Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne Open to Going to the Pats [Merge]

Smonroe

Its just Reggie, this is how he talked the every ttime his contract is up. He is just a straight shooter. He has said he would love to stay, but noone is talking to him. He has said that a few times in interviews. He just likes a little respect, like anyone would.

Skipping mini camp is not the way to gain respect in my eyes. or probably the front office either.......

Im surprised no one posted this yet.

I haven’t heard anything from them yet, so maybe I am not as important on the chain of command as I should be.”

This was said like a couple days ago i believe so it isnt like he just said it but the guy is not making it easy for the colts to sign him with the way he's talking.

http://profootballta...g-for-patriots/

To be honest i dont think wayne can offer the colts anything that they cant get off the open market especially at his age

Those links are in the original article if click on it, also is comment by belchibck on wayne loving him, u click on it and get a 2009 article that expands on what Belichick thought of wayne then

here is the article

“I mean, I can’t say enough about Reggie Wayne,’’ Belichick said. “That guy is the best receiver we cover every year and it seems like he just keeps getting better. I thought the routes he ran and the catches he made were nothing short of spectacular, with the go route, the two touchdown catches, the third-down conversion on the corner route in front of our bench. He’s a tremendous receiver and he had some production against us.’’

http://www.boston.co...of_colts_wayne/

I have a hard time reading into Reggie's comments all of the negatives that some poster have apparently felt from this report. Wayne's contract is up in a month. If the Colts didn't want him to hit free agency, they should at least be talking now about an extension. Reggie has made it clear that he wants to finish his career as a Colt, but the Colts have not made any overtures to get talks started. What is he supposed to say?

As long as we're all postulating and pontificating...

I've seen Prima Donna's and Reggie is not one of them. It's too early for the Colts to be contacting players. Their contracts don't even expire for a month.

I predict the Colts re-sign Reggie to 3 or 4 year 8 mil/yr. Just look at whom he outperformed last year without a significant QB. 75 receptions and just shy of 1000 yards. He's never been a speedster. He's a quintessential route runner. His hands and durability is as good as it gets. He's one of the best of the free agents. The Colts need a speedster opposite him to force double teams. Garcon? Ah'm not sure. There are a lot of good wide out FA's this year. The Colts should capitalize.

Totally agree. I don't get all this "prima donna" talk, Reggie has always been a class guy.

I also agree with everything else you said, except about the Colts re-signing him.

thank you. reggie is a workaholic

I really doubt they'd sign him, they need a speed receiver. They already went the old vet route with 85 and that didn't work out too well.

But, it looks like he won't be a Colt next year anyway.

If I was Wayne I would want to go to the Pats too, because without an Elite QB people will really find out his true caliber of play.

I am sure that Reggie is all kinds of broken up over you not respecting him.

And so he should be. Does he know who I am? Although if he turns up for any meetings with the Colts to discuss his future, he should arrive in a big truck dressed as a construction worker. Or maybe as Big Bird? That will get him loads more respect.....

Why does he keep talking? No one has heard Mathis say a word about his contract situation. Wayne keeps talking and making a huge deal out of it and acting like an annoying prima donna. Reggie isn't a top 5 WR, and he's close to falling out of the top 10. The more he talks, the more annoyed I get. He isn't the only free agent on the team, but he is drawing attention to himself like mad

lol i agree. i dont understand why free agents open their mouth its only going to hurt them. and hes basically saying either 1)if they dont resolve this manning issue soon his decision will be made up and hes not coming back or 2) im gone if manning is gone.

and if i were irsay id call hiim up and say well it was great having you on the team when we did, but your comments are telling me you are not happy so go find another team to be happy with. but im not irsay so who knows what will happen. would be nice to have him around to give luck a veteran receiver with big game experience on both sides of him. but i can see a WR being drafted in the second or third round and end up being like a Andy Dalton/AJ Green deal. that would be really nice lol

With all the has been going on this off-season with the firing and hiring of the GM, HC, OC, DC, position coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, and hosting the Super Bowl, why do some of our players feel "left out" or "ignored"? All of these things taking place are much bigger fish for Irsay to fry than sitting down and trying to talk contracts, when you have no idea if you're going to have the albatross of Manning's contract that you have to account for. Patience is a virtue and if you do become a FA Wayne, unless you get an offer right away that overpays for you, I'm sure you're going to show patience and take the best deal with the right team for you, so why can't you extend that patience to the Colts. The fact that Mathis has remained quiet through all of this gives me even more respect for him than I did before.

Skipping mini camp is not the way to gain respect in my eyes. or probably the front office either.......

