Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LT position

Aluckiswolverine

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   I’m guessing the coaches don’t agree with you.

AC was out and it was Haeg who started to protect Luck.

Heck, Howard didn’t start and Clark didn’t start there either.   Webb, who just got plucked off the street a week ago,  got the nod at RT.    Clark appears to be a disappointment with this new staff as well.

Hey,  I’ve been defending Clark since the night we drafted him.   So we’re at two and a half years and the light apparently still hasn’t gone on yet.

A tremendous shame.   He’s got all the physical tools.   But he can’t seem to put things together....   (Sigh...). 

I was stunned at how poorly Howard played, T was hopeful he would be an actual "average" T. Given what we saw Thursday I'm not sure he makes the 53 man roster.

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

AC is fine. It’s the depth behind him that is non-existent.

Unfortunately, this is another byproduct of the Grigson era, and the Colts will be dealing with his set backs for a few more years. In his entire 5 drafts he never drafted an OT that you could label “decent”. And you can’t put it on Ballard. There’s only so many draft picks and you don’t want to go crazy spending cap money on band-aids.

LT specifically is a huge question mark after AC. At RT Good can probably get you through a game or two and Smith is also a possibility. 2019, Ballard will have to draft a tackle though. But the LT situation is the unfortunate reality of the Colts. We still have plenty of holes. We’ll just have to trust the process until then.

Good even when healthy isn’t “good” at all. I really don’t under the hype around a guy who can’t stay healthy. 

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

Your a PFF bible Pastor. According to that 80.3 is average. I’m not going to sit here and argue with you. Just look it up. That light green color according to them means average. 

I did look it up...    and his grade if 80.3 gives him a rating of “above average.”

Again...    the person whose opinion that matters is Ballard.   And Ballard appears to love the guy.    Has consistently praised him.

So that isn’t PFF andd it isn’t my opinion.   It’s the view of the GM.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Good even when healthy isn’t “good” at all. I really don’t under the hype around a guy who can’t stay healthy. 

I’m not hyped about him at all. I’m in the same boat as the people who think he was not as good as everyone made him out to be, regardless of the fact that Irsay said his name once. What I’m saying is that he’s a serviceable backup in a pinch. He definitely shouldn’t and isn’t going to be a starter, but I’d take him over Haeg, Vujnovich, and Clark any day.

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

"Troll" is the word you seek.

I hear you and feel you...   but I’m always reluctant to use that word...

In my time here...   more than 6 years now...    I think I’ve used it only 2-3 times...  

So,  I won’t say I never use it...   but it’s rare... 

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

That’s average at 80.3

No it’s not.   80.3 for PFF is above average.

And one other thought....   you referred to me as a PFF Bible Thumper...   and that’s not true either.

Just in the last 7-10 days I got into a debate with my friend “Stitches” who started a thread from PFF over their video about the AFC South win total.

I called the PFF South predictions of the wins for each team being somewhere between 7-8 “silly”.   I called their computer projections as “garbage in, garbage out.”

But here’s the deal...   PFF says AC as above average.  Ballard says he’s playing the best ball of his career.   ESPN analytics says he’s above average. 

A poster like Coffeedrinker who knows as much about O-line play as anyone, says AC is above average.  So do posters like Superman and Stiches.

So when ALL of those opinions match up, I feel comfortable that their view matches my view.   So I’m not relying on just PFF, I’m relying on ALL of these views.

7 hours ago, Rally5 said:

PFF is just a marker that doesn't take into consideration all the other aspects of the game of football.  To me, it's where people who don't know what their looking at go to find an opinion. 

For those of you that don't understand AC's value, soak in last night!  What was really disappointing was the RT play.  I was hoping Howard could play, he was just awful, as was pretty much everyone else in that role.  Our hope seems to be AC comes back and stays healthy and Haeg seems to be the next best tackle on the roster except he's not really a tackle.  

Well,  he is a better tackle than guard, and i agree, he is not a tackle. Center?

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well,  he is a better tackle than guard, and i agree, he is not a tackle. Center?

My opinion of Haeg is he is a wonderful 'next man up' who can play everything except left tackle in a pinch.  I like that about him very much, the issue is we don't seem to have a legit starting RT which means it's likely Haeg and no depth at all at LT.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I did look it up...    and his grade if 80.3 gives him a rating of “above average.”

Again...    the person whose opinion that matters is Ballard.   And Ballard appears to love the guy.    Has consistently praised him.

So that isn’t PFF andd it isn’t my opinion.   It’s the view of the GM.

