Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official complaints about Free Agency thread (merge)

GusFring

8 hours ago, threeflight said:

In 2 years those rookie deals will no longer be rookie deals, and then what?  We have to pay Luck and the present day rookies.  THE TIME TO HIT WAS NOW.  

Or we can pay our critical guys, let the good (but not great) players walk, and continue to add new rookies and solid FAs.

Two different opinions of how to build a team going forward.  One puts an emphasis on winning now.  An if we don't win now, then what?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Everybody likes to bring up NE...well this is what they do. 

Not really.

Yes, they let good players walk if they aren't interested in meeting their contract demands (Flowers, Brown, Butler, etc.)

But more often than not, they've been trading for good players, keeping them for a year, then flipping them for a pick (Cooks). They traded Chandler Jones, didn't let him walk for a comp pick. And when they did make an obvious comp pick signing with Revis, they executed it far differently than what we're doing with Funchess. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think the comp system is collectively bargained, although I suppose it's something the players could ask for a say on. Don't see why they would...

As for signing players to one year deals to increase your odds of getting future picks, I think that's simply a potential by-product, not necessarily a core strategy. If you sign a player who plays well, and he fits your team, and he's 26, he should remain part of your core if possible. It's better to keep a player who plays well and fits than it is to potentially get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick a year from now. This is the same reason we don't just trade our good players a year before they come up for FA, but even that would be a more practical plan, because you're securing compensation now, not hoping for future compensation if the stars align.

I think people are a little overboard with their comp pick justifications lately. 'It's okay if we lose good players in FA, we'll get a comp pick a year from now!' Nah, that's not a primary team building strategy. It's an element to consider, but it's like 8th on a list of ten elements, IMO.

Oh I agree people go overboard. Comp picks are not a core building strategy...but I do think it is very much a consideration when you are signing one year deals...especially higher-priced ones. Cheap flyer FAs (like Glow) are different.

With Funchess...this is just how I see it playing out. 

I don't think signing a bunch of one-year pillow contracts should be a core building strategy either...because the Colts are trading off cost control and certainty to reduce the risk. Definitely should be part of the strategy though.

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yes, Ballard has said on numourous occasions that they put a value on a player and when the player exceeds that amount he can sleep well knowing he’ll go after the next player. I will say this about Ballard he don’t mince words and I respect that. 

And Ballard apparently values Devin Futch at $10-$13 M....which is absolutely insane.

For people saying the Colts are at a point in the process that the Browns were a year or two ago aren't taking one thing into account: Ballard is conservative AF, and Dorsey is the epitome of aggressive. Ballard will never do what Dorsey did this offseason, never. What's sad is that the goal is to win Super Bowls, right? So, why not spend a portion of what we had, acquire some heavy hitters, and make a run at a few SB titles before Lucks arm falls off? You can't tell me this team wouldn't have competed for the SB with OBJ and Lev, and a couple of key additions on defense...you couple that with our draft selections, and we're in there. I think you can become too conservative, and miss your window. Hopefully he continues to draft well, because that's literally the only way this philosophy leads to success, and not mediocrity. 

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really.

Yes, they let good players walk if they aren't interested in meeting their contract demands (Flowers, Brown, Butler, etc.)

But more often than not, they've been trading for good players, keeping them for a year, then flipping them for a pick (Cooks). They traded Chandler Jones, didn't let him walk for a comp pick. And when they did make an obvious comp pick signing with Revis, they executed it far differently than what we're doing with Funchess. 

NE lets guys go all the time....one way or another...and they find more cost-effective ways of replacing them OR they just upgrade the position with a great player instead of re-signing an expensive good player (like they did when they signed Gilmore and let Ryan walk in FA). 

That was my point. That they definitely do not adhere to the "re-sign your own" mantra...they are very selective and creative in team building. And trust me...I have been pounding the table for Ballard to make some trades.

I wasn't referencing the Funchess signing in that post...just generally about approach of paying your own.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

For people saying the Colts are at a point in the process that the Browns were a year or two ago aren't taking one thing into account: Ballard is conservative AF, and Dorsey is the epitome of aggressive. Ballard will never do what Dorsey did this offseason, never. What's sad is that the goal is to win Super Bowls, right? So, why not spend a portion of what we had, acquire some heavy hitters, and make a run at a few SB titles before Lucks arm falls off? You can't tell me this team wouldn't have competed for the SB with OBJ and Lev, and a couple of key additions on defense...you couple that with our draft selections, and we're in there. I think you can become too conservative, and miss your window. Hopefully he continues to draft well, because that's literally the only way this philosophy leads to success, and not mediocrity. 

Adding OBJ and Bell, along with the remaining picks we had and some lower priced FA's?

We are probably SB favs heading into this year AND we would probably still have some cap space left.  We have a solid 5-6 good years of OBJ left, 2 or 3 with Bell, and cap flexibility.

Why does anyone want to pass that chance up when it would not have broken the bank by any means?

