Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building block or JAG

CR91

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It was an issue even back in the Manning days. It's really annoying. 

No kidding!  Man, what is up with that?  Like D. Allen.... if we release him, he is picked up by another team and plays injury free for several seasons... its a curse, lol

(Please excuse the double quote... not sure what happened or how to correct it once it does... I can be a Homer sometimes)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

Mewhort is above average so I guess he's a BB

The rest are jags.

yall got low standards. 

I kindly disagree.  

Geathers hits like a linebacker and has range.  Reminds me of Bob Sanders a bit.  His drawback is much like Bob Sanders too as in he seems to be hurt a lot.  I am hopeful that changes.

Moncrief has good hands and is a bigger receiver (compared to our others at least)  and is feisty like Michael Irvin.  IMO he has a lot of potential that has yet to be tapped.

Mewhort is a solid pass protector and doesn't commit a lot of stupid penalties.

Good seemed ok, but likely JAG.  Will work while we build the defense then we can come back and shore up the OL.  Or he can go too, don't really care.

Dorsett might benefit from the teachings of a new receivers coach.   I sure hope he pans out.  Watching this year's highlight film I noticed he made a lot of clutch catches.... of course they didn't show the several drops.

Anderson played awful well the later part of 2015 before he blew his ACL... I think he is worth keeping an eye on.

Parry - Hard worker is seems but really JAG

Not pro-bowlers but will do if we can add some play makers.

Edited by BR-549
Auto correct misinterpreted my abbreviation

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I kindly disagree. 

Not pro-bowlers but will do if we can add some play makers.

Thats kind of the point of this. Pro bowl has what 80 players in it when it's all said and done? And none of our guys are pro bowl caliber. They don't need to be super stars. And there's nothing wrong with being a jag, there's 400 of them in the NFL.  But I just think there's 40 guys capable of being Moncrief, 30 can be mewhort. Every team in the league has a Good and a Green. Every team in the league has 2 Dorsetts. 

i agree with your assessment of getting some super star level talent. That would be great for all these guys. 

1 minute ago, IndyTrav said:

Thats kind of the point of this. Pro bowl has what 80 players in it when it's all said and done? And none of our guys are pro bowl caliber. They don't need to be super stars. And there's nothing wrong with being a jag, there's 400 of them in the NFL.  But I just think there's 40 guys capable of being Moncrief, 30 can be mewhort. Every team in the league has a Good and a Green. Every team in the league has 2 Dorsetts. 

i agree with your assessment of getting some super star level talent. That would be great for all these guys. 

I know and I get ya.... just being real in that we can't replace everyone now or even down the road to some extent.  I mean we already have them so why replace them when like you said anyone can be them.  Probably should decide which position changes will make the most immediate impact and go for it.

Trust me, I would love to see a team with Clark, Colie (think that is right spelling), Wayne, PM, Harrison, Saturday etc... but its the Rome and a day kinda thing.  We are spoiled from those days ..lol.

I really do like Moncrief and Clayton tho.... I think they have pro bowl talent but need others around them to help them reach their potential- especially CG.  

Mewhort -- BB if healthy (he is solid when he's not injured, but he's been injured in two of his 3 years (missing 2 games as a rookie and 6 last year)

Moncrief -- BB if healthy (Luck seems to like him as a target and he definitely has big play potential and red zone potential -- 7 TDs in 9 games last year is pretty good)

Dorsett -- Incomplete, I think he can be a building block if the line can give Luck time and he can be a little bit better utilized.  At this point, we've seen flashes of great and lots of long periods of disappearing.