It's not even "above average" . Those descriptors are not exact, they are general ball park estimates and they do not hold consistent across positions. For example 80.3 might rank you 30th among DEs, which is just "above average" out of 100 or so ranked DEs, but it's not just "above average" when it ranks you 9th out of 100 or so OTs. This is better than above average.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No it’s not.   80.3 for PFF is above average.

And one other thought....   you referred to me as a PFF Bible Thumper...   and that’s not true either.

Just in the last 7-10 days I got into a debate with my friend “Stitches” who started a thread from PFF over their video about the AFC South win total.

I called the PFF South predictions of the wins for each team being somewhere between 7-8 “silly”.   I called their computer projections as “garbage in, garbage out.”

But here’s the deal...   PFF says AC as above average.  Ballard says he’s playing the best ball of his career.   ESPN analytics says he’s above average. 

A poster like Coffeedrinker who knows as much about O-line play as anyone, says AC is above average.  So do posters like Superman and Stiches.

So when ALL of those opinions match up, I feel comfortable that their view matches my view.   So I’m not relying on just PFF, I’m relying on ALL of these views.

The light green coloring again indicates him at 80.3 as average. Light Blue indictates  above average or elite. You have posted several post using PFF to prove a point. So how are you going to sit up here and say you don’t use or care about it?

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m not hyped about him at all. I’m in the same boat as the people who think he was not as good as everyone made him out to be, regardless of the fact that Irsay said his name once. What I’m saying is that he’s a serviceable backup in a pinch. He definitely shouldn’t and isn’t going to be a starter, but I’d take him over Haeg, Vujnovich, and Clark any day.

I’m saying exactly what your say. At the end of the day the guy is just average. Nothing more or less. 

A.C. is fine at RT.  Good makes a great LT or back-up swing tackle.  Problem is Good has been injury prone.  Which makes him better as a fill in swing tackle.

Last year our Tackles were our O-line strength,..our issue was the middle of the O-line.  That is where 90% of our sacks/hits/pressures came from.  We've solidified our Guard positions. and once A.C. and Good get healthy, we'll be fine on the o-line.

16 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

He’s a average to good. I’m saying we have nothing good behind Castonzo. I hope this minor injury doesn’t nag him all season. 

Agree, he is good and our best option. I thpught we would have moved him over to the right side by now and drafted his replacement on the left. Our depth is a serious issue imo, and to be honest i hope Luck can take a beating for next couple years till it can fully be addressed.  Not sure if there is a thread for our WR corps, but another area of concern is imo glaring with lack of depth.

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

AC is fine. It’s the depth behind him that is non-existent.

Unfortunately, this is another byproduct of the Grigson era, and the Colts will be dealing with his set backs for a few more years. In his entire 5 drafts he never drafted an OT that you could label “decent”. And you can’t put it on Ballard. There’s only so many draft picks and you don’t want to go crazy spending cap money on band-aids.

LT specifically is a huge question mark after AC. At RT Good can probably get you through a game or two and Smith is also a possibility. 2019, Ballard will have to draft a tackle though. But the LT situation is the unfortunate reality of the Colts. We still have plenty of holes. We’ll just have to trust the process until then.

Totally agree. 

21 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Sorry let me clarify. Costanzo is good my worry is depth. I feel we have all our eggs in the Costanzo basket and the backups are trash. 

Im just a fan I’m sure Ballard sees this as well and was curious if you guys think he will try and make any  acquisitions or trades. 

21 hours ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I think if CB does look for any OT if will be after the cuts, im sure there might be a good backup dropped somewhere 

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Or the waiver wire at cut down day.  We claim very early.

A good portion of the league is looking for a good LT.  Teams with them don't 'cut' them.  Our pro player director and scouts have looked at all the other teams OT, just in case one with more talent than our backups presently have becomes available.  But don't count on it.  Someone on the roster will likely have to step up their game at LT if AC gets nicked up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, a06cc said:

The light green coloring again indicates him at 80.3 as average. Light Blue indictates  above average or elite. You have posted several post using PFF to prove a point. So how are you going to sit up here and say you don’t use or care about it?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here....

Please take another look.

Here is AC's PFF page.    Stitches posted it earlier in the thread.    I'm re-posting it here.

You'll see their rainbow-like grading chart.    Yellow is average.    The light green is above average.     Don't take my word for it,  see for yourself.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/anthony-castonzo/6174

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

A good portion of the league is looking for a good LT.  Teams with them don't 'cut' them.  Our pro player director and scouts have looked at all the other teams OT, just in case one with more talent than our backups presently have becomes available.  But don't count on it.  Someone on the roster will likely have to step up their game at LT if AC gets nicked up.

