Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL 1,000: 5 Worst Players ay Every Position. 3 Colts Make the List

Defjamz26

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750038-nfl1000-the-5-worst-players-at-every-position?share=other

Spoilers. Vujnovich comes in as the worst guard in the NFL, Morrison as the 5th worst LB with a description that matches exactly what fans have said about him, and TJ Green as the worst safety for a 2nd year in a row. So all the fan talk about how it was just because he was a raw rookie forced into the lineup is now dismissed.

Does it surprise anyone that all 3 players were Grigson guys? But Pagano deserves the blame for actually starting Vujnovich in 2017. This article sums up a lot of the Colts problems. Bottom tier players starting or playing significant snaps. Not sure how any of them made the roster, but I’ll be shocked if any of them are on it next year. The funny thing about Green is that he’s exactly what I thought he’d be. Take a look at this quote from a scout from his draft profile.

There is a buzz going around about him from some people I talk to on a regular basis but I'm not sure where it is coming from. He's fast, but what else?" -- NFC executive

Also was listed as one of the biggest boom or bust prospects that year. Morrison is exactly what we thought. A 2 down thumper. I’m convinced he was a Pagano guy too because all our LBs have been in that style. Grigson made the call but I think players like D’Juon Smith, Green, and Morrison were him drafting guys for Pagano. Like Pagano he’s a “rah rah” guy who barks louder than he bites.

Anyone not named Luck, Hilton, maybe Melvin, or Kelly who was drafted/signed by Grigson needs to be gone off the roster. They’re either terrible like the 3 guys mentioned, underwhelming like Moncrief, or are just career backups like Ridgeway. Gore is an exception but he’s leaving anyways with an expiring contract.

I honestly think we are much better than the media and some fans portray us being. We have lost a lot of games by 7 points or less. Had we had Luck we win most of those. Also our Defense has looked much better than last season. It will be interesting to see how we play after another Draft full of high picks, a new Coach, and a healthy Andrew Luck. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people.

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

According to Rick Venturi, both TJ Green and Morrison were Pagano guys. Good to know his eye for talent is right there with his coach acumen.

Yeah, I remember hearing before that draft that Pagano would have more input in players drafted. After the whole Grigson and Pagano feud boiled over and they extension presser.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly think we are much better than the media and some fans portray us being. We have lost a lot of games by 7 points or less. Had we had Luck we win most of those. Also our Defense has looked much better than last season. It will be interesting to see how we play after another Draft full of high picks, a new Coach, and a healthy Andrew Luck. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people.

Agreed, but unfortunately the afc south is going to be even tougher year.  Hopefully the Titans retain mike malarkey so they can continue to underachieve.

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Agreed, but unfortunately the afc south is going to be even tougher year.  Hopefully the Titans retain mike malarkey so they can continue to underachieve.

Yeah Malarkey is a Bad Coach. The Jags are now Good but as long as Bortles remains QB they will be beatable as well. Houston is going to be real tough if Watson stays healthy but will he?

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Malarkey is a Bad Coach. The Jags are now Good but as long as Bortles remains QB they will be beatable as well. Houston is going to be real tough if Watson stays healthy but will he?

Well to be fair, I bet Texans fans are posing the same question about Luck.

It's actually kinda crazy how many people outside of our fanbase think Luck is actually done.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Texans fans are probably posing the same question about the same about Luck. 

It's actually kinda crazy how many people outside of our fanbase think Luck is actually done. It's not the majority of people, but it's enough to seem weird.

I think a lot of that is, they want him to be done. They know with him we are dangerous. To me it's just a lot of hating because I see no reason why Luck cant come back 100% after taking the whole season off. We will find out a lot in the next few months.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think a lot of that is, they want him to be done. They know with him we are dangerous. To me it's just a lot of hating because I see no reason why Luck cant come back 100% after taking the whole season off. We will find out a lot in the next few months.