Anderson -- BB If healthy (IMO, he should have been in the ROY talks as a rookie, then last year he seemed to be recovering most of the season -- if he can bounce back to pre-injury form and keep improving, definitely at BB)

Geathers -- BB if healthy (we have all seen what a playmaker this guy can be, and he's still pretty raw.. he also missed 7 games last year)

Parry -- JAG (as others have said, he is OK as a rotational lineman, but he's nothing to be excited about.. I like him as a player, but wouldn't be upset to see some UDFA or draft pick beat him out next year)

Good -- Incomplete (I think he'll wind up being a back-up to LeRaven Clark and Haeg, but he's got some versatility and he has shown flashes for someone who came from Mars Hill -- maybe in another year or 2 he'll have developed a full NFL repertoire and be a building block, but for now, he's just a JAG if you ask me)

Include any I missed

Zach Kerr -- JAG (I think he's in the same boat as Parry)

Jonatthan Harrison - JAG (he did show some glimpses last year as a guard, but my hopes aren't too high about him)

Erik Swoope -- incomplete (I think he showed enough potential last year to give us someone to be excited about -- can he continue to improve? If so, he could be a key part of this passing attack)

**Overall, I think we have a good shot at having many pieces in place on this team -- but we've got to figure a way to stay healthy.

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Mewhort - Building Block. He's a stud, top 15ish guard in the league IMO. Just need another stud at RG

Moncrief - Building Block. He's had some injury issues, but assuming he's healthy I'm expecting a 1,000 plus, 8-12 TD year from Crief next season. He's shown he's got the potential to be a beast.

Dorsett - Incomplete. Has the talent, but has yet to do anything to show me he'll ever realize his potential.

Anderson - Building Block - Was looking like a boss in his rookie year, then got injured. Next year with almost 2 years removed from the injury he may come in and ball out, but he didn't look the same this season. Maybe that's from the injury. That would be my guess as I think he has the potential to be a very good DT.

Geathers - Building Block. I'm not sure. I think he could be a solid SS with better players around him, maybe even a pretty good SS. He could be our enforcer type. Coming down, laying ball carriers out, making big first down saving tackles, I think he has potential as a blitzer, etc...BUT we have to have a true coverage safety next to him. Right now he's not any good in coverage, maybe he can improve on it a little yeah, but lets see how he looks next season, but I think he could possibly be a pretty solid starting SS for us.

Parry - JAG. He's not good enough to be starting on a good, super bowl caliber defense. He's a rotational DT and nothing more.

Good - JAG - Backup OL IMO.

Green - Incomplete. The kid was a joke this season and it makes me sick we took him......BUT he does have a TON of raw talent. He could be a top 5 safety in the NFL, or out of the league here in a couple years.

Mewhort?????  Is not as stud.    He was out how many games???   How much of a drop in production was there?  NONE!!     He is the most over rated lineman we have     He is slightly above average.    

6 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Mewhort?????  Is not as stud.    He was out how many games???   How much of a drop in production was there?  NONE!!     He is the most over rated lineman we have     He is slightly above average.    

I don't mean to be confrontational but I do think Mewhort is a solid guard.  It takes several years for linemen to develop and he started day one.  Perhaps a work in progress but a good one at that. He didn't come from Ball State.

As far as the drop-off when he is out...how can you really tell with all the line movement this year.  I am saying  it isn't here nor there as the line play was horrid on the right side all year.  Most of the issues came from the right side, not the left.  You probably know that a line is only as good as its weakest player and he certainly was not that.

I have to disagree with your statement.  In a kind respectful kind of way.  : )

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

So let's look at our 2014 and 2015 draft and you tell me if he's a building block or a JAG. I accept incomplete as well. For those that don't know, JAG means just another guy.

Mewhort   BB

Moncrief   BB

Dorsett     ??

Anderson  JAG

Geathers   BB

Parry  JAG

Good  BB

Include any I missed

I like Anderson and Parry need to show me a lot more to be considered a BB. Dorsett is a tweener, too early to say but he has speed which is something you cannot teach or coach up

8 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I don't mean to be confrontational but I do think Mewhort is a solid guard.  It takes several years for linemen to develop and he started day one.  Perhaps a work in progress but a good one at that. He didn't come from Ball State.

As far as the drop-off when he is out...how can you really tell with all the line movement this year.  I am saying  it isn't here nor there as the line play was horrid on the right side all year.  Most of the issues came from the right side, not the left.  You probably know that a line is only as good as its weakest player and he certainly was not that.

