Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

Yes we can? 

Technically, we CAN. But, we shouldn't. You add those salaries up with dollars allocated to rookies, to Butler/Turbin/Punter, to rollover for next year and injury insurance, and you're not left with much to actually fill out the roster.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BCoop said:

Technically, we CAN. But, we shouldn't. You add those salaries up with dollars allocated to rookies, to Butler/Turbin/Punter, to rollover for next year and injury insurance, and you're not left with much to actually fill out the roster.

seriously?  Glad we don't have anyone to resign from Grigson's 2013 class then, because following your logic, they'd all have to be let go.....

Just now, Shafty138 said:

seriously?  Glad we don't have anyone to resign from Grigson's 2013 class then, because following your logic, they'd all have to be let go.....

It's not logic. It's math. You don't blow your entire load on two guys when you have all kinds of issues with depth.

If Grigson's 2013 class wasn't such a steaming pile of %, we wouldn't even be having these discussions because we could just fill out the roster with affordable contracts and look to the draft for talent. Not really sure what that has to do with my original point anyway.

If Ballard can get a starter at Guard through the free agency, then I would be satisfied (ZIETLER!!!). That way, then we would no longer have to worry about drafting a OL in the draft and can pretty much go every pick defense except for the one where we take a RB (imagine that, all our picks defense and one RB).

Ballard is doing work, just give him some time. Who knows, he might even get Poe for cheaper than what everyone thought! Not too much noise recently about him and thats a good thing for us because it probably means he isn't gonna be as pricey or what not. 

Ballard is probably just sticking to his guns....he said he would be picky in free agency and likes to build via draft....I wouldn't be surprised if we just hit on a couple of second tier guys...say Zach Brown, Sheard, Paul Simon, etc... and call it a day for free agency. 

I do think it is possible we spend big on one guy....we almost have to, to hit the cap threshold number...free agency hasn't even started. Even though its frustrating hearing all these rumored deals, remember a few things....1. not all the deals go through, think Frank Gore and 2. There are some guys who will be solid contributors whom you won't have to pay $10 mil+ a year.

Just my two cents

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

LMAO. Man you guys are funny. Not just sports, but in your life in general.... Why would you expect anything less than the best????

What are you even talking about? 

Maybe some of us consider being financially prudent as the best course of action. This isn't UK Basketball or the New York Yankees. You can't just throw money at the wall and expect to be successful.

2 minutes ago, BCoop said:

What are you even talking about? 

Maybe some of us consider being financially prudent as the best course of action. This isn't UK Basketball or the New York Yankees. You can't just throw money at the wall and expect to be successful.

Actually. If you know what you're doing you can

4 minutes ago, BCoop said:

It's not logic. It's math. You don't blow your entire load on two guys when you have all kinds of issues with depth.

If Grigson's 2013 class wasn't such a steaming pile of %, we wouldn't even be having these discussions because we could just fill out the roster with affordable contracts and look to the draft for talent. Not really sure what that has to do with my original point anyway.

Well when speaking of "load blowing" The 2013 class that is non extant on the Colt's roster, would be using the precious cap space that has to be held onto.  The same space that we would spend re-upping 1, maybe 2 studs from that whiffed class, we can freely spend on 1 or 2 studs of a Free Agent nature.  Thusly, it has everything to do with your aforementioned post, and little to do with said load blowing.

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

Well when speaking of "load blowing" The 2013 class that is non extant on the Colt's roster, would be using the precious cap space that has to be held onto.  The same space that we would spend re-upping 1, maybe 2 studs from that whiffed class, we can freely spend on 1 or 2 studs of a Free Agent nature.  Thusly, it has everything to do with your aforementioned post, and little to do with said load blowing.

Life isn't that black and white. You can't just say because the 2013 draft failed we can use some bucket of extension dollars that were set aside for that class on 2017 Free Agents. It completely ignores every other signing/extension/decision that has taken place between then and now that has already compensated for the lack of help from that draft.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If we do get Chris Baker, start running a 1-gap 3-4 like Wade Philips does, let Chris Baker and TY McGill play the gap shooting NTs and rotate the others at DE, IMO.

um, the Colts have been running a 1-gap like Wade Phillips since they drafted Anderson/Perry and released Chapman/Hughes. :P

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

um, the Colts have been running a 1-gap like Wade Phillips since they drafted Anderson/Perry and released Chapman/Hughes. :P

Well then, Chris Baker is your guy then because he definitely provides more pass rush from the interior than Brandon Williams, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Alshon leaning towards eagles. rotoworld.com

Good. Haven't seen a first round WR win in a SB since Burress in SB 42 and Santonio Holmes in SB 43. I didn't want him anyways. Your elite QB should be able to make good WRs great with good protection and schemes. I'd rather focus on that.

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Looks like Ballard strking out at FA as often as Irsay does at trying to replace pags.

Nah, he is doing what Grigson did not, stay patient till week 2. We will get some second tier quality ones that will play with a chip on their shoulders because they weren't wanted as badly, guys that will fit our system and locker room, I think Ballard is focusing on that more than anything else, IMO. Even the $200 mil. D did not help the Giants win a playoff game, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on week 1 of free agency.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Nah, he is doing what Grigson did not, stay patient till week 2. We will get some second tier quality ones that will play with a chip on their shoulders because they weren't wanted as badly, guys that will fit our system and locker room, I think Ballard is focusing on that more than anything else, IMO. Even the $200 mil. D did not help the Giants win a playoff game, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on week 1 of free agency.

week 1, heck we aint even started Day 1...

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Agreed

57 minutes ago, KB said:

I wasn't expecting any big signings but if a portion of these connections are true then Ballard needs to step his game up. Kind of sad to lose out on every single one.

Lol. Well I believe Ballard alluded to the fact we weren't going to be a large player in the big splash signings. Don't be disappointed in what he already hinted to not being a part of. I'm sure he looked at all these guys, wanted several but set a limit. It's like being at an auction and thinking man, I want that item and the bidding starts out in a flurry and quiclkly surpasses what you want to pay for a used item.