Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official complaints about Free Agency thread (merge)

GusFring

4 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Even the Browns are making splashes now. This is like Christmas when your friends get videogames and cool bikes, and you get socks and a stupid sweater. 

Lol I love getting socks, always something I can use unlike that latest Gadget!

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry.    Not trying to be difficult.    But I believe the part about Cap Space is false too.

They typically have tons of space.    Belichick is famous for being tight with money and having plenty of space.     He wins without having to spend very much money.   

If you find something that shows otherwise,  please link it here.    I'd love to see that.

Well they had $130 M in cap space in 2017 and spent it all.  And were in the SB the next 2 years.

So that completely invalidates your 'opinion'.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i'll let you look for that one lol

Actually, I just did.     And you're closer to being right than I am...    at least in the last 5 years.

I checked Over The Cap.com and the Pats have typically been in the bottom third in available cap space.    I'd peg them at roughly 20-24 on the list.     Plenty of teams below them.    But more teams above them in available money.  

I stand corrected.     My bad.          :hat:

Cap space is great..... but what if it's the bonus money that the team has to cough up that is leading us to be ultra conservative?  

I know CB wants to be conservative by nature, but Irsay's ONLY income is from being the owner of the Colts....  most Owners have a LOT more liquid assets than Irsay.  

It's not JUST cap space that is needed.... it's a whole lot of  cold hard cash that has to be paid with these huge bonuses....  

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Well they had $130 M in cap space in 2017 and spent it all.  And were in the SB the next 2 years.

So that completely invalidates your 'opinion'.

No.   They did not spend it all.     

Here is Over the Cap.com.       Feel free to check the last 5 years.     They've never spent it all.   Not even close.     Their typically in the bottom 10-15 teams of available cap space.    But never came close to spending it all.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

You're consistant.    Consistantly wrong.      Hey,  it's a gift!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, I just did.     And you're closer to being right than I am...    at least in the last 5 years.

I checked Over The Cap.com and the Pats have typically been in the bottom third in available cap space.    I'd peg them at roughly 20-24 on the list.     Plenty of teams below them.    But more teams above them in available money.  

I stand corrected.     My bad.          :hat:

So who are they paying then?  Scrubs?  Backups?

Don't let BB fool you.

They have good players and they coach them to be even better.

No BB does not typically spend a fortune on guys that he thinks can be replaced, but the guys he doesn't think can be replaced?   He pays them.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   They did not spend it all.     

Here is Over the Cap.com.       Feel free to check the last 5 years.     They've never spent it all.   Not even close.     Their typically in the bottom 10-15 teams of available cap space.    But never came close to spending it all.

You're consistant.    Consistantly wrong.      Hey,  it's a gift!

At least I know how to spell consistent right.

Money spent in 2017.

Jaguars$178M7+Yes

Ravens$163M1+No

49ers$148M4+No

Bears$133M2+No

Saints$126M4+Yes

Patriots$126M-1Yes

Colts$93M-4No

15 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Even the Browns are making splashes now. This is like Christmas when your friends get videogames and cool bikes, and you get socks and a stupid sweater. 

Lol...so true. Ballard thinks it's a game show and the team with the most money left is the winner.

2 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Fellow Colt Supporters..... The Browns will be DEADLY.  The AFC is gonna be a monster to go through to make it to the Big Dance. We gotta step up

Until OBJ and Mayfield get into a pissing match.....  AND OBJ figures out he's in Cleveland OH.....  

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Lol...so true. Ballard thinks it's a game show and the team with the most money left is the winner.

Blows my mind we have only so many years left with Luck, even less with TY, finish a surprising 10-6, and we get.....Devin Funchess as our #2 Wr.

Yay.

3 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Fellow Colt Supporters..... The Browns will be DEADLY.  The AFC is gonna be a monster to go through to make it to the Big Dance. We gotta step up

Browns are making it happen.  Raiders are making it happen.

Now OBJ?

Wow just wow.

Meanwhile we have Futchess.

Just lol at the Ballard rainbow colored supporters in here.

You're telling me we couldn't give a 1 and 3rd and Brisset for OBJ???

