Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay furious about Luck situation, feels he was misled

Steamboat_Shaun

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

If he's mad at the Dr's and the new GM, that's misguided too..

Not at Ballard, but sounds like he's definitely mad at the medical staff. And who knows, it might be about more than just the Luck thing, it could be just be the fact that the medical staff just simply isn't doing a good job.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not at Ballard, but sounds like he's definitely mad at the medical staff. And who knows, it might be about more than just the Luck thing, it could be just be the fact that the medical staff just simply isn't doing a good job.

That second tweet read like if there was someone to be mad at, he was mad at them- at least that's what I got out of it.

After banging out several posts about how "maybe it's not anyone's fault- including Irsay", he's allegedly angry about things out of anyone's control too..

I'm kind of curious what one has to do to get to be involved in pro sports medicine and then end up *bad* at it..

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

That second tweet read like if there was someone to be mad at, he was mad at them- at least that's what I got out of it.

After banging out several posts about how "maybe it's not anyone's fault- including Irsay", he's allegedly angry about things out of anyone's control too..

Maybe. He hasn't said anything publicly though, so it's kind of a mystery.

Dr. David Chao urging that the Colts ought to get Andrew Luck to have an exploratory surgery, straight away, to show what an MRI cannot 100% reliably show, that is, that the Labrum is indeed 100% fixed.  Also, so that if there is any scar tissue to clean-up, they can do that straight away as well, not to mention that if the exploration shows some other issue, that can immediately be corrected as well.

He says that medically speaking, to say rest and rehab should be able to get everything straightened out may be valid, but to wait three months, then discover things have not healed as hoped, thus necessitating surgery in three months time is a delay of wishful thinking that makes no sense for the team because by taking that delayed time frame could potentially put 2018 in jeopardy.

Ergo, his best advice from the TEAM perspective is to accelerate the process by having surgery now, exploratory, so if there are any problems, those problem can be fixed now instead of in three months time -> which would put a tight time-frame for being ready for the beginning of next year.

51 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Dr. David Chao urging that the Colts ought to get Andrew Luck to have an exploratory surgery, straight away, to show what an MRI cannot 100% reliably show, that is, that the Labrum is indeed 100% fixed.  Also, so that if there is any scar tissue to clean-up, they can do that straight away as well, not to mention that if the exploration shows some other issue, that can immediately be corrected as well.

He says that medically speaking, to say rest and rehab should be able to get everything straightened out may be valid, but to wait three months, then discover things have not healed as hoped, thus necessitating surgery in three months time is a delay of wishful thinking that makes no sense for the team because by taking that delayed time frame could potentially put 2018 in jeopardy.

Ergo, his best advice from the TEAM perspective is to accelerate the process by having surgery now, exploratory, so if there are any problems, those problem can be fixed now instead of in three months time -> which would put a tight time-frame for being ready for the beginning of next year.

Wouldn't be surprised or upset at all if this happened.

9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Blah blah blah....sorry I don't believe it.

I think if anyone was misleading it was Irsay. He kept saying that Luck will be back soon multiple, multiple times.

He was saying that because that is what he was being told by doctors, trainers,etc.

last i checked , Irsay didnt have an MD behind his name.

why is this so difficult to understand.

if a service manager tells the owner all the trucks have been serviced, the owner doesnt then rip apart the engines to see for himself.(even if he had the expertise to do so)

3 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Really, what difference does it make? Not playing means not playing, full stop. If you bought a ticket on the basis of seeing Luck, tough, but these things happen in sport. The moaning about this is just nonsense...

FINALLY!

A voice of reason.  

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

He was saying that because that is what he was being told by doctors, trainers,etc.

last i checked , Irsay didnt have an MD behind his name.

why is this so difficult to understand.

if a service manager tells the owner all the trucks have been serviced, the owner doesnt then rip apart the engines to see for himself.(even if he had the expertise to do so)

Exactly and I am siding with JMV on this.  If Irsay was mislead then there is something terribly wrong with this organization.  And there isn't. 

As I mentioned yesterday.  Everyone, including Irsay, thought he (Luck) would be ready for the start of the season or thereabouts.

Not one person knew exactly what would happen until it happened.  The idea that anyone, including docs and therapists, knew that he was going to be out for the season is ludicrous.  

