Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have Signed Former Eagles LB Najee Goode

TKnight24

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

I just don’t get the instant ST or camp body label 

Wasn’t Lorenzo Alexander mostly a ST guy then got playing time for the Bills and had like 12 sacks? 

Exactly, while the Tim Jennings & Jerry Hughes of the World may be the exception rather than the rule, they are still both examples that Colts fans should be familiar with of players who can improve under the right situation.

I'll never understand the automatic "camp body" labeling, or the immediate writing off of a player. Sometimes, around here, its even done with such conviction, it seems even crazier.

Cue up the " Some men just want to see the world burn"  meme...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

I just don’t get the instant ST or camp body label 

Wasn’t Lorenzo Alexander mostly a ST guy then got playing time for the Bills and had like 12 sacks? 

Yes....   Alexander was mostly a ST guy.   But he had played roughly 8-10 years and had enjoyed some modest success in limited appearances.   Alexander had roughly 10 sacks in his career prior to blowing up.

Goode has FOUR STARTS in SIX years.

What is on his resume that would give anyone the idea that Goode is a key signing that's about to blow up?   Why would you think that Goode is Alexander 2.0?  

I'm not calling him a camp guy.   I'm calling him depth and a STs guy.   I don't know why anyone would project more?

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The only hole that's getting filled with the Goode signing is Special Teams and roster depth.    

As as I noted in another post four starts in six years doesn't say starter.   It says roster depth.

Nothing that was done today changes anything about the draft.   Ballard could take Edmunds or Smith in the first if he wanted.   There are other candidates in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Dont get * with me because you boldly told everyone how little you know.   There were a good number of other posters who said what I said too.    Your mistake isn't my fault.   I simply corrected you.    That's what happens in message boards.    Learn to deal with it.

I'm not too upset because you spray your opinion around, but after 60 years of being an NFL fan I'm not too certain I require correction from the likes of you. Overbearing people do tend to be common on message boards. There are posts on this topic that agree with me also, and 3 of his 4 starts were last year which indicates progress. Everything I said is reasonable and common in the NFL so take your big ego and live with it.

26 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I'm not too upset because you spray your opinion around, but after 60 years of being an NFL fan I'm not too certain I require correction from the likes of you. Overbearing people do tend to be common on message boards. There are posts on this topic that agree with me also, and 3 of his 4 starts were last year which indicates progress. Everything I said is reasonable and common in the NFL so take your big ego and live with it.

You've been a football fan for 60 years?       Seriously?

As for people who agree with you.     Well, I've been saying it for the last 5 years.    This is a passionate fan base,  it's not a knowledgeable fan base.   The fact that you think Goode has 2nd round value and changes the dynamic of what we hope to do in the draft and you STILL think that's a reasonable viewpoint tells me what I need to know.

I'll try to ignore you in the future.     A complete waste of my time.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

You've been a football fan for 60 years?       Seriously?

All this time and you've managed to learn absolutely nothing.

As for people who agree with you.     Well, I've been saying it for the last 5 years.    This is a passionate fan base,  it's not a knowledgeable fan base.   The fact that you think Goode has 2nd round value and changes the dynamic of what we hope to do in the draft and you STILL think that's a reasonable viewpoint tells me what I need to know.

I'll try to ignore you in the future.     A complete waste of my time.

Now, you've trashed the entire message board as not being knowledgeable. Would that we all had your gifts. Please ignore me in future as I find your methods insulting and often foolish.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not calling him a camp guy.   I'm calling him depth and a STs guy.   I don't know why anyone would project more?

Is there a difference between "projecting more" & simply not understanding the need of constantly throwing around restrictive labels that often carry an air of negativity towards newly acquired players?

2 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Is there a difference between "projecting more" & simply not understanding the need of constantly throwing around restrictive labels that often carry an air of negativity towards newly acquired players?

Well...   we had one projection that thought he could turn into the next Litenzo Alexander and we had another projection that claimed Goide has second round value and that this is an indication of Ballard shifting draft strategy.

All I did was explain why there's no reason for either of those views to have any credibility.   Which is as close to reality as I could state...

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm happy with the signing...   special teams aces are always good to have.

But if Najee Goode winds up starting for the Colts, odds are that means we've either suffered many injuries....   or we've had a bad, BAD off-season.   He's played SIX seasons and has FOUR starts.  That says special teams.   It doesn't say promising starter.

Sorry.

Don’t be sorry. I came in to say the exact same thing. While it’s easy to get excited about a signing of one of our weakest position groups, we have to be realistic. This is an almost 30 year old special teams player, with 4 career starts. He can definitely provide some depth at LB, but this isn’t someone you expect to come in and be a good starter.

• Thanks 1

Ultimately, it may be true that Goode will always be a special teamer, but maybe not. A true Ballard selection in that he has a potential upside, and get the backers some help. My statement on his draft round value is an inexact science, the results of which won't be known immediately. I have to say that what ever round it projects to, the principal that a good pick gives the GM better options still applies.  We can agree and disagree civilly I hope. 

