Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Vrabel to be interviewed tomorrow

RockThatBlue

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I was a linebacker/ DE in HS so I have always liked good LB'rs and he sure fits that.  I am thinking he needs a few more year experience before he jumps into a HC role.  That is just me and I have no idea what his peers say or think about him.  I am sure most would give him nothing but high grades.

He seems like a good guy and maybe I am wrong about him.  I think players really like him... we shall see

Wow, Mike Vrabel at age 42 is actually one year older than Josh McDaniels. I remember seeing Vrabel in a Patriots uniform like it was only yesterday. Sean McVay is 31 and doing quite well for his Rams team, so it seems young age is working wonders at the coaching level.

20 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Weren't we supposed to meet with people today?

Inless weather stopped it, we were set to meet with Seattle DC Kris Richards....

McDaniels   Wednesday...

no one Thursday  (Snow)

Richards   Friday  (Today)

Vrabel   Saturday  (Tomorrow)

I haven't seen seen the interview schedule beyond that.    Perhaps others can add to this...

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Inless weather stopped it, we were set to meet with Seattle DC Kris Richards....

McDaniels   Wednesday...

no one Thursday  (Snow)

I haven't seen seen the interview schedule beyond that.    Perhaps others can add to this...

Thought so but I haven't heard or seen anything about the one today 

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

McDaniels   Wednesday...

no one Thursday  (Snow)

We should interview Jeff Saturday on Sunday.

42 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

It says for open HC spot.

I know it is officially for the HC opening but I just don't feel he is at the top of the list....and that it might be making connections for something in the future rather than someone they are really considering. 

10 minutes ago, esmort said:

I know it is officially for the HC opening but I just don't feel he is at the top of the list....and that it might be making connections for something in the future rather than someone they are really considering. 

He may not be at the top of the list but I have a hard time believing either the Colts or Vrabel would waste each other's time if there was not serious interest.

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

He may not be at the top of the list but I have a hard time believing either the Colts or Vrabel would waste each other's time if there was not serious interest.

I don't recall the exact time line... did they request the interview with Vrabel before the Texans announced BOB was definitely being retained? 

1 hour ago, esmort said:

I don't recall the exact time line... did they request the interview with Vrabel before the Texans announced BOB was definitely being retained? 

I can see that line of thinking. If O'Brien was fired, having that contact with Vrabel, knowing that he's not exactly a hot HC candidate, could have been to potentially land him as a DC.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I agree about the colts, but I could see Vrabel taking the interview even without legitimate interest. The interview process itself has to be quite intense. I've seen where some have gone 8 hours or more. I wouldn't mind having a practice run at something like that before having to do it for real. Plus Irsay is likely fitting the bill for all of it. Just saying, I would even if I knew I'd turn the job down if offered :)

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

McDaniels   Wednesday...

no one Thursday  (Snow)

Nagy and Wilks I saw a tweet are supposed to be early next week.  I’m not sure if their teams win their games how that will affect the schedule. 

11 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Vrabel is related to Liz Warren, so the interview could be to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I just don't think 1 year as a DC signals you as ready for a HC opportunity. Chuck was a DC for 1 year too before we hired him as HC and you see how that turned out.

Mike Tomlin was never even a coordinator.  Neither was John Harbaugh.  The Colts are interviewing another guy this year who never coordinated an offense or defense in the NFL.  Another hot HC candidate this year is the Pats' linebacker coach.  Some hires are hits immediately while others need to fail in other places before they learn how to be a HC.  

The point is there is no hard and fast rule on who or what experience will make a good head coach.  Interview several candidates and pick who you think will be the best leader.

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

Mike Tomlin was never even a coordinator.  Neither was John Harbaugh.  The Colts are interviewing another guy this year who never coordinated an offense or defense in the NFL.  Another hot HC candidate this year is the Pats' linebacker coach.  Some hires are hits immediately while others need to fail in other places before they learn how to be a HC.  

The point is there is no hard and fast rule on who or what experience will make a good head coach.  Interview several candidates and pick who you think will be the best leader.

I think John madden was just a linebacker coach before becoming a hc.  

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I agree with your premise, but Mike Tomlin is terrible and not a good argument in favor.