Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 draft Pick in 2019

Hello Colts fans

Well... this season is developing into an injury prone season for the entire roster.

1-5 is the record, and of the remaining teams only the Dolphins have a winning record (as of the moment of writing - Titans and Jags are down and looks to loose tonights game) 

remaining opponents:

Bills: 2-4

Raiders: 1-5

Texans 3-3

Jags 3-2 (soon 3-3) twice

Titans 3-2 (soon 3-3) twice

Dolphins 4-2

Cowboys: 2-3 (soon 3-3)

Giants : 1-5

We are 2 games behind in the AFC South, so its way to early to say the season is over, but the chance of winning the AFC South... well something should change drastically if that was to happen.

But looking at the games remaining, I can see us winning 3-4 more games, which would be against the Raiders, Giants one against the titans and maybe the Bills game.

That would give the Colts a 5-11 record, and a draft pick around nr 5-8. I have looked at an 5-11 record for the last 5 years, to see where such a record would place a team in the draft, and that would be around nr 5 and up to pick #8.

Should we get a worse record, like 4-12 or 3-13, we would of course get a higher draft pick, but with the remaining opponents, and how competitive we have been in almost every game this season, I believe we win about 4 more games. 

Looking at the various mock drafts for 2019 and the fact that we dont need a QB, as we have Andrew Luck I have listed 10 names, which looks to be contending to be among the top 10 draft picks in the 2019 draft, so far.

(Much can of course change and probably will change, due to injuries, players entering the top 10 as so on)

But so far the top 10 players would be: okay 11 players.

Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama 

Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State 

Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson

A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss

Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State

Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Jonah Williams, OT Alabama

Of those names, I would say Nick Bosa will be gone when we pick, as I dont see us getting a top 3 pick and he's the only player I think will be a top 3 lock. 

So It looks like we would end up with a good DE or DT. 

I would love to hear your thoughts, and remember, much can and will change, so my guess is as good as yours.

Go Colts 

If we pick top 5 I want Oliver or Bosa but if they're gone trade down.  This draft is absolutely loaded at DL we could get Rashan Gary, Raekwon Davis, Jeffrey Simmons and way more.  Wouldn't be against drafting a CB like Greedy Williams or Deandre Baker either.  Then grab a WR from Ole Miss or Texas.

• Like 2

If we dont spend in FA again, then were going to have bad skills positions again next year. Class is deep in d line, OT, and some corners. Not alot of WR or RB debth. We can solidify both lines easily through the draft, but WR is most likely gonna ride on the hope of a mid to late round steal like TY. Good luck with that.

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Whose the best guard prospect? I say we use our top 5 pick on him. We can easily find an elite RB in the 4th round /s

From drafttek.com it looks like the best Guard prospects currently is Ross Pierschbacher -Alabama, Beau Benzschawel - Wisconsin and Nate Herbig -Stanford. 

but none of them are a top 10, top 20 or 1st round talents, from the overall position rankings from what I can see.

So taking one with the first round pick would be a huge reach.

21 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I do not want Bosa, just seems that the family has injury issues. Amazing talent but I dont know how long he'll be on the field

Huh? So you're assuming that because both Nick and Joey are injured now they aren't reliable/durable? Joey NEVER missed a college game, nor any games due to injury in the NFL until this year, and Nick hadn't missed a college game until he got hurt in the TCU game. There is no "injury history" that you're trying to make up. I guarantee you EVERY GM has Nick and Ed Oliver 1A and 1B on their draft board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Huh? So you're assuming that because both Nick and Joey are injured now they aren't reliable/durable? Joey NEVER missed a college game, nor any games due to injury in the NFL until this year, and Nick hadn't missed a college game until he got hurt in the TCU game. There is no "injury history" that you're trying to make up. I guarantee you EVERY GM has Nick and Ed Oliver 1A and 1B on their draft board. 

When Joey Bosa were drafted, the whole injury history from his dad was brought up. Especially when he held out during his contract negotiations. 

As I remember it was both on ESPN, in skip Bayless show and on several other networks, where they debated why he wanted the money guaranteed right away and why he wanted so much.

The Bosa family is injury prone and what scouts and GM´s were afraid of happening, is happening right now with Bosa in the NFL. He just can't be injury free and play all the games.

I like Nick Bosa, but I would not draft him. That family just ain't healthy enough to bet big time on. Yes joey Bosa is a great player when healthy, but he's missed 12 games so far, and will miss a lot more this season. 

Some players are made of glass, others not. 

