Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay & The Interview Process

Dark Superman

I know a lot of people on here are behind Irsay, but did anyone else notice him at the press conference he and Ballard held a few weeks back? I know he has a past of abusing prescription drugs and such, and I am in no way, shape or form calling the guy out on a possible relapse, but Irsay looked like a complete mess and quite possibly on something. His speech was all over the place, making zero sense, and his eyes didn't even look open during that interview. I know the NFL doesn't drug test the their Owners, GM's, etc, so I guess we will never know, but anyway.

I have a strong feeling Jim Irsay is one of the reasons behind Matt Nagy not signing here. Chris Ballard and Matt Nagy seem to have a lot of respect for each other and have the same mindset when it comes to professional football.  I was shocked that Nagy picked the Trubinski and the Bears over Luck and Ballard's Colts. If Chris Ballard tells Nagy that Andrew Luck will be healthy for the 2018 season, I think Nagy signs immediately. But he didn't and now there are reports that Nagy felt "uncomfortable" during the interview.

Uncomfortable? There's only one person that could make someone feel uncomfortable in Indianapolis and it's not Chris Ballard.

Jim Irsay scared Matt Nagy out of Indianapolis, I just know it.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I know a lot of people on here are behind Irsay, but did anyone else notice him at the press conference he and Ballard held a few weeks back? I know he has a past of abusing prescription drugs and such, and I am in no way, shape or form calling the guy out on a possible relapse, but Irsay looked like a complete mess and quite possibly on something. His speech was all over the place, making zero sense, and his eyes didn't even look open during that interview. I know the NFL doesn't drug test the their Owners, GM's, etc, so I guess we will never know, but anyway.

I have a strong feeling Jim Irsay is one of the reasons behind Matt Nagy not signing here. Chris Ballard and Matt Nagy seem to have a lot of respect for each other and have the same mindset when it comes to professional football.  I was shocked that Nagy picked the Trubinski and the Bears over Luck and Ballard's Colts. If Chris Ballard tells Nagy that Andrew Luck will be healthy for the 2018 season, I think Nagy signs immediately. But he didn't and now there are reports that Nagy felt "uncomfortable" during the interview.

Uncomfortable? There's only one person that could make someone feel uncomfortable in Indianapolis and it's not Chris Ballard.

Doubt Irsay would have been in the first interview. Was understood that Ballard would do initial interviews and then bull Irsay in if there were to be a second interview.

We had an entire thread on this after the press conference, a week and a half ago.

By the way, here's what Polian said recently about Jim Irsay's role in a coaching search:

[Polian] said that during both instances the Colts were looking to hire a new coach (2002 after firing Jim Mora and 2009 after Dungy retired), Irsay was an invaluable resource. Irsay is the most knowledgeable owner he has ever worked, Polian said, and might be the most knowledgeable owner in all of sports.

“Any discussions about coaching personnel and anything about the football team with him took 75 percent less time that it would with someone else who doesn’t have that the football background he does,” Polian said. “He always asked me a lot of great questions and forced me to think and come up with answers that made me come back and say, ‘You know what, your point is well taken. We should do something else.’ He’s different. He’s totally different. He’s got a breadth of football experience that very few owners brings to the table.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/08/nfl-hall-fame-executive-bill-polian-colts-coaching-search-there-no-profile/1013928001/

This idea that Irsay would be a detriment to hiring a coach is -- and pardon my bluntness -- just dumb. 

5 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Meh, maybe...

However, somewhere in another thread someone has posted a video where it is suggested that Nagy was most definitely NOT a front runner for the indy job...

Part of the title of this thread is even "the interview process". As reported, Indy hasn't even interviewed all of the candidates they want to interview yet, with Wilks still yet to interview. So, maybe Nagy simply took the job in Chicago because they offered it to him first & he didn't want to lose out on a chance to be a HC in the NFL, all the while as Indy is still going through with & seemingly sticiking to their "interview process"...

1 minute ago, Dark Superman said:

I believe it was that second interview that drove Nagy out of town.

Nagy was never in town, they interviewed him in KC. He had one interview with the Bears in the morning and one interview with Ballard and the Colts in the afternoon, then had dinner with the Bears that night where they sealed the deal. I doubt Irsay ever even spoke to him.

2 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I believe it was that second interview that drove Nagy out of town.

There's zero indication that Nagy had a second interview with the Colts. The reports are that he interviewed with the Bears, then the Colts the same day. Later that night, he had dinner with the Bears GM, and that sealed the deal.

To speculate about who is the next colts HC or whether Luck will be back 100% is one thing, but to speculate (and offer literally no evidence) about a man relapsing with substance abuse is unfair.

Irsay has always had that odd speech pattern ("erm", "but", etc) and so I don't read too much into it and am prepared to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

We had an entire thread on this after the press conference, a week and a half ago.

