Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castanzo carted off after walk-through/warm ups....

Jackie Daytona

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Y'know, I'm not really sure you got my point.   I agree, no human being is made to take repeated collisions with the level of violence that modern NFL players are subjected to.  Now, since you are so fond of physics, do the laws of such dictate a difference in ability to absorb such insane levels of abuse between say, yourself, and Ndamakong Suh, for example?  Sure.  Mr. Suh's body will hold up much better than yours, or mine, to the rigors of an NFL season.  The laws of physics dictate such.  So, sorry if I pee'd in your cornflakes today, but you can take your "Skip Bayless level hot-takes" comment and do whatever you would like with it.

"NFL players are fragile" is the hot take I was referring to, not your post but I see that wasn't clear.

Pagano: Yeah AC is fine, questionable for Sunday but he's one tough player, heckuva player.  

Mike Wells: What happened to him? 

Pagano: Knee, yeah he has a knee.  

Mike Wells: OK???????  What happened to him, how did he do it???

Pagano: Warm ups, yeah he had a knee in warm ups, yeah. No... Yeah...

Mike Wells: I'm going to go jump off a cliff.

Pagano: Yeah you'll have a back or neck after that one. Yeah... No...

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Better to see what he can do at LT when Brissett is playing than to see what a college rookie can do at LT when Luck is playing.  No joke.

I am not expecting to see a rookie at LT with Costanzo on the roster.  I think the Guards are the issues now.  RT becomes an issue if Good demonstrates he can't handle it the rest of the way.  Ballard can always address the OL through FA and trades.  I'll be pulling for Brissett to survive if Clark plays LT.   

32 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

There seems to be something wrong with the modern day athletes. Twenty plus years ago these players in all sports were not getting so many acl injuries, pulled hamstrings, shoulder injuries and the like. I don't know if it's the equipment, diet, weight training or what. I do know that these injuries have become so common in all sports.

Check out the size difference in players between now and the 70s.  Offensive linemen for example were topping out at like 225lb.  That's the size of a safety now. That accounts for a lot of it.  Bigger bodies equal bigger collisions.  The increased size also put significant strain on joints, specifically knees.

Frankly, I'm not sure the human body is meant to be that big.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am not expecting to see a rookie at LT with Costanzo on the roster.  I think the Guards are the issues now.  RT becomes an issue if Good demonstrates he can't handle it the rest of the way.  Ballard can always address the OL through FA and trades.  I'll be pulling for Brissett to survive if Clark plays LT.   

Yeah.  Not sure which camp you're in.  There's a lot of people on this forum who want to cut AC and draft an LT with our #1 pick.  I think that would be a mistake because both LTs and RTs cost money and AC really isn't that expensive, so I'd like to keep him on the roster, no matter at LT or RT but not devote a high draft pick to either position if possible.  That means exploring every option we have until the spring.

17 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Check out the size difference in players between now and the 70s.  Offensive linemen for example were topping out at like 225lb.  That's the size of a safety now. That accounts for a lot of it.  Bigger bodies equal bigger collisions.  The increased size also put significant strain on joints, specifically knees.

At least not that big combined with 5.0 40 speed crashing into a likewise human.  In many ways, 1970s football was more entertaining.

47 minutes ago, Jaric said:

"NFL players are fragile" is the hot take I was referring to, not your post but I see that wasn't clear.

ah, I gotcha, that's what I get for not going back and reading all new posts since my last.......  

Yeah, I agree with you, NFL players are fragile all of a sudden?  Nah......  I do think there is some merit in the CBA argument though...... maybe guys are not as thoroughly conditioned, or maybe just back then with the old CBA, injuries were spread across a larger practice/conditioning schedule in the offseason so it seemed like less guys were hurt annually?  I dunno

58 minutes ago, Jaric said:

They were bigger than 225 lbs as you stated. I just looked up Art Shell and he was listed at 265. They were actually larger and fatter in the 80's, but now they are quicker, faster and more frail. What's happened to DeShaun Watson is just crazy. These freak injuries are occurring way more often.

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

FALSE ALARM!!!

Pagano just said the media has overblown it. 

