Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

Wow everyone went into a panic on offensive players and we managed to grab one of the best defensive players in the draft.  Couldn't have asked for things to work out much better for us.  

I might have considered Allen but I don't know the extent of his injury issues.  

Either way I'm very happy about this pick.  

Yep, it's absolutely awesome! I pulled an all-nighter I'm so excited!

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hooker, Green, Geathers, and Butler.

We've got 4 safeties but one cornerback.  I hope Ballard gets lucky the next two rounds.

Butler in the slot back again improves our CB position, Hooker takes Adams position and we play 3 safety looks more often now, like the Patriots did in the playoffs at a high level.

I didn't know much about Malik Hooker, but after reading the posts and checking him out, this was a nice pick. Some analysts were saying that he is inconsistent, but that doesn't concern me too much. The positives seem to outweigh the negative factors on this guy.

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So Hooker can see the ball well when he plays centerfield.  So can Butler.

Can he tackle?  Can he cover?  Is he durable?   I'm wondering if we took a guy not as good as Darius Butler with pick 15.

Holy Smokes that is a bad post

Just now, JColts72 said:

After sleeping on it, like the pick better then first reaction. Wish Reddick was at 15.

TBH, the Reddick pick by the Cards at 13 was the only pick that upset me before us. I wanted him pretty bad, but someone had to go before us (even with the amount of good luck we had). Despite that, we got a great player and even though I also wanted Reddick, I'm pretty happy.

I really liked what Ballard had to say about his reasoning for the pick. And he is right. On gameday, often times a victorious team is the one that has game-changing playmakers. Hooker was BPA, but he also fits a huge need for us: someone who can change the game, someone who can give us possessions back. 

This is huge.

Just now, RollerColt said:

I really liked what Ballard had to say about his reasoning for the pick. And he is right. On gameday, often times a victorious team is the one that has game-changing playmakers. Hooker was BPA, but he also fits a huge need for us: someone who can change the game, someone who can give us possessions back. 

This is huge.

Personally, I'd like to build a Seahawks type defense, and Malik Hooker is the Earl Thomas of that group. Tomorrow, we may get someone else as well (hopefully at LB).

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

And they got a guy who is a game changer. Some who takes the ball away. We didn't have any defensive game changers. Now we do. Everyone should be cheering.

As they said on NFL network.  "Last year the Colts had 8 interceptions.  Malik Hooker had 7."

10 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Bad pick. Cannot tacke, perfect for this team. Allen fell right to them.

I gotta disagree. He's not been playing that long and his tackling can get coached up. You can't coach up ball skills and the ability to get there through speed and recognition. The Colts need turnovers. I also liked his initial interview responses. Barring injury the Colts should be set at safety. On with the show. Great pick!

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Personally, I'd like to build a Seahawks type defense, and Malik Hooker is the Earl Thomas of that group. Tomorrow, we may get someone else as well (hopefully at LB).

That isn't likely to happen.  Seahawks had a really really good draft in order to do that.  I believe they got Sherman in like the 5th round.  

Those types of drafts are rare.  So I don't see us building the legion of boom anytime soon.

That said, with some good FA moves and some decent drafts focused heavily on defense I don't see a reason why the Colts couldn't put together a top 10 defense.  

The difficult part I think is going to be getting a good pass rusher.  While getting Hooker is extremely exciting and a big steal, at the same time, a lot of of the good pass rushers are all off the board now.  Lots of defensive talent still out there to be had, but not really at edge rush.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

That isn't likely to happen.  Seahawks had a really really good draft in order to do that.  I believe they got Sherman in like the 5th round.  

Those types of drafts are rare.  So I don't see us building the legion of boom anytime soon.

That said, with some good FA moves and some decent drafts focused heavily on defense I don't see a reason why the Colts couldn't put together a top 10 defense.  

The difficult part I think is going to be getting a good pass rusher.  While getting Hooker is extremely exciting and a big steal, at the same time, a lot of of the good pass rushers are all off the board now.  Lots of defensive talent still out there to be had, but not really at edge rush.

Watt and McKinley at the end of the draft hurt really bad. There's some solid players left though. I just wouldn't trade up for a linebacker anymore (maybe Zach Cunningham).

For all you whining that he's another TJ Green.  I suggest you watch the videos of each.  I chose both players highlights.   the difference is night and day.  Green appears to get very lucky and doesn't follow the QB, not to mention his tackling.  A lot of Green's plays were right place, right time.  Now look a Hooker's, hes fixed on following the QB, he goes up and MAKES the play, puts himself in position to make the play.  His tackling looks serviceable, much better than Green's.  and it's telling when the first 1/3 of the highlight video of Green is nothing but him showboating....

