Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early Tidbits Concerning Colts Picking 2nd or 3rd

dw49

Early betting lines on the 2 games that matter are out.

Colts are even. I would expect us to be around minus 2 as we get closer to next Sunday.

Washington is 3 to 3.5 right now. I'm thinking that ones goes to 4.5. They are just better than NY and is home field really a significant edge in that game ? I doubt it.

Here's another interesting item that certainly effects the top of round one.

Neither Rosen or Darnold are locks to come out . Darold is only 20 years old and the word so far is that he could indeed go back to SC for another year. We did see similar with both our guys... Manning and Luck. As to Rosen , here something I just saw in Roto World.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, UCLA QB Josh Rosen prefers to play for the Giants and would be "hesitant to come out in next year's draft" if the Browns pursue him with the first overall pick.

Rosen is still deciding whether to enter the upcoming draft, where he would likely be a first-round selection. Per Schefter, he wants no part of the Browns, however, and may be tempted to return to UCLA for his senior year if it meant avoiding Cleveland. ESPN's Todd McShay projects Rosen as the No. 1 pick while Mel Kiper has him at No. 4. The winless Browns are a lock to draft a quarterback after missing on Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson the past two years.
Source: ESPN.com 
Dec 24 - 9:42 AM

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think at least one of the two QBs comes out, for sure. But I think there's as good a chance that only one comes out as there is that both come out. I'm hoping Josh Allen is as sought after as some media draftniks think he is, but I doubt it, to be honest.

So there's a good chance there's only top notch QB prospect this year. 

The Giants are bad enough to lose this next game in the first half. They're completely listless. No telling with the Texans games; there's a legitimate chance they lay an egg and the Colts finish with a win. I think we're effectively going to be locked into #3 at this point. Tampa is a coin flip, they almost beat Carolina today, but the Saints look legit so I'm assuming Tampa loses. I think that puts us in a three way tie with Houston and Tampa, meaning our second round pick could be as low as #5 (if I understand correctly, and I might not). 

So if we're at #3 with only one QB coming out, I'm hoping there's some love for Allen, I'm hoping Barkley goes early, and I'm still going to hope both Darnold and Rosen come out. If a favorable combination of all of that happens, that #3 pick might still be super valuable. If we could swing an offer like SF got from CHI at #2, I'd be ecstatic. Move down two or three spots at most, pick up an extra 3rd and 4th and a future 3rd. I'm hoping it shakes out that way.

And I'm hoping teams go QB crazy. Shoot, let's get Lamar Jackson up into the top of the first round, too. 

58 minutes ago, dw49 said:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, UCLA QB Josh Rosen prefers to play for the Giants and would be "hesitant to come out in next year's draft" if the Browns pursue him with the first overall pick.

Rosen is still deciding whether to enter the upcoming draft, where he would likely be a first-round selection. Per Schefter, he wants no part of the Browns, however, and may be tempted to return to UCLA for his senior year if it meant avoiding Cleveland. ESPN's Todd McShay projects Rosen as the No. 1 pick while Mel Kiper has him at No. 4. The winless Browns are a lock to draft a quarterback after missing on Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson the past two years.

I don't blame him, but I don't think he should go back to UCLA. One, he's not a good fit for Chip Kelly, so I could see his draft stock going down with a bad year.

Two, he can tell the Browns not to draft him, and they probably won't. It's not the first time that's happened, there's a well known path to avoiding the team with the #1 pick. Eli Manning took heat for it, but was basically proved right. I think Rosen is fine with being the bad guy, if it comes down to it.

Also, the Browns are unpredictable. I think Dorsey will probably take a QB, but they've passed on four potentially franchise changing QBs in the last two years. 

55 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think at least one of the two QBs comes out, for sure. But I think there's as good a chance that only one comes out as there is that both come out. I'm hoping Josh Allen is as sought after as some media draftniks think he is, but I doubt it, to be honest.

The Giants are bad enough to lose this next game in the first half. They're completely listless. No telling with the Texans games; there's a legitimate chance they lay an egg and the Colts finish with a win. I think we're effectively going to be locked into #3 at this point. Tampa is a coin flip, they almost beat Carolina today, but the Saints look legit so I'm assuming Tampa loses. I think that puts us in a three way tie with Houston and Tampa, meaning our second round pick could be as low as #5 (if I understand correctly, and I might not). 

So if we're at #3 with only one QB coming out, I'm hoping there's some love for Allen, I'm hoping Barkley goes early, and I'm still going to hope both Darnold and Rosen come out. If a favorable combination of all of that happens, that #3 pick might still be super valuable. If we could swing an offer like SF got from CHI at #2, I'd be ecstatic. Move down two or three spots at most, pick up an extra 3rd and 4th and a future 3rd. I'm hoping it shakes out that way.

And I'm hoping teams go QB crazy. Shoot, let's get Lamar Jackson up into the top of the first round, too. 

I'd say Rosen for sure comes out . He's just letting Cleveland know he doesn't want to play for them and hoping it works out that way. Darnold I just have a feeling could stay in school. He probably will come out as he's for sure a top 3 pick. Josh Allen just hasn't been good enough in college for some team to trade multiple picks to draft him 3rd. He's the type guy that a team like Denver could surprise people and draft like 9th. 

I'm with you that we are going to draft 3rd and very remote that it's second. We are way more likely to beat Houston than NY is to beat Washington. The odds of Houston and NY winning would be about 1 in 8 I think. 

That all said , if you want to trade down , the most likely bet is the following. We pick 3rd , the 2 QB's go 1 and 2 and some team in the top 8 loves Barkley. We won't get a monster haul but it might be significant enough. This is all just my draft opinion and to be honest , I've not been to insightful or accurate the last few drafts.

I'm also going to add that Indy fans could loath the day we passed on Barkley. Every one in a while there is a truly elite , difference making RB. He could be the guy. Great size , speed , vision , cutting ability and is great in the passing game. 

IMO without having any knowledge on the QB class, I'd bet they both go into the draft. Staying in school another year is a GIGANTIC risk. A bad injury or down year and you've kissed away millions of dollars (in case of injury, even that insurance money isn't NFL money).

I'm betting it's all the pre draft nonsense that comes out every year.

Turning down being picked in the top five like I said is such a big risk. Which, in the end I think can definitely help us.

The Browns are such a mess. They've already indicated the new regime could be just as dysfunctional and they didn't even wait until the end of the season to do it. Firing a GM mid season and then telling the new one he can't choose his own coach really sets a Cleveland Browns tone for the new regime once again. For the sake of our pick's worth I hope they both come out but I definitely wouldn't blame them if they stayed simply to avoid the Browns. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Allen is going to come out as a junior (I'm in grad school at UWYO, so I follow pretty closely) and have heard this from several credible sources (even Coach Bohl let Allen participate in Senior Day, acknowledging he's going to leave as a junior).

He had a heck of a game out in the Potato Bowl, shredding CMU to bits.  He has the best physical tools in the draft (he's 6'6", can make any throw on the field, and although he is built to be a true pocket passer, he has shown time and again he can run if the situation dictates it). He lost 4 offensive starters to the NFL (Tanner Gentry WR Bears, Brian Hill RB Falcons, an OL, and Jacob Hollister TE Pats) and his numbers didn't go through the roof this year, but he certainly showed he's got the physical skill set and improved his decision making.  He missed the final game of the regular season and UWYO lost to lowly San Jose State (several think this was a blessing in disguise for Josh as it showed how little fire power we had on offense without him running the show).  

Interestingly enough, Craig Bohl was head coach at NDSU over Carson Wentz (and UWYO's offensive coordinator also was at NDSU with Wentz).  It would be a pretty crazy thing to see them produce 2 top 10 NFL draft picks from North Dakota and Wyoming.  Anyway, I graduated UDEL with Joe Flacco and I think Allen has his arm strength with the athletic ability of a Wentz.  The NYG would be a perfect fit for him (one year to learn under Eli) and with a healthy Beckham and WR Corps that the NYG has he has the best arm in the draft to fire downfield and let his WRs make plays.

