Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Last Years Draft

Moosejawcolt

4 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

Didn't Ballard draft players that fit Pagano's schemes? How much time did Ballard really have to scout when he took over in Indy? 

This. Remember he didn’t have his own scouts in place yet either. But if you look at the two drafts, it’s clear to see the difference.

Hooker, Mack, and Walker are the only 3 that were flexible. He drafted Quincy Wilson; a tall press corner. Grover Stewart, who’s a big NT. Nate Hairston who was a great man corner as a rookie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Hooker - starter, coming of ACL injury

Wilson - subs in, definitely needs work

Basham - gone

Banner - gone

Mack - starter, good one at that

Hairston - starter, like him in the slot

Walker - starter, like him in coverage, the 2pt run would’ve been such an awesome play if not for the penalty

Thats success people. Those are 4 starters out of 8 players (may be missing one, lol). Let’s wait a few more years to really judge this

Quit making sense. It don't fit the negative narrative that some want to wallow in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

The thing I wish we saw more from last year’s players is consistency. Lots of players have flashed but  haven’t shown consistency. I don’t know if any of them will be on the roster in 4 years. Hooker doesn’t look like he did pre-injury and that scares me. 

Hard for hooker to make an impact when opposing quarterbacks don't have to throw the ball more than 8 yards.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

In 2017, Ballard was using Grigson's scouts, Grigson's board, and many other things that relate to Grigson, so he wasn't at fault for a large chunk of the issue. Sure, it could have been better, but he was coming to the team after the entire draft process of scouting had been complete, and was forced to use many of those reports.

Not really. Many of the players last year and this year were scouted by guys that have been with the Colts. What changed was the layer between those Ballard and the scouts...and the coaching staff.

Definitely impacts things...but let’s be honest...Ballard isn’t drafting a player he doesn’t like (especially in his first draft)...so he’s still accountable for those picks. I am sure he would say the same thing.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I wouldn't mind getting a 1st or 2nd round pick for Hooker at this point. I think it's possible he's damaged goods now. If we can trade him off, and sign Landon Collins, there won't be much of a drop off at all, and we can possibly draft another S to go with Collins.

Of course you wouldn't mind.    Problem is,  it wouldn't happen.

What has Hooker done to warrent trading a 1st or a 2nd round pick?      Not nearly enough.

Right now,  we'd be lucky to get more than a 4.

Hooker isn't going anywhere...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Lol at the people acting like hooker is a scrub you people crack me the hell up 

I didn’t say he was a scrub but he certainly isn’t playing at the same level he was last season and if you can’t come to terms with that part, there is no further debating the issue. I am not one who wants to see him traded or cut but I’m being realistic that I’m just hoping he can regain that playmaker status he brought last season in a short sample size. If he does, we have a very nice piece in the backfield. If he plays near this years level next year, we are going to have to look into an alternative player at that spot because this team can’t wait. At his current level of play plus the injury concern, if we were to try and trade him at this moment, he wouldn’t fetch much in return imho. 

• Like 1

I think looking at Ballard's 2017 draft and making assertions about it is revisionist history (in my opinion) . He was hired in late in the process and was using Grigson's staff, and evaluation process. Does anyone remember the changes Ballard implemented and personnel changes he made AFTER that draft had concluded? Ultimately, it falls on him as some may argue he should have done it differently, and that is fair, but it wasn't set up from the get go to his process when he walked in the door so you have to keep that in mind. Some of the players may or may not have been Pagano's or what we run today, I think at that point that was the least of Ballard's concerns about the situation but judging by the changes he made post draft spoke to what he thought of the evaluation process and personnel.

So for me, yeah 2017 was on Ballard, but I don't judge it as critically as I have judged 2018 and what is to come......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Only reason I think he may hit FA is because the Giants are in full rebuild mode, and he was up for trade before. It's probably 50/50 at this point, but possible. They would get a compensatory 3rd rounder for releasing him, so that makes it possible as well. In that scenario, we'd have the best chance of signing him with our cap space. Of course, the optimal scenario would be to have Hooker and Collins. Just don't know Hooker's health as of now. He may need til next season to fully recover.