By the way, here's what Polian said recently about Jim Irsay's role in a coaching search:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/08/nfl-hall-fame-executive-bill-polian-colts-coaching-search-there-no-profile/1013928001/

This idea that Irsay would be a detriment to hiring a coach is -- and pardon my bluntness -- just dumb. 

Superman > Dark Superman

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's zero indication that Nagy had a second interview with the Colts. The reports are that he interviewed with the Bears, then the Colts the same day. Later that night, he had dinner with the Bears GM, and that sealed the deal.

I heard Pace took Nagy to Lou Malnati's and that sealed the deal. 

Just now, Superman said:

Also, Nagy was probably the least qualified of all the known candidates. If Irsay scared him off... good.

I agree. Lets just hope we pick our guy that can bring this team back to winning again. Who's your guy Superman?

The two franchises likely approached this from different perspectives....

Chicago appears to have been in love with Nagy and was ready to sign him practically no matter what he said in the interview.  

On the other hand, Ballard may have decided to be more direct in the interview process.   May have asked more difficult questions.   Ballard may love Nagy but he may also want him to win the job in the interview process.    If your Matt Nagy, that's a totally different vibe and would explain why he was reportedly not as comfortable with our interview as he was with the Bears.

By the way....   anyone else notice the difference in the two reports about Nagy's interview with the Colts?

The anonymous report from the Chicago reporter claims the Colts were hot for Nagy and wanted him badly.

The report with direct quotes from Nagy's friend, Brad Childress, says Nagy got a totally different feeling in the two interviews.   Chicago's appeared to be warner and friendlier.   Indy's?   Well, not so much.    I'm much more willing to believe the one with quotes from Nagy's good friend than I am from a reporter I don't know attributing info that could have come from the coaches agent to puff up his client.

Good for Ballard.   I don't want a puff ball interview process.   This is serious stuff we're talking about.

Im fine with McDaniels, or Wilks, or Vrabel, or even Toub if he emerges late. Still plenty of good options.

30 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

To speculate about who is the next colts HC or whether Luck will be back 100% is one thing, but to speculate (and offer literally no evidence) about a man relapsing with substance abuse is unfair.

Irsay has always had that odd speech pattern ("erm", "but", etc) and so I don't read too much into it and am prepared to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, me to but he doesn't look good. 

If Irsay is the reason we don’t have Nagy as HC, then I love him even more as an owner.  I never wanted Nagy & I don’t believe the Bear’s  spin that Nagy turned us down...  Please.  He was never offered the Colt’s job to turn us down and if Ballard did offer it to him then I’m beginning to have doubts about Ballard...

42 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Meh, maybe...

However, somewhere in another thread someone has posted a video where it is suggested that Nagy was most definitely NOT a front runner for the indy job...

Part of the title of this thread is even "the interview process". As reported, Indy hasn't even interviewed all of the candidates they want to interview yet, with Wilks still yet to interview. So, maybe Nagy simply took the job in Chicago because they offered it to him first & he didn't want to lose out on a chance to be a HC in the NFL, all the while as Indy is still going through with & seemingly sticiking to their "interview process"...

That's the most likely scenario. 

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

Bill Polian was here during a time when the Colts were winning a lot of games and were practically a lock to make the playoffs every single year.

The Colts haven't been to the playoffs since 2015.

After going through the whole Grigson-Pagano apocalypse, maybe Irsay is becoming a little less patient. He definitely has some medical issues, as he's known to abuse prescription drugs, so maybe the stress of losing is getting the better of him?

I know Irsay will allow Ballard to bring in his people, but that press conference had me shaking my head, as I came away embarrassed to be associated with this guy.

I wish Jim Irsay let Chris Ballard do all the talking, inside and outside of the organization. I love Irsay's passion for the sport, team, and commitment to winning, but he needs to keep his mouth closed and allow Ballard to run the show.

When I watched Matt Nagy's press conference after signing with the Bears, I immediately felt disappointed we didn't get this guy. Listening to Nagy talk reminded me a lot of Colts General Manager, Chris Ballard.

I'm high on both Toub and Nagy, so I was definitely disappointed we didn't end up with Nagy.

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If Irsay is the reason we don’t have Nagy as HC, then I love him even more as an owner.  I never wanted Nagy & I don’t believe the Bear’s  spin that Nagy turned us down...  Please.  He was never offered the Colt’s job to turn us down and if Ballard did offer it to him then I’m beginning to have doubts about Ballard...

I think Nagy and Ballard would be a perfect match here in Indianapolis. I absolutely loved Nagy's press conference with the Bears. He reminds me a lot of Chris Ballard.

I'll give you another hypothetical...    but based on what's being reported, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think this...