Injuries and the repair of them are as unique as the person they effect.  It can be speculated when and how they should get back to normal, but there is no exact science or recipe to make it happen on any sort of regular basis to be able to predict with exact accuracy.  To think otherwise is to lie to yourself.

Buy a ticket or don't.  Like I said, most of us are adults and should be able to make a decision of whether we want to take a chance to watch a Luckless Colts unit or continue to be a fan and watch the team that is on the field.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Wouldn't be surprised or upset at all if this happened.

Very likely.  If the "soreness" or whatever it is going on doesn't subside soon, I would guess we can plan on it.  Better sooner than later so we can get more definite answers and re-start the rehab.....

Or for some... the re-start of the worrying and speculation for next season or career.

Maybe there is some unexpected scar tissue that has made his shoulder a bit tighter than he was expecting.  I know from experience that breaking scar tissue loose (to free up tendons and ligaments) can be very painful regardless of where in your body it is.

19 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Thanks for your link SS. I really dislike paragraphs like this one from the story. 

"What we potentially have now is an angry owner, who made public announcements, despite not knowing that he may have been at least partially kept in the dark. This is all while his star quarterback is in the 2nd year of a 6-year, $140 million extension, signed in June of 2016, which pays Luck $27 million in 2017." 

I say that because it conveys the impression that all owners are greedy & want a return on their investment. Yes, we know as fans that Irsay craves an enthusiastic patronage, jersey sales, ticket sales, & money coming in regularly into Lucas Oil Stadium, but let's not create the misguided perception that Jimmy is heartless & cold about Luck's recovery either. 

18 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Of course i do.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000856773/article/andrew-luck-offers-no-timetable-for-return-to-playing

"Asked point blank if he'll play this season, the sixth-year signal-caller responded: "I'll definitely play this year. No question."

Why are you calling out our face of the franchise? What constructive purpose does this serve exactly? Honest question. 

4 hours ago, indy1888 said:

I don't think anyone is blaming Irsay for Luck not being able to throw. I also believe most can understand that sometimes things go wrong after a surgery or a rehab process.  The issue people have with Irsay is that he was not transparent enough during this process. He said Luck would be ready to start the season, he said there had been no setbacks and he was healing tremendously. He even went as far as to say that even thought it was unlikely they weren't ready to rule Luck out for week 1 just 10 days prior.  Then the season starts and the weeks pass and there is no Luck and there is no word from Irsay.  Why not?  A simple "Luck is not healing as expected" would have been fine, instead we got nothing and dumb comments from Pagano just yesterday saying "nothing had changed" in his  confidence that Luck would play?  Really??? Later the same day he ends up on IR.  It's a joke.  This all could have been handled better from Irsay and this is becoming a problem post Polian. This team needs a team president or someone that can handle situations like this because Irsay is a disaster at it.  Even if his intent wasn't to mislead, he has managed to make the majority of the fan base feel that way. Yesterday when they had the press conference to announce that Luck was on IR, what was the first thing they wanted to say?  They wanted to make a statement on how they never tried to mislead or lie to anyone. That means they know they have misled people.  I have always liked Irsay as an owner and defended him like crazy over the Manning/Luck choice, but lately it's hard for me to defend the guy.  He hasn't done much right lately and thats a fact. Maybe the hiring of Ballard is a start, but way too early to tell.

We all screw up even me & I've stepped in it more then once in my lifetime. Seriously, creating the misguided rhetoric that Jimmy is either overwhelmed, deceptive, or self absorbed is beyond shortsighted. Do you really think an owner who has been so forthcoming about his ongoing ordeal with alcohol & painkillers with his fanbase would intentionally lie to them? I don't because when you hit rock bottom & are that candid publicly about personal demons that screams sincerity to me. Now, perhaps doctors misinterpreted symptoms & at most, Jimmy was just overly optimistic & wants to win & put a quality product on the field. That's my take on the situation. 

This whole thing is so ridicules. I heard the same optimistic statements by Irsay as everyone else did. Did I take them as statements of fact? Absolutely not. I understand he is not a doctor so was stating the most optimistic prognosis. Medicine is not an absolute thing. Because he stated his optimistic take from the doctor and it didn't turn out as he hoped makes him a liar? Read the Star (Doyle) and listen to 1070 and you come away believing he and the whole Colt organization are liars, including Andrew as he stated unequivocally that he would play this year.

