Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Turbin Suspended 4 Games

TKnight24

Franchise QB does something inappropriate to an uber driver's body.....three game suspension.  Low to mid tier RB does something "inappropriate" to his own body......4 game suspension.  Once again the NFLs messaging is just a little off.  Not arguing for a reduced sentence for our guy btw,  just pointing it out.....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Franchise QB does something inappropriate to an uber driver's body.....three game suspension.  Low to mid tier RB does something "inappropriate" to his own body......4 game suspension.  Once again the NFLs messaging is just a little off.  Not arguing for a reduced sentence for our guy btw,  just pointing it out.....

I get the point you are making, but the comp is not right.  PED use and penalties are different than testing positive for substances of abuse, which is different than domestic violence and sexual assault.

Question is, how did Winston get his sentence cut in half? (from 6 games to  3)

16 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Had nothing to do with his status as a low tier RB. Cheating is cheating, and others have received the same suspension for PEDs. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Exactly.

The question is how/why did Winston only get 3 games instead of 6?

If I had to guess maybe during the appeal they decided groping shouldn’t receive the same suspension as rape or domestic violence. Stuff like that is always case by case because some are much more severe than others. 

4 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

If I had to guess maybe during the appeal they decided groping shouldn’t receive the same suspension as rape or domestic violence. Stuff like that is always case by case because some are much more severe than others. 

Good points, and ones I already considered but then, when did Jameis appeal?  I thought he decided to serve it to begin the year because appealing would not likely change this reduced punishment at all (unlike Ezekiel Elliot, who appealed both in the NFL and outside courts, yet still ended with 6 games at the end).

While this is unfortunate for Turbin. This is an opportunity for the other RB's, the one flying under the radar is Christine Michael, he was fairly highly regarded when drafted in the 2nd round by the Seahawks in 2013, coming out of Texas A&M.  Hope he reads this and realizes he needs to come to camp in the best shape of his life to make the team and stay on team as this may be his last chance.  The door has opened a little wider for him.  At 220 lbs, he can be our short yardage back like Turbin.  Mack, Hines, and Wilkins, we know will make the team.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I get the point you are making, but the comp is not right.  PED use and penalties are different than testing positive for substances of abuse, which is different than domestic violence and sexual assault.

Question is, how did Winston get his sentence cut in half? (from 6 games to  3)

The sentence got cut in half, because the Winston camp threatened a legal appeal that might drag out into the regular season PLUS says he no longer drinks at all.

The NFL figured that it’s better to get half a sentence than have Winston stall and potentially win.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:43 PM, The Fish said:

Yeah, he looks like he uses PED's. I make no moral judgments on that in the NFL though. 

The last carry for him last season was so brutal though, you want to see a guy get back after something like that.

More carries for the young guys. That might be good?

Can you tell me what someone who uses PEDs looks like? How is that different from people who work hard and eat right? I know people who look better than him and all they do is eat lots of protein and have well planned out workout regimes

Robert, Robert, Robert...On the one hand, I liked that you took responsibility for your suspension & did not look for an easy scapegoat. On the other hand, you're not a rookie & have been in the league awhile so, this action is a foolish one.

I think back to Mathis who took a substance to conceive a baby with his wife & he neglected to verify that the league had whatever he took on a prohibited list. The difference is Mathis is a SB Champion & he had accumulated a mountain of goodwill with INDY fans across the globe making his mistake so minor it was less than a blip on the radar screen to me. Besides, I revere #98 who can do no wrong in my eyes. 

I won't crucify Turbin on this. He seems genuinely remorseful. Hades, we all make mistakes man. It's okay to be disappointed in him, but no fan is gonna punish him harder than he is already doing himself. Calls for releasing him over this error in judgement seem unwarranted & excessive to me.  

Man, I must be getting old. I clicked on Turbin's twitter statement to enlarge the text & I still struggle to read his response easily & that's with my glasses on. LOL! 

8 hours ago, Douzer said:

I believe the intent was to have the starting units be 90% vets to start the season.

I also believe Turbin was going to be the starter opening day. He was the guy that could block and keep Andrew off the turf through the first 4 games. I expected the other backs to cycle in and press for their share of time as the season moved on.

Now we have 3 backs that have not proved they can block anybody. Not a good situation. I see this as a big setback to the team strategy for the early part of the season.

Douzer, 

You make a darn fine point. Turbin did seem solid on blitz pickup. Thank you for making that crucial point sir. :hat:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Douzer said:

I believe the intent was to have the starting units be 90% vets to start the season.

I also believe Turbin was going to be the starter opening day. He was the guy that could block and keep Andrew off the turf through the first 4 games. I expected the other backs to cycle in and press for their share of time as the season moved on.

Now we have 3 backs that have not proved they can block anybody. Not a good situation. I see this as a big setback to the team strategy for the early part of the season.

Blocking is definitely not Mack's strong suit. And when you read Hines and Wilkin's scouting reports, blocking was one of their weaker traits in college.

Does this situation buy Michael or Ferguson some time on the 53 man roster? Perhaps but I'm not thrilled about either guy. The free agent scrap heap at RB isn't very pretty either. Once roster cuts happen I'd like to think there will be a better option for the Turbin role available.

2 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Blocking is definitely not Mack's strong suit. And when you read Hines and Wilkin's scouting reports, blocking was one of their weaker traits in college.

Does this situation buy Michael or Ferguson some time on the 53 man roster? Perhaps but I'm not thrilled about either guy. The free agent scrap heap at RB isn't very pretty either. Once roster cuts happen I'd like to think there will be a better option for the Turbin role available.