I, for one, think the hype about Josh Allen is real and after his combine and workouts teams will see how much physical capability he has.  He's also a stand-up guy and I'm sure will score well with her wonderlic and interview process.

I think Allen is the best QB in this class with Rosen a close 2nd. Allen will go top 10. If the Chiefs traded up for Mahomes, someone will definitely trade up for Allen who has a higher floor and ceiling. My prediction is the Giants trade up 1 spot for Rosen. Browns have options at QB. Cousins will be available, and the Vikings might deal Bridgewater. Tyrod Taylor also has a chance of being available.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I'd say Rosen for sure comes out . He's just letting Cleveland know he doesn't want to play for them and hoping it works out that way. Darnold I just have a feeling could stay in school. He probably will come out as he's for sure a top 3 pick. Josh Allen just hasn't been good enough in college for some team to trade multiple picks to draft him 3rd. He's the type guy that a team like Denver could surprise people and draft like 9th. 

I'm with you that we are going to draft 3rd and very remote that it's second. We are way more likely to beat Houston than NY is to beat Washington. The odds of Houston and NY winning would be about 1 in 8 I think. 

That all said , if you want to trade down , the most likely bet is the following. We pick 3rd , the 2 QB's go 1 and 2 and some team in the top 8 loves Barkley. We won't get a monster haul but it might be significant enough. This is all just my draft opinion and to be honest , I've not been to insightful or accurate the last few drafts.

I'm also going to add that Indy fans could loath the day we passed on Barkley. Every one in a while there is a truly elite , difference making RB. He could be the guy. Great size , speed , vision , cutting ability and is great in the passing game. 

Agreed. And I've been watching Barkley today and agree that he's the real deal. But would not draft him in the top of the first round, especially not for the Colts. Some Colts fans might be disappointed, but I probably won't be one of them. And of course, I'm working under the assumption that whoever we do draft winds up being a star at their own position.

42 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Allen is going to come out as a junior (I'm in grad school at UWYO, so I follow pretty closely) and have heard this from several credible sources (even Coach Bohl let Allen participate in Senior Day, acknowledging he's going to leave as a junior).

He had a heck of a game out in the Potato Bowl, shredding CMU to bits.  He has the best physical tools in the draft (he's 6'6", can make any throw on the field, and although he is built to be a true pocket passer, he has shown time and again he can run if the situation dictates it). He lost 4 offensive starters to the NFL (Tanner Gentry WR Bears, Brian Hill RB Falcons, an OL, and Jacob Hollister TE Pats) and his numbers didn't go through the roof this year, but he certainly showed he's got the physical skill set and improved his decision making.  He missed the final game of the regular season and UWYO lost to lowly San Jose State (several think this was a blessing in disguise for Josh as it showed how little fire power we had on offense without him running the show).  

Interestingly enough, Craig Bohl was head coach at NDSU over Carson Wentz (and UWYO's offensive coordinator also was at NDSU with Wentz).  It would be a pretty crazy thing to see them produce 2 top 10 NFL draft picks from North Dakota and Wyoming.  Anyway, I graduated UDEL with Joe Flacco and I think Allen has his arm strength with the athletic ability of a Wentz.  The NYG would be a perfect fit for him (one year to learn under Eli) and with a healthy Beckham and WR Corps that the NYG has he has the best arm in the draft to fire downfield and let his WRs make plays.

I, for one, think the hype about Josh Allen is real and after his combine and workouts teams will see how much physical capability he has.  He's also a stand-up guy and I'm sure will score well with her wonderlic and interview process.

Good post, especially since you're obviously familiar with the program. I've read similar things about Allen and his similarity to Wentz, but I've also read that the media is more in love with him than NFL personnel guys. I'm hoping the hype is more real than that, and he is high enough to someone to move up to #3 for him. 

I also hope he works out well. From the little I've seen of him, he definitely has pro traits.

If Rosen really wants to enter the draft but didnt want Cleveland to take him he would just tell Cleveland he wants nothing to do with them, its happened multiple times in the past, and either way it always seems to work out for the player not the team. You cant force someone to play for you, and if you try your fighting a lost cause IMO. 

