Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The curious case of NFL refs

Nesjan3

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have watched sports since the late 70's and I have to say some of it does look fishy. I won't say it is rigged but the refs can influence what happens if a game is real close, especially in the NBA.

Your name is 17 characters  long!

18 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

So isn't this kind of like gambling?

If your favorite team isn't supposed to win the game, then that old saying is true that not only are they playing against the other team, but also against the refs.

They're playing against "the house" just like a gambler.  Doesn't that just make it all the more exciting as a fan who also happens to be a gambler?

I've become invested in the Colts again since Ballard took over. The best example I can give of the Colts is a long-term investment. A movie is a two hour investment, if it's bad, oh well. A football season is a six-month investment, you have around a 1 in 32 chance of winning the SB based on how good your team is. When you watch with friends and family, you get joy from the experience, and it's calmed the playoff losses a bit. However, the Pats winning all these years have worn me out, and Manning won once with us. Luck hasn't even made it, and we have to worry about Mahomes. I guess I'm getting close to the point where I'd rather gamble for my benefit, than watch every year for a longshot.

We are playing against the house, but it becomes about the time spent just to try and feel part of something and ultimately not get the result I want when I can feel involved and benefit in other ways (betting, fantasy football). 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I've become invested in the Colts again since Ballard took over. The best example I can give of the Colts is a long-term investment. A movie is a two hour investment, if it's bad, oh well. A football season is a six-month investment, you have around a 1 in 32 chance of winning the SB based on how good your team is. When you watch with friends and family, you get joy from the experience, and it's calmed the playoff losses a bit. However, the Pats winning all these years have worn me out, and Manning won once with us. Luck hasn't even made it, and we have to worry about Mahomes. I guess I'm getting close to the point where I'd rather gamble for my benefit, than watch every year for a longshot.

We are playing against the house, but it becomes about the time spent just to try and feel part of something and ultimately not get the result I want when I can feel involved and benefit in other ways (betting, fantasy football). 

You have a weird point of view when it comes to being a fan.  Maybe not weird, but just different than mine.  You ever heard of that saying "it's about the journey, not the destination"?  I think you're a little too focused on the outcome instead of just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

It's not like you're an employee of the team that is actually invested so much that if the team loses you get fired and have to move your family to a new city to work for a different team.  You're just a fan that gets to enjoy your favorite team every year win or lose.

And yes, there is joy in losing because you get to look forward to trying to improve with new and better staff, improving the team through the draft and FA, and always looking forward to next year.  It's not just "Oh we didn't win the SB, I just wasted a year of my life rooting for this loser team"...

:2c:

24 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You have a weird point of view when it comes to being a fan.  Maybe not weird, but just different than mine.  You ever heard of that saying "it's about the journey, not the destination"?  I think you're a little too focused on the outcome instead of just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

It's not like you're an employee of the team that is actually invested so much that if the team loses you get fired and have to move your family to a new city to work for a different team.  You're just a fan that gets to enjoy your favorite team every year win or lose.

And yes, there is joy in losing because you get to look forward to trying to improve with new and better staff, improving the team through the draft and FA, and always looking forward to next year.  It's not just "Oh we didn't win the SB, I just wasted a year of my life rooting for this loser team"...

:2c:

There is no joy in losing. Only for the players because  they get paid 7 digits , whether they go 15-1, or 0-16. They never lose. You lose a bet....means there's no joy in losing lol

I'm a Rams fan as well. There was no point in watching them during and after the Bulger years, till 2017. When a team sucks, it's like a energy vampire lol. No point in paying attention. "Paying attention".. I ain't "spending" my time on that, yo! 

Or to put it another way. That's 15 years of one sorry a-butt-ss journey! 

Lol. 

2 hours ago, BertJones said:

There is no joy in losing. Only for the players because  they get paid 7 digits , whether they go 15-1, or 0-16. They never lose. You lose a bet....means there's no joy in losing lol

I'm a Rams fan as well. There was no point in watching them during and after the Bulger years, till 2017. When a team sucks, it's like a energy vampire lol. No point in paying attention. "Paying attention".. I ain't "spending" my time on that, yo! 

Or to put it another way. That's 15 years of one sorry a-butt-ss journey! 

Lol. 

I disagree.  A championship is just a cherry on top for loyal fans.

I'm a fan of my teams and get joy from them every year no matter what.  Pro, college, high school, championship seasons, losing seasons, "rebuilding" seasons, during the season, offseason, preseason, tailgating, recruiting, playing the annual Thanksgiving morning game with friends, doesn't matter.  I love every bit of it.  I love the sport for everything about it, not just the feeling when my favorite teams win championships.

I think it's sad when a fan can only enjoy a game if their team wins.  Which might lead to some peoples' mindset regarding games being "rigged".  It's like they have to rationalize why they didn't get the desired outcome of their viewing experience instead of just accepting that losing is a part of life.  The response to losing shows the real character of a person.  :hat: