Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Free Agents

dw49

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn't lose 5 minutes of sleep worrying about who is available in 2019 when it's only Oct. 1st.

At this point last year, Frank Gore and Vonte Davis were two of the top-10 FA's that ESPN projected.     They weren't by the time actual free agency came around.

Guys ALWAYS come available.   Teams will make cuts due to the salary cap.    Guys will become available because the teams don't think they're worth keeping.    Guys will become available because of evaluation mistakes teams make.    There are always decent FA's.    Ballard and his staff will find the players they think fit our system.    Have some faith...

I will get some faith. But I really don't think this year's class will be as good as last year's. I do know guys become available and some others will turn out to be better football players when this season ends. But I'm talking about adding a stud WR or OL . I looked at last years list and it looks to be far better than this year's. 

Here's a list of the top 101 that IMO really had a lot of nice players.  They don't have Gore or Davis mentioned in their best 101. Says updated April 2013 , so I would think Gore was available then ? No big deal where Gore was mentioned but leave it to ESPN to say he was better than any of these first 30 or so guys on this list.

But I do think we are well on our way to being a good team . I'm thinking around 8 wins even after Thursday's probable loss. I really like the young guys on this team . However , you must provide Luck with something more to compliment Hilton.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917412/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2018-kirk-cousins-tops-the-board

• Like 1

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Garbage to say we missed out on anyone in FA.  And who says we get all the pieces next off season? How do you see 2020 FA and the draft?

Here are some guys you probably know little to nothing about.

RT Daryl Williams
       Jamon Brown

JaWuan James

WR Devon Funchess

Golden Tate
       Josh Gordon

John Brown

CB  Ronald Darby

Bradley Roby

Would love to get Tate

13 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

CBs can only cover so long.  We are getting pressure, but QBS like Watson, Wentz , Smith and even Dalton are good at extending the play and running themselves.

I think out D has over-achieved to some extent, however injuries to the back-end and new system and rookies will have some mistakes.  We draft or add 1 good CB, i think we'll be good.'

Offensively, draft/FA OTs, figure out running game and i think we're pretty good.  Pascal is stepping up and Cain will be back.

I agree with this.  My comment was directly related to the comment about Watson having all day in the pocket.

I think the Colts D has a combination of good scheme, good players for that scheme and a DC that is good at developing a game plan.

WR should be a priority. We have got to help Hilton and Luck. We’re makig it easy to defend against us. Double cover Hilton. If Doyle is playing pay attention to him. Be aggressive up front. 

Thats the defensive formula for killing us. There’s no other receiver who the defense has to consider committing coverage to. Everyone is a #3 with a nice upside. We’ve struggled with that since Donnie Avery. We never put the defense in a position where they have to chose which receiver to double, or if they double them both and hope for the best with the TE underneath. 

And that makes it easier for defenders. They can get more loose and relaxed in coverage. It boosts their confidence not having to worry about playing WRs who can torch them if they make even the slightest of mistakes. You can lose a step on anyone other than Hilton and still not have to go into panic mode. 

Is it our biggest area of need? No. But Luck is our best player. Hilton is arguably our second. The more we do to help them make plays the better we’re going to do, and more than a top tier running game or elite blocking up front, forcing defenses into situations where they have to really choose wisely is going to give us the biggest returns. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I agree with this.  My comment was directly related to the comment about Watson having all day in the pocket.

I think the Colts D has a combination of good scheme, good players for that scheme and a DC that is good at developing a game plan.

I wasnt contradicting you.

sometimes i'll quote to expand on a subject.

and yes, i too like what is starting with our D.

• Like 1

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

I wasnt contradicting you.

sometimes i'll quote to expand on a subject.

and yes, i too like what is starting with our D.

I didn't think you were contradicting me, just explaining the reason for my posts.  Is you're like me, you scan through the thread until you see a post that is interesting and respond.  I don't always know the backstory behind the post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I didn't think you were contradicting me, just explaining the reason for my posts.  Is you're like me, you scan through the thread until you see a post that is interesting and respond.  I don't always know the backstory behind the post.

I dont always know the backstory behind my OWN posts.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Okay, I am by no means any salary guru, but don't you have to use a percentage of the money you've rolled over from previous years?  I thought I remember reading that on here a while back?  I could be VERY wrong, but y'all would know better, so I ask.

The only rule is that teams have to spend 89% of cap in cash over a 4-year period (2017-2020). This is the 2nd year and though we haven't spend much on FAs, we can get to that 89% limit relatively easy even if Ballard continues to be stingy with the money.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, #12. said:

Hunt, Sheard, Woods, Autry, etc., weren't big names either, but have certainly helped the team.  

We'll probably see more players like this signed, with the hopes of getting your difference makers in the draft - Leonard...

Nelson and Turay(hopefully).

Like what you said here. I’m pretty sure Jim and Chris both said they will be building this team through the draft. We are looking ahead to pay players like Nelson when their contracts are up. So I don’t think any big time FA will be brought in. 

