right. The emphasis has been headed that way for years, and the legalization of gambling is the can of worms just waiting to blow this issue up entirely. 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:19 AM, John Waylon said:

Its not everyone for sure, but I have seen more than enough who say those things congruently. 

This new gambling age we’ve entered has changed the game. The kinds of penalties that are the reason we need these safety nets are absolutely the kind that alter the game. Transparency is going to become increasingly more necessary as time goes on. Millions of dollars are now changing hands based on the calls being missed and made incorrectly on the field.

I’ve said for years there needs to be a grading system for officials, and they need to have their weekly grades made public, and if their average grade is below a certain amount at the end of the season they are out. You’ve got a maximum of 16 games a week, so have a team of 2 re-watch and assess games each week and grade officials. 

Of course the Refs Union will never allow this to happen, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t by any means. The union is only interested in protecting the jobs of the officials, not the quality of job they are doing or it’s effect on the integrity of the game. 

The more workable fix is the sky judge. There aren’t that many plays per game that are called so badly they need to be corrected. People seem to equate this idea with a guy stopping the game after every single play and re-watching it. 

No. Don’t be foolish. This official would be heard from less than a half a dozen times a game if even half that. 

Get it right. The emphasis has been headed that way for years, and the legalization of gambling is the can of worms just waiting to blow this issue up entirely. 

I would say a sky judge should be able to review everything, including missed calls but with the instructions that he only stops the game for missed calls that are blatant and obvious.  

The NFE "National Football Entertainment" has been a bit sketchy

since Goodell has taken over as the leader. Not to mention he has

a huge hard on for the Patriots.

I would probably quit watching the NFE if not for Ballard and 

Reich being in place. Maybe the football mafia will "allow" the

Colts to win a title within the next decade.

8 hours ago, dodsworth said:

The NFE "National Football Entertainment" has been a bit sketchy

since Goodell has taken over as the leader. Not to mention he has

a huge hard on for the Patriots.

I would probably quit watching the NFE if not for Ballard and 

Reich being in place. Maybe the football mafia will "allow" the

Colts to win a title within the next decade.

What has Goodell done to the Patriots they haven't deserved?

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think he's implying Goodell is allowing the Pats to win, hence will Goodell allow the Colts to win within the next decade in the same manner?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The NFE obviously has an agenda of who they want to advance

and win certain games, especially Patriot games. Just watch as

flags start flying in crunch time as certain teams are marched 

downfield for the victory. Look no farther than the recent Saints 

playoff loss.

When a ref goes under review and the whole world sees a play

but the referees calls it different, then things get a little suspicious.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

I think he's implying Goodell is allowing the Pats to win, hence will Goodell allow the Colts to win within the next decade in the same manner?

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

The NFE obviously has an agenda of who they want to advance

and win certain games, especially Patriot games. Just watch as

flags start flying in crunch time as certain teams are marched 

downfield for the victory. Look no farther than the recent Saints 

playoff loss.

When a ref goes under review and the whole world sees a play

but the referees calls it different, then things get a little suspicious.

My impression of having a hard on for something is different I guess.

I feel like it's less of a ref thing and more of a rulebook thing.

It's a problem in the NHL, the NFL and even the NBA. So many rules with not enough clarity that it becomes a judgement call. Perfect example: Pass interference and what is and isn't a catch.

Solution: Dumb it down. Keep it simple. Call less stuff and have less rules for penalties. Have refs only call OBVIOUS stuff. Yes, I get that we have a lot of these rules for player safety and that's important, but, and as much as I hate to say this, it's football. Guys are gonna get hurt. There has to be a better way to help with player safety that doesn't involve Quenton Nelson getting fined for dishing out a clean block or Joe Haden getting called for PI fo playing defense,. It's becoming unwatchable in big games. 

• Like 2