Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Slow down there.... Yahoo sports has Colts 10.5 favorite ?

HOF19

Been a Colts fan since mid-sixties...…… Had some BAD.....BAD experiences with Colts games where we are a double-digit favorite against New York teams.....( one particular in 1969 vs a team who wears green and white jerseys). Colts players please...….PLEASE ignore that point spread. I recall opposing coaches telling their players on Thanksgiving when playing Lions to ignore the point spread because of a guy named Barry Sanders...….. Saquon Barkley IS Sanders equal...…. I live in NY Metro area. I have seen him live and in living color . He could can have  3   80 yard TD runs in 1 game...… Even against the 1985 Bears.....Lets be careful here...….GO COLTS !!!!!

• Like 2

Point spreads are made by those who administer the money exchange on betting, as an indicator of where they feel the betting median will begin.

They anticipate a great deal of money being bet on the Colts in this match. Considering the Giants playoff season is over, I am not surprised at all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, masterlock said:

IMO, it's premature to anoint Barkley the next coming of Sanders--too small of a sample size. But yes, he certainly looks good, and yes, the Colts have to be careful with him.  

I hope not did he suddenly become made of glass, because me personally would like to see Leonard rip his head off.. figuratively speaking of course :)

At the poker table on Saturday night, I made a proclamation that the Colts would beat DAL by 10+ points. The table, including father/son DAL fans, laughed. I doubled down and bet $20 to anyone who wanted it. Naturally, the ENTIRE table took my action. 

Probably not the smartest move...but I had a sound theory about the circumstances surrounding that game (not very significant to DAL and how they will clinch at home instead)...and how that game was sort of a reverse version of the 2014 IND/DAL game...where IND got blown out. So I was confident.

However, I am not sure about this week. I will be at the game...so I know IND will win (I am like 16-1 going back years, including playoffs)...but I don't know if I see them winning by 11. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, masterlock said:

IMO, it's premature to anoint Barkley the next coming of Sanders--too small of a sample size. But yes, he certainly looks good, and yes, the Colts have to be careful with him.  

It's kind of surprising to me that they're going to play Barkley in a game that's virtually meaningless, same for Eli & Beckham Jr. They have nothing to gain, & the Giant's coaching staff would look really bad if 1 of them sustained a severe injury.

• Like 1

Some lines had the Colts -10 against Miami, although that line moved down pretty quickly.  I said at the time that line was pretty ridiculous. The Colts won by 3, and barely.

I think this kind of line means the books don't want a lot of action on this game. I don't gamble, but for me, this would be a stay away game, with that kind of line. The Colts just got shut out two weeks ago. They aren't good enough to be -10 against anyone, IMO.

And the Giants just scored 40 points two weeks ago, on the road. And there have been a bunch of screwy outcomes in the NFL over the past couple weeks. The Giants aren't bad enough to be +10 against anyone, especially a team with the inconsistencies the Colts have shown. 

That said, I could totally see the Colts winning this game 37-13 or something like that, but I wouldn't put money on it.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's kind of surprising to me that they're going to play Barkley in a game that's virtually meaningless, same for Eli & Beckham Jr. They have nothing to gain, & the Giant's coaching staff would look really bad if 1 of them sustained a severe injury.

Agree, but them not playing their stars sends a message that they've given up, and that's not good PR, right or wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Here in NY Metro area local media suggesting that Giants head coach is SEVERLY concerned about his career win-loss record (which is not the greatest) so he desperately need wins...… Giants have already resorted to attempting fake punts and such...….. Hope Colts coaching staff aware of that...….GO COLTS !!!!!

14 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Agree, but them not playing their stars sends a message that they've given up, and that's not good PR, right or wrong. 

I definitely don't disagree with that, but just reading around the internet, a lot of folks seem to think that they pretty much threw in the towel last week. I'm particularly torn because I made it to my fantasy football championship, & Barkley's my RB1, it's quite the dilemma.

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I definitely don't disagree with that, but just reading around the internet, a lot of folks seem to think that they pretty much threw in the towel last week. I'm particularly torn because I made it to my fantasy football championship, & Barkley's my RB1, it's quite the dilemma.

I personally believe they have a chip on their shoulder. Too many Colts fans hoping for a easy opponent ……..I do no see it.

36 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I know that dilemma all too well. I have Zeke on my team...in the quarterfinals...going against my Colts.

I was hoping for a garbage time TD...with the Colts up big. Never got that TD...but I did get the Colts up big. Fortunately, I won...but that's how I approached it.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So as soon as a team is eliminated from playoff contention they should not play their star players? 

This game scares me, just because of how bad we need it. 10-6 isn’t even a guarantee to get us in the dance, but we just came off a huge win. Gotta keep that 1-0 mindset. I know the phrase “trap game” is a big no-no on this board, but I don’t feel good about this one. I do believe if we beat the Giants, we will beat the Titans, and get in. It’ll be interesting. It has been such a fun season. Can’t wait to see the continued growth.

15 minutes ago, coltsva said:

So as soon as a team is eliminated from playoff contention they should not play their star players? 

If they are pretty banged up I would question playing them, also gives you time to look at some guys who might not have gotten the snaps this season. Does not mean you don't try to win still. 

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm sure Barkley could have (or could can have if you prefer) 3 80 yard runs against the 1985 Bears... All those guys are old and slow now.

I’m trying to put my newborn son to sleep.  Can’t have me laughing hysterically like that.  :lol:

Just now, Smoke317 said:

I’m trying to put my newborn son to sleep.  Can’t have me laughing hysterically like that.  :lol:

:) Congrats on the newborn.