Word is the Giants will franchise tag Collins..... Sorry to be the barrier of POTENTIALLY bad news:(

Hooker had an ACL injury. He is exactly a year from surgery. A year plus is total recovery time from 75% of those surgeries. He rushed back it seems to me but will be back to his old self next year. A freak like Adrian Peterson tainted everyone's expectations of recovery time from these ACL injuries.

Side note... Andrew Luck is playing well but give him a full off season of workout and not worrying about his shoulder.... GONNA BE A RECORD SETTER in 2019. MVP to go with this years COMEBACK PLAYER of the YEAR:thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

The thing I wish we saw more from last year’s players is consistency. Lots of players have flashed but  haven’t shown consistency. I don’t know if any of them will be on the roster in 4 years. Hooker doesn’t look like he did pre-injury and that scares me. 

hooker I think is having a similar 2nd year to Kelly. He hasn’t had a single game all year where he wasn’t on the injury report but he keeps playing through the pain. I say give him until  next year  to make a real opinion on him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Hooker - starter, coming of ACL injury

Wilson - subs in, definitely needs work

Basham - gone

Banner - gone

Mack - starter, good one at that

Hairston - starter, like him in the slot

Walker - starter, like him in coverage, the 2pt run would’ve been such an awesome play if not for the penalty

Thats success people. Those are 4 starters out of 8 players (may be missing one, lol). Let’s wait a few more years to really judge this

wilson and hairston have stunk this year, needs work is the under statement of the day.  neither looks like a good fit for zone coverage

mack and walker are decent but inconsistent.   both would be backups on good teams imo

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The 2017 Draft WAS NOT GOOD.

Not good compared to what?  You need some perspective.  Go back and look at that draft.  The Saints had the best draft (OROY and DROY), and even they didn't keep all of their draft picks.  Every single team only hit on about 50% of their picks, which is the norm pretty much every year except 2013.

Compared to every team except the Saints and maybe the Steelers, the Colts draft was GOOD.  Unless, of course, you're expecting Ballard to hit on EVERY pick EVERY round, which is unreasonable. 

Unless you're picking 1st in every round and have a roster so bad that ANY pick is a keeper... is that what you want?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

It's okay saying that players like Wilson, Hairston and Walker are starters or contributing in terms of snaps but they're only starting because the defense is so bad!

I'm not even sure any of those 3 get playing time on any 0.500+ team in the whole NFL.

I think Walker is a decent starter, and he'll be starting for us down the road unless we take an ILB like Edwards or Hodge on day 2 of the draft. Wilson and Hairston I 100% agree. As soon as we draft a CB or two and sign another in FA, they will be nothing more than depth pieces.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

wilson and hairston have stunk this year, needs work is the under statement of the day.  neither looks like a good fit for zone coverage

mack and walker are decent but inconsistent.   both would be backups on good teams imo

They could also start on most teams. The only teams I can’t see Mack starting on for example is teams with early round RBs, like Barkley, Elliot, Gordon, Gurley, etc. They’re young, and  Walker has only gotten better imo. Mack as well. I think their ceiling is higher yet, and that’s something I think we both hope for

Walker has played well enough and is young enough that he's at least intriguing. I think we can safely assume he'll continue to get better.

Could we upgrade the Mike? Sure

Are there way bigger short term/long term holes in our defense? Yes, there are.

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I didn’t say he was a scrub but he certainly isn’t playing at the same level he was last season and if you can’t come to terms with that part, there is no further debating the issue. I am not one who wants to see him traded or cut but I’m being realistic that I’m just hoping he can regain that playmaker status he brought last season in a short sample size. If he does, we have a very nice piece in the backfield. If he plays near this years level next year, we are going to have to look into an alternative player at that spot because this team can’t wait. At his current level of play plus the injury concern, if we were to try and trade him at this moment, he wouldn’t fetch much in return imho. 

Lmao you do realize QBs are avoiding him right and hes also not looking as good as you want because teams dont throw deep on us cause they can destroy us with a short lasting game Hooker has been fine making QBs avoid him means hes doing his job 

4 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

If 2017 was a bad draft (maybe) and 2018 makes Ballard look like a genius (probably) then we are right down the middle. Year 3 will be crucial

I think 2019 will be a bit worse than the 2018 draft, but better than 2017 by a decent amount. With Ballard having his scouts and drafting his way, he should be pretty accurate on his picks if last year taught us anything.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Not good compared to what?  You need some perspective.  Go back and look at that draft.  The Saints had the best draft (OROY and DROY), and even they didn't keep all of their draft picks.  Every single team only hit on about 50% of their picks, which is the norm pretty much every year except 2013.