18 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

My point is, we had a few individual plays that could have led us to 4-0

Texan Game

Dropped passes

Penalties at bad times that kept drives moving

Miss of the clock by officials in Q4 on Texans

(Any of these 3 COULD have changed the outcome)

Eagles game

Key Missed tackles

at least 1 poor call by official, keeping a key drive alive

Bengals game

My old brain forgets that game details, but we fell apart in Q4

One drive stop, COULD have made the difference

We are close

The Best example of this actually came from the Penn State / Ohio State post game

per the Penn State coach

He told the press how tough it was to get the team from a bad team to a good team.

He then talked about how much work it took in getting the team from Good to a Great team

He said his squad wasnt elite.... (shameless OSU plug.... Like THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES)

The reality is...... There are logical STEPS that WE have to take to go from Bad (think Horrible) 

to Good.   Folks.... we are stepping up to GOOD

We ARE NOT GREAT!

And we sure as heck arent ELITE

Some fans here expect Elite TODAY........  Thats not gonna happen this year.... It just isnt.

You will give yourself HUGE disappointments if you think we are Elite.........

The reality of our current "Phase"....... we are going from Bad, and are on the cusp of "Good"

"Great" is still a ways off

I am very happy with where we are TODAY

Maybe next year we can move to Good with some Great sprinkled in.....  We may actually win 10-11 games next year

We will see, but the progression is real........... 

oh i for one was not expecting playoffs this year, I figured 3-5 wins this year, but the team showing a lot of improvement. The defensive side of the ball is looking a lot better than last year that is for sure, with the exception of the first game where they fell apart in the 4th qtr again. I still believe the Colts beat the eagles, even though they did lose, they did outplay them. I think with a blown call where their receiver stepped out of bounds on 3rd and long in the 4th and the colts did not challenge it and it kept the drive going hurt them as much as the 3rd down pass play at the eagles 5 did late in the 4th as well. 

I give them another year or two and this team can start being in a championship conversation. unfortunately Luck will be in the beginning of his 30's and may need to start thinking another QB in a couple years in the draft. As much as a lot of people on here will not want to hear or even agree with me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

3 OT are projected to go in the first 7 picks 

Jonah Williams

Greg Little

Dalton Risner

Long time till then, many things happen (QBs announce, players shine in workouts)

I hope one ore two of these are available at 11-16 where I think we will be at.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 2:21 PM, chad72 said:

Kelvin Benjamin on a 1 or 2 year deal would be nice, will help immensely as a WR2 and red zone size. 

I also like the job Greg Robinson has been doing at tackle with the Cleveland Browns. I would not mind offering him a deal to play RT.

If KB is a FA I would be inclined to agree with you.

Again we’re not bringing in any big time FA’s. Ballard stated that multiple times. We’re building the team through the draft. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand. We have to pay the players we current drafted 5 years from now. Ballard is doing the smart thing unlike years past. We can get plenty of help through the draft. So far Chris has proved such in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 5:55 PM, Davvon2590 said:

I don't think Ballard has a lack of interest in FA. Al Woods, Simon, Autry, Sheard, etc...

I just think he swung and missed on the top guy he wanted last year in Norwell and instead of scrambling and spending he kept his money to take another swing this year.

I expect us to be linked to one of the Dallas pass rushers in free agency. I also think that he has seen enough from the RT spot that he will make a run at one of the 2-3 above average RTs hitting the market.

Golden Tate, while not young, strikes me as a Ballard type signing. Could land him cheaper due to age and on a shorter term deal. He would also fit this offense well in that possession/yac role you see agholor possess with Philly. Haven't heard of any character concerns either.

There is such a deficiency of oline talent compared to dline talent in this league right now. This year's draft could only serve to further the separation if the assumed level of dline talent is correct. 

Regarding Norwell, and according to PFF (if it means anything to you), it looks like Ballard made the right decision drafting Nelson instead thus far (in three games anyways) https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-3-nfl-offensive-line-rankings.

9 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Regarding Norwell, and according to PFF (if it means anything to you), it looks like Ballard made the right decision drafting Nelson instead thus far (in three games anyways) https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-3-nfl-offensive-line-rankings.

Agree. Bobby Massie of the Bears will be a free agent as well, would not be a bad RT option for us. 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, Blueblood23 said:

Get Tate in here if at all possible.

He would definitely help but I doubt Detroit lets him go.  The other thing is he's 30.  History is not kind in that regard, particularly if he wants big $$$.

On 10/2/2018 at 12:21 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn't lose 5 minutes of sleep worrying about who is available in 2019 when it's only Oct. 1st.

At this point last year, Frank Gore and Vonte Davis were two of the top-10 FA's that ESPN projected.     They weren't by the time actual free agency came around.

Guys ALWAYS come available.   Teams will make cuts due to the salary cap.    Guys will become available because the teams don't think they're worth keeping.    Guys will become available because of evaluation mistakes teams make.    There are always decent FA's.    Ballard and his staff will find the players they think fit our system.    Have some faith...

A good point well made. I'm not as toxic as you think.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 12:46 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Guys........ we are improving

You could pick ONE play or call from each game, to change.... Just ONE.....

We would be 4-0

Dont lose hope.....

2018 is a growth year

2019 is a playoff year

Amen brother. 

9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

He would definitely help but I doubt Detroit lets him go.  The other thing is he's 30.  History is not kind in that regard, particularly if he wants big $$$.

That's true, but unfortunately for us  some of our young players are already hurt. 

• Like 1