Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I trust Ian Rapoport.  Guy works for THE NFL NETWORK...  Who would be more plugged in than him???  To hear him say that Josh McDaniels covets the Titans job was a major disappointment.

‘Belief, was & prefer’ are vague, emotional driven facsimiles 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

And that was real Gangsta the way they covered up the commitment they said they had to him (Mularkey) after the Chiefs win by offering him an "Extension" directly after the Patriots loss and then firing him on the pretense that they couldnt come to an agreement. Of course you cant come to an agreement for an offer that was likely God Awful in the first place! Im sure it was take it or leave it Bucko. I guess he left it and they fired him.

It was all PR...a way to fire him without "firing" him. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Id put some stock into it if Rap Sheet said it.

Exactly.  He did say that the Colts and Giants are still interested...  Don't know if he's ever said for sure that McDaniels covets the Colts job like that.  Then again that could be a Titans executive leaking info like that to Rap...  Regardless, with Robinson being a former Pats employee, you'd have to say that's gives them the inside track.  I personally feel only a healthy Luck could swing this back in our favor.

Titans job is much safer. If McDaniels doesn't want to take a gamble, then he'd choose the Titans.

Just now, Dr. T said:

If we don't already have a gentleman's agreement with McDaniels, then we will soon be hearing that Ballard is interviewing other candidates.

Maybe, but the Colts backup option is Vrabel. They haven't interviewed anyone at all after the initial round.

I really have no idea about anything Vrabel and for me it would be a huge letdown and uninspiring hire. In McDaniels we have seen countless success through the NE offense and the thought of having that scheme in Indy is what sold me as a fan hands down. Right now, it will be telling if Colts stay patient and quiet as they have so far in letting this play out. if word leaks we are taking more interviews then odds are they are worried and McDaniels isn't coming here

Now what?  If the Colts get a strong indication he's going to Tennessee and Vrabel truly is choice #2, why prolong it?  I'm guessing he'll be hired shortly and they will start assembling a staff.  

Get this thing moving.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

The team that it hurts is the NYG since in one weekend they lost 2 candidates 

Luckily for them they have a solid group of candidates still: Shurmur and Wilks, along with a couple others.

Not that we don't either, but Ballard's gonna have to do some work to re-open the search or get more finalists.

19 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Despite the instability, Tennessee is the perfect job for him. He'd do wonders for Mariota. It makes sense for him to go there.

Does it make sense though?? Mariota is a below average quarterback and if reports are to be believed Josh covets coaching Luck.  Also, he wants a stable owner and the optics of what the Titans just did could alarm McDaniels.

Here is a very underwhelming pro Vrable article by Peter King if anyone is interested.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/mike-vrabel-nfl-head-coach-candidate-black-monday-coaching-carousel

I was looking for a reason to warm up to this possibility.  Can't really say I found it here.  Just references to his having played in the NFL before, his youth and his "commanding" presence for whatever that's worth.  IMO...he is very inexperienced and his one year as a DC didn't go so well for a Texan defense decimated by injuries. 

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Does it make sense though?? Mariota is a below average quarterback and if reports are to be believed Josh covets coaching Luck.  Also, he wants a stable owner and the optics of what the Titans just did could alarm McDaniels.

Mariota may be below average, but McDaniels will turn him into a good QB. I doubt he's concerned too much with what the Titans did because they seem to be willing to go all in on him. The Titans have a better status, younger QB, and a better team that may or may not win a SB. Luck's health is still up in the air, so it'd make sense that he chooses the team with a healthy QB rather than take a gamble. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Here is a very underwhelming pro Vrable article by Peter King if anyone is interested.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/mike-vrabel-nfl-head-coach-candidate-black-monday-coaching-carousel

I was looking for a reason to warm up to this possibility.  Can't really say I found it here.  Just references to his having played in the NFL before, his youth and his "commanding" presence for whatever that's worth.  IMO...he is very inexperienced and his one year as a DC didn't go so well for a Texan defense decimated by injuries. 

You actually made a Pro MV argument with the last sentence 

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Not if a former Pats employee Robinson (Titans current GM) fired Mularkey in order to hire him.  I think McDaniels would view that in a positive light and have no issue with it at all.  Plus with them having a relationship he probably figures they would work well together.  If he goes there, it's gonna be on us to shut them down and get them both fired by winning and exposing Mariotta as not that great. 

Why do we like the idea of McDaniels as HC?  Is it because he''s shown himself to be a good HC?  No.  We want Luck in that offense.

Well, Vrabel would presumably bring some form of the same offense, and for all we know could be a better leader/HC.  Might be for the best.