Just passing along what I heard Pagano say in his press conference a few minutes ago. 

Pagano said AC was questionable for Sunday. 

Simon, Matt Jones, and Quincy are all ruled out. 

How is it a false alarm? For all we know he could be questionable today and doubtful tomorrow. Something must be so bad he is unlikely to play Sunday for him to be carted off. Has the injury been diagnosed yet?

7 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

How is it a false alarm? For all we know he could be questionable today and doubtful tomorrow. Something must be so bad he is unlikely to play Sunday for him to be carted off. Has the injury been diagnosed yet?

He wasn’t carted off in the way the media made it seem to be. He is questionable for the game. It seems the local media jumped on this story and exaggerated it. 

That said, who knows. 

2 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Pagano: Yeah AC is fine, questionable for Sunday but he's one tough player, heckuva player.  

Can you start covering press briefings in INDY M-432? LOL! They're much more bearable under yr guidance & jurisdiction my friend. You Rock! :rock:

In all seriousness to Chuck, I do feel for the guy. I know it's brutal being HC right now Pagano. 

Why does the strength & conditioning coach position always haunt this franchise like an albatross around our team's neck? Sigh...I'm not claiming it's deliberate or even intentional just that we always seem snake bit in this area for as long as I can remember. 

I pray that Anthony Castonzo will be okay or at least recover quickly. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Can you start covering press briefings in INDY M-432? LOL! They're much more bearable under yr guidance & jurisdiction my friend. You Rock! :rock:

In all seriousness to Chuck, I do feel for the guy. I know it's brutal being HC right now Pagano. 

Like Ballard said; “No one cares about your problems, they just want to see results”. 

They’ll bring somebody in but people will start whining about something. Unless of course, it’s one of coaches who never make mistakes, like ah...er um...

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah.  Not sure which camp you're in.  There's a lot of people on this forum who want to cut AC and draft an LT with our #1 pick.  I think that would be a mistake because both LTs and RTs cost money and AC really isn't that expensive, so I'd like to keep him on the roster, no matter at LT or RT but not devote a high draft pick to either position if possible.  That means exploring every option we have until the spring.

Starting a rookie at LT with Luck returning makes me very nervous.  Even if he is a 1st. rd pick.  I have not really looked at the draft too much but I don't recall it being a very strong class for OT.   I think AC is a better player than most people give him credit for so I can see him staying there.  I don't think he is a weak link on the line.  Plenty of teams would be happy to have him as their LT IMO.  That said if they decide to upgrade the LT spot I would prefer they do it with an experienced player possibly in a trade but I think they will stay with him for now.   I'm really hoping Good makes it.  He has really worked hard for it and if he does it solves a big need.  I'm sure Ballard will explore every option in the offseason to upgrade the line.  Even if we trade our 1st. pick we could always acquire a player as part of the trade along with extra picks. 

Honestly, I don't believe the Colts' strength and conditioning coaches are any worse than any other teams'. The injuries around the NFL this year are brutal. The league really needs to consider expanding rosters. The game is getting rougher as the players morph into larger and faster specimens. Larger rosters will help teams wade through the increasing number of injuries. Just my opinion but the quality of play is suffering. Expand to 60 players on the active roster and allow more players to suit up on game day. 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah Pagano and I could communicate well.  

Malakai: So coach, AC has a knee, has a knee in warm ups??? Yeah, no?

Pagano: Yep, yeah a knee.  Heckuva player

Malakai: Yep, no yeah.  A fighter indeed.  

*End of discussion.  

On 11/3/2017 at 4:23 PM, Malakai432 said:

Lol, I would hope he has two knees...lol!

On 11/3/2017 at 5:04 PM, Shafty138 said:

ah, I gotcha, that's what I get for not going back and reading all new posts since my last.......  

Yeah, I agree with you, NFL players are fragile all of a sudden?  Nah......  I do think there is some merit in the CBA argument though...... maybe guys are not as thoroughly conditioned, or maybe just back then with the old CBA, injuries were spread across a larger practice/conditioning schedule in the offseason so it seemed like less guys were hurt annually?  I dunno

Oh it's cool man.  I re-read my post and it wasn't clear at all.

No worries!