Eh. Feel like it’s gonna be a lot more TE friendly formations so pass blocking RB may not be too much of a need

I have a lot more faith in the coaching/game planning this time around so we’ll see

Pre-season should be a good indicator of who gets the reps on passing downs

Let Turbin play in preseason game 4, the rest of the games get games 1-3 

12 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Ascend what someone who uses PEDs looks like? How is that different from people who work hard and eat right? I know people who look better than him and all they do is eat lots of protein and have well planned out workout regimes

As a competitive lifter/powerlifter im calling nonsense....

As a Colt, I appreciate his statement early on and his apologies to those who is affected by his actions. As to his person, I do not respect cheating. 

And btw, the statements, "Its only cheating if you get caught" or "Its called gamesmanship" are nothing but polishing a ****. (rhymes with bird). Winning through fair and clean competition and winning at any cost do not produce the same result in my world. 

Also, I was highly critical of Robert when he was tested positive. 

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

As a competitive lifter/powerlifter im calling nonsense....

Well for one, turbin isn't that huge looking, yo can find combine photos with arms as big as they are now, and competitive powerlifters are a completely different category

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bleevit said:

Lets all hope this is the worst news we get during preseason. If so, we'll all be happy.

Could be an Andrew scandal brewing. 

Rumor has it he’s looking for that one kid who dropped the pass at the camp messing up his completion %

:lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Well for one, turbin isn't that huge looking, yo can find combine photos with arms as big as they are now, and competitive powerlifters are a completely different category

Granted you can get to a certain level without taking stuff. But even 80-90 percent of those guys who claim to be clean are juicing. It's more on the recovery and strength aspect. Power lifters actually take more cardcore crap. To each their own but they act like everybody is not taking something and that's not true at all.

Lol no faith in any of our rb is all I’m reading. Mack still being bashed for blocking and no1 has seen if he’s gotten better yet he was a “rookie”  we also don’t know how well our rookies will do Hines blocking issue is moreso that he’s small not that he doesn’t see where to pick the blitz up he’s a willing blocker 

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

Granted you can get to a certain level without taking stuff. But even 80-90 percent of those guys who claim to be clean are juicing. It's more on the recovery and strength aspect. Power lifters actually take more cardcore crap. To each their own but they act like everybody is not taking something and that's not true at all.

No where near that many are using steroids. Protein shake supplements, vitamin packs, pre-workouts, etc do not count in my book as "juicing."

To many act like everybody is taking something if they even have the slightest muscle mass.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:00 PM, Four2itus said:

As a Colt, I appreciate his statement early on and his apologies to those who is affected by his actions. As to his person, I do not respect cheating. 

And btw, the statements, "Its only cheating if you get caught" or "Its called gamesmanship" are nothing but polishing a ****. (rhymes with bird). Winning through fair and clean competition and winning at any cost do not produce the same result in my world. 

Also, I was highly critical of Robert when he was tested positive. 

Very reasonable perspective.  I do not believe in anyone that says they went to (GNC, Max Muscle, etc...) and took an OTC supplement and then tested positive, and they didn't know. If they truly didn't, it is because they wanted to be ignorant and did not care.

Because the player is responsible for anything ingested, there are measures to help them stay 'clean', if they choose.  First, each team physician has a list of OTC products that contain banned substances.  Stay Away! Also, the NFL will test a product submitted to them.  Finally, there is actually an app that lists all the products that contain substances banned for sport.

http://www.nsfsport.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Narcosys said:

No where near that many are using steroids. Protein shake supplements, vitamin packs, pre-workouts, etc do not count in my book as "juicing."

To many act like everybody is taking something if they even have the slightest muscle mass.

Lol do you even lift?

6 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I tried to edit my post but couldn't figure out. I can tell you're not a serious lifter with your protein shakes comment. It's all good bro. I'm just letting you know the body can only do so much. Especially as you age. There's always going to be a way to get that extra edge. 

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

How does he get 4 weeks and Winston only get 3?

NFL logic

17 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I disagree here reason being if I am coaching and I knew then I am not giving Turbin 1st team reps.  That would seem to be common sense coaching 101.

Well Marlon is recovering from surgery and the other guys aside from Michael are rookies

2 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

How does he get 4 weeks and Winston only get 3?

33 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

NFL logic

The NFL rules state a PES positive test is 4 games.  Period. No wiggle room. It is either positive, or not.

Domestic violence is 6 games. (Ray Rice Rule) But... can go more, or less depending upon 'mitigating circumstances'. 

Apparently, the investigation uncovered some issue(s), and Winston then explained his side. The NFL negotiated a lower sentence based upon all of that, and the promise from Winston not to appeal and serve it immediately.  Also, further violations could result in a lifetime ban.

The punishment for Substance abuse is different than PES (different policy), and marijuana different (more lenient, IE: it takes four positive or “missed” tests, which are treated the same as positive tests, to trigger a four-game suspension when the drug in question is marijuana) than other non PES substances.

This is an NFL - NFLPA agreement.

PES and Substance of Abuse-

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Active Players/Drug_SOA_Policy_9-29-14.pdf

Personal Conduct-

https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

I tried to edit my post but couldn't figure out. I can tell you're not a serious lifter with your protein shakes comment. It's all good bro. I'm just letting you know the body can only do so much. Especially as you age. There's always going to be a way to get that extra edge. 

No I'm not an Olympic lifter, but I work out everyday, structured plan, eat right, take protein like you should, casein at night, amino acid supplements. I'm not looking to get huge, but I've worked out plenty with professional and amateur body builders who have won competitions. At 34 im able to bench 80 over my body weight and I'm happy with that. 

But low back and shoulder issues are catching up. Im just commenting that every time someone pops for PEDs everyone seems to be like 'oh I can totally tell he was juicing, nobody can get that big without roids'. Or something similar to that affect.

• Like 1