I have to disagree with your statement.  In a kind respectful kind of way.  : )

I'm good with him keeping his job. But can't call him a stud. 

1 minute ago, Coltfreak said:

I will buy that for now, but I think he has the potential.

For what is worth, and I have mixed feelings about Dakich, but he was talking about Jack last week on his show and complementing his size etc...

Thats not why I disagreed, its only a repeat of DD.  I have heard a lot of "real" football people complement him too.

I hope that he becomes the stud that we want/need him to be.... lets hope.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

So let's look at our 2014 and 2015 draft and you tell me if he's a building block or a JAG. I accept incomplete as well. For those that don't know, JAG means just another guy.

Mewhort

Moncrief

Dorsett

Anderson

Geathers

Parry

Good

Include any I missed

Mewhort is a building block and he has a HUGE opportunity to prove it going into a contract year.

Moncrief CAN be a building block but he has to show up big in a contract year. If he is lack luster I am inclined to say he is JAG.

Dorsett is JAG with plenty of opportunities to change that in the coming seasons. I am not a fan but love being proved wrong when it comes to doubting players.

Anderson is a building block going into a contract year. DEs are gonna be thinned out giving him a chance to prove his worth. If he fails he is JAG.

Geathers is a building block for now but, who knows what free agency or the draft will bring. He could have to put up or shut up in his sophomore season.

Parry is a JAG. I like Parry but, I can't help but think he finds himself on the second string  once this defensive rebuild is under way.

Good is a JAG. Second string or worse as the right side of the offensive line gets much more needed attention.

All of these guys can help the team... I wouldn't want any of them cut. 

Perry is JAG, but decent rational D-Linemen are valuable commodities in the NFL... Same thing with Good. He isn't a building block per se, but he should serve an important purpose as a backup who can play multiple positions. 

I don't see Dorsett as a building block as the third wr. I think he might eventually be good enough to be considered that, but not with two guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Maybe for another team on his second contract. 

7 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Mewhort: building block

Moncrief: building block

Dorsett: jury's still out unfortunately, though he's shown flashes

Anderson: I think building block, but I suspect that he wasn't truly 100% at any point last year

Geathers: definitely a building block, but health is already a major concern

Parry: still not sure how I feel about him, probably JAG

Good: very solid player for a 7th rounder, but is probably a better backup option than a starter

I agree with this.

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Mewhort

Moncrief

Dorsett

Anderson

Geathers

Parry

Good

Include any I missed

This another grigs draft hate thread? I notice thats whats listed.

makes mor sense to look at whole team, no?

7 hours ago, MFT5 said:

yea my fault just remembered  but I gotta soft spot for him so I always feel the need to jump to his aid on here

Yeah, wanna see him shine myself. He has great physical measurables, and we'll see if Pagano can raise Greens game. Love his attitude. 

12 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

Yeah, wanna see him shine myself. He has great physical measurables, and we'll see if Pagano can raise Greens game. Love his attitude. 

He's got some serious growing up to do, both on the field and on social media. He is a freak athlete though, & I'm definitely rooting for him.

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Mewhort - Building Block. He's a stud, top 15ish guard in the league IMO. Just need another stud at RG

Moncrief - Building Block. He's had some injury issues, but assuming he's healthy I'm expecting a 1,000 plus, 8-12 TD year from Crief next season. He's shown he's got the potential to be a beast.

Dorsett - Incomplete. Has the talent, but has yet to do anything to show me he'll ever realize his potential.

Anderson - Building Block - Was looking like a boss in his rookie year, then got injured. Next year with almost 2 years removed from the injury he may come in and ball out, but he didn't look the same this season. Maybe that's from the injury. That would be my guess as I think he has the potential to be a very good DT.

Geathers - Building Block. I'm not sure. I think he could be a solid SS with better players around him, maybe even a pretty good SS. He could be our enforcer type. Coming down, laying ball carriers out, making big first down saving tackles, I think he has potential as a blitzer, etc...BUT we have to have a true coverage safety next to him. Right now he's not any good in coverage, maybe he can improve on it a little yeah, but lets see how he looks next season, but I think he could possibly be a pretty solid starting SS for us.

