Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 PFF Colts grades vs Jags

stitches

Muhammad is definitely a pleasant surprise. He's flashed a few times this year. Pretty good for a scrap head guy.

Off topic...I am still * Moncrief scored and did his lame celebration. That was his super bowl yesterday. 

Guy had like 90 yards...80 on one catch. Still burns me I don't know why.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Calmack said:

How did Leonard grade so well? Not trying to knock him but it seemed like every short pass Bortles threw was completed for nice YAC, especially the 122,421 screens they ran. That surely lowers our LBers grades no? 

I was somewhat surprised by that also.  I would have to take the time to go back and look at his play specifically to comment accurately.

Another reason to not like PFF.  Grover Stewart should be on any Colts top 5 list from yesterday.  He played a whale of a game and is a big reason why Fournette had 11 carries for 15 yards in the 2nd half.

Also, I thought Leonard had an ok game, but I thought Walker outplayed him yesterday.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ebron criminally underrated 

Wilkins got 50+ yards on one run.......better sit him! (still blows my mind he only got 5 snaps, and that the Colts didn't try some more runs outside the tackles instead of running at Campbell) 

We play them again in a few weeks.  Might be trying to hold some things back.  Just as they made adjustments in the 2nd half, they will surely make more for the rematch.  Can't show em our full hand.  I expect we'll try Mack on more of those outside runs next game.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Another reason to not like PFF.  Grover Stewart should be on any Colts top 5 list from yesterday.  He played a whale of a game and is a big reason why Fournette had 11 carries for 15 yards in the 2nd half.

Also, I thought Leonard had an ok game, but I thought Walker outplayed him yesterday.

Great point about Stewart! I was thinking the same thing yesterday

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

A little off topic, considering how bad the defense plays (and they’re below average), we do have a pretty solid set of blue collar guys.  Something to build on.  

But with the defensive scheme and lack of talent, the offense has to be near perfect to stay in games.  

We’ll see a very good team with a good QB on Sunday.   It’s a real barometer.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Calmack said:

How did Leonard grade so well? Not trying to knock him but it seemed like every short pass Bortles threw was completed for nice YAC, especially the 122,421 screens they ran. That surely lowers our LBers grades no? 

Agree...it doesn't make much sense. This is where PFF loses me. They start getting very biased it seems.

Last week they also graded Leonard very highly against OAK...and that was not a good day for anyone on the defense overall. But he did have the FF at the end of that game...which would somewhat explain it.

But in this game, Leonard was largely invisibile the whole 2nd half while JAC was nickel and diming the Colts to death with dump offs...and didn't really make any big plays in this game. And Walker didn't look very good either...yet he also got a solid grade.

The run defense was quite solid...but given the overall defensive performance, it's hard to imagine anyone breaking 80.

12 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ebron criminally underrated 

Wilkins got 50+ yards on one run.......better sit him! (still blows my mind he only got 5 snaps, and that the Colts didn't try some more runs outside the tackles instead of running at Campbell) 

That was very odd. 53 yard run and then no more chances. I’m like wth? 

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Agree...it doesn't make much sense. This is where PFF loses me. They start getting very biased it seems.

Last week they also graded Leonard very highly against OAK...and that was not a good day for anyone on the defense overall. But he did have the FF at the end of that game...which would somewhat explain it.

But in this game, Leonard was largely invisibile the whole 2nd half while JAC was nickel and diming the Colts to death with dump offs...and didn't really make any big plays in this game. And Walker didn't look very good either...yet he also got a solid grade.

The run defense was quite solid...but given the overall defensive performance, it's hard to imagine anyone breaking 80.

I don't subscribe to PFF but I follow them on Twitter and for the first 4-5 games Leonard came up as the 5th or 6th best rookie LB on their ratings the same thing happened each week. Commentors would say "how is he so low leading in tackles, sacks, ff, etc, etc.". PFF would say "he's a liability in coverage" and graded him 15-20 points below LVE who was #1.

