Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking our playmakers off the fields..

bsteves

Is anyone else annoyed that the coaching staff has practice squad players like Mo Allie Cox and Chester Rodgers in the game?

I know everyone has been riding the Mo train the past couple weeks but the dude has like two catches prior to this game. He is a practice squad player and if you ask me the first grab he had on the TD was not a catch. You don't take Eric Ebron who has been torching the opposing defense out for Mo Allie Cox. Seriously, Ebron was MIA for most of the 2nd half.

Then you have Chester Rodgers in the game when we just signed Inman and Grant is back healthy. Not that he messed up this game but seriously who is confident when he is in the game? The dude has so many critical drops this year.

This game was so important to our season. I just want our sure fire guys out on the field when it matters most.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bsteves said:

Is anyone else annoyed that the coaching staff has practice squad players like Mo Allie Cox and Chester Rodgers in the game?

I know everyone has been riding the Mo train the past couple weeks but the dude has like two catches prior to this game. He is a practice squad player and if you ask me the first grab he had on the TD was not a catch. You don't take Eric Ebron who has been torching the opposing defense out for Mo Allie Cox. Seriously, Ebron was MIA for most of the 2nd half.

Then you have Chester Rodgers in the game when we just signed Inman and Grant is back healthy. Not that he messed up this game but seriously who is confident when he is in the game? The dude has so many critical drops this year.

This game was so important to our season. I just want our sure fire guys out on the field when it matters most.

Who else do you suggest they put in for Rogers? Except for T.Y. the rest are scrubs. Only three TEs suited up, so Ebron had to occasionally get a breather.

Just now, MPStack said:

Who else do you suggest they put in for Rogers? Except for T.Y. the rest are scrubs. Only three TEs suited up, so Ebron had to occasionally get a breather.

Uhhh Inman and Grant?  And Ebron did not need a breather coming out of the 2nd half, wdym?

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Uhhh Inman and Grant what?????? So, up by 13 starting the 2nd half was critical for Ebron to start? No, it wasn't!

Uhh yeah, Inman and Grant have shown they can catch the ball. Rodgers has shown he's a major liability. And you can't be serious about your Ebron statement. Ebron was putting on a clinic, meanwhile Mo Allie Cox almost cost us the game. Even Cox knows that. C'mon man.

3 minutes ago, bsteves said:

Uhh yeah, Inman and Grant have shown they can catch the ball. Rodgers has shown he's a major liability. And you can't be serious about your Ebron statement. Ebron was putting on a clinic, meanwhile Mo Allie Cox almost cost us the game. Even Cox knows that. C'mon man.

inman should def get more targets

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bsteves said:

Listening to the post game, announcer said Ebron was shaken up at the end of the 2nd quarter. For whatever it's worth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The coaching was awful on both sides of the ball.  Our TE's are getting open all the time in the first half.  Nothing in the second half.  Our WR's are nothing to get excited about except for TY.  Our strength is our TE's and we need to exploit them for both halves.  They should be able to figure that out.  Instead they disappear. 

5 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I'm annoyed by threads like this.

Bye.

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Listening to the post game, announcer said Ebron was shaken up at the end of the 2nd quarter. For whatever it's worth

Thanks, I didn't know that. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

It's funny how everyone becomes experts when things are clicking. Our personnel on offense is lacking but yet I still think Reich called a great game. Get over it

Who said anything about being an expert. Reich did call a great game. It seems like to me there was a little too much rotation w our offensive skill players is all I was saying...

We had 2 drives die in the 2nd half from drops. We also did not run the ball worth a darn. Wilkins had 1 carry for 53 yards, Mack had 12 carries for 29 yards, and Hines had 3 carries for 3 yards. And not to single out Rogers, but he had 1 target and no receptions.

19 minutes ago, bsteves said:

Bye.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Id wait for facts to come out before bashing the staff like you did in your OP. Your post made it very clear you wanted to play armchair Coach/GM. Without any information at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They couldn't stop us.  We only stopped ourselves.  If Hines catches that pass, he's still running.  If Cox catches the ball, it's at least a two score game, and it's over.  If the defense gets a few first half stops or a turnover, the game could have been over in the 2nd quarter.

12 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Haha in what world is Inman and grant a playmaker? Mo Ali-cox has been amazing in limited time he’s played. Rogers on the other hand is trash and needs to be off this team.

Playmaker might have been the wrong term. Mo Allie Cox had one nice catch last week and that's it. He's been a practice squad player for a reason. You're giving him too much credit. I agree w you about Rodgers tho. I hope he's gone this offseason.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Id wait for facts to come out before bashing the staff like you did in your OP. Your post made it very clear you wanted to play armchair Coach/GM. Without any information at all. 

Not exactly. They have been rotating the skill players excessively all season long. Ebron should definitely be getting more reps, even in past games, than he has been.

35 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I didnt like that Mack was taken out for someone like Wilkins or Hines. That long Wilkins run would have been a TD of it was Mack. 

I'm guessing the play fake wouldn't have worked as well if mack was in as opposed to Wilkins.  Also, they both ran a 4.5 40 on their pro days

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bsteves said:

I love that our coaching staff place our younger guys and more inexperienced players in situations, where they need to make plays. 

It's part of building the right locker room mentality, and tell every single player, that the team needs them, and that the coaching staff have fait in those players.

Would I prefer to play the starters all the time, heck yeah, but, this team is among the youngest and most inexperienced of all teams in the NFL, so we need to play those guys and give them as many snaps as possible, to develop the team.

If the coaching staff didn't gave those players any snaps, or only played them in garbage time, I dont believe they would develop in the same way, as by giving them valuable playing time, in crucial situations where the game were on the line.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I love that our coaching staff place our younger guys and more inexperienced players in situations, where they need to make plays. 

Agreed. And Moe Alie-Cox let the ball hit his chest instead of catching it with his hands. A youthful mistake that's easily correctable. I see NO reason to bash him. I like what he brings to this young, growing offense.

• Like 4

I’m going to put this in the kindest way possible with facts to back it up:

- 3 TEs suited up, and it was Doyle’s first game back from injury, so Alie-Cox was our TE 2 basically

- Bluntly enough, Mo would be either the first or second TE on many of the other teams in the NFL, and he’s our TE4/5, so I’m happy with him. 

- With regards to Rogers, it’s a similar scenario to Alie-Cox/Doyle, as it was Grant’s first game back from injury, and even more so he had just been practicing for a few days leading up to this game. 

- Inman, while I do like him and saw what amazing work he did with the Chargers a few years back, was signed mid season for a reason. He isn’t a starting caliber WR, at most a decent #3. 

- Putting those two points together, I place Inman, Grant, and Rogers all in the same tier, as WR3s. We need another good WR, but we don’t have one, so Reich and the offense is working with what we are given. 

Alie-Cox really balled out most of the day, and we can’t expect much from any receiver outside of TY, so I feel like the points you make, while debatable and possibly (possibly) true, aren’t really pressing issues at the moment and time.

50 minutes ago, #12. said:

They couldn't stop us.  We only stopped ourselves.  If Hines catches that pass, he's still running.  If Cox catches the ball, it's at least a two score game, and it's over.  If the defense gets a few first half stops or a turnover, the game could have been over in the 2nd quarter.

If my aunt had a ..... she'd be my uncle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It was straight line running down the sideline.    It's the exact reason the 40 yard dash is used at the combine

Players running the 40 at the combine practice perfect technique and run at their absolute optimum with no pads or angles to deal with. Mack is the faster player on the field. I dont see how you can debate that.