Someone might wanna inform Josh McDaniels that Andrew Luck's backup outperformed Marcus Mariota this year, despite being placed in a much tougher situation.

With that said, it's a self-correcting situation for the Colts.

Think about it.

If McDaniels chooses the hot mess in Tennessee over Andrew Luck, Saquon Barkley, and $80M in capspace to work with, he's basically telling the world he's the same * who flopped in Denver, and the Colts end up dodging a bullet. If he goes with the Colts, well then, maybe he's not.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Why do we like the idea of McDaniels as HC?  Is it because he''s shown himself to be a good HC?  No.  We want Luck in that offense.

Well, Vrabel would presumably bring some form of the same offense, and for all we know could be a better leader/HC.  Might be for the best.

and actually knows what it is like to play in the NFL

Just now, #12. said:

That's a huge assumption that will prove false. vrabel ain't bringing no pats offense here, he couldn't even stop it in practice when playing for the pats much less designing it..Ha!!

39 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would agree with this statement. If he decides to go to Tennessee then I am fine moving forward with Vrabel. He is very well thought of around the league and could get some great coordinators. 

Has ties to some of the top NCAA Programs and NFL Franchises

The Ohio State, Pittsburgh, NE, and KC

5 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

Someone might wanna inform Josh McDaniels that Andrew Luck's backup outperformed Marcus Mariota this year, despite being placed in a much tougher situation.

With that said, it's a self-correcting situation for the Colts.

Think about it.

If McDaniels chooses the hot mess in Tennessee over Andrew Luck, Saquon Barkley, and $80M in capspace to work with, he's basically telling the world he's the same * who flopped in Denver, and the Colts end up dodging a bullet. If he goes with the Colts, well then, maybe he's not.

That's true. I don't think McDaniels and Mariota will take them to a SB. They can be a good team, yes. If he chooses Mariota over Luck, let him make that choice. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

You actually made a Pro MV argument with the last sentence 

Not sure it was a pro MV argument as much as just a recognition that his defense had a lot of injuries.  Statistically they still didn't do anything that would warrant all of this attention he is receiving from NFL teams in my opinion. After only 1 year as a DC for a bad team he is now a hot commodity? You would think an assessment of his abilities would rest on a larger sample size.  I really don't understand it.  I guess having worked with or played for Bill Belichick counts for an awful lot.  Or it's just the next generation of the "good ole boys" network getting their preferential opportunities and breaks.

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

That's a huge assumption that will prove false. vrabel ain't bringing no pats offense here, he couldn't even stop it in practice when playing for the pats much less designing it..Ha!!

Come on, man.

Vrabel caught 12 career TD passes in that offense. lol

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Not sure it was a pro MV argument as much as just a recognition that his defense had a lot of injuries.  Statistically they still didn't do anything that would warrant all of this attention he is receiving from NFL teams in my opinion. After only 1 year as a DC for a bad team he is now a hot commodity? You would think an assessment of his abilities would rest on a larger sample size.  I really don't understand it.  I guess having worked with or played for Bill Belichick counts for an awful lot.  Or it's just the next generation of the "good ole boys" network getting their preferential opportunities and breaks.

He earned that as a model player and NCAA and NFL assistant 

I've stayed away from this subject but I'll say this. I'm indifferent with Mcdaniels I think he's a good OC and possibly could ignite the offense in Indy but it will forever bother me that the horseshoe would have a man who coincidentally has been around most of the recent cheating scandles of the past decade...

So for me... this recent Titans news isn't exactly a bad thing.  Bring in Shurmur and Toub now. 

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

I've stayed away from this subject but I'll say this. I'm indifferent with Mcdaniels I think he's a good OC and possibly could ignite the offense in Indy but it will forever bother me that the horseshoe would have a man who coincidentally has been around most of the recent cheating scandles of the past decade...

So for me... this recent Titans news isn't exactly a bad thing.  Bring in Shurmur and Toub now. 

I have always liked Vrabel myself

9 minutes ago, #12. said:

No way.  Vrabel better have a very good offensive coordinator if he gets the gig.  He darn sure is going to need it.

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

Colts haven't been linked to either Shurmur or Toub. Toub could be hired at any time, but Shurmur is still in the playoffs and there is not indication that the Colts interviewed him.

What this will potentially do is take an awesome, tight llipped search by ballard and turn it into a "Colts had to settle" situation portrayed to rest of Nfl world. It will be suggested the luck injury and irsay owner junk played major part and paint disfunction in an organization that doesn't need it right now