Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I would almost prefer the colts not make the playoffs

CR91

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Que sera...

Here’s something else to consider - As it stands today, if we end up second in our division we get the Dolphins and Ravens next year (home and away, respectively).

If we end up third we get the Bills and Bengals.  

And yet who knows if Buffalo isn't better than the Dophins next year and if Cincy gets a new coach and gets better...or at least healthier and wins. I mean people weren't worrying to lose last year so they wouldn't have to play the Jags this year. One year doesn't necessarily carry over to the next. There is much more to gain in teaching and growing for this team in winning than losing imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Just hear me out. Even if we make it and thats a big if since we're now a game and a half behind the ravens and a half game behind the dolphins since they have a better conference record not to mention we play two very good defenses in the texans and cowboys and a underrated giants team that just beat the bears, we would have to contend with an explosive chargers team, the steelers and the pats who we havent beaten in years and lets not forget the chiefs who still put up points even without hunt albeit vs the raiders. Sure making the playoffs would be a great experience for our young guys, but lets look at the bigger picture. We're looking at a middle in the round draft pick around 15-18 and this is a very very very deep draft for d-linemen, our number one need imo and I would want nothing more then to get one of them preferably Rashan Gary and with the jets continuing to pummel, a top 5 draft pick in the second round. This team imo has already past my expectations. We need to keep building to be legit contenders.

I understand you thoughts and some years I would agree.    Not this one though.   Mainly because we have an offense that could explode and that could keep us in any playoff game. 

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And yet who knows if Buffalo isn't better than the Dophins next year and if Cincy gets a new coach and gets better...or at least healthier and wins. I mean people weren't worrying to lose last year so they wouldn't have to play the Jags this year. One year doesn't necessarily carry over to the next. There is much more to gain in teaching and growing for this team in winning than losing imo.

To be clear, I wasn’t advocating losing.  Just pointing out the schedule difference depending on our finish.

Personally, I think the Browns will finish ahead of the Bengals.   

BTW, I’m for winning every game.  Who would choose otherwise, no matter what it means to the schedule or the draft?

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Just hear me out. Even if we make it and thats a big if since we're now a game and a half behind the ravens and a half game behind the dolphins since they have a better conference record not to mention we play two very good defenses in the texans and cowboys and a underrated giants team that just beat the bears, we would have to contend with an explosive chargers team, the steelers and the pats who we havent beaten in years and lets not forget the chiefs who still put up points even without hunt albeit vs the raiders. Sure making the playoffs would be a great experience for our young guys, but lets look at the bigger picture. We're looking at a middle in the round draft pick around 15-18 and this is a very very very deep draft for d-linemen, our number one need imo and I would want nothing more then to get one of them preferably Rashan Gary and with the jets continuing to pummel, a top 5 draft pick in the second round. This team imo has already past my expectations. We need to keep building to be legit contenders.

It was unreasonable to think we would be talking Playoffs...Playoffs!
7-9 looks about right now.

Most here get that we have a lot to be optimistic about.

The first thing we have to realize before answering this question is that we are living vicariously through this team. We become happy when they win, and sad when they lose, and the ultimate goal is the SB. Having said that, if we were in their position, and were truly honest with ourselves, do we really think we have a true chance at winning the SB? As a Owner, GM, Coach, and player, I'm fighting tooth and nail to get to the SB and win it because there's a chance. As a fan, I look at the strategic side of it and realize, "sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war". Losing the battle is these last 4 games in order to get better draft position to win the ultimate war, which is the SB. It's about the long term picture here. Ballard drafts great, and we want every advantage we can get. The players will fight tooth and nail this year. As a fan, we know the team isn't good enough yet, and therefore, we should want the best long term advantage now as the short term (this year), just isn't going to happen.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't root for the development of our players though and hope they can get even better the last few weeks. We should just root for close losses, get another FA and draft class together, and go for it next year. Just too many holes right now, and even the run game and O-Line has been exposed. We taste like chicken to the top teams right now. Our year is next year. The players will go for it until they can't anymore, but the fans should root for close losses and player development as our jobs aren't on the line and we want what's best for the future of this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I understand you thoughts and some years I would agree.    Not this one though.   Mainly because we have an offense that could explode and that could keep us in any playoff game. 

Thanks to all of our good receivers that Homers here are B_______ about.
Well, minus our middling #2 TE.

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Honestly the way we were playing before I felt we could've made it to the divisional game and been in the 1st half of a game between the Pats/Chiefs...

Yip, like when Andrew did it before when we faced a Decimated Bengals and beat them, and beating Peyton with his mysterious leg injury and couldn't complete a pass beyond 10 yards. Ya, like that time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

no the whole point of the game is to win. Anything can happen once you make the playoffs. To give up for a better position in the draft is ludicrous. The talent difference between the 10th and 30th pick is so small anyways and by no means is any pick a home run.

Nailed it

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

all it takes is a handful of serious injuries, arrests, and returns for senior year to turn a great position to just a good or average.  Add to that the fact there are plenty of guys who are way overhyped who end up not holding up to scrutiny, some really bad combines and voila, 6 DL projected in the top 20 now becomes 3.  

