Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early Tidbits Concerning Colts Picking 2nd or 3rd

dw49

51 minutes ago, Myles said:

Nelson would be a pro bowler for the next 10 years.   That is a wise pick.  

Fine what if you can get a pro bowl left tackle for the next 10 years but he didn’t play for Notre Dame? Say Oklahoma? I just don’t get the people that are married to one player. I could see a lot of players to help this team. While I like Nelson with a later pick I just don’t see him as a guy that will impact this team the same way another elite player at a different position would. We would still have pass protection issues. We still wouldn’t have someone that can block Von Miller or even Whitney Mercilus.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Fine what if you can get a pro bowl left tackle for the next 10 years but he didn’t play for Notre Dame? Say Oklahoma? I just don’t get the people that are married to one player. I could see a lot of players to help this team. While I like Nelson with a later pick I just don’t see him as a guy that will impact this team the same way another elite player at a different position would. We would still have pass protection issues. We still wouldn’t have someone that can block Von Miller or even Whitney Mercilus.

I think you are stuck on the Notre Dame aspect.   I'm not an Irish fan.   I'm going off of what I have read by the experts.   He's a once in a decade type of player and is the surest player in this draft.    The O-line makes the whole team better.  

Nelson, Notre Dame's 2017 Monogram Club Most Valuable Player, has started 35 times in his 36-game, three-year playing career. In 2017, he's started all 12 games at left guard and ranks as the highest-rated offensive lineman in the country by Pro Football Focus (48.1) -- next highest-rated lineman sits at 44.9. Nelson has far surpassed any other offensive guard in the country as well -- next highest-rated guard sits at 39.0.

Nelson has not surrendered a sack or QB hit, and allowed just two QB hurries in 819 offensive snaps this season. In fact, over his career (2,336 snaps), Nelson has surrendered just two sacks, none in the last two years, and only two quarterback hits.

Nelson's the highest-rated offensive guard in terms of run blocking in the country by Pro Football Focus (33.0) as well -- next highest-rated run-blocking guard sits at 25.5.

Quenton Nelson is built like a house, but he moves like a ballerina. Very few human beings that weight 320+ pounds can move like Nelson does. The pure athleticism of Nelson would likely make him a 1st or 2nd round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. However, Nelson attends Notre Dame, a college that has a track record of producing technical offensive linemen. Nelson fits perfectly into that mold, he very rarely has to rely on athleticism to get back into position.

Run Blocking

Unlike the tackle position just being a good pass protector won’t suffice in the NFL. Nelson excels as a run blocker, which isn’t a surprise at his size. The first place where Quenton Nelson excels is pad level, Nelson comes out of the blocks low and with great leverage. Coming from a college that asks offensive linemen to put a hand in the dirt is a huge advantage for players at Notre Dame.

When Nelson comes off the ball he does so with a ton of power. Double teams are regularly road graters, moving defensive linemen off the ball with ease. Even on solo blocks, he has enough power to blow defenders off the ball. However, Nelson’s game isn’t limited to power, he is surprisingly efficient at the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense. Nelson climbs to the second level while he remains smooth and square. Very rarely does he lunge to get a block, and he shows a good understanding of angles for cutoff blocks. You can tell when looking at the Notre Dame offensive line that they are very well coached.

Nelson also has some intangibles you look for in offensive linemen. Nelson has the awareness to find another defender to block once he finishes his first block. He also has the mean streak to try and finish every single block. Pancakes aren’t a “stat” that most track, but more so an indicator. If a lineman has a ton of pancake block it means that he values finishing his blocks.

Pass Blocking

One thing that benefits Quenton Nelson in his pass protection is his size. Standing at 6’5″ 325 pounds, Nelson is too wide for defenders to go around in the trenches. Nelson also has enough size to anchor himself with ease, which makes it very difficult for the defender to get to the quarterback. Most guards that have the size Nelson posses struggle in space, however that may be one of Nelsons biggest selling points to NFL teams.

Nelson moves laterally very well for a guard, regardless of size. For someone of his stature, he moves with incredible agility. Nelson gets left alone on an island at Notre Dame, so he has to cover a lot of ground side to side against defenders, and he very rarely gets beat. There are occasions where he is beat, but that is because there is an unreal amount of grass for the defender.