Makes no sense.

I just have to shake my head at those saying 'wait....lets give this another year or 2 THEN GO FOR IT'.

Ok.  By that time Luck is 2 years older.  Rookie contracts are up.  And there is no guarantee that players the caliber of Hunt, Bell, OBJ and AB will even be available.

Nope....we blew it.  We had a team coming off a good season.  Cap space.  Fan interest was coming back.  And we had 2 teams in the Steelers and Giants holding a fire sale for ELITE players.

What did we do?  Nothing.

Why?  Because we have a GM who is so freaking cocky in this thoughts that his way is the ONLY way and that he can find players anywhere that he failed to take advantage of what was thrown in his face.

Mark my words this team is going to regret this off season for a long long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Adding OBJ and Bell, along with the remaining picks we had and some lower priced FA's?

We are probably SB favs heading into this year AND we would probably still have some cap space left.  We have a solid 5-6 good years of OBJ left, 2 or 3 with Bell, and cap flexibility.

I just have to shake my head at those saying 'wait....lets give this another year or 2 THEN GO FOR IT'.

Ok.  By that time Luck is 2 years older.  Rookie contracts are up.  And there is no guarantee that players the caliber of Hunt, Bell, OBJ and AB will even be available.

Nope....we blew it.  We had a team coming off a good season.  Cap space.  Fan interest was coming back.  And we had 2 teams in the Steelers and Giants holding a fire sale for ELITE players.

What did we do?  Nothing.

Why?  Because we have a GM who is so freaking cocky in this thoughts that his way is the ONLY way and that he can find players anywhere that he failed to take advantage of what was thrown in his face.

Mark my words this team is going to regret this off season for a long long time.

Nah man, we signed Devin Funchess for the same amount we could've payed Lev Bell basically...and Lev will probably have more RECEIVING yards next year than Funchess lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Nah man, we signed Devin Funchess for the same amount we could've payed Lev Bell basically...and Lev will probably have more RECEIVING yards next year than Funchess lol. 

LOL it really puts things into perspective when you realize that Ballard just about paid the same amount for Futchess as Lev Bell...an elite elite player.

It makes no sense and is totally contrary to everything Ballard has preached.

16 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

If Ballard won't make moves this offseason...it does make one wonder if he ever will. Next year's FA group isn't very strong...and most of the good players won't make it.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If Ballard won't make moves this offseason...it does make one wonder if he ever will. Next year's FA group isn't very strong...and most of the good players won't make it.

At some point he's either gonna have to start signing guys or extending contracts, because they're well under the 89% 4-year CB threshold. 

16 minutes ago, threeflight said:

LOL it really puts things into perspective when you realize that Ballard just about paid the same amount for Futchess as Lev Bell...an elite elite player.

Except he didn't.  The guaranteed money and years was more for Bell.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

At some point he's either gonna have to start signing guys or extending contracts, because they're well under the 89% 4-year CB threshold. 

Which is the plan, signing your own players like Nelson and Lawrence (who were drafted last year and are impact guys).  OBJ, Bell, and Brown do not offer the locker room presence that the Colts are looking for currently.

This team is young, won ten games last year and is on the rise and I am fine with added quality pros and trusting the evaluations of draft prospects of the staff.

12 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Except he didn't.  The guaranteed money and years was more for Bell.

As they should be.  Bell is a proven elite player.  One of the best RBs of the modern era.  You want to lock up players like that.

Futchess didn't deserve jack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

Nope....we blew it.

Why are you acting as if it's all already over?

The season (you know, when they actually play the games) hasn't even started yet.

You're going to look like a damn fool if the Colts win a SB with Devin "freaking" Funchess.  And at the very least, if the Colts have a more successful season than the Raiders and Browns, you know damn well we're all going to come back to this thread and throw all your nonsense posts back in your face.  :thmup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't think the comp system is collectively bargained, although I suppose it's something the players could ask for a say on. Don't see why they would...

As for signing players to one year deals to increase your odds of getting future picks, I think that's simply a potential by-product, not necessarily a core strategy. If you sign a player who plays well, and he fits your team, and he's 26, he should remain part of your core if possible. It's better to keep a player who plays well and fits than it is to potentially get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick a year from now. This is the same reason we don't just trade our good players a year before they come up for FA, but even that would be a more practical plan, because you're securing compensation now, not hoping for future compensation if the stars align.

I think people are a little overboard with their comp pick justifications lately. 'It's okay if we lose good players in FA, we'll get a comp pick a year from now!' Nah, that's not a primary team building strategy. It's an element to consider, but it's like 8th on a list of ten elements, IMO.

I laugh at the folks who think this way since a majority of them are also the same folks that are in here screaming when we aren't spending big on the top-notch elite talents the first day or two of tampering or free agency.

News flash to the masses:

If you spend big on free agents it off-sets the comp picks you would get if you lose a guy.

