Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FA Day 1 (officially starts @4pm)

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

he hit 908 in only 12 games... he was 3rd behind Gurley and Elliot for in total yards and YPC those 12 games.

In 2016 bell ran for over 1200 yards and over 600 yards... In 12 games.

It's really a moot point now obviously. But let's slow down with the idea we dodged a huge financial bullet. 

22 minutes ago, creid said:

In 2016 bell ran for over 1200 yards and over 600 yards... In 12 games.

It's really a moot point now obviously. But let's slow down with the idea we dodged a huge financial bullet. 

Marlon Mack last year - 4.7 yards per carry on 195 attempts.  Expand that out to the 261 attempts Bell had in his BEST YEAR EVER (in terms of YPC) 3 YEARS AGO.  

That comes out to 1227 yards for Mack at 4.7 YPC vs Bell's 1268 at 4.9 YPC.  

Bell's salary for this year - 13 Million

Mack's salary for this year - .75 Million

Congrats you just paid 12.25 Million or 6.5% of the Cap for an extra 41 rushing yards at a cost of about $300,000 per extra rushing yard.

And that's assuming that Bell can match his best season ever from 3 years ago vs. Mack's season being just last year.

Oh and a little note.  Bell's last season that he actually played 2 years ago he averaged 4 yards per carry.  

I'll take Mack at the low salary.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard is going to have to increase his offer to keep him.  He let him hit the market.  We shall see. 

I've said it before, I like Desir, a lot, but hes 28, soon to be 29, and his talent level is easily replaced

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Marlon Mack last year - 4.7 yards per carry on 195 attempts.  Expand that out to the 261 attempts Bell had in his BEST YEAR EVER 3 YEARS AGO.  

That comes out to 1227 yards for Mack at 4.7 YPC vs Bell's 1268.  

Bell's salary for this year - 13 Million

Mack's salary for this year - .75 Million

Congrats you just paid 12.25 Million or 6.5% of the Cap for an extra 41 rushing yards at a cost of about $300,000 per extra rushing yard.

And that's assuming that Bell can match his best season ever from 3 years ago vs. Mack's season being just last year.

He didn't tho..  You can pro rate it all you want. Maybe Mack doesn't get the touches cause he can't handle that workload. We can go back and forth with all kinds of ifs and buts. But like I said its really a non issue. 

I like Mack he's a solid back and does a great job behind a stellar line. It's Ki da sad how everyone will turn on him when he's due to get paid. 

What got lost in my original post was that we didn't Adress any need. celabrating we didn't "waste $" on Bell is fine if it's your $ and we are in done kind of $trouble but we're not. 

Forget the $ you gonna tell me as a colts fan you wouldn't of loved a Bell/Mack tsndum?

8 minutes ago, creid said:

He didn't tho..  You can pro rate it all you want. Maybe Mack doesn't get the touches cause he can't handle that workload. We can go back and forth with all kinds of ifs and buts. But like I said its really a non issue. 

I like Mack he's a solid back and does a great job behind a stellar line. It's Ki da sad how everyone will turn on him when he's due to get paid. 

What got lost in my original post was that we didn't Adress any need. celabrating we didn't "waste $" on Bell is fine if it's your $ and we are in done kind of $trouble but we're not. 

Forget the $ you gonna tell me as a colts fan you wouldn't of loved a Bell/Mack tsndum?

Honestly, and I said this all along, no I wouldn't. Because I don't feel like we'd be getting the 2016/2017 version of Bell.  Steelers ran the heck out of him, combined with his ego as evidence by his own verified tweets, and the rumor of him being out of shape, nope nada, stay away from bell.

Besides, that ship has sailed, time to move on dude.

12 minutes ago, creid said:

Besides, this is where you need to go post your posts like this one

Sure, but that's ignoring a very specific thing.  The Colts have limited resources in terms of draft picks and cap space.  

So as a fan I'm also looking at those resources as something that could be spent someplace else.  

Saying "Wouldn't you just love to see this star player on your team" just leads to fans who are angry because their team didn't sign every star free agent.  

Fact is I simply don't want Bell for the resources (cap space) he is going to take up and the amount of risk (also cap space in the form of dead money) he would entail.  

But sure, ignore the resources, ignore the locker room issues, ignore everything but on the field play.  Yeah I'd like to see Bell on this team.  

But shoot ignore all those things and I think our starting lineup should be the 2018 All Pro Team.  

Man its getting very disappointing to see all the best FAs going off the board and all we have to show for it is Devin Funchess. Seriously Devin Funchess? We should have made a play for Dee Ford and Landon Collins. I know you don't build a team through free agency but man nothing wrong with adding a few much needed pieces. Especially with 100 Mil to spend. Get Luck some pieces so we can go out and compete with NE and KC. 

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Honestly, and I said this all along, no I wouldn't. Because I don't feel like we'd be getting the 2016/2017 version of Bell.  Steelers ran the heck out of him, combined with his ego as evidence by his own verified tweets, and the rumor of him being out of shape, nope nada, stay away from bell.

Besides, that ship has sailed, time to move on dude.

That's not what he asked.  He wants you to just play Madden except less complex because even in Madden you have to worry about the salary cap.  Forget about locker room dynamics, forget about cap space, forget about draft picks.  

1 hour ago, our_dbs_rock said:

The big thing that has bothered me about the past few days is the fact that most of these contracts have come without the players and staff sitting down and having a formal "interview".  Yes, it is a relatively small community but they dont really have a chance to sit down and have a talk to discuss if each other have similar philosophies, goals, good chemistry with teammates, etc and will ultimately gel together. 