The Colts finish their interview and tell Nagy it went well but they have more interviews to do and the process will likely take another week or 10 days to conclude.

Meanwhile, the Bears tell Nagy the interview was great and they're ready to offer him the job right now and need a decision asap.

Which would you pick?   The job offer right now?   Or the wait of another week or so with the real possibility that the job would go to another candidate?

Nagy does what's best for him and so do the Colts.

Also keep in mind, I heard this somewhere somewhat official, is that Nagy would have been one of the few candidates where their current DC could be kept and wouldn't have been changed. Also, Nagy makes much more sense for Trubisky considering all the college Run/Pass option plays he called with Alex Smith in KC when compared to Josh McDaniels who has a whole veteran NFL QB Patriots offensive system in place with Tom Brady for many years which would not be as easy or even right for Trubisky. 

What is the most likely scenario is that Nagy was clearly the first pick (and potentially only decent one) for the Bears and they had basically made the decision to offer it to him before he even stepped in for the interview. Keep in mind that the current GM's lifeline is basically Trubisky after what happened last year with Glennon and the draft. If Trubisky succeeds, then so does the GM. Nagy just makes that more possible all while not having to change defensive coordinators or a system that has been set up for a few years now.

3 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I think Nagy and Ballard would be a perfect match here in Indianapolis. I absolutely loved Nagy's press conference with the Bears. He reminds me a lot of Chris Ballard.

Yeah, I also like a coach that believes you win up front and I think Nagy believes that as does Ballard. 

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

It's likely he is on certain medications prescribed by his doctor for his condition.  Perhaps he was addicted to certain things (not judging just surmising) and he is on products that are helping him that can change ones demeanor.  I think he is either recovered from all that or on the road to it so I don't think there is anything to worry about there.  He is coming up on 59 years old in June so you combine his age with his past and you are going to deteriorate a bit from it all.  I just hope he allows Chris Ballard to call most of the really big shots coming up.

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

:scratch:

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

Matt Childress reported that Nagy spoke to someone two people from the Colts organization. (Irsay, Ballard) And came away feeling "Uncomfortable" which lead him to sign with the Bears.

I like Nagy, but you're right, he's a guy who still needs to establish himself as an NFL coach.

Remember, this is all speculation and just my personal opinion. But I do see your point, Superman.

2 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

It's likely he is on certain medications prescribed by his doctor for his condition.  Perhaps he was addicted to certain things (not judging just surmising) and he is on products that are helping him that can change ones demeanor.  I think he is either recovered from all that or on the road to it so I don't think there is anything to worry about there.  He is coming up on 59 years old in June so you combine his age with his past and you are going to deteriorate a bit from it all.  I just hope he allows Chris Ballard to call most of the really big shots coming up.

Couldn't agree more.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The two franchises likely approached this from different perspectives....

Chicago appears to have been in love with Nagy and was ready to sign him practically no matter what he said in the interview.  

On the other hand, Ballard may have decided to be more direct in the interview process.   May have asked more difficult questions.   Ballard may love Nagy but he may also want him to win the job in the interview process.    If your Matt Nagy, that's a totally different vibe and would explain why he was reportedly not as comfortable with our interview as he was with the Bears.

By the way....   anyone else notice the difference in the two reports about Nagy's interview with the Colts?

The anonymous report from the Chicago reporter claims the Colts were hot for Nagy and wanted him badly.

The report with direct quotes from Nagy's friend, Brad Childress, says Nagy got a totally different feeling in the two interviews.   Chicago's appeared to be warner and friendlier.   Indy's?   Well, not so much.    I'm much more willing to believe the one with quotes from Nagy's good friend than I am from a reporter I don't know attributing info that could have come from the coaches agent to puff up his client.

Good for Ballard.   I don't want a puff ball interview process.   This is serious stuff we're talking about.

Im fine with McDaniels, or Wilks, or Vrabel, or even Toub if he emerges late. Still plenty of good options.

Very well said, CF.

This post was based on my personal opinion, so you can all take my comments with a grain of salt.

I trust Chris Ballard and believe he will bring in the best possible guy to get this team back to the Superbowl.

The anticipation is literally killing me, but patience is a virtue.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'll give you another hypothetical...    but based on what's being reported, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think this...

The Colts finish their interview and tell Nagy it went well but they have more interviews to do and the process will likely take another week or 10 days to conclude.

Meanwhile, the Bears tell Nagy the interview was great and they're ready to offer him the job right now and need a decision asap.

Which would you pick?   The job offer right now?   Or the wait of another week or do with the real possibility that the job would go to another candidate?

Nagy does what's best for him and so do the Colts.

Great point, NCF!

You're right, but I guess we will never know what was said during that meeting between Chris Ballard and Nagy. You bring up a valid point though!