So if Funchess blows up and then we lose him and he signs somewhere else, the only way we get a comp pick for that is if we then are not spending big on anyone else next off-season.

Are you guys all gonna be good w us not spending next year to get a comp pick in the 2021 draft in that example?

My guess is no. So the comp pick side of the Funchess deal is pretty much a dead topic before it even begins unless you are someone who is totally OK with us spending very little on outside FAs (which most of our board seems to not be OK with lol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

As they should be.  Bell is a proven elite player.  One of the best RBs of the modern era.  You want to lock up players like that.

Futchess didn't deserve jack.

That wasn't the argument you were making nor what I responded to in my post.  You said that CB paid as much for Funchess as Bell received which was not true.  You moved your goal posts of your argument.

58 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I laugh at the folks who think this way since a majority of them are also the same folks that are in here screaming when we aren't spending big on the top-notch elite talents the first day or two of tampering or free agency.

News flash to the masses:

If you spend big on free agents it off-sets the comp picks you would get if you lose a guy.

So if Funchess blows up and then we lose him and he signs somewhere else, the only way we get a comp pick for that is if we then are not spending big on anyone else next off-season.

Are you guys all gonna be good w us not spending next year to get a comp pick in the 2021 draft in that example?

My guess is no. So the comp pick side of the Funchess deal is pretty much a dead topic before it even begins unless you are someone who is totally OK with us spending very little on outside FAs (which most of our board seems to not be OK with lol)

I am not ok with it...I just expect it. Colts aren't spending big money on UFAs...it's just not happening for one reason or another.

Besides, they could spend a lot of money on guys that are released...or trade middle round picks for guys under contract...and those won't affect the comp formula.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I am not ok with it...I just expect it. Colts aren't spending big money on UFAs...it's just not happening for one reason or another.

Besides, they could spend a lot of money on guys that are released...or trade middle round picks for guys under contract...and those won't affect the comp formula.

Exactly why I was and still am expecting CB to chase Justin Houston

On 3/12/2019 at 10:14 AM, threeflight said:

So instead of trading a 3rd and a 5th and giving a top 5 greatest WR of all time $18 M for 3 years, which would have made the Colts instant top 3 favs to win the SB this year, we decided to give $13 M to a guy who runs like a statue and who can't catch.

Does this make any rational sense?

To me it doesn't and I'm surprised Irsay hasn't stepped in and said sign someone while we have all this money and Luck is still viable 

Antonio Brown... top 5 WR of all-time, really?

3 hours ago, threeflight said:

Complete nonsense

In these contemptuous days/hours as FA is getting under way lets remember to address posts rather than attacking the poster...

Some posts have been removed...

With that said, if you take an impassioned stance & continue to double down on said stance, do not be surprised when others also take an impassioned stance, and or negatively address/critique that stance...

• Like 2

Just now, Buck Showalter said:

With that said, if you take an impassioned stance & continue to double down on said stance, do not be surprised when others also take an impassioned stance, and or negatively address/critic that stance...

Exactly. It's fine to have an opinion, just as it's ok when someone has an opinion...about your opinion. 

50 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He runs like a "statue" & "can't catch."

Just saying this video means absolutely nothing.  I can go and find a Trent Richardson video being a beast and we all know he was bad. I think I saw somewhere that funchess led the league last year in drops.  So I guess he can't catch.  

Devils advocate here!! 

6 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Just saying this video means absolutely nothing.  I can go and find a Trent Richardson video being a beast and we all know he was bad. I think I saw somewhere that funchess led the league last year in drops.  So I guess he can't catch.  

Devils advocate here!! 

Yeah, my grandmother has one of those hype videos. (She also runs a 4.4 40 and hits like a Mack truck)

40 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Devils advocate here!! 

He was also phased out of the offense by his former team...only one year after his supposed breakout season, in exchange for guys that could separate.

I like the height...but the lack of a separation (and lack of YAC...1.8 woof) is what concerns me. You can see Cam chucking it up to Funchess in that video. That's not Luck's style. Luck is a cerebral...he goes through his reads to find the open man and uses touch. I don't like the idea of him throwing contested passes to a covered WR...no matter his size. Maybe in the red zone...but not between the 20s.

I still hope they double dip at WR in the draft...and get some speed and guys that can make plays after catch.

Tyrell Williams signs for 4 years, $44 M.

So potentially $2 M less a year than Funchess, and you get to keep him for longer than a year if he does well his first season.

You're telling me we couldn't afford that?????  

Williams is 10 x the wr that Funchess is.

Brilliant Ballard!!!

14 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Tyrell Williams signs for 4 years, $44 M.

So potentially $2 M less a year than Funchess, and you get to keep him for longer than a year if he does well his first season.

You're telling me we couldn't afford that?????  

Williams is 10 x the wr that Funchess is.

Brilliant Ballard!!!

The sky is falling!

There's no way we ever win a SB with Ballard in charge!

We're all gonna die!  AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

ahhhhhhhh-5b2ff4.jpg