Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL insiders say butler will end up with colts

I personally don’t think we would need him other then to add competition and depth. But he will command a good price so he would have to start. 

I want ant to see our young secondary to grow .... and how much better they will be with Chubb rushing. :rock:

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yes but FG was on the down side of his production at 34 while Butler is 28

Agree. I just question his character. Idk it could be me but he seems like he has the idgaf attitude. D.Butt is a vet but I hope that ship has sailed too. Farley strikes me as a good leader.

55 minutes ago, buccolts said:

OP didn't clarify.

My bad thought everyone would know what butler is was talking about. 

I agree he would bring good vet exp. but, there has to be a reason he didn’t play in the SB, BB isn’t stupid ..... he is going to cost a ton to bring in when I think we have bigger holes to fill up with our cap.

27 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

My bad thought everyone would know what butler is was talking about. 

I agree he would bring good vet exp. but, there has to be a reason he didn’t play in the SB, BB isn’t stupid ..... he is going to cost a ton to bring in when I think we have bigger holes to fill up with our cap.

We have Darius Butler on our own team, who is also a FA, it could have confused folks. :) 

If I am paying a lot of money for Malcolm Butler, I'd rather pay Melvin that money and keep him.

4 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I personally don’t think we would need him other then to add competition and depth. But he will command a good price so he would have to start. 

I want ant to see our young secondary to grow .... and how much better they will be with Chubb rushing. :rock:

is there a link?  Was this on TV?

2 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

is there a link?  Was this on TV?

It’s on my espn app .... I had it flash through notifications. I’m sure it’s just speculation because we had a horrible pass defense last year. But we r young and need more time to gel, plus a healthy hooker and Chubb lol

We need to re-sign Melvin AND bring in a FA like Butler or EJ Gaines. Then we'll have Wilson and Hairston fighting for the nickel spot. If Wilson proves he's ready to be a stud starting CB we have a couple years like Denver has had with Harris Jr, Talib, and Roby.

11 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

He'd beef up the secondary but would we really want him? There are better options on the market(Johnson, Fuller), if we don't re-sign Melvin, and it's hard to say how much of his benching is on himself or Belichick. 

Not many mention Kyle Fuller. He's a really good young CB who would fit us perfectly. The only thing is the injury issues. If not for that he'd be one of the bigger names on the market.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Not many mention Kyle Fuller. He's a really good young CB who would fit us perfectly. The only thing is the injury issues. If not for that he'd be one of the bigger names on the market.

And he has the transition tag on him.  The Bears can match any offer.

35 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We need to re-sign Melvin AND bring in a FA like Butler or EJ Gaines. Then we'll have Wilson and Hairston fighting for the nickel spot. If Wilson proves he's ready to be a stud starting CB we have a couple years like Denver has had with Harris Jr, Talib, and Roby.

This!!!    injuries happen too.  we need more than 2 outside CBs.

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

It’s on my espn app .... I had it flash through notifications. I’m sure it’s just speculation because we had a horrible pass defense last year. But we r young and need more time to gel, plus a healthy hooker and Chubb lol

:)     You said............

Yep, I'm 10.

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yes they can match but teams can structure deals to make difficult for them to do so.  It has happened a lot in the past. So I wouldn't rule it out entirely.  

They have about 65M in cap space. They can match everything thrown at them.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Fuller is the guy I have wanted...and I think Ballard would have heavily pursued him. But the Bears just gave him the transition tag, so it's going to take a big deal to get him away from CHI.

2 hours ago, Finball said:

They have about 65M in cap space. They can match everything thrown at them.

They also could have paid him and not let him get a tag.  They probably have their money targeted at other different positions like WR among a few others.  There are other cheaper CB's available including our own Melvin.  We shall see.

Can someone tell me why so may posters are fine with us ONLY re-signing Melvin and not anther top tier corner ? Melvin was a freaking revelation last season. I mean he was great. I love the guy. And I hated him before this past season lmao ... And I think he's here to stay. As in how well he played. I think he's just like many other players. It just took him a few years to put it together. But yeah. I mean in a perfect scenario we could take that chance only re-sign Melvin. Then Quincy Wilson ball out, breaks out and becomes a beast, as well as Hairston becoming a very good nickel CB. But with the cap rom we have why take that chance ? I don't want 1 really good CB, and 2 average ones. We need to bring in Butler or EJ Gaines who is pretty underrated btw. Melvin, Gaines, Wilson, and Hairston gives us a great group of young CB's, and really solid depth.