Parry - JAG. He's not good enough to be starting on a good, super bowl caliber defense. He's a rotational DT and nothing more.

Good - JAG - Backup OL IMO.

Green - Incomplete. The kid was a joke this season and it makes me sick we took him......BUT he does have a TON of raw talent. He could be a top 5 safety in the NFL, or out of the league here in a couple years.

Agree with all points.

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Mewhort

Moncrief

Dorsett

Anderson

Geathers

Parry

Good

Include any I missed

incomplete for all..to be fair

8 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I read it all. Makes no sense. None. So if he does become a top 5 safety in the NFL, will you be unsick?

Dude. Yes. What kind of question is that? I mean pretty much every Colt fan who knows football wishes we had taken a safer, better pick like Whitehair.to have solidified our OL instead of Green.....AS OF NOW. And any Colt fan will end up happy if Green realizes his potential. He's a boom or bust kinda guy. We needed a safe pick, not a gamble. All I'm saying is it doesn't look like he's on that track and as of now I had rather have Whitehair, or 2-3 other guys I liked, but yes man. If Green lives up to his potential I will be happy we took him, just as every one of us will, but a lot of times those height-weight-speed raw prospects never develop. And personally I don't expect Green to ever become a top 5 safety. But anyways...So I said incomplete because he just finished his rookie year, and he could go either way (stud or out of the NFL in 3 years) but again. As of now I hate the pick. Maybe he'll prove me wrong I don't know. Hints the incomplete you know? I don't get what you don't understand. If he keeps sucking I'll keep hating the pick, but if he puts it all together by his 2nd or 3rd year I will love the pick. And again personally I do not expect him to ever be anything special.

But here's a summary to break it down since you don't get it.

1) I hate the pick as of now

2) Yes he does have a ton of raw talent

3) I personally doubt he reaches his potential, but if he does he could possibly be a top 5 safety

4) As of now I wish we had gone with the safer pick in Whitehair

5) If I'm wrong and Green reaches his potential (doubtful IMO) I will love the pick.

6) If I believed he would reach his potential I would have a different opinion, but again he was just terrible this year and didn't even show flashes of quality play.

4 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Slightly above average is a 'stud' on our O-line right now. 

20 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Dude. Yes. What kind of question is that? I mean pretty much every Colt fan who knows football wishes we had taken a safer, better pick like Whitehair.to have solidified our OL instead of Green.....AS OF NOW. And any Colt fan will end up happy if Green realizes his potential. He's a boom or bust kinda guy. We needed a safe pick, not a gamble. All I'm saying is it doesn't look like he's on that track and as of now I had rather have Whitehair, or 2-3 other guys I liked, but yes man. If Green lives up to his potential I will be happy we took him, just as every one of us will, but a lot of times those height-weight-speed raw prospects never develop. And personally I don't expect Green to ever become a top 5 safety. But anyways...So I said incomplete because he just finished his rookie year, and he could go either way (stud or out of the NFL in 3 years) but again. As of now I hate the pick. Maybe he'll prove me wrong I don't know. Hints the incomplete you know? I don't get what you don't understand. If he keeps sucking I'll keep hating the pick, but if he puts it all together by his 2nd or 3rd year I will love the pick. And again personally I do not expect him to ever be anything special.

But here's a summary to break it down since you don't get it.

1) I hate the pick as of now

2) Yes he does have a ton of raw talent

3) I personally doubt he reaches his potential, but if he does he could possibly be a top 5 safety

4) As of now I wish we had gone with the safer pick in Whitehair

5) If I'm wrong and Green reaches his potential (doubtful IMO) I will love the pick.

So you are generally undecided. Excellent, thanks for clarifying. 

Ps - I got it. All of it. Trust  me.