I had a newborn in 2006, so she was about a month old when the Colts played the Pats in the playoffs.  We, the family, are watching the game and as newborns often do she fell asleep in her mother's arms in the 2nd quarter.  As you can imagine, in the 2nd half there was quite a bit of yelling and cheering and when Jackson INTs Brady and seals the win, we are all jumping up and down yelling, etc.  The newborn... slept through the entire ordeal. :)

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

:) Congrats on the newborn.

I had a newborn in 2006, so she was about a month old when the Colts played the Pats in the playoffs.  We, the family, are watching the game and as newborns often do she fell asleep in her mother's arms in the 2nd quarter.  As you can imagine, in the 2nd half there was quite a bit of yelling and cheering and when Jackson INTs Brady and seals the win, we are all jumping up and down yelling, etc.  The newborn... slept through the entire ordeal. :)

Thanks CD.  Princess was a true Colts fan from day 1. :cheer2:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, strt182 said:

If they are pretty banged up I would question playing them, also gives you time to look at some guys who might not have gotten the snaps this season. Does not mean you don't try to win still. 

Okay, banged up I can see sitting them a game, but if relatively healthy, play them. 

7 hours ago, HOF19 said:

Been a Colts fan since mid-sixties...…… Had some BAD.....BAD experiences with Colts games where we are a double-digit favorite against New York teams.....( one particular in 1969 vs a team who wears green and white jerseys). Colts players please...….PLEASE ignore that point spread. I recall opposing coaches telling their players on Thanksgiving when playing Lions to ignore the point spread because of a guy named Barry Sanders...….. Saquon Barkley IS Sanders equal...…. I live in NY Metro area. I have seen him live and in living color . He could can have  3   80 yard TD runs in 1 game...… Even against the 1985 Bears.....Lets be careful here...….GO COLTS !!!!!

Do you really think any NFL team takes an NFL game for granted?  

Seems ridiculous to me.   

The amount of time teams put in every week preparing for these games is crazy.  

I know for a fact the coaches put in 15+ hour days.  

"Trap" games in the NFL are a myth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I know one thing, you can't take a Sunday off.  If the Colts think the Gi-ants are gonna stroll in and just lay down, then it will be the Jax road game all over again.  Bring your big boy pants on Sunday 'Shoes!

I'd bet the farm that there isn't a single player or coach that thinks that about any team.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They're getting paid to play.  

If they're healthy, they should play.

12 hours ago, shastamasta said:

At the poker table on Saturday night, I made a proclamation that the Colts would beat DAL by 10+ points. The table, including father/son DAL fans, laughed. I doubled down and bet $20 to anyone who wanted it. Naturally, the ENTIRE table took my action. 

Probably not the smartest move...but I had a sound theory about the circumstances surrounding that game (not very significant to DAL and how they will clinch at home instead)...and how that game was sort of a reverse version of the 2014 IND/DAL game...where IND got blown out. So I was confident.

However, I am not sure about this week. I will be at the game...so I know IND will win (I am like 16-1 going back years, including playoffs)...but I don't know if I see them winning by 11. 

Make another wildass bet like the Dallas game, before this weekend. If you win again, I'll be calling you and betting on your latest glimpse into the future. :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HOF19 said:

I agree we better be disciplined against him or he will have 150 yards and 3 td's by halftime.

I would prefer there be no hype for this years Colts, we are 8-6 which is good not great, we are getting 1000% percent effort and play from this 8-6 squad, we don't have the luxury of blinking, we need to stay hungry and focused each and every game......lets just go 1-0 this week.

Barkley has the makings of a phenom......but we are on the any given Sunday plan, stay focused and we are the example of the saying, lose focus and we are the poster child for why you need to heed the saying......lets just go 1-0.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Odell might not play..he missed the last 2 weeks..

NYGs don't score much...and we do at home.....that's why the spread is high.

Plus we just beat 'America's Team' :bored:

15 hours ago, HOF19 said:

Here in NY Metro area local media suggesting that Giants head coach is SEVERLY concerned about his career win-loss record (which is not the greatest) so he desperately need wins...… Giants have already resorted to attempting fake punts and such...….. Hope Colts coaching staff aware of that...….GO COLTS !!!!!

I am willing to bet that the Colts coaching staff has a better grasp of the NY Football Giants and what they may or may not attempt than the NY Metro local media.

33 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Try telling that to Washington: the Giants scored 40 points on them two weeks ago. 

Try looking at the entire season......Giants don't score much.

Giants lost 17-0 last week and they've been held to 20 or less 8 times

I would take the Colts and give you 10.5 points and you don't want it

Edited by oldunclemark

16 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Don't worry. You're good..:2c:

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Make another wildass bet like the Dallas game, before this weekend. If you win again, I'll be calling you and betting on your latest glimpse into the future. :) 

I don't have any angle for this game and that spread is not very inviting. But I would be happy to give you my picks for Week 16.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i stay away from spreads over 7.   my problem with them is garbage time points and the favorites not caring about covering

Since that first JAC game...Colts defense doesn't seem all that interested in giving up garbage points. But Barkley could easily break a 75 yard run down by 17 in the 4th quarter...and you are probably screwed on the -10.5 spread.

I would never look at Yahoo lines...Vegas had it opening Colts +9.5. Which is a much better indicator. I would not take 10.5. You are going to see people taking the Giants with 10.5 and the line will come down. Personally I think the Colts are +6 so I wouldn't take either....but I also don't bet. These games have a way of being much closer than expected. Giants will ride Barkley to keep the game close and control the LOS because they don't want to fall behind big and turn our pass rush loose. The Giants defense isn't terrible...I anticipate a good solid game. Colts by a td...as Giants score late against prevent defense to make it 7. Colts 27-20.