It's not unfair or a knock to call this guy ST's/depth. I wish we'd go out and sign more ST lifers, that's what makes a great ST.

Actually I'd say it's unfair to Goode to have this idea that he'll come here and make this huge jump. History, and lots of Eagles fans, says this guy isn't very good on defense. Now he could very well start just based on the fact that we're so thin at LB, but IMO he pretty much is what he is at this point.

17 hours ago, bleevit said:

Now, you've trashed the entire message board as not being knowledgeable. Would that we all had your gifts. Please ignore me in future as I find your methods insulting and often foolish.

I'm sorry you think I've trashed the "entire message board"....     I'm not and this isn't the first time I've said this and I don't get much push-back on it.

There is a segment of our community that is only interested in their opinion....   they want to present it and debate it.  

They're not interested in facts,  or stats,  or information.    Opinions only.

That's their right,  but I don't find it particularly helpful.     Again,  passionate,  big fans,  but not very informed.

By the way,  I think most of those people know who they are.    They know who I'm speaking of.

And everyone else here,   they know I'm NOT speaking about them.     Remember,  I'm the poster who at the end of January called the month the best month of posting in the nearly six years I've been a member here.    That's a pretty big compliment.    

I spend more time here on this website,  than I do on any other site,  including my Stanford websites.    Why?    Because I enjoy myself here with this community.    I'm only speaking of the Bad Apples here.

And by the way,  I'm well aware that I bother those folks as much as they bother me.    And I'm OK with that.....

29 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

At this point, I wouldn't write Goode off as strictly a backup or special teams player... Considering how lousy our current group of LBs are.

They're NOT going to be lousy in about three and a half weeks...   things are going to change before the month is done.

Then, we might add another legitimate LB like Hooper who we had in for a visit in March.   Maybe we sign someone like him in May and he takes the Mingo spot.

I think Ballard will do all he can to make Eberflus a happy DC....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

They're NOT going to be lousy in about three and a half weeks...   things are going to change before the month is done.

Then, we might add another legitimate LB like Hooper who we had in for a visit in March.   Maybe we sign someone like him in May and he takes the Mingo spot.

I think Ballard will do all he can to make Eberflus a happy DC....

I've been hoping things would change and the LBs would not be lousy for 20 years.

34 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I've been hoping things would change and the LBs would not be lousy for 20 years.

Believe me....    I hear you...    and I feel your pain.     I really do.

But Ballard believes in a strong defense.    He was brought in to address it.    It's been over-looked for five years of Grigson.

We currently have NINE draft picks.    We may get more.     On offense, we need only to spend three picks.   A guard,  a RB and a WR.     So, we can spend all the other picks on defense.     And just as we took two corners and a safety last year,   we can take at least two linebackers this year's draft.

So, if we take Edmunds or Smith, then I'd expect another to be taken no later than Round 5 and maybe sooner.

If we take someone else in the first (but not a LB) then I'd expect a LB in the 2nd and another around R 5.

Ballard WILL do this.     He wants a fast, highly skilled, very destructive defense that runs and hits and blows things up. He wants to force turnovers.     We don't have a lot of that on our current defense and I don't see him hanging Eberflus out to dry.    Our defense can seriously improve over the course of the regular season.   

I see three picks on offense (OL, RB, WR) and the rest on defense. 

I think you'll be happy by May.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry you think I've trashed the "entire message board"....     I'm not and this isn't the first time I've said this and I don't get much push-back on it.

There is a segment of our community that is only interested in their opinion....   they want to present it and debate it.  

They're not interested in facts,  or stats,  or information.    Opinions only.

That's their right,  but I don't find it particularly helpful.     Again,  passionate,  big fans,  but not very informed.

By the way,  I think most of those people know who they are.    They know who I'm speaking of.

And everyone else here,   they know I'm NOT speaking about them.     Remember,  I'm the poster who at the end of January called the month the best month of posting in the nearly six years I've been a member here.    That's a pretty big compliment.    

I spend more time here on this website,  than I do on any other site,  including my Stanford websites.    Why?    Because I enjoy myself here with this community.    I'm only speaking of the Bad Apples here.

And by the way,  I'm well aware that I bother those folks as much as they bother me.    And I'm OK with that.....

Okay, since that post at least attempted reason, I'll try this one more time. Yes, yes, yes, I'm aware that Najee Goode has been a career special teamer. He has only 4 starts in the years that he has been in the league. That being said, 3 of those 4 were last year on a Superbowl team. That indicates development and improvement that leaves a potential for continuing growth as a starter. Probably not, but that with his ST skillset make him a good pick. I'll admit 2nd round value may be a stretch but maybe not. That's Chris Ballard's trick. He leaves room for a win, which is always a good idea. It is not opinion. It is observation and evaluation of known facts that I presumed were the basis for this forum.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2018 at 7:10 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Back up and special teams filler.  Yawn...is it time for the draft yet?  Wake me when it's time to try and add some actual play makers to this roster.

ST player, depth, cheap.... still no starters but lots of cheap depth....  going to be a long 2 to 3 years

• Like 1