This stuff happens every year, and you can never predict to what extent it will happen.  You play to win today because that's the only thing that's really somewhat under your control.  What if the 2019 class ended up being like the 2013 class?  All that losing for what? 

If 2019 ends up being like 2013...the Colts are good shape. They will be picking in the #18-28 range...and there were 6 Pro Bowlers taken in that range in 2013.

I do get what you are saying though. And 2013 is actually a pretty good example of hyped DE classes. But I think this upcoming draft is can't miss across the DL. There are just too many different types of DEs and DTs. That's not to say the Colts will get one...but I do think there will be a handful of them that come out of this class.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yip, like when Andrew did it before when we faced a Decimated Bengals and beat them, and beating Peyton with his mysterious leg injury and couldn't complete a pass beyond 10 yards. Ya, like that time.

Haha...yeah that "magical" run in 2014 was a lot of smoke and mirrors...but it was also a lot of fun. Sometimes you gotta get luicky.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I can respect that

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Haha...yeah that "magical" run in 2014 was a lot of smoke and mirrors...but it was also a lot of fun. Sometimes you gotta get luicky.

We were the 2nd best team in the AFC that season even over the Broncos and Ravens because we just matched up well against those teams. The Smoke was a Great Patriots team that was one of the best ever. 

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We were the 2nd best team in the AFC that season even over the Broncos and Ravens because we just matched up well against those teams. The Smoke was a Great Patriots team that was one of the best ever. 

I don't think so. DEN had beaten the Colts in Week 1...and they were a top 5 defense and a top 7 offense...and 8-0 at home. Manning being hurt was a big factor in that game.

The #3 seed that year was PIT...who crushed the Colts earlier that season.

So I think the playoff seeds that year fit the team rankings.

The Colts did own CIN earlier in the season and that was a great matchup for them. But CIN was also missing AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert and Jermaine Gresham. I think they win that game anyways...but there it could have a much different outcome.

After winning that game, instead of heading to a showdown with NE...BAL pulled off the upset on the road in PITT and the Colts got to face DEN  (and an injured Manning).

Like I said...sometimes you neeed a little luck. Nothing wrong with that.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I don't think so. DEN had beaten the Colts in Week 1...and they were a top 5 defense and a top 7 offense...and 8-0 at home. Manning being hurt was a big factor in that game.

The #3 seed that year was PIT...who crushed the Colts earlier that season.

The Colts did own CIN earlier in the and that was a great matchup for them. But CIN was also missing AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert and Jermaine Gresham. I think they win that game anyways...but it would have been much more difficult.

After winning that game, instead of heading to a showdown with NE...BAL pulled off the upset on the road in PITT and the Colts got to face DEN  (and an injured Manning).

Like I said...sometimes you neeed a little luck. Nothing wrong with that.

I get what you are saying but I do not like to take away from that run we had and many do in here. Not fair to what we did in 2014, JMO. Manning wasn't 100% but still played and actually looked sharp early putting Denver up 7-0. Denver's Defense was completely healthy and so was Von Miller and they were at home, so to me it was a legit huge win. Best of Luck's career IMO. We were 8 point underdogs and nobody thought we had a chance to win even with Manning not at 100%.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get what you are saying but I do not like to take away from that run we had and many do in here. Not fair to what we did in 2014, JMO. Manning wasn't 100% but still played and actually looked sharp early putting Denver up 7-0. Denver's Defense was completely healthy and so was Von Miller and they were at home, so to me it was a legit huge win. Best of Luck's career IMO. We were 8 point underdogs and nobody thought we had a chance to win even with Manning not at 100%.

Oh definitely...not meaning to take anything away from it. "Smoke an mirrors" was not the right term.

You still have to play (and win) the games. After all, Manning won the Super Bowl throwing ducks all over the field with that same team the following season. So it was definitely a great win to beat that team.

I think where the luck factor was evident was moreso in the draw. Getting a mostly-depleted CIN team instead of a dangerous BAL team (the better of the two WC teams). And then having that BAL team knock off PIT on the road so the Colts didn't have to face NE.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Oh definitely...not meaning to take anything away from it. "Smoke an mirrors" was not the right term.

You still have to play (and win) the games. After all, Manning won the Super Bowl throwing ducks all over the field with that same team the following season. So it was definitely a great win to beat that team.

I think where the luck factor was moreso evident in the draw. Getting a mostly-depleted CIN team instead of a dangerous BAL team. And then having that BAL team knock off PIT on the road so the Colts didn't have to face NE.

Yeah knocking off Pitt would've been real tough, you have a great point there. Luck beat the Ravens in 2013 and for some reason we matched up well with them. Against the Broncos, Ravens, Bengals, and Chiefs, Luck usually played Great in 2013 and 2014. Against the Pats and Steelers not so much.

21 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Anything can happen once you make the playoffs.

