Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrell Williams, Kevin White, or another free agent receiver?

I just looked at the wide receiver free agent list and I was wondering, who on this list would you give a contract to? Two names that really stand out to me are Kevin White  and Tyrell Williams. Williams is just 26 years old and is going to demand a big contract  Kevin White who is also 26, is the Bears 7th overall pick and has been lost in the shadows in Chicago.

I wouldn’t mind Ballard giving him a 1 year prove it deal just to him back on his feet to playing like he’s capable of playing. Then there’s the loaded WR draft class. What do you guys think? We need another WR to go along with Cain and TY. Chester Rodgers is a free agent and Ryan Grant is a free agent as well. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

2 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Why would Tyrell Williams 'demand a big contract?'  No thanks on that.  Kevin White would have to be super cheap to even consider.  

I would pursue Robby Anderson as long as the Jets don't place a 1st or 2nd round tender on him. 

If that's your view,  then you haven't followed Tyrell Williams long enough.

I'll link his bio page.    Look at his last 3 years.    He's averaging about 16 yards a catch.    That's TY HIlton territory.

Spotrac is projecting Williams will get 3 years and 29 Million,  and I think they've dramatically underestimated what Williams will receive in a Free Agent WR class that lacks talent and depth.

I'm guessing his floor will be 4/40.    I think Williams will sign for roughly 5/50 or even 5/55.

And I wouldn't be shocked at all if Williams gets 5/60 from some team and frankly,  I hope that teams is the Colts.     Williams is my off-season, free agent man crush this year.    Sirianni was his coach when he was with SD.      The only thing Williams lacks is a big name and reputation.   He went undrafted out of a small school in Oregon and has worked his way up.

He'll be 27 in February.    His prime football years.    I hope he plays them in Indianapolis.

https://www.chargers.com/team/players-roster/tyrell-williams/career

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If that's your view,  then you haven't followed Tyrell Williams long enough.

I'll link his bio page.    Look at his last 3 years.    He's averaging about 16 yards a catch.    That's TY HIlton territory.

Spotrac is projecting Williams will get 3 years and 29 Million,  and I think they've dramatically underestimated what Williams will receive in a Free Agent WR class that lacks talent and depth.

I'm guessing his floor will be 4/40.    I think Williams will sign for roughly 5/50 or even 5/55.

And I wouldn't be shocked at all if Williams gets 5/60 from some team and frankly,  I hope that teams is the Colts.     Williams is my off-season, free agent man crush this year.    Sirianni was his coach when he was with SD.      The only thing Williams lacks is a big name and reputation.   He went undrafted out of a small school in Oregon and has worked his way up.

He'll be 27 in February.    His prime football years.    I hope he plays them in Indianapolis.

https://www.chargers.com/team/players-roster/tyrell-williams/career

I'm not opposed to adding a player like Tyrell especially in the range of Spotrac's projection.   But with KAllen constantly injured and MWilliams consistently inconsistent, I was really hoping Tyrell would progress up the ladder but clearly he has regressed to third option since his breakout sophomore season.  Maybe a change of scenery could help revert him back to form but he'll need to prove it before signing a huge contract.

4 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

I'm not opposed to adding a player like Tyrell especially in the range of Spotrac's projection.   But with KAllen constantly injured and MWilliams consistently inconsistent, I was really hoping Tyrell would progress up the ladder but clearly he has regressed to third option since his breakout sophomore season.  Maybe a change of scenery could help revert him back to form but he'll need to prove it before signing a huge contract.

To be honest there is not much time for him to prove it.  The season is almost over.  Sometimes you take the leap of faith like we did with Ebron.  If Siranni, Reich and Ballard want to pay him to be a Colt you have to believe they know what they are doing. 

Tyrell Williams would certainly be a great addition to this offense.

I like John Brown as an option. He doesn't have great size but does bring dynamic speed. He has had some injury problems which I think is why he signed a one year deal with the Ravens. He has showed some promise and I think he would be a good addition to the wide receiver group.

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

To be honest there is not much time for him to prove it.  The season is almost over.  Sometimes you take the leap of faith like we did with Ebron.  If Siranni, Reich and Ballard want to pay him to be a Colt you have to believe they know what they are doing. 

I should've been more specific in what I meant by prove it.  Simply it would be in the Colts' best interest to sign him to a 1-2 yr prove it deal before commiting long term.

44 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Draft DK Metcalf and this offense will be unstoppable.

Or A.J. Brown. Metcalf is the prototypical big X receiver. Brown is a big slot and nuanced route runner. Doesn’t have the upside of Metcalf but with Luck he’d be a beast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icf said:

This game just proves how bad the colts need to sign a FA WR and also take one early in the draft.  

It won't be a big FA though. It will be a value pickup. The draft might be where the money is. 2nd round pick and see how this unit improves over the offseason. Inman really looked good after coming on. I really like his game. Hilton, Inman, and a 2nd round promising receiver would be an automatic upgrade. Add in a solid FA pickup and see what Cain does over the offseason/training camp... it'll be upgraded, without a doubt. 