Another place where he excels is stunt recognition. Many college offensive linemen cannot identify a stunt and want to stay locked on to their initial block. However, Nelson keeps his head on a swivel and does an excellent job of seeing looping defenders. Once Nelson has his hands on a defender it is game over. Nelson has vice grips for hands and can lock down anyone who gets near him.

Bottom Line

Quenton Nelson is more than likely going to be the first guard drafted in this year’s draft. The NFL doesn’t value interior offensive linemen like it should. However, Nelson has a shot to be drafted in the top 10. That says everything you need to know about just how talented Nelson is.

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
Height: 6-5. Weight: 325.
Projected 40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2018): Top-25.

12/9/17: Nelson has dominated for Notre Dame in 2017, showing the ability to overwhelm defensive linemen as a run blocker and pass protector. After surveying sources from around the league including multiple general managers, Nelson is a consensus elite prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. However, he might go behind lesser prospects in the draft just because he is a guard and many teams don't value guards that high.

Nelson is the most talented and polished offensive lineman in the 2018 NFL Draft class, regardless of position. He also is one of the safest prospects in the draft class. Some team sources think that Nelson could be the best guard in the NFL during his pro career and could be better than former Patriots All-Pro Logan Mankins. Some have higher grades on Nelson than they did on Mankins, David DeCastro and Brandon Scherff.

7/17/17: Nelson was dominant in 2016 and could have been a first-round pick if he had entered the 2017 NFL Draft. Nelson is strong at the point of attack to open holes in the ground game and athletic in pass protection. He was excellent at protecting quarterback DeShone Kizer in 2016. Sources said that Nelson was receiving first-round grades, and one national scout told WalterFootball.com that they think Nelson is a future Pro Bowler similar to Logan Mankins when he came into the NFL.

Nelson broke into the starting lineup as a sophomore and did an impressive job of opening holes for C.J. Prosise. As a freshman in 2014, Nelson was on the scout team. Going into the 2017 season, he is a true senior who has really impressed NFL scouts.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OG.php#AbBvtTkt9rkAGBJX.99

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think you are stuck on the Notre Dame aspect.   I'm not an Irish fan.   I'm going off of what I have read by the experts.   He's a once in a decade type of player and is the surest player in this draft.    The O-line makes the whole team better.  

Nelson, Notre Dame's 2017 Monogram Club Most Valuable Player, has started 35 times in his 36-game, three-year playing career. In 2017, he's started all 12 games at left guard and ranks as the highest-rated offensive lineman in the country by Pro Football Focus (48.1) -- next highest-rated lineman sits at 44.9. Nelson has far surpassed any other offensive guard in the country as well -- next highest-rated guard sits at 39.0.

Nelson has not surrendered a sack or QB hit, and allowed just two QB hurries in 819 offensive snaps this season. In fact, over his career (2,336 snaps), Nelson has surrendered just two sacks, none in the last two years, and only two quarterback hits.

Nelson's the highest-rated offensive guard in terms of run blocking in the country by Pro Football Focus (33.0) as well -- next highest-rated run-blocking guard sits at 25.5.

Quenton Nelson is built like a house, but he moves like a ballerina. Very few human beings that weight 320+ pounds can move like Nelson does. The pure athleticism of Nelson would likely make him a 1st or 2nd round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. However, Nelson attends Notre Dame, a college that has a track record of producing technical offensive linemen. Nelson fits perfectly into that mold, he very rarely has to rely on athleticism to get back into position.

Run Blocking

Unlike the tackle position just being a good pass protector won’t suffice in the NFL. Nelson excels as a run blocker, which isn’t a surprise at his size. The first place where Quenton Nelson excels is pad level, Nelson comes out of the blocks low and with great leverage. Coming from a college that asks offensive linemen to put a hand in the dirt is a huge advantage for players at Notre Dame.

When Nelson comes off the ball he does so with a ton of power. Double teams are regularly road graters, moving defensive linemen off the ball with ease. Even on solo blocks, he has enough power to blow defenders off the ball. However, Nelson’s game isn’t limited to power, he is surprisingly efficient at the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense. Nelson climbs to the second level while he remains smooth and square. Very rarely does he lunge to get a block, and he shows a good understanding of angles for cutoff blocks. You can tell when looking at the Notre Dame offensive line that they are very well coached.

Nelson also has some intangibles you look for in offensive linemen. Nelson has the awareness to find another defender to block once he finishes his first block. He also has the mean streak to try and finish every single block. Pancakes aren’t a “stat” that most track, but more so an indicator. If a lineman has a ton of pancake block it means that he values finishing his blocks.

Pass Blocking

One thing that benefits Quenton Nelson in his pass protection is his size. Standing at 6’5″ 325 pounds, Nelson is too wide for defenders to go around in the trenches. Nelson also has enough size to anchor himself with ease, which makes it very difficult for the defender to get to the quarterback. Most guards that have the size Nelson posses struggle in space, however that may be one of Nelsons biggest selling points to NFL teams.

Nelson moves laterally very well for a guard, regardless of size. For someone of his stature, he moves with incredible agility. Nelson gets left alone on an island at Notre Dame, so he has to cover a lot of ground side to side against defenders, and he very rarely gets beat. There are occasions where he is beat, but that is because there is an unreal amount of grass for the defender.

Another place where he excels is stunt recognition. Many college offensive linemen cannot identify a stunt and want to stay locked on to their initial block. However, Nelson keeps his head on a swivel and does an excellent job of seeing looping defenders. Once Nelson has his hands on a defender it is game over. Nelson has vice grips for hands and can lock down anyone who gets near him.

Bottom Line

Quenton Nelson is more than likely going to be the first guard drafted in this year’s draft. The NFL doesn’t value interior offensive linemen like it should. However, Nelson has a shot to be drafted in the top 10. That says everything you need to know about just how talented Nelson is.

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
Height: 6-5. Weight: 325.
Projected 40 Time: 5.15.
Projected Round (2018): Top-25.

12/9/17: Nelson has dominated for Notre Dame in 2017, showing the ability to overwhelm defensive linemen as a run blocker and pass protector. After surveying sources from around the league including multiple general managers, Nelson is a consensus elite prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. However, he might go behind lesser prospects in the draft just because he is a guard and many teams don't value guards that high.

Nelson is the most talented and polished offensive lineman in the 2018 NFL Draft class, regardless of position. He also is one of the safest prospects in the draft class. Some team sources think that Nelson could be the best guard in the NFL during his pro career and could be better than former Patriots All-Pro Logan Mankins. Some have higher grades on Nelson than they did on Mankins, David DeCastro and Brandon Scherff.

7/17/17: Nelson was dominant in 2016 and could have been a first-round pick if he had entered the 2017 NFL Draft. Nelson is strong at the point of attack to open holes in the ground game and athletic in pass protection. He was excellent at protecting quarterback DeShone Kizer in 2016. Sources said that Nelson was receiving first-round grades, and one national scout told WalterFootball.com that they think Nelson is a future Pro Bowler similar to Logan Mankins when he came into the NFL.

Nelson broke into the starting lineup as a sophomore and did an impressive job of opening holes for C.J. Prosise. As a freshman in 2014, Nelson was on the scout team. Going into the 2017 season, he is a true senior who has really impressed NFL scouts.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OG.php#AbBvtTkt9rkAGBJX.99

I’m actually high on Nelson and watch every ND game...big fan. But I still wouldn’t take him over an elite LT or pass rusher. If we move back into the teens I would take him...just not in the top 10. To me this is a once in a decade opportunity to draft an elite LT or pass rusher or perhaps the best player in the draft Kirkpatrick. I can find adequate guard play later on in the draft or find one in free agency. That’s all I’m saying....you can get a pro bowl guard in free agency...you can’t get a pro bowl tackle. I don’t plan on drafting this high for a long time. No way at 3...and I couldn’t see it unless we traded back outside the top 10. I’m only on the ND thing because we see it time and again on this board. Even though ND is my favorite team I’m not going to get excited by every guy that comes out of there.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Will the Colts be playing beyond 2018? So if we agree they will then let’s have a little foresight and see that left tackle is going to be a pretty big priority moving forward. I’d also like to think we won’t be picking in the top 10 again soon but heck if we take a guard maybe you have a different plan then me. Let’s get elite talent at the most important positions while we are up here. Whether that’s left tackle or pass rush or corner or even qb if Lucks health is a concern.

I do see where you are coming from.   We'll just have to agree to disagree.   We both want to see a solid Colts roster for years to com. 