I don't understand how anybody can think otherwise - do these people never watch playoff football like ever?  Do I even need to LIST the 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7 teams who made noise in the playoffs and even won Super Bowls?  Seriously?

"We won't make any noise in the playoffs anyway" ---sheesh.  You people aren't real sports fans, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's true.  Check yourselves, seriously.

On 12/5/2018 at 12:34 PM, Flash7 said:

We started off 1-5 with an unhealthy O-line. The O-line got healthy and we won 5 games in a row, averaging nearly 30-points per game in that span. R. Kelly got injured and we lost to a team with a very good D-line.

IF we make the playoffs, hopefully we will have a healthy O-line, and then anything can happen. When Luck has time, he's among the best in the league and the Colts always have a chance.

Luck is the best in the league even without time

On 12/5/2018 at 12:10 PM, CR91 said:

Thank you. Although I believe in CB, having a top 15 pick is gold. Instead of bottom 15. Not to mention as it stands, 2 second round picks.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This not wanting to make the playoffs because of a draft pick is horse dung.

GMs like Belichick and Ballard prove it's not where you pick, it's who you pick.  There is talent all over the draft and a GM and their scouting dept. just needs to find it.

I agree, why would anyone not want to make the Playoffs so they pick 15th possibly over 21st? That is a losers mentality, not making the Playoffs will suck. We are a team on the rise and making the Playoffs would be a great learning experience for our rookies as well. We have a competent GM now so I don't care where we pick, this isn't the Grigson era anymore. "You play to win the game" - HERM.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I don't understand how anybody can think otherwise - do these people never watch playoff football like ever?  Do I even need to LIST the 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7 teams who made noise in the playoffs and even won Super Bowls?  Seriously?

"We won't make any noise in the playoffs anyway" ---sheesh.  You people aren't real sports fans, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's true.  Check yourselves, seriously.

You think TY is better than Marvin.   I think it's you who needs to check himself.      Seriously

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, why would anyone not want to make the Playoffs so they pick 15th possibly over 21st? That is a losers mentality, not making the Playoffs will suck. We are a team on the rise and making the Playoffs would be a great learning experience for our rookies as well. We have a competent GM now so I don't care where we pick, this isn't the Grigson era anymore. "You play to win the game" - HERM.

The Colts have already opened some eyes with winning 6-games. Most of the media thought we would be lucky to win 2-3 games. If they could get into the playoffs not only would it be good for the players it would be great for the fans. Some say we wouldn't do much if we do make the playoffs but you never know. You sure cant do anything without getting into the playoffs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

In 1995 we were 9-7 and 1 pass away from making the SB with Jim Harbaugh at QB. One of the best seasons in Colts history. 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In 1995 we were 9-7 and 1 pass away from making the SB with Jim Harbaugh at QB. One of the best seasons in Colts history. 

Had the refs thrown the flag on Kordell Stewart for going out of the end zone and then coming back in, that game may have went a different way too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Had the refs thrown the flag on Kordell Stewart for going out of the end zone and then coming back in, that game may have went a different way too.

I still believe we were the better team but spittle Cowher had the REFS in his back pocket and the league wanted Cowboys/Steelers for many reasons. I hate the Steelers because in most of their Playoff runs they have had REF help - see 1995 vs us and 2005 vs Seattle anyway. Both of those were so obvious. 

From a team culture standpoint, you want the Colts to be competitive and win as many games as possible. They can build on that. 

From a talent point of view, we have holes all over the roster despite the perceived completeness the team appeared to be over their winning streak. We were an overachieving team. The Jags knocked us down and reminded how much of a need WR and Oline still is. Defense played well but Jags just displayed how inept they are on offense, so really not something we can hang our hat on. We still need an upgrade at Dline and DB not to mention depth across every position. 

Agree there is talent across the draft, but it always helps to draft higher. We are still a year or two out to being a consistently competitive team. While I hope we win out, I also hope that we are able to get top talent in the draft. I would prefer to win and build the culture but I think we are going to continue to struggle through the last quarter of the year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dasteez said:

From a team culture standpoint, you want the Colts to be competitive and win as many games as possible. They can build on that. 

From a talent point of view, we have holes all over the roster despite the perceived completeness the team appeared to be over their winning streak. We were an overachieving team. The Jags knocked us down and reminded how much of a need WR and Oline still is. Defense played well but Jags just displayed how inept they are on offense, so really not something we can hang our hat on. We still need an upgrade at Dline and DB not to mention depth across every position. 

Agree there is talent across the draft, but it always helps to draft higher. We are still a year or two out to being a consistently competitive team. While I hope we win out, I also hope that we are able to get top talent in the draft. I would prefer to win and build the culture but I think we are going to continue to struggle through the last quarter of the year. 

Belichick and Ballard (when he was at Kansas City) shows you it makes no difference where you pick in the draft. Having a higher draft pick does not automatically mean you get better players. The draft order has little to do with winning or losing.

Ballard proved that this last draft.

Yes, I agree we still need a few pieces  but like I have always said, it's not where you pick it's who you pick.