Compared to every team except the Saints and maybe the Steelers, the Colts draft was GOOD.  Unless, of course, you're expecting Ballard to hit on EVERY pick EVERY round, which is unreasonable. 

Unless you're picking 1st in every round and have a roster so bad that ANY pick is a keeper... is that what you want?

So far Hooker, a 15th overall pick, is not giving the production you would like for a player drafted that high. Injuries of course not helped. He missed the entire 2nd half of season last year and has been nicked up and not so productive so far this season. We hope he can get and stay healthy and at least be a decent, consistent starter going forward. But I'm sure his durability AND availability going forward has many colt fans worried.

Quincy so far has not been good. His future with team is questionable.

Bashaam was cut.

Banner was cut.

Mack is a major talent. Only questions on him is durability/availability.

Hairston is a decent nickel corner on a team that is lacking in secondary talent. Certainly not a "core" player that we hear so much about building through the draft.

Walker is still pretty much unknown going forward. Some good play earlier but reports on here lately not as good. He too, like Hairston a player on a weak unit. 

In summary Mack may be the only player that can be above average. The book is still out on Hooker. Everyone else looks like they will only be 'just another guy' or Ballard will move on from them.

Anyway thats my opinion. If you truly like/excited by the '17 draft class thats fine.

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Lmao you do realize QBs are avoiding him right and hes also not looking as good as you want because teams dont throw deep on us cause they can destroy us with a short lasting game Hooker has been fine making QBs avoid him means hes doing his job 

My lord dude, are you dating this guy or just his number one fan? If you see anywhere in my posts that I’ve called this player a bust, please refresh my memory. He is not making the difference in plays of a #15 pick but again, he has been injured and don’t think he has been 100% or maybe even not #80% I’m hoping he is 100% going into next year and have some extra talent around him. 

12 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

My lord dude, are you dating this guy or just his number one fan? If you see anywhere in my posts that I’ve called this player a bust, please refresh my memory. He is not making the difference in plays of a #15 pick but again, he has been injured and don’t think he has been 100% or maybe even not #80% I’m hoping he is 100% going into next year and have some extra talent around him. 

Lol to the Bolded haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Trueman said:

Personally, I like this draft:

2013:

DE-Bjorn Werner
G-Hugh Thornton
C-Khaled Holmes
DT-Montori Hughes
S-Josh Boyett
RB-Kerwynn Williams
TE-Justice Cunningham

Good stuff right there. Way better than the disastrous 2017 draft by silly Ballard.

John Boyett's wiki:

On September 3, 2013, he was released by the Colts after being arrested the day prior for disorderly conduct, public intoxication and resisting law enforcement.[3]Boyett tried to enter a bar and was turned away for being already intoxicated. After refusing to leave, the police were called and he reportedly threatened officers and said "You can’t arrest me, I’m a Colts player" after attempting to flee.[4

Boyett was signed to the Denver Broncos' practice squad on November 19, 2013.[5] He was released by the Broncos on October 23, 2014, following an arrest for third degree assault, theft, and harassment.[6][7] After headbutting a cab driver, Boyett reportedly stole a shovel from a nearby construction site and attempted to cover himself in mulch. After being found, he demanded the officers call John Elway before repeatedly hitting his head against a patrol car window while yelling and spitting.[6][8]

21 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I know Ballard has been given high marks for this year's draft.  That being said how would you  evaluate last year's draft? Although the 2018 draft is  looking very good, am  I being to critical by stating the 2017 is looking like it could be a bust?

Influenced by the past and i will let you know at the appropriate time. Wonk wonk

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Sorry for calling out your stupidity lol I have no idea where you and others are getting the hes not playing like a 15th pick crap! the dude is going to miss his second game this year not bad at all and on top of that he is being avoided by all QBs we have played so hes doing his job.  The D is weak in the middle so we are attacked there not Hookers fault and lastly I know you and everyone else thinks he should be an INT machine but that won't happen when the QBs are avoiding throwing his direction. He's doing just fine after coming back from an ACL tear and being a 2nd year player. Most of you have too high of expectations like you do with everyone we sign or draft end of story.