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I do see where you are coming from.   We'll just have to agree to disagree.   We both want to see a solid Colts roster for years to com. 

I agree probably see different...and that’s cool. I don’t value each position equally. While I don’t think i would pass a star prospect for one I just think would be decent I feel like anyone in the top 10 we would pick we would think should have the likelihood to be a future pro bowler. There are just positions I put a premium on over maybe an equally scored player in another position. Of course in a vacuum it wouldn’t be that way. Also on a team filled differently I might be right there with you but in a position Ballard is in where you almost have to rebuild the entire roster...in roster building I’m targeting those key postions in the draft if I can first because I feel I can find adequate talent in other ways at the other positions. This is purely first round talent I’m talking. Outside that I don’t think you can project anyone to safely be a star talent and thus position might not have the same influence.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Will the Colts be playing beyond 2018? So if we agree they will then let’s have a little foresight and see that left tackle is going to be a pretty big priority moving forward. I’d also like to think we won’t be picking in the top 10 again soon but heck if we take a guard maybe you have a different plan then me. Let’s get elite talent at the most important positions while we are up here. Whether that’s left tackle or pass rush or corner or even qb if Lucks health is a concern.

Our LT is signed until 2019.  After that we either look for another or sign him again to another contract.  Not to sure if you have seen the draft, but there are many LT's that are successful outside of the top picks in the first round.  Nelson, for the sake of this conversation has been considered the safest pick in the draft.  For a team that badly needs help this would be a huge help.  If we were able to get someone like Norwell in FA then you have a much improved line altogether.  AC would still be there at LT and have a potential all-pro next to him.

On 12/24/2017 at 8:53 PM, dw49 said:

Early betting lines on the 2 games that matter are out.

Colts are even. I would expect us to be around minus 2 as we get closer to next Sunday.

Washington is 3 to 3.5 right now. I'm thinking that ones goes to 4.5. They are just better than NY and is home field really a significant edge in that game ? I doubt it.

Here's another interesting item that certainly effects the top of round one.

Neither Rosen or Darnold are locks to come out . Darold is only 20 years old and the word so far is that he could indeed go back to SC for another year. We did see similar with both our guys... Manning and Luck. As to Rosen , here something I just saw in Roto World.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, UCLA QB Josh Rosen prefers to play for the Giants and would be "hesitant to come out in next year's draft" if the Browns pursue him with the first overall pick.

Rosen is still deciding whether to enter the upcoming draft, where he would likely be a first-round selection. Per Schefter, he wants no part of the Browns, however, and may be tempted to return to UCLA for his senior year if it meant avoiding Cleveland. ESPN's Todd McShay projects Rosen as the No. 1 pick while Mel Kiper has him at No. 4. The winless Browns are a lock to draft a quarterback after missing on Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson the past two years.
Source: ESPN.com 
Dec 24 - 9:42 AM

Either way it won't very much effect the Colts draft.Don't worry. Be happy.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Just about every thread involving the draft devolves into who to pick. Personally I would be very disappointed if we took a guard in the top 10. We had great guard play out of Jack before he got hurt. I think the difference between avg guard play and great is small as far as the affect on the field as opposed to a pass rusher or qb or left tackle. We have a bigger need at tackle in my opinion than the interior line. So if you want a lineman in the first let’s talk tackles then. Even tackles that don’t turn out great have a decent shot at moving to guard and being good. Why not Williams if you want a lineman so bad? I swear this board and its Notre Dame fascination is crazy sometimes. Nelson is a great guard prospect...but taking him in the top ten imo seems like over compensating. I wasn’t thrilled we took a center at like #16 or whatever it was for Kelly a slam dunk prospect and we’ve watched Person step up and play just as well if not better. There is a reason left tackles get paid far and away more than any other lineman....because they are more valuable and they are harder to find.

I vote bradley chubbs

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Our LT is signed until 2019.  After that we either look for another or sign him again to another contract.  Not to sure if you have seen the draft, but there are many LT's that are successful outside of the top picks in the first round.  Nelson, for the sake of this conversation has been considered the safest pick in the draft.  For a team that badly needs help this would be a huge help.  If we were able to get someone like Norwell in FA then you have a much improved line altogether.  AC would still be there at LT and have a potential all-pro next to him.

