Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones Released (Merged)

TKnight24

8 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

So 35 million left??  Me thinks Ballard has a replacement for Art. Could it be Hankins or Brandon Williams. I know that Jones was an end but I still think there is one more big name left before the draft.  CB or DL

Yeah I agree, question is who

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

So 35 million left??  Me thinks Ballard has a replacement for Art. Could it be Hankins or Brandon Williams. I know that Jones was an end but I still think there is one more big name left before the draft.  CB or DL

Brandon Williams is not on the market.  He got resigned by Baltimore

6 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I have to admit when we signed Jones I was happy, the injuries really derailed him in IND. When he played which wasn't often he was actually not bad. Re watching last years games agianest Houston in the 2nd game he was a beast. If only he was healthy and played like that all the time! He will sign somewhere. It is odd though it took this long to come to this decision?

takes a long time to watch film of each player even if he didnt play much

Unsurprising. My guess is we asked him to restructure again. His agent and he balked...wanted to see what the market was like before committing and probably after some quiet calls to GMs figured he could get his money if he was cut so they refused. Ballard said goodbye. Something like that.

3 hours ago, Jason_S said:

that is just not true.  not in a 1 gap system.  Now if they want to start doing some 2 gapping, then yes they'll need to add a big space-eating NT.  But if they don't plan to do that then there's no need to bring that type of player in.

We will see what happens I guess.

3 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

It was the right move. Anderson, Langford, Ridgeway, and Mcgill are better players. They would have been ahead of Jones on the depth chart and he can't play NT which makes him expendable. 

We had 7 lineman last year,  you've just listed 4.    And none of them are NT starters.    I don't know why you think Jones can't play the nose,  he did often during his 3 years with the Colts.

Parry is the missing name here.

But we've lost all our quality depth this off-season at the D-line.    It's now late in the off-season to be signing a D-lineman of any quality.     And I doubt we're spending more than one pick on the D-line.     

We are down bodies.    I'm sorry we were unable to workout a deal for a reduced contract for Jones.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We had 7 lineman last year,  you've just listed 4.    And none of them are NT starters.    I don't know why you think Jones can't play the nose,  he did often during his 3 years with the Colts.

Parry is the missing name here.

But we've lost all our quality depth this off-season at the D-line.    It's now late in the off-season to be signing a D-lineman of any quality.     And I doubt we're spending more than one pick on the D-line.     

We are down bodies.    I'm sorry we were unable to workout a deal for a reduced contract for Jones.

Can't really be counted as a body if you're never available to play

9 minutes ago, BPindy said:

Can't really be counted as a body if you're never available to play

I think Jones had a good record of playing in Baltimore.

And I thiink he played 11-12 games for the Colts last year.

The two seasons he didn't play much for the Colts, Jones suffered two high ankle sprains.   Those aren't his fault and are not a sign of an injury prone guy.     Stuff happens.

I was hoping he'd re-structure his deal again this season.    Sorry it didn't work out.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Jones had a good record of playing in Baltimore.

And I thiink he played 11-12 games for the Colts last year.

The two seasons he didn't play much for the Colts, Jones suffered two high ankle sprains.   Those aren't his fault and are not a sign of an injury prone guy.     Stuff happens.

I was hoping he'd re-structure his deal again this season.    Sorry it didn't work out.

I would've been fine with a restructure, but that was never likely to happen, especially with Ballard sticking to his philosophy and bringing in his own guys. His fault or not, 17 out of 48 games is just not good (also had a suspension in there). I definitely didn't dislike the guy, just his price tag.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, MTC said:

Majority of Colts fans were excited when Arthur Jones was signed. Too bad it didn't work out. 

That's because he was a stud in Baltimore, and he appeared to be 1 of what? 3 good signings by Grigson in his tenure. Jones was an absolute force those last 2 years in Baltimore. He was good with us those first few game he played in his first year. He's not that beast anymore, and he's just kinda soft. Always getting hurt. We should make a run at Sheldon Richardson. They said NYJ may be willing to take a 4th for him. Wonder what's wrong with their thinking? LOL. Richardson is a top tier DT. Top 10 at his position. I'd offer up a 17 4th and an 18 3rd if they wouldn't take just a 4.

Then you have to look at the other side of the picture. Henry Anderson showed what he could do his rookie year. He wasn't the same this year, didn't play too awful much. But close to being 2 years removed from the ACL tear, we should expect him to be the Anderson we saw his rookie year. A Justin Smith type DT/DE, and maybe a taller Kyle Williams. We all know Henry is a run stopping fool, but there's so much more he can become. He has the ability to improve is all around game, including my favorite.....Pass rush, and give us 5-6 sacks a year for the next 6-8 years or so. He can bat down some passes at the LOS, he can impact the game in multiple ways once he puts it all together, which should be this coming season IMO..... Then we have Ridgeway, who has some real talent as well. It's not unreasonable to think Ridgeway and Anderson may be our starting DE's of the future, and not just be decent starters but very, very good starters. I love McGill's pass rushing ability and potential. I say AND potential as he can become an even better pass rusher as he matures.

On 3/25/2017 at 8:31 AM, K-148 said:

Every player have a lot of bad, awful plays. Should the Colts cut Andrew, T.Y. or Vontae? And Cam was in SD 4 years ago. Maybe he has learned from his mistakes? I don't know another vet 3-4 NT available.

Cam Thomas SUCKS, I would trust an UDFA to start at NT more.