Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ongoing Colts 2018 draft talk........

Myles

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I’d rather spend on those guys too....just not sure there will be any blue chip lineman get away for us to go after...whatever the case I’m spending money this offseason to fill holes that I don’t want to fill in the draft and that to me is a starting wr that can take coverage off Hilton...and to get that we would have to invest a high pick...so even though I wish I didn’t have too...I think it’s the logical direction. Just look at what Jefferies has done to help Philly and despite Watkins numbers he has drawn so much attention that lesser guys like Kupp etc have been able to run free. I’m afraid we have our hands tied....especially since the Dorsett pick didn’t work out.

I think Norwell will hit free agency, but there's a long time til March.

And I'm fine with signing a FA WR, I just don't want to spend $12m/year on Jarvis Landry. 

I do think Jeffery has been great for the Eagles, but I don't see Watkins as that kind of player. I could be wrong.

Do you think Ballard will re-sign Moncrief. He is another Grigson guy that has been spotty at best. I just don’t see it honestly (even if I wouldn’t mind it on the right deal). If we re-sign Moncrief (outside wr) then Landry is the perfect fit for this offense in the slot. Add a big athletic project in the middle rounds and I think that is a good core. Landry and Watkins will be the big names in FA and probably command top dollar but I think we have the resources to pull it off and I think it’s a priority and one that I think production can be easily translated to our team. If we let Moncrief go then I could see Robinson and Watkins be targets.

Landry would be the perfect but I don't see him hitting FA.  Watkins is young and he could be a great addition with Luck as his QB.  And I think he has a better chance to hit FA than Landry. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I'd rather us have 1 top tier guy than 2 meh

Yeah because our roster is mostly "meh" players anyway... and we see what that got us.  Its time for a couple of difference makers on either side of the ball if we can manage it.

I am not sold on Chubb yet.  I am sure he is a good player, but I am thinking he is right there in the "meh" range.  Better than Basham, but a long way away from Garrett.  

I am anxious to see how some of these guys grade out at the combine.  Last year was supposed to be a "deep" EDGE class.  I haven't really seen anyone that wows this year.  I understand it can take a few years, but comparing it to this year, where would Chubb fit in with last year's guys?  Mid-pack?  Maybe upper third?  It will be interesting to see.

I guess my point is, I am thinking Barkley will be awful hard to pass up even though our pass rush is 5 seconds too slow.  That is if we are looking for true difference makers vs. "meh".

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Landry would be the perfect but I don't see him hitting FA.  Watkins is young and he could be a great addition with Luck as his QB.  And I think he has a better chance to hit FA than Landry. 

I actually think it’s a certainty Landry makes it to FA. Dolphins were over the cap last year and only about 14 million under before signing draft pics etc and they have much bigger pressing needs than wr. They have Stills and Parker who they love so I think they will let Landry walk. Don’t get me wrong...anything can happen and I hate spending huge money in free agency but we have a real need in the slot and he is the best in free agency.

I actually think it’s a certainty Landry makes it to FA. Dolphins were over the cap last year and only about 14 million under before signing draft pics etc and they have much bigger pressing needs than wr. They have Stills and Parker who they love so I think they will let Landry walk. Don’t get me wrong...anything can happen and I hate spending huge money in free agency but we have a real need in the slot and he is the best in free agency.

I guess it's possible but I would be shocked.  I think there is a tag they could use that could result in them getting a pick if they don't match.  He is a good one to let go for nothing.  I do like Watkins a lot though. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I guess it's possible but I would be shocked.  I think there is a tag they could use that could result in them getting a pick if they don't match.  He is a good one to let go for nothing.  I do like Watkins a lot though. 

I trust Ballard to bring in an upgrade at wr to help this anemic offense. I’m sure though a lot on here have that Hakeem Nicks feel when they look at Watkins.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And what makes you think that?

If Gore is gone, Charles wouldn't be bad if he comes real cheap.   He rushed for over 4 yards a carry on a bad Denver offense this year.    I don't think he could be the main back, but he could spell Mack some.  

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And what makes you think that?

Well Denver isn't even utilizing him, I think he could bring some speed to offense with limited carries, likely just as the 3rd down back.

I'd rather us draft a RB within the first four rounds (praying for Guice) but even then we could still use Charles in our backfield.

17 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Well Denver isn't even utilizing him, I think he could bring some speed to offense with limited carries, likely just as the 3rd down back.

I'd rather us draft a RB within the first four rounds (praying for Guice) but even then we could still use Charles in our backfield.

Maybe so I just think he is done. I have been wrong before but IMO if he still had gas in the tank Denver would have been using him.

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe so I just think he is done. I have been wrong before but IMO if he still had gas in the tank Denver would have been using him.

Denver’s offense has been broke all season, I don’t think it’s fair to judge how much he has left off of that.

A lot of fans want S Barkley, I'm not a fan of RB early 1st round or of Barkley. I believe Penny SDSU is just as  good as is the LSU RB Guice. So upcoming Washington vs Penn State I'll watch at least the 1st half before I have to go to work. Want to see the hype on the big stage.

8 minutes ago, SevaColt said:

A lot of fans want S Barkley, I'm not a fan of RB early 1st round or of Barkley. I believe Penny SDSU is just as  good as is the LSU RB Guice. So upcoming Washington vs Penn State I'll watch at least the 1st half before I have to go to work. Want to see the hype on the big stage.

Same here.  We’ll see over the next 3 hours 

1 hour ago, SevaColt said:

Big stage no problem.  I love his size and it looks like he can do it all. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No.  They are doing it for this game.  I'm convinced take him!

He’s on my short list of guys I want the Colts to draft if they stay at number three.  Honestly a game changing back might do a lot to back teams off of rushing the Colts QB every play. If the Colts had a back that other teams fear then they are going to game plan for that rather than think get to the QB at all costs and if we give up a decent run we can live with it like they tend to play the Colts now.  

3 minutes ago, SevaColt said:

I'm convinced he's damn good. Not convinced to take him with top 3 pick. Maybe we have another option instead of a team looking for QB to trade down.

He looks to be the real deal and I think someone will pay a fortune for him. We have too many needs.   

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s on my short list of guys I want the Colts to draft if they stay at number three.  Honestly a game changing back might do a lot to back teams off of rushing the Colts QB every play. If the Colts had a back that other teams fear then they are going to game plan for that rather than think get to the QB at all costs and if we give up a decent run we can live with it like they tend to play the Colts now.  

If the O line is “fixed” in free agency, i could agree with your sentiment.  If he’s truly the generational RB that they’re hyping him to be, he could be our new Edge.

What bothers me is how he played against my Buckeyes and MSU.   There are plenty of really good RBs available in this draft.  

Hopefully we trade the pick and get a later 1 and an extra 2.  

A quality O-line and dominant rushing attack would be the best way to protect Luck long term.  With the amount of free agency money we have, and considering our 2nd could basically be another 1st(nearly as high as most of our 1st rounders have been over the past 15 years), I wouldn't automatically dismiss the idea of taking him.  Yes, we want to protect Luck, and having a dominant rushing attack would go a long way to helping protect him.

3 hours ago, Restored said:

Who’s old and washed up? Maybe 4 years ago you’d have a case.

4 years ago? Have you even watched Charles play this year? He's averaged more ypc than Mack behind a similarly terrible OL. It's a complete stretch to say Mack has been better than Charles at any point in his career, nonetheless now.