If your fine with an aging AC and think that is ok enough then we just see the roster differently. He has steadily declined since his second contract. I don’t want any part of him on a third unless he gets moved to the right side. As far as the guard postion goes you just said that we could get Norwell in FA. What really good tackle could we lock up in free agency? It just doesn’t happen and if it did it would be like a record contract. Let me get my left tackle or pass rusher early now...I think I can find adequate guard play either in free agency or later in the draft. Anyways I’m just repeating myself. We got bunches on the Nelson board...got it. I’m not spending our 3rd pick on him and I doubt Ballard does either.

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

If your fine with an aging AC and think that is ok enough then we just see the roster differently. He has steadily declined since his second contract. I don’t want any part of him on a third unless he gets moved to the right side. As far as the guard postion goes you just said that we could get Norwell in FA. What really good tackle could we lock up in free agency? It just doesn’t happen and if it did it would be like a record contract. Let me get my left tackle or pass rusher early now...I think I can find adequate guard play either in free agency or later in the draft. Anyways I’m just repeating myself. We got bunches on the Nelson board...got it. I’m not spending our 3rd pick on him and I doubt Ballard does either.

AC has declined to a lot of fans but statistics show him still as an above average guy.  In a league that has many teams needing a LT I will happily keep AC.  As far as his next contract, that is up to Ballard and his play at that time.  Hard to predict any of that.  At the #3 pick, I would trade back regardless of players available if the trade is there.  You trade with someone like Denver or Jets and now I will happily take Nelson or Conner Williams.  For the sake of this discussion you have many saying Nelson is the best thing coming out ever as a Guard.  Better that his former Irish Guard Zach Martin who as a rookie was the first in like 50+ years to be all-pro.  If we can grab a guy that is supposedly the safest pick/better than Zach Martin I am happily taking that at #6 or 7.

Grabbing a Guard in FA this year is something I hope we do as well (Norwell).  If we can then it helps our line out tremendously.  FA will be a huge tell for the draft as well.  Now as far as a LT in FA, well this year is not the year for that.  You do have this as an option in the future and it has happened many times in the past as well.  Just not this year.  Plus you still have many options in the draft this year or next year to grab other linemen.  Again, not all top LT's have been drafted at the top of the 1st round as you are saying.

31 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

AC has declined to a lot of fans but statistics show him still as an above average guy.  In a league that has many teams needing a LT I will happily keep AC.  As far as his next contract, that is up to Ballard and his play at that time.  Hard to predict any of that.  At the #3 pick, I would trade back regardless of players available if the trade is there.  You trade with someone like Denver or Jets and now I will happily take Nelson or Conner Williams.  For the sake of this discussion you have many saying Nelson is the best thing coming out ever as a Guard.  Better that his former Irish Guard Zach Martin who as a rookie was the first in like 50+ years to be all-pro.  If we can grab a guy that is supposedly the safest pick/better than Zach Martin I am happily taking that at #6 or 7.

Grabbing a Guard in FA this year is something I hope we do as well (Norwell).  If we can then it helps our line out tremendously.  FA will be a huge tell for the draft as well.  Now as far as a LT in FA, well this year is not the year for that.  You do have this as an option in the future and it has happened many times in the past as well.  Just not this year.  Plus you still have many options in the draft this year or next year to grab other linemen.  Again, not all top LT's have been drafted at the top of the 1st round as you are saying.

FYI Zack Martin played tackle in college. He was converted to guard which is why I don’t value taking a guard so high. I never say never and like I said if we move back out of the top 10 I would consider taking Nelson...but those saying take him at 3 or take him at 6 or 8 if we trade back...yeah I’ll pass. AC has been decent...but his play has been declining. I would be very hesitant to lock him up long term at left tackle after next year. Slide him over to right tackle...maybe if he and the coaches thought it would work ok...but he isn’t getting better let’s be real with that. I haven’t seen many franchise left tackles make it to free agency...it might happen but it will probably break the bank to get them here. Outside the top 10...or maybe 7 or 8 I might go for Nelson....there are just a very few elite prospects at these important positions on a team and I value them more. Again...I value a franchise tackle more than a franchise guard..all positions are not equal in my eyes. Like in baseball I value a starting pitcher more than a middle reliever or a CF more than a corner outfielder and I value a guard more than a center in basketball. That is why they say guard play carries the day come March. Just me.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