Yeah, agreed. I'm actually more wondering about Mariota and if his lingering injuries will ever go away. Seems like he deals with a lot of leg stuff. Especially since they use him in the run game so much.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, agreed. I'm actually more wondering about Mariota and if his lingering injuries will ever go away. Seems like he deals with a lot of leg stuff. Especially since they use him in the run game so much.

Yeah he hasn't looked right over the last month. Next season Andrew will be coming healthy and rested. Cant wait for next season.

Look at all the supposed QB's that were rated higher than Luck by the media and a lot of people coming into this season. -Mariota was one of them and the Titans miss the Playoffs and he looks gimpy.

-Carr, Raiders miss the Playoffs. People said he was the next coming and was definitely better than Luck now.

-Wentz, Season ending injury, torn ACL which is a Bad injury.

-Stafford, Lions miss the Playoffs.

-Cousins, Skins miss the Playoffs.

-Prescott, Cowboys miss the Playoffs.

-Winston, Bucs stink.

*My point is none of these QB's are better than Luck when he's healthy. Out of those QB's I say Wentz is the closest to Luck. One last thing, if the Falcons win next week, Russell Wilson we even miss the Playoffs and he's been healthy all season.

43 minutes ago, BOTT said:

According to Rick Venturi, both TJ Green and Morrison were Pagano guys. Good to know his eye for talent is right there with his coach acumen.

Yeah, Morrison is definitely a Pagano guy. He is the type of ILB he likes and he started him as a rookie only after a couple of games last year despite being continually exposed. And still to this day.

Getting a WILL inside linebacker with athleticism and coverage ability is an absolute must this off season. Thankfully there is alot of options in the draft.

That article talks about Turbin as if he wasnt on IR, "Turbin, meanwhile, was overtaken by rookie Marlon Mack, who has been far more explosive as both a runner and a receiver out of the backfield. Turbin has seen just 23 carries for 53 yards and one touchdown so far this season."  

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It's actually kinda crazy how many people outside of our fanbase think Luck is actually done.

Not sure which is crazier, that or the fact so many Colts fans are just assuming he will be healthy, return to form and play 16 games for the next 8 years.

Hell, Luck might need another procedure in several weeks, yet when it comes to the draft, no one is mentioning the fact that WE might need to add a QB somewhere in the draft.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Not sure which is crazier, that or the fact so many Colts fans are just assuming he will be healthy, return to form and play 16 games for the next 8 years.

Hell, Luck might need another procedure in several weeks, yet when it comes to the draft, no one is mentioning the fact that WE might need to add a QB somewhere in the draft.

On the bright side , the procedure wouldnt have anything to due with a messed up shoulder, it would be a common procedure on the bicep tendon...per mort.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

On the bright side , the procedure wouldnt have anything to due with a messed up shoulder, it would be a common procedure on the bicep tendon...per mort.

Yeah, don't know if you've been around much lately.  We've had several threads on it.  Projections on recovery time seem to be all over the place.

23 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah agreed, I'm not one of those fans.

I'm more in the wait and see crowd, almost a hope for the best but be prepared for the worst kind of thing. I won't at all be shocked if he has to get another procedure.

The fact of Vuj being the worst guard in the league speaks volumes on how bad we have been at drafting or developing OL.  I'm sure Philbin had a lot of input in drafting Clarke and Haag and Banner.  The fact he earned the starting position at LG when they tried to move Mewhort to RG says it all.  Kelly was a no brainer and Good was the outlier.  Keeping my fingers crossed we find a real OL coach this time around. 

53 minutes ago, #12. said:

i wouldnt draft a QB early this year unless we know luck is doubtful  

we need to use our picks to put a good team around whoever plays QB or we wont get far whether its luck, brisset or a rookie 

I do think the Colts have the makings of decent depth at O-line with Haeg Person and Good. What they need are a healthy Mewhort and new Starting Guard and RT. 

