Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your opinion on Eberflus

BProland85

I think with us mostly likely looking to hire an offensive minded HC, possibly Frank Reich, I for one would love having a badass DC to really turn this defense around. My question is, what do you think of Eberflus, and could he potentially be that, or just another Ted Monachino type?

I want a fast, physical, and smart defense to beat the snot out of the likes of NE, and I hope he can bring that being he most likely will be the main voice of the defense. 

I like that he's worked in a number of different styles of defense (34 under Rob Ryan and 43 in Dallas).  I also like that Dallas had been incorporating some of Seattle's concepts into their defense the past couple of years while Eberflus was there.  Hopefully that vast experience with different schemes will allow him to cater the defense to the players rather than finding players that fit "his" defense.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think with us mostly likely looking to hire an offensive minded HC, possibly Frank Reich, I for one would love having a badass DC to really turn this defense around. My question is, what do you think of Eberflus, and could he potentially be that, or just another Ted Monachino type?

I want a fast, physical, and smart defense to beat the snot out of the likes of NE, and I hope he can bring that being he most likely will be the main voice of the defense. 

Impossible question to answer

He is innovative and he players react to him well. I would expect to see as many changes to our defense and many new faces to bring it to respectability. What if he had a respectable defense all those years Manning was lighting it up. Its makes me sick, Thank God for Bob Sanders and Booger McFarland 

He is a bum, Ballard is a bum, Irsay is a bum, this franchise is a dumpster fire, we are getting sloppy seconds for a HC, the DC will be no different. I'd rather go for crazy and strike out than go with solid and surround them with talent for consistency. #crazyforumcomments 

:thmup:

3 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He is innovative and he players react to him well. I would expect to see as many changes to our defense and many new faces to bring it to respectability. What if he had a respectable defense all those years Manning was lighting it up. Its makes me sick, Thank God for Bob Sanders and Booger McFarland 

How did you deduce he is innovative? He has been a linebacker coach

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

How did you deduce he is innovative? He has been a linebacker coach

He develops great blitzing and twisting schemes. His players rave about him. As a DC we will see but a very solid LB coach

A friend of mine in Dallas said he is always active on the sidelines and loves to coach

Just my opinion dude

Just now, indyagent17 said:

He develops great blitzing and twisting schemes. His players rave about him. As a DC we will see but a very solid LB coach

A friend of mine in Dallas said he is always active on the sidelines and loves to coach

Just my opinion dude

You have an opinion based on no data.  As a linebacker coach,  he isn't drawing up the schemes

29 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You have an opinion based on no data.  As a linebacker coach,  he isn't drawing up the schemes

Although technically true considering he wasn't the DC, he was also the "passing game coordinator" so you better believe he was in the same meetings as the DC regarding game-plans and schemes that are being employed to defend against the pass. Also, he was also considered by Dallas to be the heir to their current DC. We just got lucky that their DC didn't retire this past year and that he wanted to jump out of that shadow and make his own with the Colts.

Just wait, he will be good. Linebackers is our last weak spot in the defense (apart from a star pass-rusher which we can grab in Chubb). What better to fix that then one of the most well regarded LB coaches in the game and provide him with a chance to transform the linebacker corp with players that he loves and wants? Bring in Hitchens, grab a 2nd or 3rd round MLB and add him to Simon and you got yourself a high-upside LB corp and the complete overhaul of the weakest part of our defense. 

I wanted Holcomb...but of course he followed Wilks to AZ.

But I am cautiously optimistic with Eberflus.  

However, I will know more when I see what types of players are brought in. That will at least confirm my initial optimism. 

But we really won't know until we see how the defense performs.

I like what I know about Eberflus. He's heavily involved in game planning and design, he's been very hands on with their entire coverage units for a couple of years as the passing game coordinator, and he's worked with a lot of good people. 

I was hoping for a defensive guru -- a Wade Phillips kind of guy, for instance -- but for a new candidate, he is impressive. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Correct. At this stage in the game, we are going on what "others" have told "others" about him. 

His was hired, because people thought he was worthy. That is the logical step before anyone gets hired/promoted. 

How good of a coach he is... well that is yet to be determined, and we will find out over the next couple of years or so. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

It may not be Data but data is'nt everything I found this  Ryan & Marinelli  & Eberflus  had a say in the D & Eberfus was not simply a linebackers coach ,

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4765121/challenge-awaits-cowboys-as-they-look-to-replace-matt-eberflus

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

are you serious???  LB coaches are always involved in schemes, Twisting, Stunting, Blitzing and the like they are in the planning meetings and at practices. I guess you have never been in a team meeting where others give good advice and its taken.

I’m not sold yet but, I think he’s got potential.  Ballard mentioned yesterday that we would be trying to move towards a hybrid of the Dungy style and Seattle style (the way I understood it, correct me if wrong).  He’s not TeddyM who didn’t seem like he’d put a foot up a players but if they weren’t performing unless it happened to be on special teams in which case he sits probably out second best corner after Vontae was cut for the majority of the season...

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

It may not be Data but data is'nt everything I found this  Ryan & Marinelli  & Eberflus  had a say in the D & Eberfus was not simply a linebackers coach ,

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4765121/challenge-awaits-cowboys-as-they-look-to-replace-matt-eberflus

His resume is outstanding for a first time NFL coordinator.  As long as his fine attention to details doesn’t keep him from being creative.  With his experience coaching LBers in Ryans and Phillips aggressive defenses I doubt that will happen.

1 minute ago, USAFHoosier said:

His resume is outstanding for a first time NFL coordinator.  As long as his fine attention to details doesn’t keep him from being creative.  With his experience coaching LBers in Ryans and Phillips aggressive defenses I doubt that will happen.

I think he is just the man for the job Ryan & Marinelli are no slouches he basicly apprenticed under them & is better for it from what I read .

He will be hungry & motivating & teaching our young players this is a very big deal & a great hire by Chris Ballard .

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I don't know enough about him but I will by week 4

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I like what I know about Eberflus. He's heavily involved in game planning and design, he's been very hands on with their entire coverage units for a couple of years as the passing game coordinator, and he's worked with a lot of good people. 

I was hoping for a defensive guru -- a Wade Phillips kind of guy, for instance -- but for a new candidate, he is impressive. 

Wade Phillips would have been great as our DC. Perfect example of someone who should always be a coordinator and never a head coach.  Sounds like another coach we luckily didn't get to know too well.

17 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Good article.  It points out that he was not only the LB coach, but also the pass D coordinator.  He basically handled the back 7.  

If if you look at the Dallas D, except for Sean Lee, that back 7 isn’t exceptional.  Good players coached well.