Adam Humphries is another free agent WR to keep your eye on. I'm not sure how well he fits with what Bruce Arians wants to run in Tampa. Plus Bruce wants DeSean Jackson back and they have Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Humphries will likely want to sign with a team where he can have a bigger role in the offense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Or A.J. Brown. Metcalf is the prototypical big X receiver. Brown is a big slot and nuanced route runner. Doesn’t have the upside of Metcalf but with Luck he’d be a beast.

I'm on board with drafting either of those guys AND bringing in Tyrell Williams. That would give us some long-term security assuming the WR panned out and Tyrell doesn't flame out for some reason.

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Metcalf wont last to pick 26. Brown maybe. I really like Harmon from nc state but think his stock skyrockets after workouts.

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Metcalf wont last to pick 26. Brown maybe. I really like Harmon from nc state but think his stock skyrockets after workouts.

There’s plenty of options from our first round pick to our third. Brown could be there at 26 or the pick we have from the Jets in the 2nd. There’s also Riley Ridley, underused because Georgia loves to run the ball but might be better than his brother. There’s JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Hakeem Butler if you want a big body X like Metcalf. There’s Deebo Samuel who can play in the slot and return kicks. I think there’s at least 6 starting caliber WRs that can be had from rounds 1-3 and make an immediate impact.

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s plenty of options from our first round pick to our third. Brown could be there at 26 or the pick we have from the Jets in the 2nd. There’s also Riley Ridley, underused because Georgia loves to run the ball but might be better than his brother. There’s JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Hakeem Butler if you want a big body X like Metcalf. There’s Deebo Samuel who can play in the slot and return kicks. I think there’s at least 6 starting caliber WRs that can be had from rounds 1-3 and make an immediate impact.

Well I hope we grab one early. I miss the old days when we had two reliable receivers. Seems like the better teams in the league have multiple wr that can take over games. 

Chiefs- Kelce hill watkins

chargers- Allen Gordon and a up and coming mike williams

rams- Gurley cooks woods Kupp

saints- Thomas kamara

eagles-ertz Jeffery (Nelson or Tate)

texans- Hopkins keke (they need fuller to stay healthy)

think this is one reason patriots have somewhat struggled this year. A declining Gronkowski and eldeman who’s just basically a slot guy.

Your starting to see more of your better teams have elite offense talent. 

I would really consider trading a 2nd rounder for someone like Robert woods. He’s young and would compliment T.Y. and Ebron. 

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Well I hope we grab one early. I miss the old days when we had two reliable receivers. Seems like the better teams in the league have multiple wr that can take over games. 

Chiefs- Kelce hill watkins

chargers- Allen Gordon and a up and coming mike williams

rams- Gurley cooks woods Kupp

saints- Thomas kamara

eagles-ertz Jeffery (Nelson or Tate)

texans- Hopkins keke (they need fuller to stay healthy)

think this is one reason patriots have somewhat struggled this year. A declining Gronkowski and eldeman who’s just basically a slot guy.

Your starting to see more of your better teams have elite offense talent. 

I would really consider trading a 2nd rounder for someone like Robert woods. He’s young and would compliment T.Y. and Ebron. 

That same 2nd rounder could be used on a draft pick he could be as good or better than Woods and cheaper.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:43 PM, DownHillRunner said:

I just looked at the wide receiver free agent list and I was wondering, who on this list would you give a contract to? Two names that really stand out to me are Kevin White  and Tyrell Williams. Williams is just 26 years old and is going to demand a big contract  Kevin White who is also 26, is the Bears 7th overall pick and has been lost in the shadows in Chicago.

I wouldn’t mind Ballard giving him a 1 year prove it deal just to him back on his feet to playing like he’s capable of playing. Then there’s the loaded WR draft class. What do you guys think? We need another WR to go along with Cain and TY. Chester Rodgers is a free agent and Ryan Grant is a free agent as well. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

None of them. I would say trade for Brown but that means we give up a first. I like Ballards' approach...build through the draft. But I would definitely sign Leveon Bell. It would cause teams problems. Gameplan for Bell or Luck?? Either way, opposition loses. Just my two cents...

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Easy peezy

So there won't be a wr that is tall and can catch the 50/50 balls that will reach us in the draft? From I'm reading it is "easy peezy" there will be multiple big body type recievers? Never said let's get a Julio Jones.  I said Julio type. Obviously there's not one as good as him but there is his type in the draft

15 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

So there won't be a wr that is tall and can catch the 50/50 balls that will reach us in the draft? From I'm reading it is "easy peezy" there will be multiple big body type recievers? Never said let's get a Julio Jones.  I said Julio type. Obviously there's not one as good as him but there is his type in the draft

There’s about 4 of those type of receivers in this draft. Metcalf, Butler, Harry, and Harmon. Arcega-Whiteside is also a big body who can go up and get it but he doesn’t have the speed. He’s more Marquise Colston than Julio.