Get rid of Vuj and Clarke and the rest of the trash and pick up a couple of free agents and a high draft pick. Overspend the free agent $ to ensure the O-line is fixed. Period. 

Vujnovich is starting because the good Grisgon draft pick, Mewhort, is hurt and Ballard didn't get a replacement despite gobs of salary cap.  Yet having the worst G in 2017 is still Grigson's fault.  Amazing.

Pagano is responsible for the defensive personnel.  Everybody knew that when he went to workout Werner before being drafted.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Vujnovich is starting because the good Grisgon draft pick, Mewhort, is hurt and Ballard didn't get a replacement despite gobs of salary cap.  Yet having the worst G in 2017 is still Grigson's fault.  Amazing.

Pagano is responsible for the defensive personnel.  Everybody knew that when he went to workout Werner before being drafted.

Vujnovich is Pagano’s fault now for starting him. It’s clear he can’t play and has limited upside. I can’t imagine how he won the starting job, let alone be allowed to continually start for as long as he has

6 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Yeah, Morrison is definitely a Pagano guy. He is the type of ILB he likes and he started him as a rookie only after a couple of games last year despite being continually exposed. And still to this day.

Getting a WILL inside linebacker with athleticism and coverage ability is an absolute must this off season. Thankfully there is alot of options in the draft.

Yeah that’s in line with what I was saying above about Vuj. Pagano continually starts Players who are ineffective and doesn’t seem to want to give anyone else a shot. This has been going on since he got here though. I’m not sure why it took Bostic getting hurt for Walker to get more snaps, given how ineffective Morrison has been. I feel as if he plays favorites as it’s clear what type of player he prefers at certain positions:

-RB: Big, bruiser type RBs with no lateral quickness that just run it up the gut (Richardson, Gore, Robinson)

-ILB- Beefy, 2 down thumpers who have no athleticism and are phone booth tacklers that just run straight ahead (DQwell Jackson, Morrison, Irving)

And the overall theme is guys who lack ideal physical traits but have a “fiery” play style/attitude. Guys like David Parry and D’Joun Smith.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Look at all the supposed QB's that were rated higher than Luck by the media and a lot of people coming into this season. -Mariota was one of them and the Titans miss the Playoffs and he looks gimpy.

-Carr, Raiders miss the Playoffs. People said he was the next coming and was definitely better than Luck now.

-Winston, Bucs stink.

*My point is none of these QB's are better than Luck when he's healthy. Out of those QB's I say Wentz is the closest to Luck. One last thing, if the Falcons win next week, Russell Wilson we even miss the Playoffs and he's been healthy all season.

We are in a time where everyone in the NFL from teams to fans are literally ticked off that the colts were able to draft Andrew Luck right after Peyton Manning. That's the only reason I can think of behind all the hate. 

6 hours ago, Everyone said:

That article talks about Turbin as if he wasnt on IR, "Turbin, meanwhile, was overtaken by rookie Marlon Mack, who has been far more explosive as both a runner and a receiver out of the backfield. Turbin has seen just 23 carries for 53 yards and one touchdown so far this season."  

What a bad article. 

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750038-nfl1000-the-5-worst-players-at-every-position?share=other

Spoilers. Vujnovich comes in as the worst guard in the NFL, Morrison as the 5th worst LB with a description that matches exactly what fans have said about him, and TJ Green as the worst safety for a 2nd year in a row. So all the fan talk about how it was just because he was a raw rookie forced into the lineup is now dismissed.

Does it surprise anyone that all 3 players were Grigson guys? But Pagano deserves the blame for actually starting Vujnovich in 2017. This article sums up a lot of the Colts problems. Bottom tier players starting or playing significant snaps. Not sure how any of them made the roster, but I’ll be shocked if any of them are on it next year. The funny thing about Green is that he’s exactly what I thought he’d be. Take a look at this quote from a scout from his draft profile.