38 minutes ago, #12. said:

John Boyett's wiki:

On September 3, 2013, he was released by the Colts after being arrested the day prior for disorderly conduct, public intoxication and resisting law enforcement.[3]Boyett tried to enter a bar and was turned away for being already intoxicated. After refusing to leave, the police were called and he reportedly threatened officers and said "You can’t arrest me, I’m a Colts player" after attempting to flee.[4

Boyett was signed to the Denver Broncos' practice squad on November 19, 2013.[5] He was released by the Broncos on October 23, 2014, following an arrest for third degree assault, theft, and harassment.[6][7] After headbutting a cab driver, Boyett reportedly stole a shovel from a nearby construction site and attempted to cover himself in mulch. After being found, he demanded the officers call John Elway before repeatedly hitting his head against a patrol car window while yelling and spitting.[6][8]

That’s really just sad.  I hope he stopped drinking.  

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That’s really just sad.  I hope he stopped drinking.  

What gave you the idea he had a problem? 

Stealing a shovel and covering yourself with mulch?  Works every time...  in a cartoon.   Lol

19 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Sorry for calling out your stupidity lol I have no idea where you and others are getting the hes not playing like a 15th pick crap! the dude is going to miss his second game this year not bad at all and on top of that he is being avoided by all QBs we have played so hes doing his job.  The D is weak in the middle so we are attacked there not Hookers fault and lastly I know you and everyone else thinks he should be an INT machine but that won't happen when the QBs are avoiding throwing his direction. He's doing just fine after coming back from an ACL tear and being a 2nd year player. Most of you have too high of expectations like you do with everyone we sign or draft end of story.

Lol. Well I’m not sorry for pointing out your bromance with Hooker since you are littered all over the forum defending your man. :heart:

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So far Hooker, a 15th overall pick, is not giving the production you would like for a player drafted that high. Injuries of course not helped. He missed the entire 2nd half of season last year and has been nicked up and not so productive so far this season. We hope he can get and stay healthy and at least be a decent, consistent starter going forward. But I'm sure his durability AND availability going forward has many colt fans worried.

Quincy so far has not been good. His future with team is questionable.

Bashaam was cut.

Banner was cut.

Mack is a major talent. Only questions on him is durability/availability.

Hairston is a decent nickel corner on a team that is lacking in secondary talent. Certainly not a "core" player that we hear so much about building through the draft.

Walker is still pretty much unknown going forward. Some good play earlier but reports on here lately not as good. He too, like Hairston a player on a weak unit. 

In summary Mack may be the only player that can be above average. The book is still out on Hooker. Everyone else looks like they will only be 'just another guy' or Ballard will move on from them.

Anyway thats my opinion. If you truly like/excited by the '17 draft class thats fine.

I also wonder why Hooker isn't a little closer to more passes and breaking on the ball with deflections and hard hits. But this far into the season i have to believe his coaches have him playing at the depths they want. That is THEIR JOB.
 For those that watch every play of his and attempt to grade him on doing his job each play,

he is the 5th rated safety currently. Go figure.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I also wonder why Hooker isn't a little closer to more passes and breaking on the ball with deflections and hard hits. But this far into the season i have to believe his coaches have him playing at the depths they want. That is THEIR JOB.
 For those that watch every play of his and attempt to grade him on doing his job each play,

he is the 5th rated safety currently. Go figure.

Get that logic out of here lol cant you see hes not good enough to be worthy of that 15th pick!! :sarcasm:

10 hours ago, dodsworth said:

We saw last draft what Ballard can do with his hand

picked scouts. The first draft was with Grigson's and 

a short transition period to being the new GM.

If his third draft is similar to his first then we

have some major questions to ask.

Those hand picked scouts you are talking about were with the Colts long before Ballard was hired. He made a couple of changes to positions in charge of the scouts but some of those scouts have been with the Colts for over 15 years.

If you would have done a little research you would have known that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Introspect said:

Word is the Giants will franchise tag Collins..... Sorry to be the barrier of POTENTIALLY bad news:(

I beleive they will franchise him. If they didn't want him they would have traded him when they had offers. Plus I  am not really high on him.  A liability in pass coverage