Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FA Day 1 (officially starts @4pm)

Today will be a large news day in terms of the number of official signings. Teams can also talk directly to players starting at 4pm vs their agents like in the last almost 48 hours.  I feel we will see a couple moves out of the Colts as the dust settles this evening.  Namely among second tier FAs. Either way, it should be an exciting day.  I'll post whatever I see on this thread. Enjoy

The big thing that has bothered me about the past few days is the fact that most of these contracts have come without the players and staff sitting down and having a formal "interview".  Yes, it is a relatively small community but they dont really have a chance to sit down and have a talk to discuss if each other have similar philosophies, goals, good chemistry with teammates, etc and will ultimately gel together. 

I think this has been the big reason why Ballard has made so few moves.  He has put the team culture as one of the main focuses of his regime and you cant judge another player based on a phone conversation with their agent.  

• Like 7

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard should make a play for Randall Cobb. He’s 28 and could play in the slot for us. 

Wouldn't be a bad signing. I prefer Tate but would be happy with any additional WR help to add to the Funchess signing.

For what it is worth, Cobb is set to visit New Orleans, which would be a great spot for him to land too.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think we are done at WR also. If we sign anymore there would be to many.  Unless they bring Inman back for some depth.

I agree. Inman would be the exception. Otherwise, they will roll with the young guys, including the WR they select in the 2nd round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am fairly sure you guys are right and we are done in the WR market. That said, I am not super high on Pascal or Rogers (despite his RFA tender) and not super high on the prospects of Johnson either.

So I would love to have a group consisting of TY/Funchess/Cain/Another FA/Draft pick

Then I would let Fountain, Johnson, Pascal and Rogers fight it out for a potential 6th WR spot if we kept that many.

At the end of the day though, it sure does sound like we will head into the year w the exact same WRs as last year other than Funchess and hopefully seeing what Cain can do.

19 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I am fairly sure you guys are right and we are done in the WR market. That said, I am not super high on Pascal or Rogers (despite his RFA tender) and not super high on the prospects of Johnson either.

So I would love to have a group consisting of TY/Funchess/Cain/Another FA/Draft pick

Then I would let Fountain, Johnson, Pascal and Rogers fight it out for a potential 6th WR spot if we kept that many.

At the end of the day though, it sure does sound like we will head into the year w the exact same WRs as last year other than Funchess and hopefully seeing what Cain can do.

Let’s say Cain does really well. I think Funchess is going to surprise everyone.. Rogers and pascal will be the fourth WR. I am ok with that. I think we could have a pretty strong WR group if Cain is ready. 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It looks like Funchess turned down a two year deal worth more money because he wanted to play for the colts. We need that kind of player.

I was just commenting on this in another thread. Holder's article is cryptic, however.

The two year deal worth more money does not say anything about guarantees and such.

It very well could have been a 2 year deal where he got 2 years and $16M (for example) but where the only thing guaranteed was his 2019 salary and it was structured in a way where he got (as an example) $8M in 2019 and $8M in 2020 but that 2020 was salary only w no guarantees.

And if so, maybe we came in and said "let us pay you more this year to bypass your guaranteed money and also give you the chance to bet on yourself in return for no long term commitment".

I would be super curious to hear the actual specs of the 2 year deal he passed up.

Because unless it was a deal where he had more than $10M guaranteed on the table, he didn't do this just because he wanted to play for us. He did it because he got the same or more guaranteed upfront and gets to hit FA again afterwards.

I still think Funchess could be a nice fit here, but I am not yet convinced that he took a discount to be here based on not knowing the specs that Holder was referring to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Mack - on a rookie contract and hasn't hit 1000 yards. 

Bell - 5 years of proving to be the best RB in the league and can Gert 200 scrimmage yards. 

Get outta here with that. 

I do agree it's not nessesarily smart to spend out money on RB. Good thing we decided to spend it on pass rush and secondary... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, creid said:

Bell - 5 years of proving to be the best RB in the league and can Get 2000 scrimmage yards. 

I do agree it's not nessesarily smart to spend out money on RB. Good thing we decided to spend it on pass rush and secondary... 

2 minutes ago, creid said:

Bell - 5 years of proving to be the best RB in the league and can Gert 200 scrimmage yards. 

he hit 908 in only 12 games... he was 3rd behind Gurley and Elliot for in total yards and YPC those 12 games.