There is a buzz going around about him from some people I talk to on a regular basis but I'm not sure where it is coming from. He's fast, but what else?" -- NFC executive

Also was listed as one of the biggest boom or bust prospects that year. Morrison is exactly what we thought. A 2 down thumper. I’m convinced he was a Pagano guy too because all our LBs have been in that style. Grigson made the call but I think players like D’Juon Smith, Green, and Morrison were him drafting guys for Pagano. Like Pagano he’s a “rah rah” guy who barks louder than he bites.

Anyone not named Luck, Hilton, maybe Melvin, or Kelly who was drafted/signed by Grigson needs to be gone off the roster. They’re either terrible like the 3 guys mentioned, underwhelming like Moncrief, or are just career backups like Ridgeway. Gore is an exception but he’s leaving anyways with an expiring contract.

You have NOOOOO Idea if those guys were Paganos, or not. IMO I would bet Pagano would have liked to keep Freeman, and Bethea just saying!

12 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

You have NOOOOO Idea if those guys were Paganos, or not. IMO I would bet Pagano would have liked to keep Freeman, and Bethea just saying!

TBH...  Freeman has only played 13 games over the last 2 years because of PED's.  So it ended up being a good thing he wasn't signed,  

I don't give this article much credence. 

In order to grade each NFL player (at each position) it would require so much detailed watching of film tape that it would be so difficult (if not nearly impossible) to give an accurate report of every team.

I doubt that these blog writers, whom I never heard of,  have given that time and effort here.

As for the Colts, I have watched every game,

The line as a whole, basically struggled throughout the entire season. Although, I would say the last few games they have played better.

Jeremy Vujnovich has played many of the snaps. Vujnovich has made some mistakes but also made good blocks. I don't think it's fair to single him out as the scapegoat. When other players have been in there without any better results.

But even though I watch every game, it is hard to really say what exactly is going on with the offensive line.

It's a very complicated area to judge. We don't know the design of the plays, the blocking assignments, if the QB makes a mistake (holds the ball too long), or the receivers give a poor effort to get open,  it may results in a sack.

It is not a normal practice for one to focus on individual offensive linemen while watching a football game.

Naturally one focuses their attention to the players that are around the ball.

I believe grading of players on O-Line often is done by hype. The majority of O-Linemen are not famous athletes, (Vujnovich, Person) while some are more recognizable mainly due to their draft positioning and hype (Mewhort, Kelly) 

It's easy to blame Vujnovich for all our lines problems, while the more recognizable guys get a pass.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I don't give this article much credence. 

In order to grade each NFL player (at each position) it would require so much detailed watching of film tape that it would be so difficult (if not nearly impossible) to give an accurate report of every team.

I doubt that these blog writers, whom I never heard of,  have given that time and effort here.

As for the Colts, I have watched every game,

The line as a whole, basically struggled throughout the entire season. Although, I would say the last few games they have played better.

Jeremy Vujnovich has played many of the snaps. Vujnovich has made some mistakes but also made good blocks. I don't think it's fair to single him out as the scapegoat. When other players have been in there without any better results.

But even though I watch every game, it is hard to really say what exactly is going on with the offensive line.

It's a very complicated area to judge. We don't know the design of the plays, the blocking assignments, if the QB makes a mistake (holds the ball too long), or the receivers give a poor effort to get open,  it may results in a sack.

It is not a normal practice for one to focus on individual offensive linemen while watching a football game.

Naturally one focuses their attention to the players that are around the ball.

I believe grading of players on O-Line often is done by hype. The majority of O-Linemen are not famous athletes, (Vujnovich, Person) while some are more recognizable mainly due to their draft positioning and hype (Mewhort, Kelly) 

It's easy to blame Vujnovich for all our lines problems, while the more recognizable guys get a pass.

I agree. It is tough to judge the line play because we haven't had any consistency at all. That has been a long time issue.