Slightly off topic but how much does it suck to be Cleveland, where Quarterbacks are contemplating staying in college just to avoid your team LOL!

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think Allen is the best QB in this class with Rosen a close 2nd. Allen will go top 10. If the Chiefs traded up for Mahomes, someone will definitely trade up for Allen who has a higher floor and ceiling. My prediction is the Giants trade up 1 spot for Rosen. Browns have options at QB. Cousins will be available, and the Vikings might deal Bridgewater. Tyrod Taylor also has a chance of being available.

By the time of the draft, the rare QB carousel that's on the way this offseason will be done, and a handful of teams will feel left out and still desperately want a QB. I don't see the Vikings moving Bridgewater, and I don't think Taylor will keep anyone from making a QB play (like the Eagles signing Bradford and keeping Foles, but making a move for Wentz anyway). I also think the Chiefs might just keep Smith in 2018, keeping another QB off the market. The Niners are likely to keep JG off the market.

So I think it's Cousins, and that's not a given that he leaves. Eli, also not a given, and in his late 30s. 

I could be wrong about all of this, but we'll see.

Either way, if there's a combination of Rosen, Darnold and Allen, or two of those three, getting top five consideration, it's good for us. Half the league is in the market for QBs, and at least a half dozen teams would like to draft a potential franchise guy in the first round. 

Let's say Denver signs Cousins, now Washington needs a QB, and they'll want a big ticket guy. Whatever Buffalo does with Tyrod, I think they'll want another QB (they won't be satisfied with Peterman, and I'm sort of a Peterman fan, but you can't start him right now). Giants, Browns, Jets, Bengals, Broncos, Cardinals, Washington, Jags, all teams that probably want to draft a QB, and you can remove the Broncos if they sign Cousins.

Let's talk Barkley into the #1 spot, and now #3 is as valuable as #2 was the past two seasons. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

By the time of the draft, the rare QB carousel that's on the way this offseason will be done, and a handful of teams will feel left out and still desperately want a QB. I don't see the Vikings moving Bridgewater, and I don't think Taylor will keep anyone from making a QB play (like the Eagles signing Bradford and keeping Foles, but making a move for Wentz anyway). I also think the Chiefs might just keep Smith in 2018, keeping another QB off the market. The Niners are likely to keep JG off the market.

So I think it's Cousins, and that's not a given that he leaves. Eli, also not a given, and in his late 30s. 

Either way, if there's a combination of Rosen, Darnold and Allen, or two of those three, getting top five consideration, it's good for us. Half the league is in the market for QBs, and at least a half dozen teams would like to draft a potential franchise guy in the first round. 

Let's say Denver signs Cousins, now Washington needs a QB, and they'll want a big ticket guy. Whatever Buffalo does with Tyrod, I think they'll want another QB (they won't be satisfied with Peterman, and I'm sort of a Peterman fan, but you can't start him right now). Giants, Browns, Jets, Bengals, Broncos, Cardinals, Washington, Jags, all teams that probably want to draft a QB, and you can remove the Broncos if they sign Cousins.

Let's talk Barkley into the #1 spot, and now #3 is as valuable as #2 was the past two seasons. 

So that’s 8 teams who probably want to draft a QB. But are there enough QBs to go around? There’s potentially Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson, and Rudolph. So a few teams will have to either look to FA or wait until 2018. I could honestly see the Browns trading down from the number 1 spot. The Giants move up 1 spot for Rosen. Maybe the Bills move all the way up since the Browns have a 2nd pick in the top 5.

The most reasonable trade situation we could hope for is the Browns trading up from 4 or 5 to get our 3 spot. I can’t see Ballard passing on Barkley though. And it’s hard to imagine Barkley going #1 overall. 

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Buffalo , IMO , will do everything possible to replace Tyrod and they have 2 no 1's. If Bortles costs them in the playoffs , he'd gone too. How about Cousins to the Jags ?  Bottles is going into his 5th year end would count 19 mill if they used that option. If they want to move from him , you'd think they'd much prefer Cousins to developing a rookie ?  Man time flies , I never would have thought this was his 4th year.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Buffalo , IMO , will do everything possible to replace Tyrod and they have 2 no 1's. If Bortles costs them in the playoffs , he'd gone too. How about Cousins to the Jags ?  Bottles is going into his 5th year end would count 19 mill if they used that option. If they want to move from him , you'd think they'd much prefer Cousins to developing a rookie ?  Man time flies , I never would have thought this was his 4th year.