That is the business of the NFL. Its not like college or highschool. Its a business. They work under contracts. They are not payed hourly. So, if the contract isnt signed, or you want to renegotiate, you hold out. Most star players have to go through that process unless the organization decides to make you priority one. But, for some reason over Reggies career, he has never been given that respect. There are usually other players contracts up at the same time and the Colts have usually taken care of them first. Maybe its because Peyton is so good the front office always thought they could get any reciever and make him a star with Peyton. I am not sure. But, I do know that Reggie is a talented reciever and he did deserve more face time with his contract over the years. But, this time around I am not sure he will be back.

That is the business of the NFL. Its not like college or highschool. Its a business. They work under contracts. They are not payed hourly. So, if the contract isnt signed, or you want to renegotiate, you hold out. Most star players have to go through that process unless the organization decides to make you priority one. But, for some reason over Reggies career, he has never been given that respect. There are usually other players contracts up at the same time and the Colts have usually taken care of them first. Maybe its because Peyton is so good the front office always thought they could get any reciever and make him a star with Peyton. I am not sure. But, I do know that Reggie is a talented reciever and he did deserve more face time with his contract over the years. But, this time around I am not sure he will be back.

He has made a very good living out of this team. Don't get me wrong, I've liked Reggie, but when the chip were down in the play-offs, I've not seen him shine that brightly. If holding out is the way of getting attention, stuff 'em. Oh, if you think holding out is a 'professional business act', then you have poor values.

He has made a very good living out of this team. Don't get me wrong, I've liked Reggie, but when the chip were down in the play-offs, I've not seen him shine that brightly. If holding out is the way of getting attention, stuff 'em. Oh, if you think holding out is a 'professional business act', then you have poor values.

This isnt a production line at GM. These are elite athletes that are the best in the world at what they do. There are a handfull of people that can do what he did at the level he did it. So, yes he has the right to hold out and get what he deserves. A world class business man would do the same thing if he new there were other companies that would bend over backwards to hire them. You tell me the difference. Unless its just jealousy and you think everyone should just get in line an do what is told of them and accept what is given to them. Thats fine too. Infact, I am not even saying your wrong. I am only saying that Reggie has always done this, and I think we are all glad he was a Colt. Just because he is older and not as productive doesnt mean he isnt going to be the same old Reggie.

With all the has been going on this off-season with the firing and hiring of the GM, HC, OC, DC, position coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, and hosting the Super Bowl, why do some of our players feel "left out" or "ignored"? All of these things taking place are much bigger fish for Irsay to fry than sitting down and trying to talk contracts, when you have no idea if you're going to have the albatross of Manning's contract that you have to account for. Patience is a virtue and if you do become a FA Wayne, unless you get an offer right away that overpays for you, I'm sure you're going to show patience and take the best deal with the right team for you, so why can't you extend that patience to the Colts. The fact that Mathis has remained quiet through all of this gives me even more respect for him than I did before.

These players (many of them) think they are "bigger" than the game or their teams.

They are wrong. This is what you get when you overpay and coddle employees.

They are here today, gone and forgotten tomorrow. ALL of them.

They are ALL replaceable, much like we are in our jobs.

Reggie Wayne has all the rights to say what he wants to say. I just hope we resign him to our team. He said he wants to retire here. As fans we need to respect whatever he has to say. Reggie has given us tremendous memories and I hope he has more to come.

I can tell you that several of the Giants FAs have indicated that they've already started talks with the team about their contracts. Weatherford (the punter) said that they were working on a new contract the day after the superbowl. Terrell Thomas who was on IR this year has also said the team has been in touch about it.

That's awesome for the Giants and their Free Agents, don't know how that is suppose to translate to the Colts. The Giants didn't go out and replace pretty much everybody on the staff and coming off a Super Bowl win everybody is feeling great and all lovey dovey. I'm pretty sure the money after our SB win flowed a little easier too. And the biggest thing of all is the Giants aren't making a huge salary cap decision on a QB that may or may not be the QB he needs to be. Nothing can be done with anybody on this team until a decision on Manning is made. Anybody with any knowledge of the situation knows that and Reggie should be even more in tune with how this process is going to have to play out. So why do discussions need to be made if they can't even be able to even throw out a number to the guy? Saying yes we wanna keep you but we don't even know what we can manage to offer you does nothing unless you're willing to take nothing.

That's awesome for the Giants and their Free Agents, don't know how that is suppose to translate to the Colts. The Giants didn't go out and replace pretty much everybody on the staff and coming off a Super Bowl win everybody is feeling great and all lovey dovey. I'm pretty sure the money after our SB win flowed a little easier too. And the biggest thing of all is the Giants aren't making a huge salary cap decision on a QB that may or may not be the QB he needs to be. Nothing can be done with anybody on this team until a decision on Manning is made. Anybody with any knowledge of the situation knows that and Reggie should be even more in tune with how this process is going to have to play out. So why do discussions need to be made if they can't even be able to even throw out a number to the guy? Saying yes we wanna keep you but we don't even know what we can manage to offer you does nothing unless you're willing to take nothing.