I am very upset at a particular sports writer and so called sportscasters who feel that they have free reign at being critical at anyone , calling them liars or whatever and get away with it. 90% of the people being critical on here are taking their cue from these dudes. I hear JMV talk about needing a Colt President and I read on the site someone mentioning we need a President. Coincidence? No way.

These same guys can state that Pagano will be gone the day after the Jacksonville game. Didn't happen. Does this make the liars? Dokich brags that his source told him months ago that Andrew wouldn't play this year and he claims his source knew for a fact. nonsense. Guarantee the surgeon didn't even know.

As I stated, medicine is not an exact science and everyone's body heals differently. Get over it!

This makes him look worse you're the owner. If you were intentionally misled you probably should fire these guys. 

Now if they told you this is what they thought was going to happen and it didn't well that can't be controlled the human body isn't an exact science.

Re Mr Doyel: He is hyper critical and the first to dump on you when things are going badly. Note his comments on the Paul George trade. A one sided disaster is how he described it at first. Now....the front runner is all about how fair the trade was. Same with the Colts. He's best ignored. 

While he's exhibiting fury, he should aim some at whoever convinced him the o line was fixed......nobodys gonna buy me feeling sorry for a billionaire, but in this case I do.   He's had his trust violated for three years. Hopefully Ballard can bring in a staff that can think beyond clamouring to save their own jobs.  Probably an unpopular opinion but I believe he's been taken advantage of.  "It starts at the top"  I know.  But at the top you can only act on the information you're given.  I credit Irsay for his patience and optimism, it's an approach I would have been incapable of taking if in his shoes over the last few years. I just hope he's fed up and Ballard is the dude I think he is.......

On 11/3/2017 at 8:11 AM, DougDew said:

Irsay shouldn't have been speaking in public about matters is doesn't know.  He's not a medical professional so anything he here's about Luck's shoulder is hearsay, but he spoke about it in more absolute terms than he should have.

Its possible that he could have been misled by the doctors.  That once they got into the shoulder they saw more damage than what was being reported, but the rehab would be about the same, only towards the long end of the estimate and not the short end, and Irsay was talking about the short end.  

Yes Irsay did.  Which is his problem.  He should have followed the lead of Ballard or  Luck himself.  Heck even Chuck Pagano had enough sense than to not try to estimate Luck's return.  But Irsay as owner has other interests to accommodate namely trying to convince ticket holders that this season had something to "look forward to".  I don't put much stock into what Irsay says.  He likes to run his mouth, tweet and be seen.  If you listened to Ballard and Luck none of what transpired really should be that surprising to anyone.  In my opinion, Irsay being "furious" is his attempt to align himself again with the fanbase and say look it wasn't my fault...I didn't know either.  In the meantime, his reaction gives an aura of incompetence to the handling of this whole situation feeding the media frenzy.  Regardless, Ballard is handing this Luck situation correctly and competently despite the actions of the owner he works for. 

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes Irsay did.  Which is his problem.  He should have followed the lead of Ballard or  Luck himself.  Heck even Chuck Pagano had enough sense than to not try to estimate Luck's return.  But Irsay as owner has other interests to accommodate namely trying to convince ticket holders that this season had something to "look forward to".  I don't put much stock into what Irsay says.  He likes to run his mouth, tweet and be seen.  If you listened to Ballard and Luck none of what transpired really should be that surprising to anyone.  In my opinion, Irsay being "furious" is his attempt to align himself again with the fanbase and say look it wasn't my fault...I didn't know either.  In the meantime, his reaction gives an aura of incompetence to the handling of this whole situation feeding the media frenzy.  Regardless, Ballard is handing this Luck situation correctly and competently despite the actions of the owner he works for. 

I think you are wrong. Since Irsay had his problems with getting arrested he stopped tweeting and as you say being seen. You want to hate on Irsay feel free but you are going to be disappointed for a  long time.