I think the Jags already declined Bortles option, so if they want to keep him it's either the tag (yeah right) or a new contract. I think they'll be in the market, he was more Old Bortles yesterday. 

You're probably right about Taylor. 

If we could somehow Luck out (pun intended) I could see the possibility of us being able to trade down twice and still draft in the top 10. If the Giants win and we lose we get #2. I could see if both Rosen and Darnold come out a battle between several teams for the # 2 spot. If we swung a trade with the Giants for their #3 and their second round choice we would have the #3 choice to wheel and deal with Barkley still available. If the Browns really wanted him after they got a QB with #1 we could end up with their 2nd choice in the first (Texans choice) which could be #4 overall their 2nd round choice and their 2019 first round pick. We get Chubb and walk away with a kings ransom.

Might as well think BIG.

You know, drafting is a funny business. Odds are, the lower your draft number, the higher percentage of success. However, that number is not linear. After the top 20 or so, the next 30-40 players are far more equal in terms of success. Does more picks equal better? I ponder that a lot. If I am a GM, and I see the potential for a generational player, I would take him regardless of their positional value at the top of the first round. However, I would not take an injury ridden player that high, simply because it adds to the already scary fact that ANY player can go down and you lose that draft value for whatever time they are absent...sometimes for good. 

How valuable is serious bank in cap space if it isn't spent wisely? How valuable is a high pick if they get hurt or fail? How valuable are multiple picks that none of become probowlers?

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the Jags already declined Bortles option, so if they want to keep him it's either the tag (yeah right) or a new contract. I think they'll be in the market, he was more Old Bortles yesterday. 

Jags picked up his 5th year option few months back. He is signed through 2018 but that likely wouldn’t keep them from looking for another qb if they wanted one.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Jags picked up his 5th year option few months back. He is signed through 2018 but that likely wouldn’t keep them from looking for another qb if they wanted one.

You're right. I thought they declined it. Still, it's not guaranteed until March, so they'll probably do something different with him. 

There are going to be qb needy teams from 6-10. Very likely both Jets and Denver will be picking in that range that could still be looking for a qb. A lot can change but I think the most important thing is we should be able to select the best non-qb in the draft if we want...and I do think there will be trade back options....maybe a team in middle of first will want to come up...and if that is the case we likely end up with multiple first for the pick. It’s the only thing we have to look forward too.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're right. I thought they declined it. Still, it's not guaranteed until March, so they'll probably do something different with him. 

Gotcha...so if they cut him it’s no cost? I could see them going after Cousins but it would be hard to see them go all in with Manning knowing he is just a short term rental and they are being built for the long haul at this point. 

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Gotcha...so if they cut him it’s no cost? I could see them going after Cousins but it would be hard to see them go all in with Manning knowing he is just a short term rental and they are being built for the long haul at this point. 

Assuming he doesn't get hurt, they can cut him prior to the first day of the league year with no penalty. 

I could see them signing Manning and drafting a new QB, or keeping Bortles another year on a reworked contract and drafting a new QB. 

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Good post, especially since you're obviously familiar with the program. I've read similar things about Allen and his similarity to Wentz, but I've also read that the media is more in love with him than NFL personnel guys. I'm hoping the hype is more real than that, and he is high enough to someone to move up to #3 for him. 

I also hope he works out well. From the little I've seen of him, he definitely has pro traits.

I think John Elway would disagree with you. He was at the Wyoming bowl game,  Along with the Jets, Gaints, Browns ect, It would not surprise me after watching Allen, he ends up being #1 overall after pro day and combine. IMO He reminds me of Bret Farve, meets Ben Roethlisberger.  You never know though career wise, but skill set wise yup. With the QB's last year getting picked in the first RD I expect the Colts to get many offers for the 3rd pick, couple the big 3 QB's and the Penn St RB along with Oklahoma QB Mayfield IMO underrated, If inclined I think the Colts will have many offers. As long as the Colts get Chubb from NC State its all good!!