Because people asserted that it's too early for teams to be making contact with players, and in fact, it's not. Even if they can't settle things with Reggie, they can certainly call and say hello and we haven't forgotten about you. We're not in a lockout this year.

Because people asserted that it's too early for teams to be making contact with players, and in fact, it's not. Even if they can't settle things with Reggie, they can certainly call and say hello and we haven't forgotten about you. We're not in a lockout this year.

I understand where you're coming from, but like I said Reggie has to know that every decision going forward all depends if Manning is going to be here or not. Until that is decided everything else is a moot point.

This isnt a production line at GM. These are elite athletes that are the best in the world at what they do. There are a handfull of people that can do what he did at the level he did it. So, yes he has the right to hold out and get what he deserves. A world class business man would do the same thing if he new there were other companies that would bend over backwards to hire them. You tell me the difference. Unless its just jealousy and you think everyone should just get in line an do what is told of them and accept what is given to them. Thats fine too. Infact, I am not even saying your wrong. I am only saying that Reggie has always done this, and I think we are all glad he was a Colt. Just because he is older and not as productive doesnt mean he isnt going to be the same old Reggie.

I do not know of any world class business man who would 'go on strike' to get a better deal. What sort of predecent would that set amongst the staff. And if these 'world class businessmen' wanted to make a statement, they would resign and go elsewhere. So I'm sorry, I'll have to respectfully disagree with your views on this......acting like a prima donna is not a class business trait, no matter the sector....

I really doubt they'd sign him, they need a speed receiver. They already went the old vet route with 85 and that didn't work out too well.

But, it looks like he won't be a Colt next year anyway.

ummm, when was Reggie ever a "speed" reciever? He is a Wes Welker clone.... or Welker is a Wayne clone.....

regardless... it's a paralell move.

wherever he goes he will be amazing!!! Best hands in football and one of the smartest route runners out there. What he lacks for in speed he makes up with intelligence and catching ability.

Irsay you lose on this one.

So smart at route running that he got open how may times v the Jets in our last play-off failure? Or are we going to blame our coaching, or that Revis is just so good that NOBODY can get seperation from him? Reggie is a great player, but he is aging, and had the comfort of #18 throwing to him for so many years.......

The main issue to me is that the Colts have been a extremely close team where players where proud to be playing next to each other and depending on each other, mainly due to Manning's leadership. This is a huge advantage we have had and one Tony Dungy was so good at promoting. We promote from within rather than bringing in expensive prima donna(sp) free agents. Irsay payed what was needed to keep players here. Now the new management is ripping apart this inspiring team atmosphere during this time of change by not staying in contact with the players. They didn't even talk with Peyton until he went to the press about it. You have all these new coaches and they can not get on the phone with ALL the potential Colts players and talk about how they look forward to working with them, whether the GM plans on potentially signing them or not, and how proud they are with working with men of such caliber, etc... Even new CEOs and managers of corarations always send out such memos. Make the players feel that they are still apart of the Colts and are admired for their talents and appreciated for the hard work they have shown like Irsay has finely learned to do with Peyton, and that they will be kept upto date as decisions are made. Management is the one actiing like a prima donnas!!!(sp) Creating/keeping a strong team atmosphere does not start in training camp.

Why does he keep talking? No one has heard Mathis say a word about his contract situation. Wayne keeps talking and making a huge deal out of it and acting like an annoying prima donna. Reggie isn't a top 5 WR, and he's close to falling out of the top 10. The more he talks, the more annoyed I get. He isn't the only free agent on the team, but he is drawing attention to himself like mad

Agree.

I saw another quote from him recently (paraphrasing) "my phone hasn't rung I haven't heard from the team, there's a problem in the chain of command."

Reggie is still just a player. All players are in the dark. He's been a team leader and should know better than this.

Frankly id like to see Wayne cut. Guys a boob. Prima Donna.

Wayne just needs to zip his lip. He's been incredibly steady for the Colts and has at least a couple of good years left even if he can't stretch the field as consistently any more. Love to have him back under the right terms.....and if not I'm sure he'll be able to help another team.

IMO If Peyton leaves, Reggie is likely close behind him wherever he goes, and they would make a good pair for a team like Miami, KC or Arizona (imagine Wayne and Fitzgerald).

Can really see NE though, while I wouldn't like it, who wouldn't blame a guy for wanting a shot at a ring or two before his career is over. Also, what receiver wouldn't like to be able to say he spent his whole career catching passing from Peyton Manning AND Tom Brady.