The only player I would draft would be a BOB Sanders type player, but only because thats Bob Sanders ;)  

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

DateLeagueInjuryDetails

Aug 7, 2018NFLPedal FootBose suffered a left foot injury in training camp.

Dec 11, 2016NFLCervical Neck StrainBosa suffered a neck strain in the 2nd quarter of Week 14. He was also tested for a concussion but passed his baseline tests.

Oct 13, 2016NFLHand Finger DislocationBosa played through the injury in 2016 and 2017 before undergoing surgery after the 2017 campaign.

Sep 4, 2016NFLThigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2Bosa reported late to training camp after a holdout and missed the first 4 games of the season with a Grade 1 strain of his left hamstring.

Here's Joey injury history

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Can anyone tell me how well Greg Little did vs the Alabama and LSU fronts?

However, right now, I am enamored with Greedy Williams. You can't find such size and fluidity together amongst CBs easily.

I believe Greedy is a man corner.      Hard to see Ballard spending a first round pick on a position that Ballard says is not a premium position in his mostly zone defense.....

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 7:22 PM, Freenyfan102 said:

n

while at the same time luck has nobody to throw to

Overreaction. Luck's top 2 targets are currently injured.  You don't react to that by spending a top 10 pick on a WR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 7:22 PM, Freenyfan102 said:

n

while at the same time luck has nobody to throw to

We don't need it in Round 1. There will be plenty of good skill position players on Day 2 that will be better than the non-TY guys we have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

We don't need it in Round 1. There will be plenty of good skill position players on Day 2 that will be better than the non-TY guys we have.

Completely agree. Round 1 should be spent on DL or OT. There should be good WRs to be had rounds 2-4. I like Bryan Edwards from South Carolina. 

• Like 3

On 10/16/2018 at 3:51 PM, BOTT said:

In the first round? A defensive lineman

Yes.

In fact,  I'll even expand on this....    I'm willing to make a Gentleman's best with anyone,  that our first three picks....   our 1st round pick and both of our 2nd round picks,  will ALL be lineman.   Two defensive lineman and an offensive lineman.     I'll be very surprised and very disappointed if it doesn't work out that way....

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 6:52 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Greedy is a man corner.      Hard to see Ballard spending a first round pick on a position that Ballard says is not a premium position in his mostly zone defense.....

I largely agree if we think we will continue to play that zone defense. I'm still not sure this will be the case. I kind of hope that this is what we are doing now while our defense is young and inexperienced and largely lacking talent. I wish we'd play more cover 3, which was something we all assumed was going to happen when we got Ed Dodds from Seattle and drafted Hooker with a 1st round pick, who is a prototypical single high safety in the mold of Earl Thomas that Seattle based their entire defense on. 

My hope is that with time and acquiring more DB talent, we will start to mix in more man cover schemes.... if not in a complete change up of the defense, at least as a way to confuse and catch opposing offenses off-guard. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 10:52 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I agree 100%

Many posters on this board seek a shut down CB.......  Thats AWESOME if we ran a traditional defense.......   BUT we dont........

This defense, to be effective, needs stars at.......

In no order:

DE 

One DT - 3 technique (Warren Sapp is a jerk .......   but played this role well)

WSLB

SS - Lynch

FS

https://www.bucsnation.com/2010/5/12/1466315/tampa-2-defense-explained

We do variations of this defense, but the concepts are spelled out

One of the HUGE benefits from this defense is economics.

Most teams have to pay HUGE $$$ for shut down CBs......  They have to spend big draft capitol on theses spots.  Our Tampa 2 defense can be effectively "stocked" with 3-5th round CB draft picks........

You dont, normally, have to use your early picks on CBs ........ If you are drafting early, you are going with one of the picks above

There are also MANY more players that can play CB in a Tampa 2. A 4.5 to 4.6 40 guy would get roasted at CB in a Man to man role. He might be a star in this defense.

If a guys can tackle, has a decent break on the ball.....and can jam a reciever for a few yards, until he passes the man to a safety...... he can be very good

Last comment

There are a few folks freaking out.......  I would say, dont

You can see the pieces coming together for this defense

We are on the way to something better.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 7:57 AM, Matthew Gilbert said:

Lol I'm just busting your balls. I was a big Bob Sanders fan. With his style of play he just couldn't stay on the field.

Yeah he had an excuse for his injuries.  He was a missle and attacked every play like it  was his last.  He was my fav Colt player of all time.  Can't prove it but I also think his body was built by the use of performance enhancing....shall we say methods.