That is the #1 reason I don't value their ratings as a true measure of on the field merit. The heat from everyone in the league was building, Leonard wins defensive rookie of the week/month and strangely he's now the #1 rated rookie this season.  So strange hes now #1 (and mathematically improbable) when we all know Leonard cant cover (sarcasm font)  and LVE has been playing great too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shastamasta said:

And somehow Grover Stewart doesn't get a top grade. He only played ~30% of the snaps...and he made some big plays. 

I would not have guessed he only played 30% of the defensive snaps.  Even when he was not making the play, he was influencing the line of scrimmage.  It was a really good showing for him and I think that is the first time we, as fans, have been able to say that.

20 hours ago, Calmack said:

Just wondering, have you read PFF explanation on how they grade every player for every play?

I notice Jalen Ramsey has a rigged 69.3 grade for the season.

5 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I don't subscribe to PFF but I follow them on Twitter and for the first 4-5 games Leonard came up as the 5th or 6th best rookie LB on their ratings the same thing happened each week. Commentors would say "how is he so low leading in tackles, sacks, ff, etc, etc.". PFF would say "he's a liability in coverage" and graded him 15-20 points below LVE who was #1.

That is the #1 reason I don't value their ratings as a true measure of on the field merit. The heat from everyone in the league was building, Leonard wins defensive rookie of the week/month and strangely he's now the #1 rated rookie this season.  So strange hes now #1 (and mathematically improbable) when we all know Leonard cant cover (sarcasm font)  and LVE has been playing great too. 

I could under the pass coverage criticism to a degree...and he will still continue to improve in that area. But he should have been graded much higher. And now I can't understand how his grade continues to go up when the defense overall has not been playing nearly as well (everyone included). 

And I mean no offense to Leonard...he is absolutely been one of the best rookies (and best LBs) in the NFL this season...but the grading is strange.

For example, this past week, LVE has 13 solo tackles, 1 INT, 1 TFL (a huge play on a 3rd and 2 on the final drive) and 1 PD against the PHI offense....a completely dominant performance...yet somehow he gets a 71.8 grade (even he wasn't responsible for very much of Ertz' production). That's a respectable grade...but not close to representative of his on-field performance.

Meanwhile, Leonard has 6 solo tackles and a 1.5 TFL against the JAC offense that nickel and dimed the Colts to death with dump offs...and grades an 82.3 for the game. Leonard did'nt play bad...but that grade seems quite generous.

If anything, I feel like those two grades should be switched. I get what PFF is trying to do...but it's inexplicable examples like this that lose me. And it leads me to think there is bias involved.

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just wondering, have you read PFF explanation on how they grade every player for every play?

I notice Jalen Ramsey has a rigged 69.3 grade for the season.

I haven't. Would it explain the generous grade for Leonard? 

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

that worked because they bit hard on the fake handoff. i still think mack and hines should be getting the carries

Bit hard or not, I think it was worth giving him another 2-3 attempts during the game. I agree with you that Mack and Hines should be the main runners though. I just found it odd he had a big play and then never seen again. Heck, maybe he hurt himself. We don’t find out these things until Wednesday that oh, that guy was injured and lost a leg but will be day to day lol. 

On 11/12/2018 at 1:48 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

What do you have on Stewart? I didn’t really get to watch him throughout the game bc tbh I wasn’t looking for him. What made him stand out this game? I am glad to hear it though bc it’s yet another draft pick contributing

7 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

What do you have on Stewart? I didn’t really get to watch him throughout the game bc tbh I wasn’t looking for him. What made him stand out this game? I am glad to hear it though bc it’s yet another draft pick contributing

He just played his gap assignment really well... He would get in his gap and not be moved but then he did a good job of coming off his blocker to either make the tackle or force the RB to go somewhere else.

In the passing game, he didn't push the pocket a lot but he did push it enough so Bortles did not have a good pocket to step up into and no lanes to escape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He just played his gap assignment really well... He would get in his gap and not be moved but then he did a good job of coming off his blocker to either make the tackle or force the RB to go somewhere else.

In the passing game, he didn't push the pocket a lot but he did push it enough so Bortles did not have a good pocket to step up into and no lanes to escape.

If Hunt's knee isn't improving seems he needs less snaps or a week off.

I sure would like to see Ridgeway get some PT.    lol