Parry may very well be a quality backup for us the next 4 or 5 years. But like I said. Baring a crazy, unexpected breakout season he needs to be a rotational DT behind a beast like Brandon Williams. Parry, McGill, and Kerr would be decent as our main 3 backups on the DL. I  really like Parry's non stop motor and his attitude, he could be a nice guy to have in the locker room if he's a respectable backup. I still see McGill as the guy who could be a big time rotational DT for us. He can play all over the DL and has the burst off the line, and decent enough speed to get into the backfield and take down the ball carrier or get the sack, and just be disruptive all the way around. Hope he takes a big step in his 3rd season next year. I don't see him becoming a great starter or anything, but like I said. I think he can be a very, very solid rotational DT capable of giving us 3-4 sacks a year rotating in and out. I still like Kerr too, and again, as a backup/rotational guy who can play all over the DL ala McGill

How did we forget Ridgeway???? I liked him coming into the draft and even said I thought he could end up being one of the best DT's to come out of this class. I think he has some monster potential, and I see him as a breakout candidate next season. I think he has the potential to be an all around, very good DT for us. I could see him developing into a guy who can put up 5-6 sacks a year and be a force against the run AKA an all around just good DT. If we nail FA and the draft we still really need a couple or 3 of Ridgeway, Anderson, Geathers, GREEN!!!, Dorsett, Haeg, or Clark to have breakout years and become household names around the league.

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

Mewhort

Moncrief

Dorsett

Anderson

Geathers

Parry

Good

Include any I missed

How long as Parry been in the league, 2 years, I don't know man...that's an awful short time to decide he's completely expendable..especially when he has consistently shown an ability over every other person on the list....Availability. I think that gets highly over looked.  

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

How did we forget Ridgeway???? I liked him coming into the draft and even said I thought he could end up being one of the best DT's to come out of this class. I think he has some monster potential, and I see him as a breakout candidate next season. I think he has the potential to be an all around, very good DT for us. I could see him developing into a guy who can put up 5-6 sacks a year and be a force against the run AKA an all around just good DT. If we nail FA and the draft we still really need a couple or 3 of Ridgeway, Anderson, Geathers, GREEN!!!, Dorsett, Haeg, or Clark to have breakout years and become household names around the league.

The OP was talking about the 14-15 draft.  No doubt Ridgeway is  a building block. 

Except for Luck, which was a no brainer, 16 may turn out to be Grigson's best draft class.

Mewhort - building block - great guard 

Moncrief - if he doesn't breakout this year (like he was supposed to last year) then I'm afraid he's JAG 

Dorsett - JAG - just a fast runner with poor hands

Anderson - I want to believe he's a building block, but I'll reserve judgement until after this year 

Geathers - building block - but with his injuries, you can't count on him for a whole season 

Parry - JAG 

Good - JAG 

14 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Did they ever disclose how serious Mewhort's injury was that landed him on IR?

I never heard, did look a little right after our season ended.  Usually not a good sign when they keep it quiet.  Maybe just because at the time it really didn't matter.  I hope he is okay.  

17 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I agree and sadly it seems we have had our share of those type lately.

Health is always a wild card. And it seems as though the Colts are always among the leaders in games missed due to injury. There have been threads surmising what might be behind it. Bad luck, strength and conditioning, the LOS turf?? That is off topic.

To me Anderson is an unknown at this point because of knee recovery. I hope Geathers doesn't suffer the same misfortune as Bob Sanders. I also hope Mewhort's career isn't affected too much by injury. If all three can overcome health issues they are BB.

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I never heard, did look a little right after our season ended.  Usually not a good sign when they keep it quiet.  Maybe just because at the time it really didn't matter.  I hope he is okay.  

I found this yesterday... looks like it wasn't a ACL tear, but a bone/meniscus injury, and that he'll be ready for OTAs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9639/jack-mewhort

15 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

In 3 seasons he's given up a total of 3 sacks (2.5 in '14, .5 in '15, 0 in '16). Not sure what else you're looking for in order for him to be "stud" material, but I think that's probably a pretty good foundation considering how much the Colts throw the ball.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=27587