Agreed

Most of the LTs cut have a major flaw

On 8/10/2018 at 1:07 PM, Luck 4 president said:

I’ve said it before, but besides Luck, an injury to castanzo would hurt our team more than any other individual. No depth behind him.

The way our wr look an injury to hilton would be an army of nobodies

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Just saw they had B smith working at RT today

The latest from Stephen Holder:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/08/11/colts-offensive-tackle-situation-remains-muddled/949122002/

...On Thursday, the Colts opened with Joe Haeg at left tackle and J’Marcus Webb at right tackle. Haeg gave up the lone sack in the two series played by quarterback Andrew Luck. During Saturday’s practice, Le’Raven Clark (left tackle) and rookie Braden Smith (right tackle) ran with the first team. The lack of continuity has resulted in a muddled the picture – particularly at right tackle, where the job appears to be wide open...

...we’ve said right from the very start it’s open competition,” coach Frank Reich said. “The best guy will start. So, we have been rotating those guys through there. And each guy has had a lot of good moments. We feel good about the depth we have right there. we’re just waiting to see who’s going to emerge.”

Reich doesn’t seem worried. But should he be? Castonzo (hamstring) will be back, Reich hopes, before the end of the preseason. The goal is to get him playing time in exhibition games. But the Colts right now look to be as far away from answers at right tackle as they’ve been all offseason...

AC is and has been, a dependable player.......

Not great, not probowl, but someone that you can count on........

With this line ........ AVERAGE has been outstanding........

When you actually have a LG that can do their job, (Nelson) I think you will actually see an improvement in AC

Having a weak link, next to you DOES effect your game

We now have 3 good players manning the left side of the OL

Which side do you thinks the blitzs will come from, now?

As apposed to looking at an onslaught from every side, Luck can now just have to worry abuout one side........  This is HUGE for a QB

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

AC is and has been, a dependable player.......

Not great, not probowl, but someone that you can count on........

With this line ........ AVERAGE has been outstanding........

When you actually have a LG that can do their job, (Nelson) I think you will actually see an improvement in AC

Having a weak link, next to you DOES effect your game

We now have 3 good players manning the left side of the OL

Which side do you thinks the blitzs will come from, now?

As apposed to looking at an onslaught from every side, Luck can now just have to worry abuout one side........  This is HUGE for a QB

Not really. The best players and quick guys will challenge Nelson in pass pro.
And our RB's ability to pick up blitzes will be a Huge factor. And our TE pass blocking will likely be average at best. JMO of course.

18 hours ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

Just saw they had B smith working at RT today

That may be a legit option for us, if I were to guess I would say AC comes back and Haeg is the starting RT.  It would be odd to have Haeg (if you're a coach) start at LT for AC and then have him sit for someone else at RT.  That's my guess BUT we'll see how talented Smith is, if he can transition over great or, he becomes our depth.  What's stunning is Clark, Howard, and Good all seem to be on the cut line based on us starting Webb at RT.  Howard was brought here to start so I'm not sure we would keep him as a backup.  I can't wait for the day OLine isn't a topic of conversation.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

That may be a legit option for us, if I were to guess I would say AC comes back and Haeg is the starting RT.  It would be odd to have Haeg (if you're a coach) start at LT for AC and then have him sit for someone else at RT.  That's my guess BUT we'll see how talented Smith is, if he can transition over great or, he becomes our depth.  What's stunning is Clark, Howard, and Good all seem to be on the cut line based on us starting Webb at RT.  Howard was brought here to start so I'm not sure we would keep him as a backup.  I can't wait for the day OLine isn't a topic of conversation.

Webb is getting a lot of looks at different positions due to the injuries.  He hasn't played in a long time so they have to see what he's got.  Good is not on the cut line.  He's the best RT on the team. 

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

I don't see Haeg starting in any way

• Thanks 1

Right Tackle is a big worry. Good is the only players we have that has been able to string a couple of solid games together at the position. But he is completely unreliable injury-wise.

The new FA Howard looked atrocious against the Hawks last Thursday, he didn't even look fit. Braden Smith is even ahead of him now, and he needs to be developing as a guard. My hope is, Bond comes back and backs up Kelly at center, leaving Haeg to fully concentrate on being the backup to Good. I think if Good and Haeg stay someway healthy we can get through this season.

I think Ballard will invest a high draft pick on the right tackle spot (probably using one of his two second rounders) next year.