Only puppies and rainbows right guys?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So you realize how much money we are going to need in the Next few years. Leonard will probably get a 80m contract. Nelson will get a gigantic one. We have Kelly to resign. 25 free agents next year. Not to mention Luck. If Kenny Moore plays like last season he will get s huge contact with in 2020. This cap space is going to be gone very quick.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Cap space is great..... but what if it's the bonus money that the team has to cough up that is leading us to be ultra conservative?  

I know CB wants to be conservative by nature, but Irsay's ONLY income is from being the owner of the Colts....  most Owners have a LOT more liquid assets than Irsay.  

It's not JUST cap space that is needed.... it's a whole lot of  cold hard cash that has to be paid with these huge bonuses....  

AND THIS IS THE TRUTH... Thanks for dropping that knowledge to the fanbase. Irsay and Davis in Oakland are the "poor boys" of the NFL owners.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Introspect said:

lol whake up TK Night 

Just now, threeflight said:

Now OBJ?

Wow just wow.

Let’s come back to this post when both those teams miss the playoffs. You can’t but a SB.

15 minutes ago, threeflight said:

So a top ten talent who is in the fifth round, who played full time at U-M, and who was cleared by the NFL, isn't worth taking in the fifth round to you?

Ok then.  No harm.  To me he was.  Apparently to the Raiders as well.

And of course,  reading comprehension is not your strength....     it doesn't matter what I want.   I would've loved if we had signed him.    I was a HUGE fan of Hurst.

But once I learned he wasn't an option.   That he was taken off the board,  then the ship sailed for me.     I don't re-hash the decision a year later.     What was done was done.     I move on.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Let’s come back to this post when both those teams miss the playoffs. You can’t but a SB.

I doubt the Browns miss the playoffs.

Raiders may be a year away.

Fact is we did make the playoffs.  No team is standing out yet this year.  WE could have grabbed a OBJ or a Brown or a Bell to put is over the top in conjunction with the rest of our FA money and draft.

We didn't.

And don't tell me FA isn't over yet.  There wasn't much out there to start with.  Its even more barren now.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

And of course,  reading comprehension is not your strength....     it doesn't matter what I want.   I would've loved if we had signed him.    I was a HUGE fan of Hurst.

But once I learned he wasn't an option.   That he was taken off the board,  then the ship sailed for me.     I don't re-hash the decision a year later.     What was done was done.     I move on.

My point was if Ballard wanted him, he would have gotten him.

He got too cute and too cocky though instead.  Should have gone with quality.  He thought he was too smart.

Are you telling me that looking back now that it wasn't a mistake not drafting him?

6 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Now OBJ?

Wow just wow.

You’re telling me that the Giants would have taken that? Over what is essentially 2, 1st round picks and a 3rd

12 minutes ago, threeflight said:

At least I know how to spell consistent right.

Money spent in 2017.

Jaguars$178M7+Yes

Ravens$163M1+No

49ers$148M4+No

Bears$133M2+No

Saints$126M4+Yes

Patriots$126M-1Yes

Colts$93M-4No

I gave you the website.    It shows how much cap space they have left the last 5 years.

You chose not to look at it.

It's what you do.

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I doubt the Browns miss the playoffs.

Raiders may be a year away.

Fact is we did make the playoffs.  No team is standing out yet this year.  WE could have grabbed a OBJ or a Brown or a Bell to put is over the top in conjunction with the rest of our FA money and draft.

We didn't.

And don't tell me FA isn't over yet.  There wasn't much out there to start with.  Its even more barren now.

Bell is still available...

Building the Chiefs and now the Browns. The Browns have more talent than the Colts have. Slowly but surely. How did that just happen? They have a better defense, including a star pass rusher in Myles Garrett. The Colts don’t. They have better playmakers on offense with a very good young QB.

They way Dorsey is acquiring talent for them is impressive. 

Dorsey simply gets it: draft picks are overrated. Proven talent >>> draft picks. That’s why they have Odell and we don’t. 

Ballard is getting scraps with Funchess, but Dorsey is getting top class WR in Odell.

What a shame. Would have loved to see TY, Odell, Ebron etc.

When it's time to upgrade the talent of the Colts in free agency Ballard has done a good job at this time last year, but if he was willing to overpay just a little the Colts perhaps to have landed some quality players that could help the Colts even more. Or if he didnt value these draft picks so much we could have had Odell, who will

be better than anyone at 26!