19 hours ago, dw49 said:

Early betting lines on the 2 games that matter are out.

Colts are even. I would expect us to be around minus 2 as we get closer to next Sunday.

Washington is 3 to 3.5 right now. I'm thinking that ones goes to 4.5. They are just better than NY and is home field really a significant edge in that game ? I doubt it.

Here's another interesting item that certainly effects the top of round one.

Neither Rosen or Darnold are locks to come out . Darold is only 20 years old and the word so far is that he could indeed go back to SC for another year. We did see similar with both our guys... Manning and Luck. As to Rosen , here something I just saw in Roto World.

Why even have a draft if the Giants are going to have their pick every time they need a QB? 

We could get one of the top three QBs in the draft not knowing Luck's state of medical condition.  Then, if Luck is 110% cleared for the 2018 then make that decision to either trade Luck or keep him.  At least you have a blue chip QB you can build on  since we are at that stage anyway.

19 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I think John Elway would disagree with you. He was at the Wyoming bowl game,  Along with the Jets, Gaints, Browns ect, It would not surprise me after watching Allen, he ends up being #1 overall after pro day and combine. IMO He reminds me of Bret Farve, meets Ben Roethlisberger.  You never know though career wise, but skill set wise yup. With the QB's last year getting picked in the first RD I expect the Colts to get many offers for the 3rd pick, couple the big 3 QB's and the Penn St RB along with Oklahoma QB Mayfield IMO underrated, If inclined I think the Colts will have many offers. As long as the Colts get Chubb from NC State its all good!!

I don’t think we can move back and land chubb even though we could see 3qbs going first because I don’t see Cleveland and Tampa and Chicago and SF passing on Chubb and Barkley. I am fine racking up picks and moving back (particularly if we land a future first) but if we stay at the top I’d love a game wrecker on defense. Remember Freeney in his prime? If Basham improves and we add another legit pass rusher we could see the that secondary improve.

2 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Why even have a draft if the Giants are going to have their pick every time they need a QB? 

I think it could have been just about anyone BUT the Browns. Nobody wants to play for that train wreck. Which IMO is why they are courting Peyton...they desperately are seeking legitimacy in the front office.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think we can move back and land chubb even though we could see 3qbs going first because I don’t see Cleveland and Tampa and Chicago and SF passing on Chubb and Barkley. I am fine racking up picks and moving back (particularly if we land a future first) but if we stay at the top I’d love a game wrecker on defense. Remember Freeney in his prime? If Badham improves and we add another legit pass rusher we could see the that secondary improve.

Agree if we can't get Chubb I don't want to move back. He is a freak of nature skill set wise for that size and a high motor to! He IMO is exactly what the Colts lack and need!

19 hours ago, Superman said:

I think Allen will rise on the draft board and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes #2 or #3.

17 hours ago, Superman said:

Agreed. And I've been watching Barkley today and agree that he's the real deal. But would not draft him in the top of the first round, especially not for the Colts. Some Colts fans might be disappointed, but I probably won't be one of them. And of course, I'm working under the assumption that whoever we do draft winds up being a star at their own position.

You should post some draft breakdowns. Who has impressed you most so far? Is there a player you would jump with joy if we draft? 

5 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

We could get one of the top three QBs in the draft not knowing Luck's state of medical condition.  Then, if Luck is 110% cleared for the 2018 then make that decision to either trade Luck or keep him.  At least you have a blue chip QB you can build on  since we are at that stage anyway.

No none of these qb coming out are going to be as special as luck

6 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I haven't seen enough of him yet. It's great if he is as good and as sought after as some think he will be. I'm just saying that I've heard he's more liked by media guys than pro personnel guys. But it only takes one, so...

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Not really clear on Bortles and the 5th year option . One article says they opted to say yes and then there are "rumors " they will decline it. All they really have to do is cut him before the season starts and it's void. As I understand it ,if he gets injured they would be screwed.