Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griffin Says He, Not Luck, Should Be Colts' Pick In Nfl Draft

I just think he's doing what every other player would do and trying to get himself to the number one pick/raise his stock.

Ahh yes. I forgot to add this to my post. I too believe he's doing what every other player would do and trying to get himself to the number one pick/raise his stock. But hey, what other player wouldnt do that?

Personally, Luck is mobile enough for Bruce Arians' system and may not be an athlete like RG3 (who compares more to a shorter Cam Newton, IMO) but Luck is mobile enough like a Brees or Rodgers to throw on the move and is pretty accurate doing so, if you have watched him. Accuracy trumps anything else at the next level, IMO; not arm strength, not mobility.

Brees, his height disadvantage that RG3 will run into, is overcome with the high number of shotgun formation snaps (not to mention Sean Payton's creativity to use an RB like Bush or Sproles in the backfield to force Ds to keep an eye on them as well in 2 RB formations etc.) and the tall WR/TE that the Saints have drafted - mainly Colston and Graham. The same kind of QB height in Michael Vick, Vick struggles because he cannot see the helmet of a DJax streaking across the field over the O-linemen as often, explains how more is the number of passes Brees can complete to Colston and Graham over the middle over Vick where more passes are towards the sidelines while in the pocket. We cannot go with the basic premise that a QB has to pass outside the pocket most of the time, most of the passes will still be from within the pocket.

Unless the Colts plan to go the tall WR and TE route to help a shorter QB, Luck is still the safer bet if we are going QB in round 1. Of course, everything does change if Peyton is back at least 80-90% by March 8, maybe it is a wing and a prayer on my part that he will be :).

What do you expect him to say? "No, I'm not the best player availble. There are guys better than me". It's good to be humble, but I expect every single player say they deserve to be the first pick

And I would add.....that they would want to be the starter too, except when it is politically expedient to say otherwise given the uncertainty of PM's situation.

The difference between 6'2" and 6'4" doesn't matter if the guy can play. Besides, RGIII was the more accurate of the two.

Personally, Luck is mobile enough for Bruce Arians' system and may not be an athlete like RG3 (who compares more to a shorter Cam Newton, IMO) but Luck is mobile enough like a Brees or Rodgers to throw on the move and is pretty accurate doing so, if you have watched him. Accuracy trumps anything else at the next level, IMO; not arm strength, not mobility.

Brees, his height disadvantage that RG3 will run into, is overcome with the high number of shotgun formation snaps (not to mention Sean Payton's creativity to use an RB like Bush or Sproles in the backfield to force Ds to keep an eye on them as well in 2 RB formations etc.) and the tall WR/TE that the Saints have drafted - mainly Colston and Graham. The same kind of QB height in Michael Vick, Vick struggles because he cannot see the helmet of a DJax streaking across the field over the O-linemen as often, explains how more is the number of passes Brees can complete to Colston and Graham over the middle over Vick where more passes are towards the sidelines while in the pocket. We cannot go with the basic premise that a QB has to pass outside the pocket most of the time, most of the passes will still be from within the pocket.

Unless the Colts plan to go the tall WR and TE route to help a shorter QB, Luck is still the safer bet if we are going QB in round 1. Of course, everything does change if Peyton is back at least 80-90% by March 8, maybe it is a wing and a prayer on my part that he will be :).

Brees has the best guard tandem in football. That has more to do with his success than tall targets. They clear out the middle of the field for him so he has plenty of throwing lanes from a 3-step drop. In that system, the tackles are far less important, as they use 2 TE's and/or 2 HB's to chip the ends before escaping into routes. The guards are what makes his life easier.

Brees is further proof that 2 inches won't make a difference. Especially if the shorter player is more athletic, with a stronger, more accurate arm.

That said, I do believe Luck is a safer prospect, but not because he's 2 inches taller.

politician? You really must not understand what sitting behind Peyton Manning would mean to anyone besides Luck.

Just to be the devil's advocate, Luck did say he would embrace the experience of sitting behind PM.

And for the height argument, I agree, height does not mean anything. But if we go with the shorter player, it's gonna take a longer time to build a line that can do that. We would also have to tweak our blocking scheme.

The difference between 6'2" and 6'4" doesn't matter if the guy can play. Besides, RGIII was the more accurate of the two.

What are you basing that on? Luck had the higher career completion percentage and going by that appears to be more consistantly accurate.

Sure about that?

I hate to say it but you're both wrong.

From CBS Sports.com

Andrew Luck

TOTAL 37 1033 686 9083 21 80 21 161.8

That is a 66.4% completion percentage

RGIII

TOTAL 40 1159 776 10071 17 77 75 158.9

That is a 66.9% completion percentage.

I don't know about the multiple injuries... he had a torn ACL in 2009. Tore it in the 1st series of a game in 2009, but he still finished the half (8 total series) and went 13-19 226 yards and 3 TDS.

I think Luck is the safer pick but if you have to minimize RGIII's accomplishments to make Luck look better then perhaps Luck is not that good.

From CBS Sports.com

Andrew Luck

RGIII

I don't know about the multiple injuries... he had a torn ACL in 2009. Tore it in the 1st series of a game in 2009, but he still finished the half (8 total series) and went 13-19 226 yards and 3 TDS.

I think Luck is the safer pick but if you have to minimize RGIII's accomplishments to make Luck look better then perhaps Luck is not that good.

OK. I will now no longer trust wikipedia. But, he only played I believe 3 games in '09.

From CBS Sports.com

Andrew Luck

RGIII

So Luck's completion percentage is 66% and RG3's is 67%? I am going to call that splitting hairs at best then. Frankly that's about as close to as the same as you can get when looking at career numbers. It just tells me both are really good at completing passes as I would expect any QB being looked at for the top pick in the draft to be.

• 2 weeks later...