Good point, I (like you point out) feel maybe more so for character fit than skill.  The Pro scouting department not only knows what schemes they've played and fit, but techniques they excel at and weaknesses. But the character is a ?? until an interview.

1 hour ago, our_dbs_rock said:

I think this has been the big reason why Ballard has made so few moves.  He has put the team culture as one of the main focuses of his regime and you cant judge another player based on a phone conversation with their agent.  

Josh McCown was on NFL radio with Charlie Weiss and Bob Papa earlier today.  He reiterated what many other players and coaches have said.  While talent is important, it is the 'chemistry' of the team that is one of the most important aspects of a winning team. 

Irsay and Ballard want to revive the Colts winning culture once more.  They will be very careful on who they draft and who the sign in FA.

• Like 2

Hopefully we go after some second tier players that I have been looking at like jason verrett. I wonder what the market is for Darby since he hasn't announced anything. I'd love to have him but I still feel hes getting a huge contract that I dont want us to pay lol 

6 minutes ago, Sethc1020 said:

Man its getting very disappointing to see all the best FAs going off the board and all we have to show for it is Devin Funchess. Seriously Devin Funchess? We should have made a play for Dee Ford and Landon Collins. I know you don't build a team through free agency but man nothing wrong with adding a few much needed pieces. Especially with 100 Mil to spend. Get Luck some pieces so we can go out and compete with NE and KC. 

12 minutes ago, Sethc1020 said:

So you want to pay 14 mil a year to a S and go after a 3-4 OLB who has only had one good season

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Sure, but that's ignoring a very specific thing.  The Colts have limited resources in terms of draft picks and cap space.  

So as a fan I'm also looking at those resources as something that could be spent someplace else.  

Saying "Wouldn't you just love to see this star player on your team" just leads to fans who are angry because their team didn't sign every star free agent.  

Fact is I simply don't want Bell for the resources (cap space) he is going to take up and the amount of risk (also cap space in the form of dead money) he would entail.  

But sure, ignore the resources, ignore the locker room issues, ignore everything but on the field play.  Yeah I'd like to see Bell on this team.  

But shoot ignore all those things and I think our starting lineup should be the 2018 All Pro Team.  

All of that is fair and I agree 100%.  I just disagree all of the Bell slaming that keeps going on and the speculation how he's such locker room poison. 

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's not what he asked.  He wants you to just play Madden except less complex, forget about locker room dynamics, forget about cap space, forget about draft picks.  

Not what I'm was saying at a but thanks. I wouldn't know the first thing about NFL locker room. Nor does anyone else on here including yourself. 

Not signing a big name FA, doesn't mean we weren't involved in pursuing any of those big name FA's.  Too many equate not getting one with not trying.  We are competing against the other teams in the NFL.  It's not like, "okay Player X, do you want to play for the Colts?  If not, then we'll let you pick from any other NFL team, then."

We don't get first crack at these guys and then they decide to go elsewhere.

I'm confident that Ballard kicked the tires on some of these guys, but it got too expensive for his taste and vision.  Better to use the money to sign good to very good players and have more of them, than to have 1 or 2 high priced divas.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Hopefully we go after some second tier players that I have been looking at like jason verrett. I wonder what the market is for Darby since he hasn't announced anything. I'd love to have him but I still feel hes getting a huge contract that I dont want us to pay lol 

This wasn't really my stance going in to free agency. But I think looking at earl Thomas would be huge to mentor the young players. Not to mention he's a stud. 

He's gonna have a chip on his shoulder to from last year. 

A lot of Seahawks fans where I live would love brag about earl kicking butt wearing the shoe. 

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Good point, I (like you point out) feel maybe more so for character fit than skill.  The Pro scouting department not only knows what schemes they've played and fit, but techniques they excel at and weaknesses. But the character is a ?? until an interview.

Josh McCown was on NFL radio with Charlie Weiss and Bob Papa earlier today.  He reiterated what many other players and coaches have said.  While talent is important, it is the 'chemistry' of the team that is one of the most important aspects of a winning team. 

Irsay and Ballard want to revive the Colts winning culture once more.  They will be very careful on who they draft and who the sign in FA.

The Chemistry thing is why I don't usually drool over super productive guys who are a locker room cancer often from a losing team who's locker room has imploded.  

Antonio Brown

OBJ

Bell

It's basically like giving them 18 million dollars to divide your locker room.  

There is a reason that the Giants are getting rid of a super star player in the prime of his career!!!!  But fans can't see that, they can only see all the stats he puts up.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Isnt that what ballard always does.  The chargers GM said the same thing on Twitter a couple days ago. He said I don’t hate FA I just like a value.  Once teams start cutting to make room for all these stupid signings your going to see some very good players become available.

All of that is fair and I agree 100%.  I just disagree all of the Bell slaming that keeps going on and the speculation how he's such locker room poison. 

Not what I'm was saying at a but thanks. I wouldn't know the first thing about NFL locker room. Nor does anyone else on here including yourself. 

You don't have to be an NFL player to determine that this guy isn't too popular in the locker room.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/09/05/steelers-players-trash-leveon-bell-amid-holdout/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25276952/pittsburgh-steelers-players-raid-locker-teammate-leveon-bell

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, creid said:

This wasn't really my stance going in to free agency. But I think looking at earl Thomas would be huge to mentor the young players. Not to mention he's a stud. 

He's gonna have a chip on his shoulder to from last year. 

A lot of Seahawks fans where I live would love brag about earl kicking butt wearing the shoe. 

not happening:

3 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

Good for Henry, well deserved.

Wowza!

One Good season gets Henry $8.4 mill per on a 3-year deal...   and that could go up to $11 mill per with incentives.  

Holy crap!

Good for Henry, but I never thought he’d get a deal like this....