TJ Green 2016 Highlights

Malik Hooker's 2017 Highlights

Enough with saying he's TJ Green 2.0 now people.  

4 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I gotta disagree. He's not been playing that long and his tackling can get coached up. You can't coach up ball skills and the ability to get there through speed and recognition. The Colts need turnovers. I also liked his initial interview responses. Barring injury the Colts should be set at safety. On with the show. Great pick!

How does the tackling get coached up? They don't practice tackling in the nfl so I guess you just talk about it.

I Read 2 pages of this after i got home from work at 7am.  I had my heart set on Allen or Foster as well.  However, Foster may have been completely off Ballards Board since he was not even Responsible enough to stay away from something that was going to trigger the drug screen he KNEW he was going to have to take, and WHEN he was going to take it. 

Hooker is an elite safety prospect,, a "Blue chip' if you will.  Watch his tape, Yes he needs to learn better technique when tackling, but that is what experience and coaching is for.  Similar to Green we got last year, but with 500% better instincts and ball skills.

I love this pick. If Green improves his coverage skills, We'll have one of the best safety triplets in football.  Let Hooker and Green roam the back end, and Geathers can play nickel covering TE's and RB's.  

As much as i want a corner or pass rusher in the 2nd round, If Mixon is there,.......

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

For all you whining that he's another TJ Green.  I suggest you watch the videos of each.  I chose both players highlights.   the difference is night and day.  Green appears to get very lucky and doesn't follow the QB, not to mention his tackling.  A lot of Green's plays were right place, right time.  Now look a Hooker's, hes fixed on following the QB, he goes up and MAKES the play, puts himself in position to make the play.  His tackling looks serviceable, much better than Green's.  and it's telling when the first 1/3 of the highlight video of Green is nothing but him showboating....

TJ Green 2016 Highlights

Malik Hooker's 2017 Highlights

Enough with saying he's TJ Green 2.0 now people.  

The difference is night and day. Most of the people that like Malik Hooker (including me), study the draft and learn about the players. The majority who don't on here just didn't want another safety and probably don't know anything about Hooker because he wasn't supposed to fall to us in the first place.

8 hours ago, Mr_486lo said:

Ballad said himself "safety is the deepest he has seen in a long time". Which means we could have gotten one later. Plus we got Green still developing...

... And the Colts just got one of the top two safeties in this great safety class.  Win!

1 minute ago, Blueblood23 said:

How does the tackling get coached up? They don't practice tackling in the nfl so I guess you just talk about it.

Someone show me video where he tackling sucks? Please, cause I'm not seeing it.  

First Team AFCS, Associated Press, FWAA, Walter Camp, USA Today, The Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, Fox Sports and CBS Sports All-American ... First Team All-Big Ten (coaches and media) ... Thorpe Award semifinalist ... ranks sixth nationally with six interceptions and led the FBS with three INTs returned for TDs, including a critical TD-return in the season finale vs. Michigan ... also ranked second nationally with 181 INT return yards and he was third on the team with 67 tackles, including 5.0 tackles for loss ... 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The difference is night and day. Most of the people that like Malik Hooker (including me), study the draft and learn about the players. The majority who don't on here just didn't want another safety and probably don't know anything about Hooker because he wasn't supposed to fall to us in the first place.

I know right?  I am no expert and admit I'd not looked into Hooker, why, because a majority of mocks had him pegged as a top 10-12 pick.  We got him at 15.  I wasn't expecting us to go safety but I'm not mad that we did. I've watched his tape this morning and read multiple scouting reports.  All ranking him in the top 10 for the draft.  We'll be just fine.  That said, I have a feeling after how last night went, tonight there's gonna be an early run on either RB or OL..... meaning we have yet another chance at some first rounder quality D players coming down to us at 46

btw to you nah sayers who are hell bent on calling him another TJ Green, Green was slated as a 3 rounder, everyone said he'd be a reach in the 2nd and he was

3 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Wait....

The NFL doesn't practice tackling? Uh... I don't know what you watch during their practicing, but it's kind of hard for teams NOT to practice tackling... Since this is football we are talking about.

Are you an insider? A player or a coach? Do you attend every single practice that the Colts run, including during the season? How do you know this crucial piece of information?

3 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Mayock showed some whiffs tackling. In each case he never laid a hand on the ball carrier and was coming up in support and got beat by good moves. In some cases position can be achieved by a little less aggression.

A great pick Hooker is that shut down middle field ball hawking safety we have needed for years . Teams avoided throwing anywhere near this kid because he amazing instincts and the physical traits to make a play and take it to the house anytime the ball gets near his zone . We got a playmaker on defense there should be nobody questioning the pick .