20 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Can someone tell me why so may posters are fine with us ONLY re-signing Melvin and not anther top tier corner ? Melvin was a freaking revelation last season. I mean he was great. I love the guy. And I hated him before this past season lmao ... And I think he's here to stay. As in how well he played. I think he's just like many other players. It just took him a few years to put it together. But yeah. I mean in a perfect scenario we could take that chance only re-sign Melvin. Then Quincy Wilson ball out, breaks out and becomes a beast, as well as Hairston becoming a very good nickel CB. But with the cap rom we have why take that chance ? I don't want 1 really good CB, and 2 average ones. We need to bring in Butler or EJ Gaines who is pretty underrated btw. Melvin, Gaines, Wilson, and Hairston gives us a great group of young CB's, and really solid depth.

We have a ton of Cap space so I have no idea why some people in here would be happy with just Hitchens and not Norwell. I say why not both? Everyone in the media is convinced that Norwell be a Giant. Why? We can offer Norwell more money actually. Is it a NY thing where the media just wants him there? I have never heard Norwell once say he wanted to play in NY. Ok that was off topic but to your question, yes we could sign both Melvin and Butler with no problem. We have 65,598,001 dollars in Cap Space. If there is any year to go for signing 3 or 4 big names this would be it to get back on track + we have the money to do so.

By the way the Giants only have 16,747,780 dollars in Cap Space. So yeah we can offer Norwell much more than they can regarding Norwell.

I'm a big great pass rush along with shutdown corners creates a very god D. As are a lot of people. But do you guys realize just how good our D could be by bringing back Melvin. Then signing one of Malcolm Butler or EJ Gaines at CB. Drafting Chubb, who IMO is a day 1 game wrecking fool. 10 or more sacks, all over ESPN (LOL) in year 1 type superstar. Something similar to what Bosa did a couple years ago. But yeah so Sheard (who should be a better pass rusher in the 4-3) should give us 8-10 sacks. Simon but I almost think he starts at OLB and is used in a variety of ways but still a lot of opportunities to rush. Then Basham's improvement in year 2. And he should be better in the 4-3. Who knows what he'll do but I'm expecting a good step forward at least. Plus whoever else we sign/draft. I'd say we bring in another EDGE rusher besides just drafting Chubb.

But to sum it up. Melvin and signing Butler or EJ Gaines and then drafting Chubb gives us a really good pass rush and a really good group of corner's. AKA. A really good pass rush and shutdown corners. We should see a MUCH better defense next season. Like night and day.

13 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I'm a big great pass rush along with shutdown corners creates a very god D. As are a lot of people. But do you guys realize just how good our D could be by bringing back Melvin. Then signing one of Malcolm Butler or EJ Gaines at CB. Drafting Chubb, who IMO is a day 1 game wrecking fool. 10 or more sacks, all over ESPN (LOL) in year 1 type superstar. Something similar to what Bosa did a couple years ago. But yeah so Sheard (who should be a better pass rusher in the 4-3) should give us 8-10 sacks. Simon but I almost think he starts at OLB and is used in a variety of ways but still a lot of opportunities to rush. Then Basham's improvement in year 2. And he should be better in the 4-3. Who knows what he'll do but I'm expecting a good step forward at least. Plus whoever else we sign/draft. I'd say we bring in another EDGE rusher besides just drafting Chubb.

But to sum it up. Melvin and signing Butler or EJ Gaines and then drafting Chubb gives us a really good pass rush and a really good group of corner's. AKA. A really good pass rush and shutdown corners. We should see a MUCH better defense next season. Like night and day.

You know at the beginning of this thread I didn’t want butler thinking he would cost too much to sign .... but, after reading some of these replies I am actually falling on the train of bringing in a vet like Gaines or butler to bring up the young secondary. Now add a healthy hooker, butler, Melvin, and Wilson with drafting Chubb our def has just become top 10 easy. Now bring in Luck if he becomes like he was b4 the injuries .... plus signing some FA linemen we r good to go! 

Sign me up! I’m on board.