Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Christine Michael

Shepman

So I have a theory on why Michael is 4th on the depth chart.  I believe he is targeted as the running back that will be replaced when Turbin is eligible.  By keeping him 4th they attempt to limit controversy when this happens.  My opinion is he should be starting with Mack out but Ballard and Coach has decided he will be odd man out regardless.  Probably a lot to do with Rookie contracts.  

I think most everybody expects him to be the odd man out when Turbin comes back.

Even if he was getting more snaps and contributing I don’t think there’d be any controversy in cutting him. Like you said too much investment/potential in the three young backs. And not to mention his injury history and to a lesser degree his fumble concerns.

I'm not buying the conspiracy......Ballard signed him last year as a FA....went to camp, got injured and placed on IR - and subsequently stayed there all season without an injury settlement. He came to camp and competed this year and he is still behind Mack, Turbin, Wilkins and Hines on the depth chart.

He will likely be waived in favor of Turbin because eveyone else is better. No conspiracy theory needed...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shepman said:

So I have a theory on why Michael is 4th on the depth chart.  I believe he is targeted as the running back that will be replaced when Turbin is eligible.  By keeping him 4th they attempt to limit controversy when this happens.  My opinion is he should be starting with Mack out but Ballard and Coach has decided he will be odd man out regardless.  Probably a lot to do with Rookie contracts.  

A look at the Colts financial page at Spotrac.com will show that Turbin is the highest paid RB on the team at roughly $850k a season.

Hines, Hooker and Michael all make roughly the same about 600k +.

And Wilkins, as a 6th round pick makes the lowest,  in the mid-500's.

So money is not a consideration in this decision.     Making decisions on who plays based on money is a good way to mess up a locker-room....   especially of a young team without a bunch of natural leaders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And you accuse me of trolling in another thread? :)

I'm actually serious about this.   

That's just my opinion.   I don't think his potential ceiling is higher, just that between Wilkens, Hines and Michael, I think he is best right now.  At least he has a history of being pretty good.   When Mack and Turbin come back, I think they need to be the 1-2 punch.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A look at the Colts financial page at Spotrac.com will show that Turbin is the highest paid RB on the team at roughly $850k a season.

Hines, Hooker and Michael all make roughly the same about 600k +.

And Wilkins, as a 6th round pick makes the lowest,  in the mid-500's.

So money is not a consideration in this decision.     Making decisions on who plays based on money is a good way to mess up a locker-room....   especially of a young team without a bunch of natural leaders.

I think the thing to remember is all the Rookies salary stay that way for 4 years.  

• Like 1