With that said if we can't get a couple of o-linemen in free agency we will have to pick the best available thru the draft. The offense will always be a struggle as long as these issue are present. I know a lot want different positions first but till this issue is fixed any other positions will not make this team win.

On 12/25/2017 at 4:04 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

-Winston, Bucs stink.

It's hard to separate QB from coaching, but I'ld say the problem with several of these QBs not making the playoffs is coaching.  It's no coincidence that the Raiders cut their OC and carr starts struggling.  That said, I think Luck has been held back in his career with the Colts by bad coaching.  Imagine if you matched Luck with Kyle Shanahan....that could produce superbowls

On 12/25/2017 at 5:40 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No, they won't......regardless of Watson's health.  Houston's roster is riddled with holes and they have little means to plug those holes. 

On 12/25/2017 at 6:42 AM, Fisticuffs111 said:

Or it's crazy how many people inside of the fanbase think that Luck isn't done......

On 12/25/2017 at 10:44 AM, #12. said:

Yeah, don't know if you've been around much lately.  We've had several threads on it.  Projections on recovery time seem to be all over the place.

I had a tenodesis done along with labral repair on 12/15/16. Recovery definitely wasn't 3 months. Still have pain when I rotate my wrist a certain way (bicep pulls differently). They basically snipped my short tendon and sewed it to the long. The other option is to clip it, put the two tendons together, and drive a screw into the bone to hold them in place. 

3 months is pretty aggressive for recovery.

31 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

I had a tenodesis done along with labral repair on 12/15/16. Recovery definitely wasn't 3 months. Still have pain when I rotate my wrist a certain way (bicep pulls differently). They basically snipped my short tendon and sewed it to the long. The other option is to clip it, put the two tendons together, and drive a screw into the bone to hold them in place. 

3 months is pretty aggressive for recovery.

It's a common procedure in the NFL.  Part of the problem may have been Luck's decision to have hip specialist perform the procedure instead of a guy like Dr Andrews.

On 12/25/2017 at 10:39 AM, BOTT said:

I'm not sure what you read form Mort, but if that is your takeaway... he has sorely misled you .. in some fashion.

I refer you to this post of mine-

On 12/26/2017 at 7:55 PM, BOTT said:

It's a common procedure in the NFL.  Part of the problem may have been Luck's decision to have hip specialist perform the procedure instead of a guy like Dr Andrews.

Another less than accurate statement.  Dr. Safran has (All of) these as his specialties-

Hip arthroscopy
Sports medicine and arthroscopy
Elbow arthroscopy and ligament surgery
Knee ligament reconstruction

Shoulder stability surgery

And is a member of these-

American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
International Society of Knee Surgery, Arthroscopy and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Another less than accurate statement.  Dr. Safran has (All of) these as his specialties-

Hip arthroscopy
Sports medicine and arthroscopy
Elbow arthroscopy and ligament surgery
Knee ligament reconstruction

Shoulder stability surgery

And is a member of these-

American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
International Society of Knee Surgery, Arthroscopy and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

Note to self: stop listening to Mort.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm not sure what you read form Mort, but if that is your takeaway... he has sorely misled you .. in some fashion.

I refer you to this post of mine-

Hmm, mort claimed the procedure Luck woild be looking at would simply move the tendon to another place on the labrum...as opposed to attaching it to the humerus.

33 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Hmm, mort claimed the procedure Luck woild be looking at would simply move the tendon to another place on the labrum...as opposed to attaching it to the humerus.

Once more, from what you inferred, Mort was just not correct.  I addressed this very thought here-

Back on subject, i was really hoping to strike Gold with T.J. Green.  Looks like we got fools Gold instead.  That is my disappointment with this group.  the other 2?

Never had confidence in Vujnovich at all, and Morrison is just what I thought... old school, downhill, 2 down thumper, that often takes bad angles and has limited instincts at this time.

On 12/25/2017 at 3:22 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Actually 4 made the list.. not 3.  You missed Turbin which btw was pretty stupid for him to be on the list.