FYI Zack Martin played tackle in college. He was converted to guard which is why I don’t value taking a guard so high. I never say never and like I said if we move back out of the top 10 I would consider taking Nelson...but those saying take him at 3 or take him at 6 or 8 if we trade back...yeah I’ll pass. AC has been decent...but his play has been declining. I would be very hesitant to lock him up long term at left tackle after next year. Slide him over to right tackle...maybe if he and the coaches thought it would work ok...but he isn’t getting better let’s be real with that. I haven’t seen many franchise left tackles make it to free agency...it might happen but it will probably break the bank to get them here. Outside the top 10...or maybe 7 or 8 I might go for Nelson....there are just a very few elite prospects at these important positions on a team and I value them more. Again...I value a franchise tackle more than a franchise guard..all positions are not equal in my eyes. Like in baseball I value a starting pitcher more than a middle reliever or a CF more than a corner outfielder and I value a guard more than a center in basketball. That is why they say guard play carries the day come March. Just me.

I definitely agree with the value for a position.  A LT is very important and I do not disagree with you there.  We do currently have one and again we can always find another in a future draft.  Maybe even this draft in a mid round.  These are all possibilities.  

Now drafting at 6 or 7 again I would be fine with Nelson because he is great at what he does.  He also played LT one whole season while McGlinchey played RT (Does this make you feel better?).  Plus, when people say he was drafted as a OT, but yet has played every snap for the team as a OG.  Then they were drafted to fit the needs of the team and that is as a Guard.  If it makes you or anyone else more comfortable because there draft position says OT then ok.  

At 6 or 7 if we draft Nelson, Williams, Chubbs, or whoever I will be fine with what Ballard does.  Assuming we trade back or pick around these spots.  I am just saying I would be perfectly fine with drafting Nelson.

28 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I definitely agree with the value for a position.  A LT is very important and I do not disagree with you there.  We do currently have one and again we can always find another in a future draft.  Maybe even this draft in a mid round.  These are all possibilities.  

Now drafting at 6 or 7 again I would be fine with Nelson because he is great at what he does.  He also played LT one whole season while McGlinchey played RT (Does this make you feel better?).  Plus, when people say he was drafted as a OT, but yet has played every snap for the team as a OG.  Then they were drafted to fit the needs of the team and that is as a Guard.  If it makes you or anyone else more comfortable because there draft position says OT then ok.  

At 6 or 7 if we draft Nelson, Williams, Chubbs, or whoever I will be fine with what Ballard does.  Assuming we trade back or pick around these spots.  I am just saying I would be perfectly fine with drafting Nelson.

I’m not thrilled investing a top 10 pick in filling our guard spot. I’d rather invest that capital in a pass rusher or left tackle or CB or qb. I like you will be perfectly happy landing any of those picks...less happy spending a top 10 on Nelson. I have NOTHING against Nelson...he just so happens to play a position I don’t consider a high priority when it comes to investing our limited capital in filling.

I'm starting to think take Chubb if he's a blue chip pass rusher.  

I think the 2nd best tackle or guard will be there for our 2nd.(if we dont address it in FA.). For our 3rd , a god d MLB would be nice.

the rest for OL, LB, RB, or WR.... whatever Ballard thinks.'

if the right trade is there, grab it, but pass rush is so hard to find.

i'm excited for FA too since we have a bunch of $.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:16 AM, dgambill said:

Just about every thread involving the draft devolves into who to pick. Personally I would be very disappointed if we took a guard in the top 10. We had great guard play out of Jack before he got hurt. I think the difference between avg guard play and great is small as far as the affect on the field as opposed to a pass rusher or qb or left tackle. We have a bigger need at tackle in my opinion than the interior line. So if you want a lineman in the first let’s talk tackles then. Even tackles that don’t turn out great have a decent shot at moving to guard and being good. Why not Williams if you want a lineman so bad? I swear this board and its Notre Dame fascination is crazy sometimes. Nelson is a great guard prospect...but taking him in the top ten imo seems like over compensating. I wasn’t thrilled we took a center at like #16 or whatever it was for Kelly a slam dunk prospect and we’ve watched Person step up and play just as well if not better. There is a reason left tackles get paid far and away more than any other lineman....because they are more valuable and they are harder to find.

There is a reason the worst athletes on the field are interior lineman.....they aren't as valuable as other positions.