The Colts were reportedly in on Landon Collins, Adrian Amos and Preston Smith, but Ballard couldn't close either (couldn't with Norwell or Jeffery either). Given the reasonable contracts of Amos and Smith that's a little disappointing to me. This is free agency, and I know Ballard has a set price on players.. but come on, if you want to add talent you have to overpay a little when it comes to certain free agents.  Happy to not pay Collins that amount, but the other two... that hurts. You have to admire Ballard's steadfast approach, but I wish he would be a little less stubborn.

It's funny. The Colts have almost every advantage. 

- Top 5 QB

- Winning program

- Top quality GM (just not a closer of Free agents that's highly sought after) and coaching staff to develop

- Reportedly a great culture

- Top quality stadium to play in

- State income tax is decent

- A lot of cap space to make moves

Love his drafting in '18, but developing draft picks take time because you're not going to get rookie All Pros every draft (no, it likely won't happen, and I'm expecting the '19 draft to be somewhere between '17 and '18 in terms of quality). Luck is not getting any younger. I'm afraid Chris Ballard's Ted Thomson approach to free agency is going to leave Luck with a wasted career because the Colts like the Packers with Aaron Rodgers (ask Packers fans about that philosophy) didn't bring in sufficient talent through free agency and the draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

My point was if Ballard wanted him, he would have gotten him.

He got too cute and too cocky though instead.  Should have gone with quality.  He thought he was too smart.

Are you telling me that looking back now that it wasn't a mistake not drafting him?

Wow, just wow. Too cute and too cocky but yet he was Exec of year and the Colts were voted the best draft last year.

What a poor job he did. No doubt you could have done much better.

Here is the Browns line up.

Talk about deadly.  We have a long long way to go to match that.

Browns offense going be awesome if Mayfield continues to progress
Baker Mayfield
Nick Chubb
Kareem Hunt
Odell Beckham
Jarvis Landry
Antonio Callaway
David Njoku

I might also add that Ballards favorite cut, Henry Anderson, just got paid.  Worst cut ever.

9 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

"Overspending" for a one year deal with a chunk of it in incentives, when you have 100+ million in cap, cannot be considered overspending. Overspending is dishing out 6 year deals with a whole lot of guaranteed money, making players that aren't the best at their positions one of the top, if not the top, paid players of said position... 

It is only unusual to fans that don't listen to his process... He's looking for value. He found value. Funchess on a one year deal with a high incentive to perform is good value. There will be plenty more in the upcoming days and weeks. 

My favorite post all day. Thank You.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You’re telling me that the Giants would have taken that? Over what is essentially 2, 1st round picks and a 3rd

I would have gladly thrown in a future 3 or even a 2 to pair a 26 year old OBJ  with Luck and Hilton on the other side.

AGAIN...26 YEARS OLD.

With zero F's given.

That is how you win championships.

My god lol.  This year we have had Hunt, Bell, AB and OBJ all made available and we got zip.

Just lol.  

Think about that.  Most cap space in the NFL and we got zip.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So you realize how much money we are going to need in the Next few years. Leonard will probably get a 80m contract. Nelson will get a gigantic one. We have Kelly to resign. 25 free agents next year. Not to mention Luck. If Kenny Moore plays like last season he will get s huge contact with in 2020. This cap space is going to be gone very quick.  

So based on this rationale, we put the cash in the bank and save em for 20 players of our own? The cap will increase and a GM worth his salt is suppose to get creative. Spend today but still save for tomorrow. That's why CB is paid the big bucks.  SCARED MONEY DON'T MAKE NONE!!

1 minute ago, Mr.ZapRowsdower said:

My favorite post all day. Thank You.

$13 M for Funchess is not value.

It's a major reach and an overspend and it prevents you from getting who you really should have gone after...AB or OBJ.  That is my issue with it.  Fine if you want to add Funchess as a side piece....but don't depend on that guy when we have nothing else but Hilton.

I want a GM that zigs when all the hipsters are zagging.  When people go out to get that shiny new car, I want the one 2 years old with only 15,000 miles that costs 28% less.  I can use the extra money to go places and celebrate... like Disney World.