Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dontari Poe

coltsdan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate to say it, we should trade Freeney to the Pats for one of their first round picks. Pats could use freeney in their new 4-3 schemes and we could possibly have a shot to get this guy. He's a beast and if we had a shot to get Luck and Poe in the first round this year then it would be an extremely impressive first year draft for Grigson and crew

Amazing measurables, but here is why he still has a good chance to be available when the Colts draft in the 2nd round.

While Poe didn’t play quite like a top-20 pick in college

He was given a 2nd round grade by the draft advisory council and they are usually very accurate.

This happens every year, some player has outstanding measurables and people claim his stock is going to rise. Very rarely does it rise to the degree that many people think.

Go with Brandon Thompson at No.34 or best available WR at No.34, I would prefer the first unless both Wayne and Garcon leave.

My best scenario is however, trade down out of No.34.

A lot of teams have given up their first round picks - like Falcons, Saints, and Raiders (who do not pick till round 5). If a team like the Falcons or Saints came up to us and gave us a first round pick for our No.34, would you do it if the guy you want is not there? If it is the Raiders, I would do it. Not for the Falcons or Saints though, given the likelihood of where Raiders may draft next year compared to the Saints or Falcons. But if I get a future 1st and current 3rd from the Falcons or Saints, I personally would consider it.

If I can get a trade with the Eagles for 34 and 65 in exchange for picks 46 and 51, we can still find good value there, IMO. That is my ideal scenario.

The only way we get him is if say we trade the #1 pick to Cleveland for the #4 and #22 pick this year and their #1 for next year (likely at 10-12). Obviously this won't happen. It is feasible we keep Peyton and draft say Kalil or Blackmon at 4 and take Poe at 22 or package the 22 and 34 to move back up in the teens. That would be the only way...and not likely. Of course we would have an early pick next year when Barkley, Landry Jones, and whoever the next RG3 is next year but there is no way they are passing on Luck. So...no way we are getting Poe. I watched and he did look impressive today. Or...we trade Peyton and take a big cap hit to say like Seattle or Arizona and get him there. Which wouldn't be a good deal in my eyes.

Go with Brandon Thompson at No.34 or best available WR at No.34, I would prefer the first unless both Wayne and Garcon leave.

My best scenario is however, trade down out of No.34.

A lot of teams have given up their first round picks - like Falcons, Saints, and Raiders (who do not pick till round 5). If a team like the Falcons or Saints came up to us and gave us a first round pick for our No.34, would you do it if the guy you want is not there? If it is the Raiders, I would do it. Not for the Falcons or Saints though, given the likelihood of where Raiders may draft next year compared to the Saints or Falcons. But if I get a future 1st and current 3rd from the Falcons or Saints, I personally would consider it.

If I can get a trade with the Eagles for 34 and 65 in exchange for picks 46 and 51, we can still find good value there, IMO. That is my ideal scenario.

I don't think I'd trade out of this draft. It's loaded all over the place, and we need a lot of help at a lot of different positions. I'd trade out of #34 for a later second and a third, but not into next year's draft.

I'd look more at his games against top competition than his combine numbers...

I would agree and that seems to be the mantra Grigs is operating by. But you do look deeper than just his performance against top competition. You look at his technique and his coaching. Was he using excellent technique (well coached) and still not getting it done? Or was he rough around the edges. If the latter, you can definitely coach him up. A lot of facets to player eveluation. One thing is for certain, he has the phydical gifts needed to be a monster NT. So that is out of the way. Now it comes down to brainpower, coaching and execution (or lack thereof).

he wont be there for our 2nd pick...chiefs, pittsburgh or texans may take him before us.

I still believe he's got a shot, but out of the three I see Pittsburgh having the hardest time passing on him. The Texans and Chiefs can afford to pass on him for more important positions, because they are not truly weak at NT. If Casey Hampton retires that is a huge blow to the Steelers so they will almost have no choice to draft poe. If they lose Hampton and Mike Wallace (FA) then there is a better chance we get Poe, because the steelers will need a WR more immediately than they'll need a NT. There still is FA as well and Paul Sioli is still out there.

There were concerns about his stamina, ability, and explosiveness prior to the Combine. He blasted those concerns (and my own doubts) out the window with a phenomenal performance at the Combine. Now he could go as high as 11 to KC. There's no way we get him without trading the Luck pick, which I imagine isn't happening.

Amazing measurables, but here is why he still has a good chance to be available when the Colts draft in the 2nd round.

He was given a 2nd round grade by the draft advisory council and they are usually very accurate.

This happens every year, some player has outstanding measurables and people claim his stock is going to rise. Very rarely does it rise to the degree that many people think.

Well, I hope you're right.... it would be great to land what appears to be a very athletic, if a little raw, NT in Poe at #34.

After years of missing out due to drafting late in each round.... and at times being just plain snake-bitten at the position.... it would be nice to hit a home run at NT for a change, whoever that player is.

But I do think a guy like Poe, who projects as a disruptive inside force with this kind of agility for his size might buck conventional wisdom and past trends. Because the rookie salary cap has so reduced and flattened out financial risk for players in the #15 - #32 slots, that it could make it conducive to teams in the middle to bottom half of the 1st round to perhaps jump his value... especially at that position.

I'd be very happy to be wrong about all this and grab him at #34 though.

I still believe he's got a shot, but out of the three I see Pittsburgh having the hardest time passing on him. The Texans and Chiefs can afford to pass on him for more important positions, because they are not truly weak at NT. If Casey Hampton retires that is a huge blow to the Steelers so they will almost have no choice to draft poe. If they lose Hampton and Mike Wallace (FA) then there is a better chance we get Poe, because the steelers will need a WR more immediately than they'll need a NT. There still is FA as well and Paul Sioli is still out there.

yea and Franklin, which manusky used to coach. I think we might target him for our NT needs since i dont think we are going to get Poe, and as i said Manusky knows him.

yea and Franklin, which manusky used to coach. I think we might target him for our NT needs since i dont think we are going to get Poe, and as i said Manusky knows him.

My only problem with Franklin is he's turning 32 this year I think and I don't see trying to get him over Paul Sioli. While I wouldn't mind either, I'd rather take Sioli since he is younger (Though Sioli is looking for a long term deal, while Franklin might be looking for a 1-2 year deal)

I know alot of people arent going to like what I got to say about this but Peyton is 35-36 and we are clearly rebuilding we need to draft luck trade manning for numerous draft picks, GET POE, Hes a freakin BEAST enough of these smaller players, what happens when smaller defensive lineman collides with larger offensive lineman HE GETS STUCK and goes either backwards or no where, we need corner and maybe safety help as well, Manning is ONE Man build around Poe and freeny and mathis if we still are able to retain them keeping Peyton just for him to compete with his own defense makes no sense WHICH hes had to do since we drafted him, trade him to an immediate superbowl contender, we would obviously be a contender with him bu not superbowl, Poe is a heck of a player we NEED that size

i am fully on board with that.

Trade a very good receiving TE who's basically the #2 receiver and is a game changer for a possible project DT? I say let someone else reach and if they don't, draft him with the 2nd round pick but there might be some really good CBs and other more proven DLs. With having the #1 pick every round, we shouldnt have to trade for drafting position.