Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

And Barkley's first 40 time is.........

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still maintain we can be in a very good place going with Penny in round 3. I believe we did pretty darn good with the last back we got from San Diego State right?

I'd still stay with Chubb and do Penny in RD 3.

He is a great player. I will be fine if the Colts draft Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson with the third pick. All will be tremendously helpful to this team as it is rebuilt. 

My order of personal want is 

1 - oline

2 - pass rush/DE

3 - Back 7 on D

4 - WR

21 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

When was the last time any football player had to run a 40 without an impediment of some kid nd

Here I found you an article. Maybe it will help you see the importance.

www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14837586/todd-mcshay-guide-every-combine-drill-nfl-draft

23 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

When was the last time any football player had to run a 40 without an impediment of some kid nd

Yeah I hate it when a running back turns a routine carry into a touchdown from 70 yards away.  Stupid speed.  Especially for an indoor team, on carpet.  Speed isn't useful at all.  I think the Colts should just resign Gore for another 4 year deal so we know there won't be any run longer than 20 yards.  I love second and 8 and third and 6.  Stringing together 32 play drives all afternoon.  That's where it's at. 

1 minute ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Yeah I hate it when a running back turns a routine carry into a touchdown from 70 yards away.  Stupid speed.  Especially for an indoor team, on carpet.  Speed isn't useful at all.  I think the Colts should just resign Gore for another 4 year deal so we know there won't be any run longer than 20 yards.  I love second and 8 and third and 6.  Stringing together 32 play drives all afternoon.  That's where it's at. 

Never said that 

I have issue s with using the 40as the reason to draft someone

I wont complain if they get Barkley, but I think its wiser to go with Chubb. Penny is bringing many of these same attributes everyone's raving about with Barkley. The rushing and the receiving. A lot of the production is similar if not better. Hes just being discriminated against because he plays for SD State primarily. Not as good of a blocker as Barkley but that can be addressed.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wont complain if they get Barkley, but I think its wiser to go with Chubb. Penny is bringing many of these same attributes everyone's raving about with Barkley. The rushing and the receiving. A lot of the production is similar. Hes just being discriminated against because he plays for SD State primarily.

I agree.

I think Penny ran an unofficial 4.43.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wont complain if they get Barkley, but I think its wiser to go with Chubb. Penny is bringing many of these same attributes everyone's raving about with Barkley. The rushing and the receiving.

I liked your post because you brought up Penny, Not that I would be mad with Chubb at 3 but would rather have Nelson. BTW..Barkley, Chubb, Nelson.. We are going to get a good football player ! I really don't see how anyone could be upset about the pick. 

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

Barkley was just talking to a Giants scout/exec/coach after the workout/testing... 

I think the Giants will be his team. I feel strong in saying that because of Shurmur and them having Peterson in Minnesota. I'd say different if they hadn't said how confident they are in Eli.

Just now, krunk said:

I think the Giants will be his team. I feel strong in saying that because of Shurmur and them having Peterson in Minnesota. I'd say different if they hadn't said how confident they are in Eli.

Yeah. And they also drafted Dalvin Cook last year the first chance they got. They actually traded up to get him! Shurmur's team (I don't know if under his influence) valued 3 downs RB highly. 

46 minutes ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

I’m not saying I want him at 3, but I wouldn’t be mad either. Just thought this was pretty impressive 

AEB02779-B6F4-4FDA-9E33-AC84F61A09A3.png

I seen this earlier. His numbers are impressive no doubt. But they kinda cherry picked the comparisons IMO. 

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Kinda why I said that I cannot believe  he ran at all

He definitely had nothing to gain by running the 40, but some guys just love the process.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Never said that 

I have issue s with using the 40as the reason to draft someone

It should never be THE reason you draft someone (ala the Al Davis Raiders), but it should absolutely be used to confirm any questions you have with someone's tape. The 10 yd split also being a very telling portion, as it has to do with their explosiveness and acceleration.

Take Ballage for example. He could have run a 4.40 today and I still wouldn't want to draft him because his tape tells me he isn't a good RB, just an athlete.

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

Barkley was just talking to a Giants scout/exec/coach after the workout/testing... 

Any team in the top 20 is insane if they don't. You never know how things end up going on draft day and you need to make sure you've been able to do your homework on everyone that could fall to you.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Shurmur wasn't the OC when Peterson was there and Rick Spielman has way more to do with who they draft than Shurmur. Although it's always a possibility, I wouldn't read too much into that.

For reference, this is Shurmur's only draft as a HC (no RB's):

ROUND PLAYER POSITION UNIVERSITY NOTES
1 Taylor, Phil DT Baylor Pick 21 (From Kansas City)
2 Sheard, Jabaal DE Pittsburgh Pick 37
2 Little, Greg WR North Carolina Pick 59 (From Cowboys Atlanta)
4 Cameron, Jordan TE USC Pick 102
4 Marecic, Owen FB Stanford Pick 124 (From Atlanta)
5 Skrine, Buster DB Chatanooga Pick 137
5 Pinkston, Jason OT Pittsburgh Pick 150 (From NY Giants via Minnesota)
7 Hagg, Eric DB Nebraska Pick 248

40 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I agree it’s risky, but Penn St.’s offensive line was horrendously bad. Ours isn’t good, but we opened holes for Gore and Mack. 

Maybe it was all those 8 man boxes they were facing... :sarcasm:

You're overly exaggerating their "horrendous" OL. Yes they had some issues when their LT went down in the Ohio State game, but for the most part of the season they were fine. That offense was well above average, and that doesn't happen with a "horrendous" OL, and not in the Big Ten.

If there is a knock on Barkley's game, it's that he's not a really good between the tackles runner. He's phenomenal in space, and getting to the edge, but we all know how much more difficult that is in the pro's. He's a heckuva football player, but watch the film - not the highlights, he's not a hard guy to bring down. 

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Maybe it was all those 8 man boxes they were facing... :sarcasm:

You're overly exaggerating their "horrendous" OL. Yes they had some issues when their LT went down in the Ohio State game, but for the most part of the season they were fine. That offense was well above average, and that doesn't happen with a "horrendous" OL, and not in the Big Ten.

If there is a knock on Barkley's game, it's that he's not a really good between the tackles runner. He's phenomenal in space, and getting to the edge, but we all know how much more difficult that is in the pro's. He's a heckuva football player, but watch the film - not the highlights, he's not a hard guy to bring down. 

I trust Ballard will make the right decision at the end of the day. The good RBs always improve from college to NFL. If Ballard doesn’t want to risk it, Chubb is always gonna be there, doubt Giants take him, especially not the Browns

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah. And they also drafted Dalvin Cook last year the first chance they got. They actually traded up to get him! Shurmur's team (I don't know if under his influence) valued 3 downs RB highly. 

I don't think the Cook selection compares. They came up seven spots to get a falling talent at #41, and it only cost them a 4th rounder. I believe they had two already. That's a world of difference from drafting a guy at #2 overall.