Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tak McKinley

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

5-6 month recovery means by September he would be healthy if has the surgery in early April. I bet he gets picked in the Top 20. I still wouldn't mind it if we picked him 1st. If we don't pick him my plan B was either Taco or Barnett. I still like Lawson in Round 2 because I think he will be there. 

Who is Lawson?

Training camp is in July-Aug. so he'd be behind and more than likely not a contributor in early season. That's tough to swallow for a 14/15 pick if all heals well.

Worse case would be lost for season like Shaq Lawson last year for Bills.

Edited by JRnINDY

4 minutes ago, JRnINDY said:

Training camp is in July-Aug. so he'd be behind and more than likely not a contributor in early season. That's tough to swallow for a 14/15 pick if all heals well.

Worse case would be lost for season like Carl Lawson last year for Bills.

True but by late September/early October he would be ready to roll with fresh legs. If we pick him I would be fine with it. I am thinking long term. Guy is a beast.

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We can get an immediate starter with our 1st. pick.  He would be a wasted pick in the 1st IMO.  To many other better choices.   2nd. rd. for me at the earliest.  Surgery is surgery no guarantees he is the same player. 

It's not like it's a knee injury or anything like that. A torn labrum isn't the type of injury that causes a player to not be the same after. I liked him in the 1st before this, I love him in the 2nd.

49 minutes ago, stitches said:

Imagine both Reuben Foster and Takk fall to our pick in the first and second respectively... Do you take them?

Here's Takk benchpressing 230lbs 24 times with his torn labrum:

If I'm Ballard (which I'm not... or am I?) I'd definitely take them both if that were to happen, even if they weren't likely to be ready for TC... and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it. 

If he falls and we can pick him up in the 2nd then that is an absolute no brainer pick. He's a 1st round talent with a non career threatening injury.

Personally I'd still take him in the 1st. You don't skip on a talent like him because he might miss a few games in his rookie year.

Long and medium term its still a great pick.

I don't think you take a guy who is having surgery, will not be able to make camp because of it, isn't some prodigy type guy, our team isn't able to not have a starter for the line at full speed out of the gate and having so many options that are not only compatible with this team but worthy in the top 15 picks. I would not be opposed to a trade down into the lower 1st and getting him there and perhaps another 2nd and 3rd or even a high 3rd and next year 1st. I guess it depends on the mindset of the GM. Does he view this year, regardless of what he says in public, as a team that could compete this year with a couple FA pick ups on defense and another immediate starter in that 14-15 slot or does he view this as a 2 year plan? If it's the former, he picks bpa with the slotted pick already and maybe hopes Tak is there at #2 pick. If it's the latter, he could easily drop down, acquire more picks and still get some talent this year and add to it next as well for the vision. We will all find out once it happens and not 1 minute sooner. 

I would gladly still take him if we trade back in the first.  In the 2nd of course you take him but I see him going still in the 1st.  This is not a terrible injury.  I do not understand why people think if he missed training camp that this year would be a wash.  He still is able to learn and watch everything.  He will be a little behind with adapting to game speed but he can adapt to this with his athleticism.  I would love to have him and Foster if they fell to us with our first two picks because of slight injuries.

19 hours ago, stitches said:

Imagine both Reuben Foster and Takk fall to our pick in the first and second respectively... Do you take them?

Here's Takk benchpressing 230lbs 24 times with his torn labrum:

That is impressive, especially with his injury, but I could see why he has shoulder problems.  With the way he bounces the bar off his chest it takes his front delts out of the rep for a short time then they have to re-engage to hoist it back up.  I think this can lead to tears in the front delts.  I'm not saying this is how he got his injury but it certainly wouldn't do him any favors.