5 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

I tried hard to think of any downside to this, and I finally think I have found it! 

A lot of wives and girlfriends are NOT going to like it, when they find out that their Colts fan husband or boyfriend is suddenly googling "Hooker"! 

OK, I will se myself out. :billiejean:

Good one.

For me, the biggest downside I see with Hooker (and I like the pick) is durability.   He's had some shoulder and hip issues.   Nothing too serious I hope. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

I tried hard to think of any downside to this, and I finally think I have found it! 

A lot of wives and girlfriends are NOT going to like it, when they find out that their Colts fan husband or boyfriend is suddenly googling "Hooker"! 

OK, I will se myself out. :billiejean:

:spit:

21 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Wait....

The NFL doesn't practice tackling? Uh... I don't know what you watch during their practicing, but it's kind of hard for teams NOT to practice tackling... Since this is football we are talking about.

Are you an insider? A player or a coach? Do you attend every single practice that the Colts run, including during the season? How do you know this crucial piece of information?

They don't practice live tackling anymore because of the nfl labor union.

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good one.

For me, the biggest downside I see with Hooker (and I like the pick) is durability.   He's had some shoulder and hip issues.   Nothing too serious I hope. 

His angles are God awful, but coachable. If he perfects that, he becomes a serious downhill tackling threat  

8 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Tells me a lot about what Ballard thinks of Green. I didn't like that pick and still don't.

8 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

And drafting Hooker does not mean Geathers is moving to linebacker he is a SS he will start next to Hooker who cares what happens with green 

Green was never drafted to be a Free Safety.  I got the feeling Pagano eventually wants to train him to be the 'nickel  CB; play the slot guy which is often an athletic Tight End these days.  A developed Green minimizes the mismatch a slow LB or small/short CB presents for a big/strong/fast TE in the slot.

But for now, Green is still learning to be a safety, period, and with Geathers, Hooker leap frogs ahead of Green. Green is still a project with high ceiling.

Our fans seem to want every draft pick to be a stud immediately on signing their contract. Those guys that are (and they are few and far between) typically near the end of their learning curve and don't improve much...you get what you see year in and year out until injuries set in.

Most college players are not really prepared for the NFL, as the college game is so different than the Pros.

24 minutes ago, bleevit said:

Mayock showed some whiffs tackling. In each case he never laid a hand on the ball carrier and was coming up in support and got beat by good moves. In some cases position can be achieved by a little less aggression.

I hope Mayock is right as I respect his opinion more than any of these other analysts.

19 minutes ago, B~Town said:

A great pick Hooker is that shut down middle field ball hawking safety we have needed for years . Teams avoided throwing anywhere near this kid because he amazing instincts and the physical traits to make a play and take it to the house anytime the ball gets near his zone . We got a playmaker on defense there should be nobody questioning the pick .

I do.

Talk that he has to be coached on tackling angles is frightening

How do we know he is healthy and he is that 'great, amazing' guy?

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

Just food for thought.  Conley.  Lattimore.  Two CBs that were top 15 talent.

How many times does Hooker just sit back and wait for the ball knowing he has two elite college CBs playing in the backfield.

OTOH, we have a year older Vontae and nobody.

Hope he doesn't have to perform like a traditional NFL FS does, because those skills apparently aren't talked about much, so I assume they are nothing special.

Maybe we'll get our CBs and he'll grow into the position, and that's the plan.  But if anybody thinks he's going to make plays with the Colts the same way he did at OSU, that those highlights and stats will automatically convert to play for the Colts, its not going to happen unless we get some good CBs at some point the next few seasons.

This was a greeaaaat pick. This kid is still learning the game. He is  going to improve his tackling and strength. If I remember correctly he only played one season as a starter and made that much noise. That's incredible. 

With experience and proper coaching, this kid will be GREAT. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Just food for thought.  Conley.  Lattimore.  Two CBs that were top 15 talent.

How many times does Hooker just sit back and wait for the ball knowing he has two elite college CBs playing in the backfield.

OTOH, we have a year older Vontae and nobody.

Hope he doesn't have to perform like a traditional NFL FS does, because those skills apparently aren't talked about much, so I assume they are nothing special.

Maybe we'll get our CBs and he'll grow into the position, and that's the plan.  But if anybody thinks he's going to make plays with the Colts the same way he did at OSU, that those highlights and stats will automatically convert to play for the Colts, its not going to happen unless we get some good CBs at some point the next few seasons.

We actually have Vontae, Butler in the nickel, and we need someone opposite Vontae, which we should get today.