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you are wrong. Since Irsay had his problems with getting arrested he stopped tweeting and as you say being seen. You want to hate on Irsay feel free but you are going to be disappointed for a  long time.

lt's kind of disturbing that you can't distinguish critical opinions from hate. I don't hate Irsay but I don't think he is effective when he tries to operate as the franchise's face.  Post Polian-era, the public perception of the franchise's front office outside of Colts Nation is largely one of incompetence mostly due to the babbling and judgment gaffes of our owner.  He has a competent GM in Ballard who he should allow to serve as the front office face in my opinion.  That is not one of Irsay's strengths.  Also we all know Irsay is the owner and not going anywhere...not a news flash there.  I just think he needs to fade into the background more and run his mouth less.  But he is the owner and will do whatever the heck he wants.  The public perception of our franchise will suffer for it though. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

lt's kind of disturbing that you can't distinguish critical opinions from hate. I don't hate Irsay but I don't think he is effective when he tries to operate as the franchise's face.  Post Polian-era, the public perception of the franchise's front office outside of Colts Nation is largely one of incompetence mostly due to the babbling and judgment gaffes of our owner.  He has a competent GM in Ballard who he should allow to serve as the front office face in my opinion.  That is not one of Irsay's strengths.  Also we all know Irsay is the owner and not going anywhere...not a news flash there.  I just think he needs to fade into the background more and run his mouth less.  But he is the owner and will do whatever the heck he wants.  The public perception of our franchise will suffer for it though. 

Nonsense. Irsay is well liked and respected by the other owners. ( maybe with the exception of Kraft)  ESPN and other media hounds have had a problem with Irsay since his team supposedly ratted on Brady. You can eat up all the media horse dung all you care to without seeing it for what it is.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Nonsense. Irsay is well liked and respected by the other owners. ( maybe with the exception of Kraft)  ESPN and other media hounds have had a problem with Irsay since his team supposedly ratted on Brady. You can eat up all the media horse dung all you care to without seeing it for what it is.

Well...his DUI charge and drinking issues certainly hasn't done any favors for his public image.   He might be making strides on improving himself but damage has already been done.  You might be surprised how fans of other teams view our owner.   It's not just the media. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Well...his DUI charge and drinking issues certainly hasn't done any favors for his public image.   He might be making strides on improving himself but damage has already been done.  You might be surprised how fans of other teams view our owner.   It's not just the media. 

I could give a rats behind what other fans of other teams think of Irsay. Since you have joined that crowd feel free to think what you want.

From watching and paying close attention throughout the entire situation up until the latest development, I don't see any reason to be angry with anyone.  

Irsay was optomistic. Luck was fairly sure he would play this season...as far as saying "definately".  Coaches, trainers and Dr.'s were trying to take things cautiously.  He was healing and performing well until the week he started throwing constantly and doing longer routes.  Most likely there would have been no warning signs that he was not ready for more strenuous workload.  I've had surgery to repair all the ligaments all the way around the albow of my main arm before. And I tell you, you are cautious with it even when others tell you you're ok.  It's scarey to think that you may retear it.  So soreness appears, and then doesn't go away the next day, or the next week or two after a good workload.  They decide to take the ultimate precaution and sit him for the year to take even the idea of him playing off the table so no-one is 'tempted' to put him out before he is really ready.  I'm not angry with anyone in the Colts organization, i am actually pleased with how they handled it.  just dissapointed Luck can't play this season.  but that doesn't make it anyone's fault.

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

A homer is a front office sheep. You've been hoodwinked and bamboozled.  Too drunk on the blue kool aid to see straight even in regards to Pagano.  But I digress...you're a homer.  I'm leaving it at that. 

I explained my issues with Pagano in detail. If you have a difference of opinion that's your right. You can eat up all the bull crap the media feeds you and you have the audacity to call me hoodwinked and bamboozled? Ok, that is what separates the difference between you and me. I choose to look at why things happen not what the media tells me.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I explained my issues with Pagano in detail. If you have a difference of opinion that's your right. You can eat up all the bull crap the media feeds you and you have the audacity to call me hoodwinked and bamboozled? Ok, that is what separates the difference between you and me. I choose to look at why things happen not what the media tells me.

Whatever you need to tell yourself bruh.

Nice try Jim.  

I'm not falling for it.  

If you of all people didn't know what was going on then you need to fire everyone or sell the team/retire.  

He's deflecting.  

Classic technique of a person who purposely didn't tell the truth to sell a few extra tickets.